Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I appreciated the pun :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The Dark Id posted:

Episode CXXXVIII: 3C3C1D119440927

This is a great title and episode number.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Why? Why would you make us remember this moment?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Because his real name is actually Yoko Taro. TWIST!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not familiar with that one, which FMV game is it from?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Sith's Revenge 2: The Clones Attack!

Yeah, the exclamation point is part of the name. It's... it's not a good game. Weirdly high budget though, they got Sam Jackson in his post-Jurassic Park days before he REALLY blew up. Apparently they told him he could bring his own weapon and that was enough.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The DLC was all over the place for me. Some bits are brilliant, some are busywork. I seem to remember the voice-acting in the arenas being very good. And the writing.

Most of the rewards are excellent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

For me, the DLC was a hard "not worth it" up until one part of it where it gets to a point where it's a soft "not worth it". You'll know when we're there, most likely.

But in terms of actively supporting developers I enjoy greatly, I don't mind getting swindled a little. And I don't believe I paid that much thanks to Hong Kong dollars cards being quite cheap when it comes to currency conversion.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, I'm waiting for a PSN half off sale on the DLC before I buy it. $14 is pretty steep for what it includes.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
It's fun looking at some of the rule numbers and imagining what happened to suddenly make the rule necessary. It's like the programming log of a micro-manager who also has to worry about people's feelings being hurt.
15,000 rules in - I know they aren't in the tribe, but you can't just kill them if they want to take the trial.
24-31,000 rules in - Look, they're putting in a lot of effort. Just actually watch them perform, wish them luck, don't sass them for trying, and shut up during the match.
60-61,000 rules in - How long have we been doing this? No, you can't just deny their request to participate. And hey, you! This is your trial, so fight your own battles. I don't want to see you standing back while your dog goes around ripping off crotches, you hear me?

Episode CXXXVII

The Dark Id posted:

If you were just a complete busta I’d just harshly as a human,

an option Platinum had done with games that wasn’t this one...

Guessing "judge" and "weren't"

Episode CXXXVIII

The Dark Id posted:

simpler from where we left off at Route C’s conclusion 9S isn’t on a murderous rampage with encroaching insanity

Needs a period.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just finished the game having played through over Christmas.

Holy loving poo poo it was amazing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

Better question is, how did you forget?

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
That concept art reminds me of a ps1 jrpg
It just has that feel to it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Augus posted:

Alcohol.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Arkanumzilong posted:

That concept art reminds me of a ps1 jrpg
It just has that feel to it

It has:

1. A top-down perspective that's a weird cross between SNES 2D and isometric
2. Extremely detailed background that looks pre-rendered
3. Despite the artistic quality of the background, the image quality is somewhat low and has some grain
4. Character model that looks less detailed in comparison

All it needs is a janky walking animation for the main character and unavoidable random battles interrupting the music.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

CmdrKing posted:

Sith's Revenge 2: The Clones Attack!

Yeah, the exclamation point is part of the name. It's... it's not a good game. Weirdly high budget though, they got Sam Jackson in his post-Jurassic Park days before he REALLY blew up. Apparently they told him he could bring his own weapon and that was enough.

... are all of you taking the mickey? Because I thought I knew where that screenshot is from, but all of you have confused the hell out of me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

painedforever posted:

... are all of you taking the mickey? Because I thought I knew where that screenshot is from, but all of you have confused the hell out of me.

It looks like a screenshot to you?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
We're all going on about the screenshot quoted by idonotlikepeas, right? That's a screenshot from that seminal classic "Punch and Judy (with the Force)" written and directed by George Lucas. Starring two real-life mannequins. Amazing how he got such wooden performances out of flesh and blood.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Now we know why they dislike sand so much, it gets in the puppet joints and blocks them!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Augus posted:

Look, whatever me, a sharpened metal probe, and a 1mm square of my neural tissue decide to get up to in the privacy of my home is my own business.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXXXIX: BattleBots

Music: Forest Kingdom (Quiet)

Hey, did you know Animal-loving Machine and his moose are totally fine? It’s true! Good for him. Especially with the Forest Kingdom guerilla fighters hiding out in bushes and up trees a few paces ahead. None of them can stand up against the might of a moose, so they’ll all be fine. Scientist Machine and the Machine Lifeform Space Program are also perfectly fine too. Remember that time we accidentally paid to send a machine to Mars? Such innocent times...

Edit: Actually, Scientist Machine ate it during the purge of Pascal's Village. The space program is still fine. Someone can come along to pick up his work at a later date.

Anyway, let’s return to the nightmare hellscape that is late-stage capitalism downloadable content. Our next stop is one I neglected to show off earlier because the Forest Kingdom is enough of an obnoxious area to traverse that I never knew this one existed until the DLC came about. There’s a waterfall in the northeastern corner of the Forest Zone which hides another elevator with a machine lifeform sentry. Let’s see what he has to say...

...You are recognized as a friend. Permission to enter granted.

Bud, you’ve clearly got a hold of an out of date database regarding 9S’s relationship with the machines there... But if you say so. This is the only arena that is only available to 9S. There’s a very good reason for that which we’ll see shortly. But first a quiet elevator ride...

DLC Music: Colosseum

Didn’t you read the music track, 9S? It’s a Colosseum. Sheesh.

As with the Trial of Sand, there are a number of robots idling about for our android to converse with before going to the receptionist to begin the DLC fights proper. Let’s take a look around first.

This dude knows what’s up. Now you’ve got to take it one step further and get a sick paint job on that set-up. Flames and poo poo, ya know? But don’t you dare come back here with an anime babe slapped on the side of that thing. You’ll be dead to me if that happens, machine.

410,757,864,530 DEAD MACHINES and like 90% of them were idiots like you with a sword. Yeah... maybe rethink the melee method, my guy.

Spoilers: His dad died. No moral.

Shoot ‘em in the kneecap and suplex. Incredibly effective every time.

I’d be a shame to let all these parts go to waste, no?

So this machine is a DLC materials shop. It sells assort upgrade components at reasonable prices. Of particular note: Rusted Clumps, Titanium Alloy, Broken Keys, Broken Circuits, Rusty Bolts, Severed Cables and Broken Batteries were all materials that previously had to be farmed and were not sold by a vendor. Granted, a few basically grew on trees from common machine drops but still... It’s nice! The rest of the entries only appeared in one of Emil’s randomized inventory which was its own pain in the rear end. So this is a nice speed boost to maxing out all of the weapons to unlock the final sidequest.

Beyond the colosseum’s entry hall are two long hallways which house idle machines, all of a different type. They’re just chilling out.

We’re told to buzz off and check in at the front desk if we try to interact with any of ‘em. There’s a certain protocol to follow here, 9S. C’mon. Show some tact.

Sure... we’ll get to that in a minute. But if we run past the receptionist and up some stairs, we’ll come to the Colosseum proper. I’m glad Adam left behind his interest in blood sports to spread to the rest of his brethren. We can chat up some of the participants as they cheer on their favored mechanical gladiator.

Ugh, no no no no NO. Did you even study theory!?
Good luck! I’m rooting for all of you!

Dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee!
Shhh! I’m trying to concentrate on the match!
Go! Go! Smash them all to a pulp!

Yep. Lemme guess, it’s harvest parts leftover from fallen gladiators? Pfft... That doesn’t even register on the grim scale. We’ve still got the cores of a bunch of dead robot children who commited suicide out of fear and had their parts harvested by their memory wiped kindly uncle. We don’t even *know* these idiots fighting in the ring.

My money’s on the large bipedal unit!
My money’s on the medium-size bipedal unit!
...I’m rootin’ for ya.
What he said!

OK. That’s enough bugging spectators. Let’s return to the front desk and see what this DLC arena is all about...

Huh!? What are you—
Identification confirmed. Have you ever used a machine?
Er, I’m not sure what you mean?
So you are new. First time in arena.
Yes, but—
We hold championships. Fights. We find strongest machine in the world. Prizes await. Good good prizes. Prizes for winners. Competitors sign in at front desk.
The hell is going on here...?
You are in?
<Sure, why not?>

So begins the Underground Colosseum sidequest. Again, this is a DLC exclusive quest that does not affect our completion percentage. Let’s hear more about the details and why only 9S can do this arena...

...You understand how machines feel. That body there. You can handle it.
Huh?

Good luck. Good good luck.
<Ask for an explanation.>
What would you like to ask about?
<How does this work.>
The rules are simple. You just select the difficulty here at the reception... And then choose which machine you want to control. That’s all.
<How do I take over machines?>
Taking control of us is simple. Just hack into a machine without getting noticed. I recommend sneaking up from behind.
I’m only telling you this because I want this place to thrive... If anyone finds out, I’ll become target practice, so let’s keep this between us, okay?
<What do levels mean?>
The level of the body you control is based on your own level.

OK. So this arena is about utilizing that whole barely utilized mechanic where 9S can hijack machines and pit ‘em against other machines. Which I suppose is a decent use of a mechanic that probably had a lot of time put into it and can be completely ignored by the player outside of one or two sections. The first rank of the Underground Colosseum battles is Level 40. I think we can handle that for a taste of what’s to come...

All of the machines we found idling about in the hallways are machine types 9S previously hijacked during normal gameplay. We can select from any of ‘em like mechanical Pokémon for the fight. Given our experiences, it’s fairly obvious what the go-to machine is for being reasonably competent.

Aww... what? C’mon! Tch... Fine... We’ll take a medium-biped.

I don’t like the phrasing of that question, but yes. We’ll chose you, chief.

The last order of business, at least with the humanoid biped machines, is to select their weapon of choice. I don’t think this one is dictated by which ones we’ve hijacked in-game. Given almost every arena fight has featured aerial enemies, I’m going to go ahead and say melee only machines might find that problematic... So let’s go with a gun, hoss. Just in case...

Music: Song of the Ancients ~ Atonement

It’s time to battle for your future! Nooooow... FIGHT!

The ultimate match finally begins. Who will leave this arena alive? Medium Biped? Or the fearsome Stubby? Place your bets now...

The biggest challenge of this arena is figuring out what the hell the controls do for any given machines. You’d think the Pod Fire button would shoot your gun arm. But nope! That makes our boy fire a bunch of energy orbs into the air that I have literally never been hit with or seen anything get hit with in the 140+ hours I have been playing this game now...

Turns out the light attack is the normal targeted gun cannon shot... Given his gun is his default attack, I suppose that makes sense. It’s worth noting that Hacking is disabled for this arena. That wouldn’t be remotely fair. The game will just angrily announce that function is disabled with a warning on the HUD.

Once the Stubby is destroyed, we move onto the next wave. This arena also features three waves of foes per match. Next up is...

...My god. His defense is immaculate. Gunner Medium-Biped has never faced a more dangerous foe. Granted, it presumably never went up against anyone from YoRHa so maybe the bar is a tad lower than most...

Luckily, our Pod Fire equivalent function is a giant gently caress-off concentrated laser cannon. Turns out that outclasses a welding mask. Who knew?

The terrible battle of machine against machine was waged long into the night. Or... after like five more Stubbies got blasted into bits. That gun arm is pretty OK considering those guys were a joke during normal gameplay.

...Then again, we did have 23 Levels over the competition. That could have shifted things in our machine’s favor too. But details.

Music: Colosseum

This arena difficult, so I give you reward sooner. Aren’t I nice?

Our reward for completing the first tier of Underground Colosseum matches is a brand new costume for 9S. Included with the DLC are new outfits for all three androids. 9S gets his right out of the gate.

It’s Brother Nier’s costume from the first half of NieR: Gestalt. Brother Nier looked like a total dweeb in that and now 9S can follow suit. Alas, 9S can never wear pants. Such is his fate.

That concludes our initial tour of the Underground Colosseum. Tune in next time as we venture to the coast to check out the third and final DLC arena and maybe pick up some more cosmetics for our other androids along the way.

Video: Episode 139 Highlight Reel

9S Young Brother Nier Costume Render – Did you cut off your pants legs to make double sleeves...? Or is that... TRIPLE sleeves? Wha?

Young Brother Nier Official Art – Just for comparison’s sake. He had WAY stupider looking hair in-game. Like an even more moronic Cloud Strife anime look.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 27, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
oh god costumes
the one thing that can get me to buy DLC stuff is gonna make me buy this

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Oh wow, good on them to finally use the remote control for something interesting! Also jeez, Brother Nier's clothes look ridiculous, therefore perfect for 9S :v:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The true curse of YoRHa is to forever have chilly thighs. Pants are forbidden.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:saddowns:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The androids simply recovered from human databases that shorts are comfortable and easy to wear.

Iolite
May 9, 2009

quote:

The last order of business, at least with the humanoid biped machines, is to select their weapon of choice. I don’t think this one is dictated by which ones we’ve hijacked in-game.

It might be. I had a lot less weapon options to choose from when I did this arena, but I didn't use the hijacking spear much.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
What's most funny to me about all the dunking on 9S is that I live in an area where it's extremely hot most of the year, so I'm the shorts boy. People can make fun, but when it's 112 out, you learn to appreciate shorts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not the shorts we're dunking on him for.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its not the shorts we're dunking on him for.

Naw, the shorts are part of it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Shorts, in general, own. 9S's shorts, however, do not.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

EclecticTastes posted:

What's most funny to me about all the dunking on 9S is that I live in an area where it's extremely hot most of the year, so I'm the shorts boy. People can make fun, but when it's 112 out, you learn to appreciate shorts.

So you're saying we need to start dunking on you, Shorts Boy? ;)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

...! posted:

So you're saying we need to start dunking on you, Shorts Boy? ;)

Been there, done that, it's surprisingly hard to feel owned while watching the other person slowly sweating to death in their heavy jeans.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

They are easy to wear and comfy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mad Surge posted:

Oh wow, good on them to finally use the remote control for something interesting! Also jeez, Brother Nier's clothes look ridiculous, therefore perfect for 9S :v:

And yet, even 9S looks cool compared to Brother Nier.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I mean, you say that, but I live in Arizona (the hot parts) and wear jeans year round. I'm also insane and hate my legs, though, so....

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think Brother Nier's design would actually be pretty good if he would just put on some drat pants.

Well, the outfit, at least. The hair is unsalvageable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Out in the desert you either need a pair of pants to switch to as soon as the sun goes down, or a strong cold resistance. I went for the latter back when I lived there, my legs stayed warm by hauling my fat rear end around.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

KamikazePotato posted:

I think Brother Nier's design would actually be pretty good if he would just put on some drat pants.

Well, the outfit, at least. The hair is unsalvageable.

This being DrakeNieR, there's a very despair-inducing story behind that hairdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Out in the desert you either need a pair of pants to switch to as soon as the sun goes down, or a strong cold resistance. I went for the latter back when I lived there, my legs stayed warm by hauling my fat rear end around.

Being originally from Boston, the cold nights were rarely a problem for me. Of course, back in college, my insistence on shorts almost all year round backfired spectacularly on an especially cold day in February during which there was a bit of sleet that turned to freezing rain, right when I needed to trek clear across campus to get to my next class. :suicide:

• Locked thread