Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I would say the story feels like something a TOTALLY wasted Yoko taro might write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Konosuba is legit funny by real comedy standards, not just anime ones.

I look forward to dane cook making a joke where he steals the underwear of a 14 year old girl in front of a crowd of people

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This is an extremely productive avenue of discussion that definitely won't get the thread locked again

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

On the topic of the Arenas, I only discovered that 9S could go though the other two by sheer stupidity, and by that, I mean only after about a week of throwing a low level A2 at her missions to unlock some of the late end rewards.

I kicked myself, then spammed 9S though it with ease.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I wish Alphinaud got dunked on as often as 9S does.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Next update will be tomorrow and then they should get regular again next week. Spent yesterday grinding to Level 99 and getting all the remaining weapons to max. Should streamline future events! I'm finishing this goddamn war LP before this month is out.

Edit: Got destroyed by snow yesterday and spent all day today having a loving Yakuza side-mission solving the riddle of a locked gate leading to a neighbor's generator.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 6, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Next update will be tomorrow and then they should get regular again next week. Spent yesterday grinding to Level 99 and getting all the remaining weapons to max. Should streamline future events! I'm finishing this goddamn war LP before this month is out.

I have to wonder if the next game requires you to do a min% run to unlock the final ending, it seems like the only unexplored completionism territory

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

The Dark Id posted:

Edit: Got destroyed by snow yesterday and spent all day today having a loving Yakuza side-mission solving the riddle of a locked gate leading to a neighbor's generator.

Didn't get the snow here, but got the wind chill instead. Went to an AHL game tonight and between the game and my car only left my eyelids exposed and learned that your eyelids could go numb.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tunicate posted:

I have to wonder if the next game requires you to do a min% run to unlock the final ending, it seems like the only unexplored completionism territory

I would be so hosed. Hell, I was in this one. There are entire 9S scenes I didn't see because I could put my fist through every boss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Dark Id posted:

You picked up a snow shovel and beat your neighbour comatose with it? :ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mage_Boy posted:

Didn't get the snow here, but got the wind chill instead. Went to an AHL game tonight and between the game and my car only left my eyelids exposed and learned that your eyelids could go numb.

Get safety glasses. You look dorky, but it helps so much.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Solitair posted:

I wish Alphinaud got dunked on as often as 9S does.

But he does in Heavensward and later? Seriously, it's like a non-stop dunkfest.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I would be so hosed. Hell, I was in this one. There are entire 9S scenes I didn't see because I could put my fist through every boss.

I've been meaning to do another run because there's a scene you can only see in the final fight (that I won't discuss further because Id will undoubtedly show it off somehow) if you're not overleveled as hell. I missed it because I had like 25 levels on the opponent.

I'm way too much of a munchkin to NOT grind my chips.

So because I missed it the first time, I've been wanting to start a New Game and try to keep my levels low, just haven't gotten around to it and got into a bunch of other games.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I had no idea Yoko Taro was married and it makes me unreasonably happy that they go together so well :3:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

The Dark Id posted:

Well I certainly hope that you recorded your footage for the other ending before leveling up that far, because doing it at 99 is something I definitely regretted.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So N.K. Jemisin, double Hugo award winning author, occasionally streams on Twitch and just started a second play through of Automata after getting the 'final' ending.

She basically opens by talking about how amazing she finds the writing and how she seeks to emulate it in her own work, now there is a quote that would likely be used for add copy if it was not buried in a Twitch VOD.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Heat moves slamming thug faces directly into the lock until it breaks

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, clearly that was why he gave that shovel to his daughter's girlfriend! Thankfully she realized he was messing with her before she whomped the neighbor too hard

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

The Dark Id posted:

Remember the pawn shaped emblems go on the gate despite the generator itself having a chessboard pattern on it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ryoga posted:

Remember the pawn shaped emblems go on the gate despite the generator itself having a chessboard pattern on it.

Make sure to check for Spanish not-zombies too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Obligatum VII posted:

But he does in Heavensward and later? Seriously, it's like a non-stop dunkfest.

That boy just isn't buoyant.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vadoc posted:

I wonder if he and Yoship are discussing how to do a crossover with FF14.

Relic questline where you help Yoko Taro write a Weapon story :unsmigghh:

EDIT:

Leraika posted:

These are fanart, but one can always dream.

They did do a head slot costume item that looks pretty much exactly like the 2B/9S eye covering, though.

Would have made the PLD weapon the Lead Pipe (not sure what to do for the shield-giant Lunar Tear maybe?)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 7, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Dark Id posted:

was the solution to punch a dude in the face really hard

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

was the solution to punch a dude in the face really hard

That's a solution to a lot of problems. It doesn't solve the problem of getting arrested for punching a dude in the face really hard, though.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

apocalypticCritic posted:

That's a solution to a lot of problems. It doesn't solve the problem of getting arrested for punching a dude in the face really hard, though.

Punch the people trying to arrest you in the face, really hard.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I just wanted to pop in. I stopped reading the thread back around the end of route A, having not played and figuring that was far enough; I'd get the game (and a platform that could handle it) eventually and it would be vastly more enjoyable to experience this ride firsthand.

Well, I did.

And it is.

Oh god, it is.

Just, thank you again, TDI and the weirdest of hype-machine lifeforms that is the LP subforum for yanking me aboard waaay back during the first NieR thread.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Did i miss an update showing 9s ending or has that not been done yet

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

By the end of the month, we've got DLC and spare sidequests first.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh man I'm so glad that I caught up with the thread right at the end.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Did i miss an update showing 9s ending or has that not been done yet

No, that's yet to be done; we've gone straight to DLC town instead

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Currently Id is grinding to 99 for special fights.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Alaan posted:

Currently Id is grinding to 99 for special fights.

That doesn't take all that long, and I'm sure Id knows where the premium grind spot is. If he's not already done it, that won't be much of a delay at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The prime grind spot was patched out a long while back but I think TDI said either in here or on twitter that he's done levelling and he'll be back to regular updates sooner rather than later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The prime grind spot was patched out a long while back but I think TDI said either in here or on twitter that he's done levelling and he'll be back to regular updates sooner rather than later.

Unless it was changed again then you can still use it. It is just now not quite as fast as it used to be.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah the grind spot still exists but it's only really viable for higher levels now, instead of being an insanely broken source of EXP you could access whenever.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I accidentally overgrinded trying to see if the infinite monster spawners were really infinite.

They are.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXL: Roll the Dye

Music: Rays of Light (Quiet)

One final DLC arena remains to check out. The universe has really not wanted me to do so this week. But hopefully the cascade of bullshit has been calmed for now.

Back to our task, at the very back end of the massive Flooded City region we find the Apologetic Machine once stationed here has been replaced by a lone Resistance member. What are you doing out here, buddy?

A membership card?
I can’t let anyone in here if they don’t have a membership card. Now begone from here!
<Negotiate.>
I told you to scram! You’re not getting in here without a membership card!
<Let money do the talking.>
You think I can just be bribed like that!? I’ve never been this insulted in my LIFE!
<Give 1000 G.>
Hmm... Well, this card appears to be in order. Please, this way.

Some things never change. Also this completes the Mysterious Letter quest which pointed us towards the three DLC arenas. Nice to finally get those off the drat map after nearly two entire playthroughs of ‘em hanging out...

DLC Music: Gambling Colosseum

Unlike the previous two DLC arenas, this one is manned and operated by the Resistance. I mean... there’s still a presumably functional launchpad with a nuclear missile sitting on it right outside. It’s probably good the Resistance actually has a nearby outpost keeping an eye on it. That said, let’s do the usual rigmarole and chat up the locals to see what the deal is here.

Hey there. Having fun?
Man, this place is AWESOME!

Ehh... it’s OK. Could use some green torches for some mood lighting, if you ask me.

This Colosseum has a near identical layout to the previous one. However, the two side halls here are locked down. We might get to see what’s behind one of ‘em later on. But that’s for another day.

As long as I get my entertainment, I can keep working every day.

That sounds like something a monkey’s paw can curl on real easy. But you do you...

Got some really good stuff on sale... if you’re interested.

Meh... You need to work on your pitch, pal...

What, ya godda problem with the way I talk? I studied a relic of ancient civilization and apparently this is how merchants communicate, alright? What’s that? You highly doubt it!? Look, I only just started out, okay? I’m still tryin’ ta get the hang of this!

Welp... I’m glad we’ve come full circle with the game pulling Notspain Merchant reference and dropping Resident Evil 4 as an ancient human document androids studied. Sadly, there’s not much good stuff on sale, stranga. This is just another Maintenance Shop that can fuse chips and upgrade Pods.

We might upgrade Pod 1 exactly once before the end of the LP. That’ll be neat, right? Ironically, I had to sell the necessary Natural Rubber to do that earlier Devola and Popola quest to see that Godzilla machine. I was really hoping this DLC area would sell components for upgrading Pods that were otherwise grinding only. But alas...

Oh man, what am I gonna do now? How am I gonna make that money back!?

If you’re thinking that for all this talk and the name of the arena, there’s suddenly going to be a gambling system implemented in this $13 DLC... you’re going to be disappointed.

Before we hit up the front desk and see what this place is actually about, we can pop back stage to the Colosseum proper and see how the crowd is doing out here. Some machines are battling each other in the pit but that’s not indicative of how this arena works.

I’ve got money ridin’ on you! Fight to win!
That’s the spirit! Hit ‘em where it hurts!
Nothing beats front row seats.
It’s a wonderful sight, seeing machine bits fly everywhere, isn’t it? Makes me feel all peaceful inside. I wonder if there’s a word for that.
Come on, you call this a fight!? I wanna see bolts flyin’ all over the place!
Should I play it safe, or bet big?

I wanna watch the higher level ones, but they’re so expensive.
You’re new here, ain’t ya? If you plan on bettin’ some money here, you’d better use your head. Some people lose everything they have. They get taken off and are never seen again.
Ugh... I’m just poo poo outta luck today.
The S Rank champion is super strong. He’s won 90 matches in a row! Whenever he has a match, tickets get sold out in no time.
GRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Phew, feels good to flex your lungs sometimes!
Dammit, I lost again! Maybe I should become a contestant...

Hey, you know what? That doesn’t sound like a half bad idea. Let’s return back to the front desk and see if we cannot get in on that action.

In that case, welcome to the ultimate in entertainment! A place where androids and machines risk their lives in combat! And yes, it’s technically against Resistance regulations, but everyone needs a way to blow of some steam, am I right? Please let me know if you’d like to participate. Care to join the fray?
<Sign up to fight.>

And that’s the fourth, but not final, bit of DLC sidequests activated. There is a fifth quest related to the DLC we’ll get to once all arenas have been completed. What? Did you think it was all challenge arenas? Pfft. There’s a half hour chunk of story content too. But that’s getting ahead of ourselves.

Oh by the way, you are not allowed to use items in the arena! Can’t have a bunch of weaklings try to bulldoze their way through without any strategy, can we?
<Ask for explanation.>
Battles here are separated into six distinct ranks. They start at E, then move up through D, C, B, A, and finally S. As a beginner, you can participate only in E-level matches. Once you win, you’ll earn the right to join the next tier. The higher you advance, the greater the prizes you can win. And that’s about all there’s to it!
<Rank E (Rec. Lv: 25)>

Don’t let the low rank fool you—if you lower your guard, you’ll be scrap. Now... let the battle begin!

Music: Dark Colossus KAIJU (Instrumental)
(The music for the entrance hall is actually just the drumline from this track.)

So the gimmick for this final arena is... there isn’t really one. 9S has to deal with five ways of Level 25 enemies. They’re at least more talkative than the usual cannon fodder.

That is to say... they’re quite upset with 9S and androids in general. Maybe it’s something to do with their lives being bet on for petty entertainment by bored soldiers. Nah...

I wish there was more to say but... I mean... they’re Level 25 machines. We were last Level 25 like around the time Adam got ganked back in Route A. That hasn’t been competitive in ages so this is quite the curbstomp.

Music: Gambling Colosseum

It’s nice to change your hair color every once in a while, you know? We have to look for little things like that to distract us from our everyday lives. Otherwise, we’ll all go insane, what with the constant fighting going on. ...I’m sorry. I was just rambling a bit. Come visit again, okay?

Our reward for completing the Rank-E battle is a host of hair dyes for 2B and A2. We’ll check that out in just a second. There’s one more scene before we go...

I AM SORRY. I AM SORRY.
Bah! You’re useless. I oughta trade you in and be done with it...
I AM SORRY. I AM SORRY.
This hunk of junk REALLY doesn’t want to fight anymore for some reason...

Well, I’m sure that’s nothing to worry about and won’t eventually lead down a path of revealing the systematic cruelty the Resistance displays against captured machines just to make sure that all sides in the conflict are thoroughly full of lovely folks. But enough about that! Let’s check out these hair dyes. Sadly, 9S is left out of hair dyes or any further cosmetics in general. You’re lucky you got that one crummy bonus outfit, kid.

The Hair Dyes are cosmetic items that can be used at any time (while playing as 2B or A2) to swap their hair colors. We’ve got black and brown for these lazy cosplayers out there that couldn’t be bothered to buy a wig or dye their own hair.

There is Red Dye for those types that make every create-a-character in RPGS a short red haired girl. I know your degenerate ways...

We’ve got Blue Dye for those that like their anime girls to be meek, have zero personality and turn into several hundred mile tall apocalypse creatures that fall apart into gory chunks.

There’s Green Dye if you want 2B or A2 to just look like an idiot. Green hair is for jerks. :colbert:

And finally there is Purple Dye if you want a familiar version of a tough anime soldier lady that refuses to ever wear pants. The White Dye also exists to return 2B or A2’s hair to factory standard. Like most all cosmetic items, these are just for funsies. There’s no actual benefit to using ‘em. And every cutscene that doesn’t feature text boxes is pre-rendered so have fun seeing these alterations vanish anytime there’s action going down.

In any case, that concludes our initial tour of the three DLC arenas. Tune in next time as we undergo a training montage to beef up our androids to Level 99 via violence against a mascot character, I lose two hours of my life time traveling to various periods to fill up on supplies for upgrading all weapons to max and other final post-game preparations are made as NieR: Automata continues.

Video: Episode 140 Highlight Reel

Flooded City Launch Pad Concept Art – There’s still just a spare nuclear warhead sitting out there...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 8, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So to escape the tedium of endless machine fighting, the resistance members... have an underground arena where they bet on even more machine fighting?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

StandardVC10 posted:

So to escape the tedium of endless machine fighting, the resistance members... have an underground arena where they bet on even more machine fighting?

Well to be fair it lets them watch machines tear each other apart. So it also doubles as catharsis by proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That last bit has gotten me thinking about how the Major would deal with being thrown in a Yoko Taro game. Can't say I imagine it would end well, although I suppose that's sort of a given.

• Locked thread