Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I did this whole arena while still level ~60.

That S rank match is a VERY different beast when it has 20-ish levels on you instead of the other way around.

The final axe guy just straight up one-shots you for one, even with near-max Physical Def up chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solitair posted:

Hideaki Anno Can (Not) Make a Movie

To be fair, he was busy making Shin Godzilla after Rebuild 3.0.

Which means he's totally gonna make The fourth Rebuild film next, you guys :ohdear:.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

MadBimber posted:

realtalk the original DBZ series is not so good but im sure it outshines anything new. god of destruction? pffff.

Dragon Ball Super owns, actually.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Dark Id posted:

There is a Light Blue Dye because you’re still deluded that last Rebuild of Evangelion movie is ever going to get made and you couldn’t quite remember what shade blue you wanted for needed for your cosplay of a really boring character from the series.

I still believe, dammit! :mad:

I gotta say, for something that was probably thrown together in a week I'm kind of blown away by all the little background details they managed to work in, like that high roller "mysteriously" disappearing between fights.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

(Actually, thinking of it, Anemone is probably the most morally upright character in a position of authority in... maybe any Taro game? She cares for the androids under her command, is willing to make peace with anyone else willing to talk, and is grateful for any assistance received. )

So, a lot like Pascal?

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Qrr posted:

So, a lot like Pascal?

Wait.
poo poo.
I'm along for the ride, watching the LP because Dark ID is wonderful.

But poo poo. What if machines are the shades to the Android's gestalts?
They're just redoing it, but hyperviolent because that makes clean up easier .

This is totally a guess, and I can't remember if that's horribly frowned upon?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Qrr posted:

So, a lot like Pascal?

Point.

Of course, there's a difference in that Pascal is initially presented as a possible enemy, while Anemone is (sort of) 2B's superior officer, and in that Pascal's a conscientious objector while Anemone is still part of the endless chain of bullshit that's defined history for thousands of years now, but it's still a solid point.

And, while I'm thinking about it, the King of Facade wasn't a bad ruler himself. Of course, everything fell apart after, but the nature of reality is entropy, and that goes double when you're in a Yoko Taro game.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 10, 2018

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Weeble posted:

The final axe guy just straight up one-shots you for one, even with near-max Physical Def up chips.

Same, I was gunning for the alternate costumes early and took on the S-rank here at around level 60 too. Axe-and-cape dude's tornado move was a one-hit kill, so I countered it using the Overclock chip.

If you weren't into that remix of Vague Hope already, try it with the audio distortion that Overclock does when it kicks in. :catdrugs:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 10, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Anemone's not presented as 2B's superior, because she's not. YoRHa and the Resistance are two completely different things.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

...! posted:

Anemone's not presented as 2B's superior, because she's not. YoRHa and the Resistance are two completely different things.

Yo, but, you head down to report to her and help her. Yes they're separate, but this is a resistance camp, so defer to her.
It's literally different branches of government. CIA and FBI don't have jurisdiction over each other, but when one comes into a case that the other is on, they either take the whole thing or subordinate themselves.

The resistance is a regional power. Yorha is special forces. 2b doesn't *have* to listen to her, but she's intended to

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If you stop attacking the machines in the arena who are asking to not fight, do they stop attacking or is it just them saying stuff and they will happily beat you down?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If you stop attacking the machines in the arena who are asking to not fight, do they stop attacking or is it just them saying stuff and they will happily beat you down?

They'll tear you to shreds.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Nothing the machines say has any meaning.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Req.Martyr posted:

This is totally a guess, and I can't remember if that's horribly frowned upon?

The only illegal moves are to put actual spoilers instead of in the Games thread or spoiler tagging anything anywhere in your post.

The Dark Id posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: NO SPOILERS! NOT IN TAGS! NOT ANYWHERE! THIS INCLUDES SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS AND VIDEOS AND WHATNOT! :siren: :frogsiren:

Speculate all you want but don't be a wink-nudge dick that knows what is going down. Nobody likes that kind of jerk and I'll call you out on that.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

The only illegal moves are to put actual spoilers instead of in the Games thread or spoiler tagging anything anywhere in your post.

Phew... Thank yoko I'm not a crime boy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Req.Martyr posted:

Yo, but, you head down to report to her and help her. Yes they're separate, but this is a resistance camp, so defer to her.
It's literally different branches of government. CIA and FBI don't have jurisdiction over each other, but when one comes into a case that the other is on, they either take the whole thing or subordinate themselves.

The resistance is a regional power. Yorha is special forces. 2b doesn't *have* to listen to her, but she's intended to

I never got that feeling. To me it always seemed like YoRHa was helping the Resistance out of a sense of android solidarity, not any kind of obligation. 2B's (and definitely A2's) interactions with Anemone felt to me like equals doing each other favors, not one being subordinate to the other.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Dark Id posted:

Episode CXLVI: Elation
Tune in next time as we reap the benefits of completing the S Rank Match, uncover the sealed back room of the colosseum, witness the game just straight up cheat for a bonus match and perhaps see there’s more to this DLC than just a bunch of combat arenas... Stay tuned.

Just went back in for another few runs at it, it's just as horrifically BS as I remembered.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXLVII: Revealing

What’s this?
This is a piece of “revealing women’s clothing” that humans used to wear. With clothing like this, you have to wonder why they even bothered wearing anything in the first place, eh? That’s humans for ya. Anyway, take it. It’s yours.

Our third and final alternate costume goes to 2B and it is, of course, Kainé’s outfit from the original NieR.

I feel like Yoko Taro saw a certain grumbling on the internet from prudes grumbling about seeing 2B’s butt and went “look at this bitch made fuckboi that didn’t play my previous game” resulting in this costume assignment. But that’s not all for rewards. The receptionist has a special bonus for us...

Talk about exciting, by the way! I haven’t seen a battle like that in forever. Hey, you want to see something interesting? Have a look back there. You’ll love it!

The previously barred back room of the Gambler’s Colosseum is now open to our androids. This part seems to have a bit of a different layout than the similar Underground Colosseum of the Forest Zone Battle Bots. Let’s have a closer look.

Music: Broken Heart (Vocal)

Now then... Which one should I choose next?
EEP...!
Ha ha! Stupid machines. Look at ‘em quaking in their boots or... whatever they have. I love it!
These little bastards killed eight of my subordinates! Every Resistance member here lost someone important because of the machines. Some saw their loved ones cut to pieces, others had their friends eaten right in front of their eyes. Do you blame us for getting together in a place like this? I’m thinking of taking a few of these guys and dunking ‘em in water. Might be fun to watch the sparks fly. A little light-show might be just what the mechanic ordered... Well? You up for it?
Pass.
Aw, come on! Don’t be such an old lump of iron! You didn’t forget your bloodlust when you were trashing these guys earlier, right? Well, this is the same deal. Only difference is whether you kill ‘em here or kill ‘em on your missions, you know?
Eh, whatever. This is wasted on you. <walks away>

And with the pleasant revelation of the back room torture prison, that concludes the Gambler’s Colosseum sidequest. Pod 042 has some closing remarks for us.

Hypothesis: They have begun to inherit the cruelty inherent in humanity.
...Huh.

There’s another special bit of equipment to be found in this torture dungeon: Emil Bullets.

This is a cosmetic piece of equipment that transforms all energy orbs into Emil heads. That’s it. Sure, why not? Beyond that, there is one more conversation to be had in the Machine Waterboarding quarters or whatever is going on in here.

I’m just a feeble machine, and there’s no way out of this hell for me. So would you mind killing me, please? My family is gone, and I have nothing left of value. I’m tired of having to live through the same nightmare every day.
I know this might not sit very well with you... But... could you kill me... Please?

You’re the boss, sparky. Some rando machine lifeform begging for a mercy kill barely registers at this point on the morality decision scale.

Now that we’ve tackled the S Rank match and defeated the colosseum champion, all the NPCs’ dialogue have updated with new chatter. So let’s take a victory lap to see what everyone has to say.

It’s been a while since someone cleared the highest rank. You’re gonna be a great hunter, I can tell!

I bought the new Monster Hunter World like a week ago and I’ve gotten like three free hours to actually play it. :smith:

Ever since I found out about this place, I’ve been much more eager to go out and fight. It’s awesome!

Someone else is going to have to dredge up your corpse and deal with the tragic circumstances to your demise later. We’ve got two sidequests left and damned if we’re getting any more before the end.

Some people make fun of this place, but they’re just simple-minded idiots who don’t know what fun is. I feel sorry for ‘em. Don’t you?
Thanks to you defeating the S Rank champ, he’ll be spending his days in jail for a while. Thanks!
Hm? You’re wondering why this place hasn’t been locked down? The higher-ups ain’t stupid. They know what we’re doing, but they’re turnin’ a blind eye. They know that if they don’t give us a chance to let off steam, we’ll end up takin’ out our frustrations elsewhere. Besides, some of the money we make here goes directly towards the top. That’s society for ya. You’d better not poke your nose where it don’t belong either, ya hear?

You don’t need to provide more evidence the nebulous android “Command” are kind of huge rear end in a top hat. YoRHa is well appraised of that fact. Well, at least Future 9S is... Right, Nines?

As early mentioned, that one gambler betting big has now vanished following 2B’s victory in the S Rank match. Shouldn’t have bet against the best. Have fun getting your legs broken by YoRHa loan sharks or however that works. But for now, let’s head back to the stands.

You think you could maybe try again and send some bullets my way? Please?
Fantastic! Thanks to you, the former champion has been taken down a notch. He won’t be acting so tough anymore now, I bet.
WOOOOOOW! You actually beat the champ!? Un-friggin-believable!
Wow, I never thought you’d beat the champ! I should’ve put my money on you... Next time I’m definitely betting on you, so lemme know when your next match is, ‘kay?
Bwahaha! The elation, oh the elation! I’m so elated right now!

Well at least someone is having fun elation here.

Androids must be starving for entertainment more than I thought.
So you beat the champion, huh? I thought fortune was on his side for sure... Well, looks like you were lucky, and he wasn’t. End of story.
Looks like you took down the champ, huh? I was sure he was gonna get 100 victories and escape this place, but there you go... Just goes to show that no one can escape their destiny, be they android or machine.

I don’t think you’ll disagree that us androids have plenty of reasons to kick the crap outta the machines after all they’ve done to us, right? That said, most people here don’t even care about revenge. They’re just here to kill. I’m getting the impression they’d slaughter anything put in front of ‘em, be it machine or something else. On the other hand, there’s lot of people here who gain the energy to keep on livin’ every day as well. I dunno whether we’re all doin’ the right thing, or if we’re all just completely deranged...

Perhaps the answer is somewhere in the middle. Or both sides are assholes? I’m just saying I haven’t seen a machine lifeform torture dungeon for androids. At most they’ve made belts out of their flayed corpses and the last time that happened was ages ago.

I warned you about the yelling, bro. I told you, dawg...

I new NPC has appeared in the top right corner of the stands – the Resistance Secretary. She gives us the option to fight an unknown opponent.

Unfortunately, we do not have an appointment to participate in such a battle. Perhaps we’ll come back here when the rest of the DLC is completed. Oh yes, there’s more to go. For instance, we have the obligatory incredible bullshit special rank match of the arena. And this one blows the other two right out of the water.

This is meant to test your actual skills, so your auto-chips will be disabled. This is your chance to show the world what you’re truly made of! Care to join the fray?

The Special Rank Match has a Level 99 recommendation. Yeah... That’s one way to put it. Let’s take a quick look...

Alright, then I think you’re ready to face the next challenge! This is the ultimate, completely insane battle! Can you overcome the odds!? Ready? Fight!

Music: Grandma (Destruction)

So you know how Level 99 is the level cap? Yeah... gently caress that noise, says this Special Rank match. We’re gonna throw hundreds of enemies at you that break the level cap. By a minimum of 31 Levels! Meaning you could do this match on Easy at Level 99 with every health and damage resistant Plug-in chip on the planet equipped and absolutely everything will still one-shot our androids while they barely do any damage. There’s a reason there’s an hour long time limit as opposed to the 20 minute ones the previous two special fights had.

I’m sure some insane person has beaten this Special Match legitimately. I am not that person. As this is not just a four round wave of extremely hard enemies. Oh no. It’s twenty wave trial against nothing but Level 130+ Enhanced Model versions of enemies with zero breaks or checkpoints.

With a special boss fight every fifth wave against “Unknown” bosses. Well what does that mean, you ask?

Why Shade/Gestalt versions of previous bosses, of course? Yeah, they snuck some Shades in the basically impossible special rank match. There’s nothing special about them other than being ridiculously strong and having the same coloring as Shades from the original NieR. The fifth round drops off a Shade Tank.

The tenth round offers up a Shade Simone who can summon Enhanced Goliath Bipeds to help out during battle.

Round fifteen has a Shade ...SomethingorOther-Shi. I could barely keep those things straight when they weren’t black and gold spectral versions.

The final twentieth round of this special arena where literally everything will one shot you has a special match against a Shade version of both Adam and Eve at the same time. Now see, that seems like it’d be a cool match. We never got to do something like that in the base game. Too bad it’s hidden behind a wall of impossible madness.

Music: Gambling Colosseum

A couple rewards are given if you use Debug mode to actually complete this thing because bull-loving-poo poo you did it legit. The first reward is the same hair dye colors we’ve already received, just with the saturation turned up to maximum. OK... Anything better...? That’s not really doing it.

Oh! Of course! Special fruit that will de-level your characters by 10 Levels. I... Excuse me...!? Why would you...? But that... I...

You know what? I’m loving out! I’m done with this DLC. The entire Flooded City can sink to the ocean floor for all I care.

Music: ENDS

To consider someone a friend... Is to consider someone else your enemy.

Perhaps this is what is meant by the emotion called “discrimination.”

An emotion that seems to consume me as I speak...

Music: Rays of Light

Wait, what? No. We’re done with the DLC. We did the three combat arenas. Now we can go do the last couple of sidequests and then finally finish the LP. What are you even doing to me now, Pod?

Tch. FINE! There’s an Access Point just on the other side of the Flooded City. Maybe it’s just another dumb Council of Humanity notification. We are back in Route A right now.

...Goddammit.

They seem to indicate a location underneath the amusement park ruins. Marking it on the map.
The amusement park... ruins?

So begins the actual final part of the DLC – the Mysterious Invitation.

Fine... We’ll go see what this all is about. After we change 2B back to something more respectable. Kainé you were a great character and all... but you dressed like a goddamn embarrassing idiot.

Music: Amusement Park (Vocal)

One final trek to the Amusement Park zone. Now hearing it is beneath the Amusement Park, if you thought they meant that elevator down to the former Umbrella Labs and the Game Programmer’s lair over in the castle basement. But you’d be mistaken.

Actually, a new path has opened up just off the main street with an unearthed elevator being attended by a lone machine lifeform.

The game requests we save before entering. Due to reasons... That’s not... ominous or anything. You guys like actually tested this DLC before shipping it right? I have my doubts after seeing that last Special Rank match...

I’d really liked to have made a save on a different slot. But whatever... Let’s do this thing.

This isn’t ominous at all... No sir... Just a giant eerily lit scrap pile. We’ve seen plenty of those.

...And another creepy array of static filled CRT TVs and antennas piled into a tower. Well, tune in next time fo—

Video: Episode 147 Highlight Reel

2B Kainé Costume Render – I like to think she’s rolling her eyes extremely hard beneath that mask.

Kainé Artwork – My back hurts just looking at this pose.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 28, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've never actually played the DLC so I'm real excited to see what's next :yokotaro:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Beary suspicious.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Dark Id posted:

Episode CXLVII: Revealing
I’m sure some insane person has beaten this Special Match legitimately. I am not that person. As this not just a four round wave of extremely hard enemies. Oh no. It’s twenty wave trial against nothing but Level 130+ Enhanced Model versions of enemies with zero breaks or checkpoints.

Can't be sure about legitimacy, but they did appear to do it in ~5 minutes on Very Hard. Always in B-Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpvvUiiCDI

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dark Id posted:

[b]To consider someone a friend... Is to consider someone else your enemy.

Perhaps this is what is meant by the emotion called “discrimination.”

An emotion that seems to consume me as I speak...

Looks like the coding's messed up here.

Ukokira
Apr 29, 2017
It’s worth mentioning that the shade tank has hacking minigames completley exclusive to it.

Well the other shade bosses probably have them as well, I wouldn’t know since the only remotely sane way of doing the special arena is with A2, either way they’re exclusive to that special arena

You might think 9S is good in the level 130 arena but hacking does poo poo for all damage there. He’s pretty much the worst character to attempt it with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The World Ends With 2B

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
OKay, that elated guy... Not even the apocalypse can’t keep Billy loving Coen down.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Were any of you really, really expecting 2B's DLC outfit to be anything else? Yoko Taro is shameless.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm terrified to ask what happens when you explode Kaine's outfit (please do not answer, I do not actually want to know).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It gets less revealing due to soot stains

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, those apples? They're for leveling down if you want to do a "fresh" playthrough without having to start a new game, of course.

Why would you do that, especially since it doesn't reset any of the side quests?

Obviously so you could wear the costumes the whole time, duh. :shepface:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I could almost see that being useful in conjunction with the Facade challenge reward that lets you turn off experience. Basically if you want to jump through an awful lot of hoops to do a fixed level 1 story run. Given the game's level mechanics I can't particularly see the appeal of doing so, but there's probably someone out there who'd want to do it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, I never thought to bust out debug mode on those bullshit bonus battles.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For us who found it a pain we couldnt explore and have the game feel like a bit of a challange since we over leveled, the apples and no exp thing would be a god send. Of course they would be a god send way too late.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Iretep posted:

a god send way too late.

One of taro yoko’s most consistent themes

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is an interesting development. Did the Machine Over-AI get curious about arenas and make its own?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mazed posted:

So, those apples? They're for leveling down if you want to do a "fresh" playthrough without having to start a new game, of course.

Why would you do that, especially since it doesn't reset any of the side quests?

Obviously so you could wear the costumes the whole time, duh. :shepface:

Considering that the balance in Hard Mode (and normal mode too, really) is completely hosed, doing a "New Game+" run starting at level 1 but keeping all your chips does have some sort of appeal to me.

I'm surprised nobody (at least on youtube that I can see) has tried a level 1 challenge for this game.
But, considering the barrier for entry, I suppose it actually isn't all that surprising

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 11, 2018

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The level scaling would leave that as a seriously not fun proposition. It’s not just gimmicks and strategies like an RPG, it’s slavishly perfect execution every fight when you die in one hit to a stubby.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

true, but there are a lot of insane things in video games that people do anyway

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Also, "slavishly perfect execution where you die in ome hit to a stubby" describes the final arena challenge pretty well.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they chu. Happy 20th birthday, Xenogears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

God, this was a real, actual thing that happened in that game, wasn’t it.

• Locked thread