Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Seshoho Cian posted:

Remember how the Nier 1 DLC was advertised as "Find out what happened to Nier's Wife" and all it was just a bunch of combat arenas with cryptic poetry in between the rooms? Well, compare it to this DLC, which was just advertised as 3 Combat Arenas with a couple of bonus costumes for your trouble but actually contains this rather sizeable chunk of story content.

Yeah I bought and finished the game a while before the DLC came out, saw it had released and was apparently "combat arenas and a kaine outfit" and was pretty :nallears: about the $15 or whatever it was, especially since I was pretty done with the game to begin with

So this'll be an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do you have to be level 99 to see all this stuff? I would have given up quickly if that was the case

No. I only got up to the sixties for this, if memory serves. 99 lets you steamroll the arenas, but it's possible to clear them at a lower level, and once you do, this opens, no need for level 99 or the bonus challenges.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

DanielCross posted:

ThedarkestIdGeop timeline.

Fixed that for ya

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Mazed posted:

The timeline stuff throws me. This is forever ago and the machines are shown to have a culture that's progressed far enough to have soul-crushing office hellscapes (never mind the renaissance faire in the woods) yet when our android heroes show up, the boys they meet can barely stutter out words. It's a conflicting thing between this existing machine society, and the one that seemed to evolve on an accelerated rate as 2B and 9S were stomping around.

Regardless, this is a really neat little sequence. And the sound design in the operating room is fantastic.

Yeah, the girls in the red dresses made the machine network seem more like a standard robot overlord faction but this makes them look like the friggin pentagon wars.

Then again, the machines were deliberately setting up for failure, so maybe they wanted to replicate Human R&D and general staff?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mazed posted:

The timeline stuff throws me. This is forever ago and the machines are shown to have a culture that's progressed far enough to have soul-crushing office hellscapes (never mind the renaissance faire in the woods) yet when our android heroes show up, the boys they meet can barely stutter out words. It's a conflicting thing between this existing machine society, and the one that seemed to evolve on an accelerated rate as 2B and 9S were stomping around.

Regardless, this is a really neat little sequence. And the sound design in the operating room is fantastic.

I didn't see that as the machine society rapidly evolving, it was already there and the androids were just discovering it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Begemot posted:

I didn't see that as the machine society rapidly evolving, it was already there and the androids were just discovering it.

The Androids obviously already knew it, considering what Black Boxes are made of. The information was just kept under wraps for "reasons" and at the start of the game 2B and 9S start discovering it along with whatever part of YorHA didn't get briefed.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah I bought and finished the game a while before the DLC came out, saw it had released and was apparently "combat arenas and a kaine outfit" and was pretty :nallears: about the $15 or whatever it was, especially since I was pretty done with the game to begin with

So this'll be an experience.

Same. Hiding story content in and behind a bunch of challenge arenas, without even mentioning it anywhere in the marketing material, is not something I've seen too often for DLCs.

I'm 50/50 on Square-Enix incompetence or deliberate action at the behest of their resident Sith Lord.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The big machine intelligence did seem to be adding in variation, so might be we just ran into the nontalkative or poorly talkative machines first. Pascal and such were certainly around for a while and the main machine AI is clearly quite conversational and it's been around the longest.

The Dark Id posted:

just imaging some rando Stubby hoping out with a chip on its shoulder

Cheeky Stubby aside, let’s on in for...

Guess that's "let's go on in"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

warhammer651 posted:

Yeah, the girls in the red dresses made the machine network seem more like a standard robot overlord faction but this makes them look like the friggin pentagon wars.

Then again, the machines were deliberately setting up for failure, so maybe they wanted to replicate Human R&D and general staff?

The way I read it is that the records that the machines are using to emulate human society (as well as their understanding of human emotion and interaction and desires) are functionally incomplete. They know that people go to to work in offices and try to emulate it, but they don't really know to what end. They know that people are capable of loving each other but when they try to emulate it [THIS CAN NOT CONTINUE]. They bill other machines for power usage but they don't really get or understand money or being paid for labor or anything like that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

They’re not that great at puns...yet :tinfoil:

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
So, Nier was nominated for and won RPG of the Year at the DICE award show. No one was there to accept the award.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/966901037368930304

Outside of it seeming like the exact kind of headline that Yoko Taro would be a part of, just...how?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

KamikazePotato posted:

So, Nier was nominated for and won RPG of the Year at the DICE award show. No one was there to accept the award.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/966901037368930304

Outside of it seeming like the exact kind of headline that Yoko Taro would be a part of, just...how?

Did you see his response?

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/966904282699059200

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
He's right. It's so on brand it hurts.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That is extremely Yoko Taro, so by and large I'd say that's good.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I hope Yoko Taro was sitting in a bar somewhere in Japan watching that award show, and laughing his rear end off at the whole thing.

The only way this could have been better is if the award show host had whipped out a sock puppet and made up an impromptu acceptance speech right there on the spot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I hope Yoko Taro was sitting in a bar somewhere in Japan watching that award show, and laughing his rear end off at the whole thing.

The only way this could have been better is if the award show host had whipped out a sock puppet and made up an impromptu acceptance speech right there on the spot.

And then the killings began...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

we don't deserve this small drunk man

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CXLIX: Combat Data

June 3rd. HEY! Those Engels’ development ought to be done by now. Morale should be up, right? Let’s dive back in!

Hey. Plato 1728 might still be mad jacked. Warning.

Remember how in the base game where 9S was repairing himself or dealing with others in Hacking Space and the landscape being a weird blocky mess was shorthand for poo poo being hosed? So this is the first node for Plato...

I tend to do poorly at everything.

I can’t keep up with the rest.

And yet I have to fight.

Because I’m a weapon made for combat.

And we’re back in it. Plato is now tasked with taking on a Level 25 Stubby. Plato himself is Level 28. Since this DLC stuff is completely separate from the main game and thus our current level is not reflected. So this match should go in Plato’s favor.

Good work, Plato! You defeated the terrible reign of the regional champ tiny tot. You’re being too hard on yourself.

We’re now jumping up to a Level 27 Small Biped. That could be a slightly trickier task. Remember our axe wielding friend that carried us through most all of the Underground Colosseum. Small fellas can be dangerous.

But I’m sure Plato has got this. He’s still an entire weight class above the chal—

...Oh. Err. So the Medium Biped scored a direct hit to Plato's nuts, taking him out completely. Nevermind.

Don’t get discouraged, big guy. Small guy are a wily lot. Now we’ve got an even match up against another Medium Biped. Sure, it’s got an entire level on you. But you should know that only starts mattering 5+ Levels either direction. Go get ‘em, tiger.

Hell yeah! Give ‘em that haymaker. Don’t stop now. Press the advantage! gently caress him up, Socrates!

Ergh!?

...Me arm’s come off.

OK. As it turns out, Medium Bipeds only know how to throw right hooks. So that was problematic. What with the arm that came off and all.

Surely there is time to get some duct tape and sort that out. Or barring that, just find a spare gun arm. There must be a machine lifeform over in Accounting that isn’t using theirs today.

...Or his arm can remain off and he can get thrown in the deep end against a Goliath Biped. That seems fair and good training. Why don’t you just have the next match in the depths of the ocean or dropped from a rocket and reentering earth’s atmosphere while fighting a Goliath Flyer.

That went about as well as expected...

OK. Over seven hours of downtime. Plato’s arm must have been reattached and now it’s a comeback tour for the machine.

G-Guys... his arm... You forgot to reattach his arm... As well as give him a proper opponent. Which is fair. An extremely slow stomping attack isn’t really gonna get the job done. So if he can just skip this ro—

...Oh. We’re just going to flood the room with suicide bomber units, huh? It’s almost as though you don’t even want poor Plato to succeed.

Plato 1728. Results are exceedingly poor. Immediate recovery is required.

Report: New records have appeared.
Let’s see what they say.

Tune in next time for the conclusion of Plato 1728’s story. Sort of... Look, it's complicated.

Video: Episode 149 Highlight Reel

Plato 1728 Art – Sometimes you just need to take a breather after getting your rear end handed to you for a third of the day...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 24, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That was pretty hilarious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Plato and the allegory of the robot getting its rear end kicked in a cave.

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, Plato being thrown in combat with his arm still detached is pathetically hilarious. This poor boy can't take a break can he?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ok, the Machine Network is an absolute dick. They absolutely got human pettiness perfectly. What did poor Plato do, piss into the girls in red's cheerios?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That's a lot of promo art for Plato. Wonder if he had more to do in early development

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Omobono posted:

Ok, the Machine Network is an absolute dick. They absolutely got human pettiness perfectly. What did poor Plato do, piss into the girls in red's cheerios?

He's part of the proletariat. Gotta faithfully recreate the human worker's experience, or at least get the spirit of it right.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Anyone else not seeing the images in the latest update?

edit: There they are. That was weird.

Arkannoyed fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 25, 2018

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Arkannoyed posted:

Anyone else not seeing the images in the latest update?

Yeah, they were there earlier

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I wonder if this is some sort of Omelas scenario where every other robot gets to be immensely cheered by the fact that they're better than Plato.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks for reminding me that Le Guin died. :argh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

placid saviour posted:

Thanks for reminding me that Le Guin died. :argh:

To be fair, everybody dies sometimes, or if not, it comes close enough that the exceptions look more like a rounding error.

88's not a bad age, and leaving that much work behind is far from the worst legacy.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Leraika posted:

I wonder if this is some sort of Omelas scenario where every other robot gets to be immensely cheered by the fact that they're better than Plato.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why do machines even need to train? Aren't they programmed to know everything they need?

But I suppose if they're taking after humans, humans train all the time.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Glazius posted:

Why do machines even need to train? Aren't they programmed to know everything they need?

Its also an AI that wants to constantly evolve so it might be just trying new ideas over and over and seeing if something improves. Thats how some AI work in theory to my understanding. They experiment constantly trying to improve results and abandon those that didn't.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Glazius posted:

Programming in everything is inefficient and inflexible so they employ super-advanced machine learning algorithms, I guess? It's well-established by this point that the machine lifeforms learn rapidly from combat.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's also been established that a good number of machines are kind of a bunch of idiots.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It's entirely possible this lot of machines are mimicking modern military stuff in the same way the Forest Kingdom mimics feudal society or the amusement park mimics, er, amusement parks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They need more combat data

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Do the Japanese just have a fascination with combat data? Or is there western stuff that has the trope?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

HR12345 posted:

Do the Japanese just have a fascination with combat data? Or is there western stuff that has the trope?

By my experience, at least, it's less common but still present. The weird perception arises since it comes up under varying terminology in the West (field testing, etc.) whereas translations from Japanese tend to use the same, highly sterile English words over and over, so it sticks in your mind more.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I'm just gonna go with the theory that the Network is a dick. Kinda makes you wonder how Eve was such a good kid, until the whole "revenge murder the world" bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Eve was made a good kid because that way it's more fun to gently caress him up.

• Locked thread