Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Wait, did someone specifically set music for the whole process by leaving a radio turned on in the that bit of factory, to see how long would it take for stubby responsible to develop emotions?

And then put stubby through that again and again, patching emotions off each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NHO posted:

Wait, did someone specifically set music for the whole process by leaving a radio turned on in the that bit of factory, to see how long would it take for stubby responsible to develop emotions?

And then put stubby through that again and again, patching emotions off each time?

I know there's some machine UI looking pop-up about it but I think it's non-diegetic music man

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The YoRHa chip to show sounds shows the soundtrack too, so maybe there really is just music piping in from everywhere :tinfoil:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Darth TNT posted:

I just assumed that he suddenly got the logic virus powerup.

Plato himself isn't referenced anywhere in the Yorha files is he?

He has a weapon story.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Yoko Taro once said in an interview that the reason his games have multiple endings is to save development time by reusing resources.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before he managed to re-use the advertising as well.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Drakengard's multiple endings seems to be a counter point in reusing assets. Like every new ending in that game was accompanied by expensive fmvs and a whole new type of hell unique to the next.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I saw this video in a YouTube playthrough accompanied by just the tail end of the DLC (the machine walking up to the computer). So I just kind of assumed that the DLC preceding it was a lot higher quality production and that the video was specifically made for it and not available elsewhere. I thought it was one of the coolest things in the game.
So even after seeing the DLC in its rather underwhelming entirety here, I still had this idea that you could only see the video by playing the DLC and jumping through a lot of hoops doing all the arena battles and all the sections playing as a machine. Which would have been pretty cool if very financially impractical.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Darth TNT posted:

I just assumed that he suddenly got the logic virus powerup.

Plato himself isn't referenced anywhere in the Yorha files is he?

I vaguely remember an offhand comment by an android in an earlier update about a big fight that ended in both sides being wiped out that was pretty clearly a reference to Plato (just a weapon story at the time), but I can't remember which one it was. If I find it, I'll edit it in later.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Meanwhile I'm sitting here going "... those are some PRICEY-rear end DOLLS they are destroying there, goddamn, what was their budget?"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Picayune posted:

Meanwhile I'm sitting here going "... those are some PRICEY-rear end DOLLS they are destroying there, goddamn, what was their budget?"

Since they were making those dolls just to be destroyed they might have cheaped out on the materials

Just like YoRHa!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Picayune posted:

Their budget was YT drinking with the Square Enix Execs then getting them to sign checks while drunk.

Which was strange for him, as usually he has to get them drunk before they let him make a game period.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Since they were making those dolls just to be destroyed they might have cheaped out on the materials

Just like YoRHa!

Aoi Yuuki did make her own 9S doll...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

chiasaur11 posted:

Aoi Yuuki did make her own 9S doll...

Speaking of Nines, I didn't want to mention it until after all the costumes were revealed, but I did see online a bit of trivia that during development, his voice actor specifically requested an alternate costume based on Caim for 9S (that obviously never happened). So, 9S might be a dink, but his VA is pretty cool.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

The Dark Id posted:

Music Video: Amazarashi - Deserving of Life
:siren: (You should probably watch this. It’s the end of the DLC.) :siren:

Jesus, did someone let Three direct a music video?

Drakengard!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

"Deserving of Life" is also a psychological test!

Here's how it goes.

I loved the video, and thought it was gorgeously done, but altogether very sad, so I'm probably the second answer tinged with the fourth.

Whether the music's to your taste or not, I think it's really special that they did a collaboration like this. Every angle this game and story can be approached from shows just so much soul.

EclecticTastes posted:

Speaking of Nines, I didn't want to mention it until after all the costumes were revealed, but I did see online a bit of trivia that during development, his voice actor specifically requested an alternate costume based on Caim for 9S (that obviously never happened). So, 9S might be a dink, but his VA is pretty cool.

They secretly gave a half-assed version of it to A2 in the form of the brown hair dye. :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It looks like the new Stellaris dlc has some new dialogue for robot empires:

Thyrork posted:

Never seen this reply before. :allears:

:yokotaro:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

EclecticTastes posted:

He got better than a costume. 9S was briefly possessed by the spirit of Caim as evidenced by some of the murder faces he made when he was going crazy.

Also I stumbled on the Stellaris thing a little while ago and it did give me a good chuckle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mazed posted:

"Deserving of Life" is also a psychological test!

Here's how it goes.

quote:

6. “I thought that the soiled beautiful dolls were erotic” - Type that like to emphasizes the feeling of their inner world from the standpoint of artistic.
Your sense is different from the people in general and it is very individual. Sometimes that ability is demonstrated in the field of art. However, the glimpse of your own senses and sensibilities do not match from one theory to other theory. Sometimes you may have trouble in understanding the surroundings.

Uh....

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Aoi Yuuki likes 9S. A lot.

I don't feel it's safe to argue with her, is all I'm saying.

Also, 9S's VA mentioned playing Drakengard when he was a kid, which drew a lot of "That's really not a kid's game."

He also was very happy with how 9S developed because he got to play one of the most Yoko Taro characters.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh yeah, the first room of the last DLC chapter has an easter egg in it that might've been missed.

Don't be ashamed.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

It's clear that there's a bit lost in translation, which explains why the passages are written in rather awkward, stilted-sounding English, so some connotations may have been lost. Also, while the sixth response is definitely the kind of thought that isn't exactly appropriate to discuss in public, it's a pretty well-established (within the field of psychology) kind of reaction some people have to the destruction or marring of beautiful things. Human minds are complex, hosed-up things, and while one can control how they express and deal with their gut reactions to stuff, there's not much one can do to control what those reactions are. So, yeah, if someone honestly feels that #6 best represents their reaction to the video, there's nothing to be ashamed of, as long as they're not creeps about it IRL.

As for me, since "tests" like this are grossly oversimplified in that nobody ever fits just one of these descriptions*, I'd rank my feelings on video (from most to least) as 7-2-4-3-8-5-6-1.

*This (along with many other flaws due to the test being designed by literal amateurs with zero actual expertise or credentials who defined things completely arbitrarily) is why if you take multiple Myers-Briggs tests with different questions, you'll often end up with significantly different results between each. Even the same test, if taken just a few days or weeks apart, can produce different results based on how one is feeling at that moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Meyers-Briggs is about as useful as astrological sign, and it should be a crime to use it for hiring decisions.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Meyers-Briggs is about as useful as astrological sign, and it should be a crime to use it for hiring decisions.

This, too, it's basically a Cosmo Quiz that dumb people think looks "official", but it's well-known enough that it seemed a good example of how people can't be defined in simple terms.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bruceski posted:

There's one thing it's fuckin' great at, which is to immediately mark anyone who brings up their result type as a gigantic tool.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EclecticTastes posted:

This, too, it's basically a Cosmo Quiz that dumb people think looks "official", but it's well-known enough that it seemed a good example of how people can't be defined in simple terms.

Oh yeah, as an example of flawed personality evaluations it's great.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

-Me

7. “I thought of the dolls were a poor thing” - Type of Idealist and Sociable who actively involved in society.
You have a high communication skills, and you feel that your thoughts is in common with other people. For that reason you actively express your emotions. Also, since your way of thinking is common, it is easy to gain empathy. But on the other hand, people who have uncommon feelings and ideas with too strong individuality may feel uncomfortable and look at you with prejudice eyes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I don't think the bottom-line Myers-Briggs result has terribly much meaning (because let's face it, any well-rounded person is realistically going to be at least somewhat straddling the line on multiple pairs). But there is something to be said for acknowledging that given the choice you'd, say, lean towards a logical approach or lean towards an emotional approach, and knowing whether that's a pronounced preference or only a mild one.

The issue I have with it is not so much that there's nothing useful to be gained in self-awareness (because I do think there are nuggets of usefulness there) but that, as previously mentioned in this topic, people often over attribute the importance, particularly of the singular specific 1/16 "final result".

Vil fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 28, 2018

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
YoRHa wear blindfolds to cover up their INTJ stares.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RedMagus posted:

I think I'm grasping the message of this game but once all is said and done I'd appreciate a analysis.

But man, both sides inflicting so much suffering for nothing it seems is really :smith:

Yea, I will read all the in depth analysis once this is all said and done. Jesus.

Also, I know folks will tell me to DIAF, but Nier:Automata is an excellent backdrop for a MMORPG. Neverending hell war? Multiple factions within main factions? Massive reuse of assets? Perfect for hell war!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Donkringel posted:

Also, I know folks will tell me to DIAF, but Nier:Automata is an excellent backdrop for a MMORPG. Neverending hell war? Multiple factions within main factions? Massive reuse of assets? Perfect for hell war!

On one hand I think not renewing your subscription fee is probably a good way out of the forever war on the other hand I'd might just start Burning Man RP in the desert for the game's lifespan

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The issue with doing a Yoko Taro MMO is that MMOs can't really get away with some of the next-level trolling his games usually feature.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Using the setting of N:A as the backdrop for a bland, uninspired MMO with stupid amounts of grinding and piss-poor rewards would be a really fantastic Cavia-level troll job.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ultrafilter posted:

Using the setting of N:A as the backdrop for a bland, uninspired MMO with stupid amounts of grinding and piss-poor rewards would be a really fantastic Cavia-level troll job.

Level your character enough and they'll randomly catch the logic virus and die. How much is enough? No one knows!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CLI: My Immersion...

Music: Vague Hope - Spring Rain

OK. Maybe we’re not quite done with the DLC. Perhaps there is a lingering 5% that only unlocks after we’ve completed Plato’s story. As soon as we load the game back up, we’re dumped at the nearest Access Point and our android of choice receives an email. We’ll we’re right here, so let’s take a look.

So in case you were wondering, it was Plato 1728 sending all of those messages leading us to the DLC colosseums and here. He’s still hooked up to some machine somewhere, unable to do anything because he’s mad dangerous if he ever got out and was pissed again. Bummer.

Our reward for completing Plato’s sidequest is this icon which can... somehow... be loaded into the jukebox back at the Resistance Camp to listen to all of the “unique” tracks from the DLC. Vague Hope (Spring Rain) the only actual new track is on the next page. That’s neat, I guess. Kinda wish I knew this was here before I manually mixed the samplings of those myself to get the right results... But hindsight and all that...

We have one final order of business before we are actually done with the DLC. This requires a return visit to the Gambler’s Colosseum back in the Flooded City.

Music: Gambling Colosseum

Remember that weird woman that appeared at the end of this segment, asking if we had an appoint with “You-Know-Who” before we departed? We can now talk to her.

She’ll give us the same dialogue and the conversation ends. Buuuut... now that we’ve sorted out Plato’s business, we can now ask her multiple times and new dialogue may occur. Let’s try that...

<I wanna fight you-know-who.>
I’m sorry. I’m not authorized to make that decision.
Okay. I’m going to ask again, because I’m nice: IS there something I can help you with?
<I wanna fight you-know-who.>
Alright, if you insist. But I have to warn you: what you’re about to see may end up destroying your sense of immersion. Are you okay with that?
<Immersion schmimmersion.>
Are you REALLY super duper sure you want to do this? This is your last chance to back out!
<Immersion schmimmersion!>
Very well then. Follow me.

Music: Dark Colossus KAIJU (Intro)

<floats to the ground> The name is Yosuke Matsuda. Let’s see what you’re made of, shall we?

DLC Music: Birth of a Wish (CEO)
(You should listen to this!)

Behold the final boss of the NieR: Automata DLC – the CEO of Square-Enix. All he does is walk menacingly towards us at first. But that doesn’t persist.

But that doesn’t persist. Soon he unleashes a massive volley of energy filled versions of his head.

Finally, after all these LPs... I finally get to kill you the leadership of Square-Enix. Sure maybe you’re not the one that was at the helm for most of the troubles. I’ll hunt down that fucker Yoichi Wada another day. But you’ll do for now! DIE!

Yosuke Matsuda here is actually a reskin of Adam’s final fight just without all the crazy particle effects and teleportation but with 10x more projectile spamming. All the shields and Tekken rear end looking combos Adam had is also the property of the CEO.

However, since we’ve got 14 Levels on this Level 85 CEO, it’s WAY easier to launch him after dodging an attack and melee countering. Air juggling Square-Enix’s CEO feels pretty good. Gotta say. Maybe this DLC was worth it. A second season pass for Final Fantasy XV? Are you for real, rear end in a top hat?!

That said, once he drops below 66% HP, the battle grinds to a halt as a new challenger enters the ring...

Mind if I join in?

<floats to the ground> Kenichi Sato!

DLC Music: Birth of a Wish (CEO Duet)
(You should listen to this!)

Let’s get it on!

Kenichi Sato opens with immediately trying to Shoryuken 2B because of course he would. He can also distract you by having Kamiya block you on Twitter. Sato is way more of a proactive melee guy that will attempt to rush down 2B which Square-Enix’s CEO provides energy orb Powered Yosuke Matsuda Head volleys as support.

The thing is, we only need to take one of these two CEOs. And we’ve already gotten Square-Enix’s CEO down to two-thirds health. On top of that, PlatinumGames hasn’t really wronged me to any notable extent.

Now Square-Enix on the other hand...

...we’ve got some goddamn beef. This here Papa Nier pipe and CEO Yosuke Matsuda’s head quickly got well acquainted. It doesn’t go well for him.

Once one the CEOs are defeated, the two teleport and begin hovering in the center of the room. They have some words for our android. In an increasingly sinister robotic voice filter, to boot...

Allow us to give you a parting gift before we leave though. Hope you like it!

The CEOs’ parting gift is an explosion of energy resulting in an intense rain of homing CEO Head energy bullets. Despite 2B being Level 99 and these foes being Level 85, these energy shots still hurt surprisingly bad. Like a quarter of 2B’s HP bad.

Our only recourse here is to just run and hope we don’t get hit. Thankfully, we’ve got the anti-chain damage (cannot get stunlocked) plug-in chip installed or else taking a glowing middle aged Japanese man’s head to the face would almost certainly result in a quick death.

After a 30 second trial of avoiding headbutts from disembodied Japanese businessmen heads, the CEO of Square-Enix and PlatinumGames burst with energy and explode. I’d expect no different end from two men crazy enough to greenlight a sequel to NIER.

Music: Gambling Colosseum

It has been greatly entertaining to watch you fight at peak performance. Here’s a little gift for you as token of our appreciation.

And here are the final rewards for the DLC of NieR: Automata. The Record: CEO is just a CD that can be used in the Resistance Camp jukebox to listen to the Birth of a Wish (CEO) song. Both versions are available for our listening pleasure.

Music: Vague Hope - Spring Rain

Next we have the CEO Bullets. Much like the Emil Bullets from earlier, it transforms the omnipresent enemy energy orbs into the heads of Yosuke Matsuda. The description claims Kenichi Sato heads should also be present, but I tried against a few different enemies and only got the Square-Enix CEO energy heads. Weird sentence to type, that.

Next up we have a big foam novelty head of Yosuke Matsuda, if that’s your kinda thing. He wears that YoRHa uniform well. Very shapely.

Finally, we have a matching Kenichi Sato mask to make 9S very uncomfortable while wearing. I suppose it’s possible to go load up a chapter with 9S and have him wear one head while 2B wears another to act out an incredibly specific fetish I’m sure one weird out there must possess.

But for now, our business with the 3C3C1D119440927 DLC has truly and finally concluded. Tune in next time for the last of the sidequests. As soon as I get this last loving rear end in a top hat robot in the desert to bloody spawn. Who did I piss off to get such bad RNG with just this specific game?! ARGH!

Video: You-Know-Who Boss Battle
(You should probably watch this!)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 1, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Holy poo poo, that's loving incredible. Justifies the entire DLC, really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Dark Id posted:

But for now, our business with the 3C3C1D119440927 DLC has truly and finally concluded. Tune in next time for the last of the sidequests. As soon as I get this last loving rear end in a top hat robot in the desert to bloody spawn. Who did I piss off to get such bad RNG with just this specific game?! ARGH!

You know the answer:

:yokotaro:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StandardVC10 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's loving incredible. Justifies the entire DLC, really.

And in true :yokotaro: fashion, this entire fight is pre-spoiled for you in the steam trailer for the DLC.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
This game is great. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:catstare:
I did not see that coming. I do like that the CEOs were down with it though; I want to believe :yokotaro: challenged them to a drinking contest for the rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love this version of Birth of a Wish so much. :allears:

e: am I the only one having weird sound/image sync issues with the episode highlight reel?

Leraika fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 1, 2018

• Locked thread