Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Edit: Whoops. Disregard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CLIII: Emil’s Determination

Let’s embark on the final sidequest of NieR: Automata. Emil has driven off to points unknown in the desert. 9S, being a busybody as always, decides he needs to investigate. This quest can actually be done with any of the three androids and there’s slightly different dialogue for each. But we’re going to be going with 9S since he’s the one that has interacted the most with Emil. A2 like stopped by his shop once and thought he was weird. And 2B is kinda dead, so that’d be weird...

Music: Memories of Dust

On we go to a final trek to the Desert Zone. Indeed, this is the last time we’ll ever be using an Access Point to fast travel. Thanks for cutting on all the travel time, least inconspicuous transportation device since the TARDIS.

Emil’s signal for this quest is coming in the northwestern corner of the Desert Zone. I feel like we’ve been there once before but it’s slipping my mind... Oh well, let’s take one last boar drift for old time’s sake and head on out to the far reaches of the wastes.

VIDEO: CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE UPCOMING EVENTS
:siren: (You should probably just do this.) :siren:

Are these... Emil?

Oh that’s right... The creepy as hell giant Emil head graveyard. That’s a touch worrying our Emil headed out here all the sudden. He seems to be having some issue. It’s hard enough walking around here, Emil. Driving is a big mistake.

Watch... out... They’re still... alive...

Music: Emil [Despair]
(Hey go listen to this right now!)

So welcome to the secondary super boss of the base game of NieR: Automata – Emil! No... not our silly shop keeper top boy. This is something slightly different...

RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRAAAHHH!!!

Alert: Magical weapons from the old world detected. Magical elements have a high probability of penetrating all defense systems. Proposal: Evade.
I know that!

Meet the Emil Clones. This is technically a Level 99 reskin of Hegel. But it’s infinitely less annoying for a few reasons. Firstly, that stupid aerial attack where it bombards the ground with energy orbs is only performed right at the start of the battle for a few seconds to introduce the boss.

After a moment or two, the Emil heads split apart, shed their creepy skeleton spider legs and fall to the ground below. The real fight begins now. They also become quite chatty. They sound like a chorus of booming Emil voices that sound extremely pissed/upset.

Why just us... Why do we have to... We... We must... kill them all! We don’t need it! We don’t need this world!

Now independent of one another, the giant Emil heads proceed to roll around and blast laser beam eyes in 9S’s general direction. Much like the Hegel fight, more than one can fire a beam at a time and they don’t give the first crap whether the blast is coming from off screen or through their compatriots. It cannot be dodged by normal means at all, so it must be avoided by just booking as soon as it gets near our android.

Unlike the Hegel fight, while the Emil heads will roll around all willy-nilly, they don’t seem to do any damage if they collide with 9S. So that’s another really annoying part about the similar boss battle nixed. Maybe it’s just me put they also seem way less likely to all attack at once or attempt to surround our android. It’s like they nerfed the obnoxious parts of its AI and that was just enough to make it an alright boss battle instead of complete trash like Hegel.

I don’t know how much more of this I can take!

Emil (the nice boy) contacts 9S...

Years of multiplying... Years of fighting in wars... Their sense of self just... deteriorated. I need to settle things with them. On my own.
Stop it! You have to stand down!

At this point, in addition to the eye lasers, the Emils start emitting energy orbs more Emil clone heads. Now this fight turns into a proper clusterfuck like Hegel. This can be a really rough fight... were we not also at Level 99. I think I did this at around Level 80ish my first playthrough and that was a taxing time. 9S can hack Emil heads and that’s about the only way I managed to beat it then.

All of the Emil clones possess their own health bars and we need to defeat them all to trigger the final phase of this battle. The problem is, when an Emil’s health is depleted its HP meter just vanishes unceremoniously. It doesn’t stop attacking. And given how massive and rapidly moving the lot of ‘em tend to be... it’s kinda easy not to notice an Emil is defeated and we’re wasting our time attacking it further. So that’s rather annoying. It’s best just to break off attack regularly when crowded and scouting out which Emil still possesses a health meter before refocusing the attack.

This stops being an issue once about two-thirds of the Emils have their health depleted. At his point, they gain shields to indicate they’re out of the fight. Mind you, they’ll still happily attack 9S with eye beams which disabled. But attacking them any further is useless. Also, they start uhh...

La la la la la la la la la la la...

I. Hear. A. Sound.

We tried our best! In the rain. In the wind. In the storm. Even when our companions died, we kept fighting. But the eternal war... Our eternal pain... Hahaha... The eternal pain! It screamed at us! It told us there was nothing of value to protect in this world... The world had no meaning! Hahaha! It SCREAMED at us!

<maniacal laughter slowly turning to anguished sobbing>
STOP!

Music: Emil ~ Sacrifice

This pain! This sadness! This DESPERATION! YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT!

Emil Prime chimes in again. All the Emil clones stop fighting now.

No matter how hard or how painful... They never gave up. They kept fighting because they believed they could overcome someday! Isn’t that right, Kainé!? Even if it’s pointless, you still have to do it! BECAUSE THIS IS THE WORLD MY FRIEND TRIED TO SAVE!
Guh...

At this point, all of the Emil clones, save one, blow themselves up. Also a worrying “Time Until Emil Self-Destructs” 10 second countdown timer appears...

A randomly selected one of the Emil clones now charges up a blast and there is a ten second window to take it down before it detonates.

Not to undercut the drama or anything but... you know how way back when I said there was exactly one thing in the entire game that could actually be permanently missed? It’s this right here. We’re just going to let that timer countdown to zero...

Music: ENDS

Ending Y is the only thing in the entire game that can be missed since it’s an ending that is only present in a sidequest and once this sidequest is done, like every sidequest, it’s done for good. Once this sidequest is completed, the game will immediately ask you to save. So if you didn't know that an ending resulted here and saved over your old file? Tough poo poo! It's gone forever. That said, this bad ending does indeed mean redoing that entire boss fight. But through the magic of editing we can just jump back to where we left off. Like so!

Music: Emil ~ Sacrifice

The final Emil clone has extremely low HP and just about any attack will take it down. Though I almost did end up getting Ending Y again because the final clone is randomly selected and it can be a decent clip away from our position and the ten seconds allotted to stop it from destroying the entire planet. Once it too is destroyed, then we get one final scene...

I can’t believe I remembered something so important... right at the end.
Emil...
I was running... from the memories of losing those close to me... It was so hard... So painful... At the end... I did a lot of bad things to you, 9S. But now I get to see them again... Really soon...
Hold on, Emil. We’ll repair you and get you back to normal.
Oh... hey! There you are... I’m so glad... I got to see you all again...
<flatlines>
Emil...

:smith:

And there you have it. The final sidequest of NieR: Automata – Killing off Emil. We’re dumped back to the title screen, appropriately enough. Since all that is left to do is to load up the final battle and side with 9S this time to get Ending D and whatever may come after that... No, it is not a post-credits thing where Emil actually lived. He's 100% dead. Full stop. Spoilers.

The end of Yoko Taro’s wild ride is in sight. Stay tuned...

Video: Episode 153 Highlight Reel
(Hey go watch this!)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 6, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
okay now I want to get off of Yoko Taro's wild ride, please

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Poor loving Emil.

But we're finally near the end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I guess not every day's a win when you're him.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Leraika posted:

No one stops.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leraika posted:

Nothing stops.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, when I did this I deliberately got the bad end, then had to try again like 5 times before I was actually able to find and stop the final head before it exploded. things lose a bit of impact the fifth time around, let me tell you.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mega64 posted:

Poor loving Emil.

But we're finally near the end.

Emil's already there. Waiting for us.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AirborneNinja posted:

No one stops.

Not even Emil. Sure, these ones are all dead, but the original is still around, according to interviews.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When I did this one, it was as A2; it kept selecting Emil heads that had rolled somewhere I couldn't get to (they can go out of bounds! :shepicide:) for the one you have to kill to avoid ending Y. I had to kill poor Emil like 3 times :(

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At least Emil can finally rest now.

BlitzMentalist
Jan 20, 2018

A Person Who Does Things.
I did end up seeing this before.

It doesn't hurt less, seeing it again.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

In a way, I think this is Yoko Taro's last gently caress you to completionists. Congrats, you've completed all the weapons, here's your reward: having to kill the best boy twice.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Before I played, I was spoiled that you could fight Emil.

I thought the shopkkeper fight was that. Then I got to this and, uh, wow.

Wow.

Yeah.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

chiasaur11 posted:

Not even Emil. Sure, these ones are all dead, but the original is still around, according to interviews.

That may just be one of the saddest parts of all this, when you think about it. Not only did we have to put down the best boy, we didn't actually put it to a complete and total stop. The original Emil is still out there, suffering and maybe even still creating clones, for all I know. So how many times is this going to repeat - and how many times did something like this happen before now?

Dammit, Taro, I didn't want to think about this on a weekend or ever. :smith:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So... when Emil mentioned his friend that fought to save the world...

Did Emil remember Nier?

'cause the way they worded it makes it seem like he wasn't talking about Kainé there.

Something to think about.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wasn't there a bonus ending E in the supplementary materials where Nier came back to life or something

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Also supported by the emil bracers' weapon story being further down the timeline and from the point of view of one of the emils
I think there is other supplementary material (some card game that nier & drakengard crossed over with?) that says emil made an absurd, but very exact, number of clones. Despite shop-emil's hopes this would be the end, there's probably just way too many even if the original wasn't still kicking.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So this is your reward for doing all the quests and upgrading all weapons? A bunch of Emils that have gone crazy from centuries of loneliness and the real one dying? All based on the worst boss fight in the game?

Hang on a sec... where did I put... ah, here it is

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Hahahaha, eat poo poo completionists!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Good night, best boy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I heard that Emil seeing Nier and Kaine right before he dies is an English-only bit. In the original script, he dies of heartbreak, lamenting his worthlessness right to the very end.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I heard that Emil seeing Nier and Kaine right before he dies is an English-only bit. In the original script, he dies of heartbreak, lamenting his worthlessness right to the very end.

Making the English version by default better because Emil deserves to go out with a least a little bit of peace at the end.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

He really was one in a million.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I only found out about this after I was well and truly done with the game. In retrospect I'm really glad I did, I don't think I have the heart to kill Emil of all people like that.

loving Yoko "Sith Lord" Taro folks!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

*An* Emil is dead, right? There's still one, non Watcher infected one out there... somewhere... right?

e: his megaphone is convulsing. :smith:

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 5, 2018

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

The final Emil clone has extremely low HP and just about any attack will take it down. Though I almost did end up getting Ending Y again because the final clone is randomly selected and it can be a decent clip away from our position and the ten seconds allotted to stop it from destroying the entire planet. Once it too is destroyed, then we get one final scene...

Also, FYI? The clones apparently ignore the invisible walls. It's entirely possible to have one roll beyond a barrier and then get picked to be the terrorist vest unit, making it nearly impossible to avoid Ending Y even if you weren't going for it. That's actually how I got it the first time.

And the game had the audacity to try it again on the round where I actually went for the win, but I had a maxed out Laser Pod with the Laser Program and a bunch of Ranged Attack Up chips, and they blasted down its remaining HP in about half a second. Nice try, Yoko Taro!

EDIT: Though mind you, having to put Best Boy out of his eternal misery is enough damage to make up for it. Dammit, :yokotaro:

:smithicide:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 5, 2018

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
That's your reward for playing this game to 100%? Not only killing Best Boy Email, but learning that his clones, and thus different versions of him, have been going insane from an eternal war and have been infected by The Watchers?

:yokotaro:

I literally said out loud "That's not a good sign" when they all started chanting

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Honestly, I'm not sure how much of the Watcher stuff is meant to be taken literally. I feel like it's more of a repetition of motifs - especially in the case of the Machines, basically imitating some of the worst of human history through the Logic Virus/Red Eye, as well as the avatar of the Red Girls resembling Manah. That, or it could just be a reference.
But then there's stuff like the Machines talking about flowers, their cores being modeled after plant cells, and Adam referring to the aliens as "plant-like" that makes me suspect that there might be some connection with Drakengard 3's Flower. But I honestly don't loving know, and I'm not even sure Taro does. I think these kind of mysteries are meant to be kind of ambiguous and frustrating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Emil's "la la la's" are actually singing along to the background music, until they break down and just start screaming it over and over.

Those boys ain't right.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Poor Emil... :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Goddamn, Yoko Taro. Just, goddamn. :smith:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Beefstew posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how much of the Watcher stuff is meant to be taken literally. I feel like it's more of a repetition of motifs - especially in the case of the Machines, basically imitating some of the worst of human history through the Logic Virus/Red Eye, as well as the avatar of the Red Girls resembling Manah. That, or it could just be a reference.
But then there's stuff like the Machines talking about flowers, their cores being modeled after plant cells, and Adam referring to the aliens as "plant-like" that makes me suspect that there might be some connection with Drakengard 3's Flower. But I honestly don't loving know, and I'm not even sure Taro does. I think these kind of mysteries are meant to be kind of ambiguous and frustrating.

What I find interesting about this game is the fact that the question isn't "Are the Watchers influencing this somehow," but rather "How much are they influencing things."

Because dude. The symbol that showed up on Eve's body and the fact that the machines connected to him immediately went to full cannibal mode is pretty damned blatant Watcher corruption. But aside from that, you really don't know.

They are still out there. And they still don't like humans (or more accurately the machines following after them). But it's never entirely clear just how much power they still have...

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 5, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Dr. Snark posted:

What I find interesting about this game is the fact that the question isn't "Are the Watchers influencing this somehow," but rather "How much are they influencing things."

Because dude. The symbol that showed up on Eve's body and the fact that the machines connected to him immediately went to full cannibal mode is pretty damned blatant Watcher corruption. But aside from that, you really don't know.

They are still out there. And they still don't like humans (or more accurately the machines following after them). But it's never entirely clear just how much power they still have...

My assumption is that their influence is primarily linked to the residual effects of the maso particles that started this whole mess, given that maso particles are just Powdered Watcher. Even with the particles themselves removed from the equation, so much of the underlying technology used in the Gestalt Project and its related programs was derived from research on them that it likely acts as a sort of link. Note how none of the Machine Lifeforms outside the network (and thus free from the Gestalt Project-derived Girls In Red AIs) ever suffered from the Logic Virus, nor did any non-YoRHa androids that we know of, likely because their operating systems weren't compatible with the Girls In Red (and every YoRHa android that caught the Logic Virus did so some time after hacking or being hacked by infected Machine Lifeforms or the Girls In Red themselves).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Snark posted:

As far as I can tell, not much in this game. They know where this timeline/parallel dimension is thanks to Drakengard 1/E, but humanity dumping Masyo back into the Draken dimension seems to have sealed them off. They're trying to make inroads again (Eve, Emil) but the year is about 12k now and they're still not having that much success.
Plus our android Time Lady is actively working to keep them away from Earth.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I did this fight as A2 (because I wished there was more of A2). She calls Emil "round guy" and also tries to fix him up. To no avail, of course.

That said, even at level 99 I found it to be a satisfyingly tense battle, for what it was. One can only assume slamming multiple recoveries when you get blasted by like ten lasers clipping through each other was an intended strategy. :v:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

can we get some confirmation on this? it's possibly the most :yokotaro: thing ever

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's not true, the scripts are the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was too lazy to get all the weapons or steal Emil's stuff in my game so he remains alive and happy there forever. :colbert:

• Locked thread