Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Kavak posted:

"I live on, through this arm!"

Not thematically related but this made me remember the best part of MGS4

E: oh poo poo new page what up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
It still baffles me that they didn't set damage caps on hacking for this fight in order to facilitate the pause screen bit, because they certainly aren't shy about doing it all over the rest of the game.
I shouldn't have had to see that in an easter egg youtube video instead being properly surprised by it in-game.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Zerilan posted:

The voice acting at the start of the fight was really good too, 9S just sounding completely overcome by emotion like he's simultaneously about to burst out crying and laughing.

When the game first came out, and even later, there was a bunch of controversy about the English voice-over vs. Japanese voice-over. I never heard the Japanese because I don't know the language so I feel like I wouldn't get it. But I think the English voicing for the game was perfect. There's some videos you can find on Youtube (AFTER the Let's Play is done cause spoilers) that have the English VO actors reading supplementary materials and doing Let's Plays in character that are really good.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

:effort: I'm not sure why I did this.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

jonsicoli posted:

Not thematically related but this made me remember the best part of MGS4

E: oh poo poo new page what up

goddamn it now I kinda wanna play through MGS4 again

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omobono posted:

2) because 9S is an idiot.

The scientific term is "Dingus".

Major, major dingus.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
*rumble*

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I can't decide if this is goofier than what was actually in MGS4.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:effort: I'm not sure why I did this.

Holy poo poo! :eyepop:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The whole ark thing really reminded me of Deus' deal in Xenogears. Like if it had actually pulled off it's plan, assimilating lifeforms (machine, in this case) then loving off to space, if not stopped by a team of giant kung fu robots and a mascot.

dude, don't spoil ending E

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 8, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I come bearing someone else's content but it made me laugh so I'm sharing it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

:allears: I love the stuff produced because of this game.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
This page is just a cornucopia of wonderful content.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

My favorite bit about endings C and D is that in C, A2 compassionately and selflessly sacrifices herself to stop the railgun and destroy the tower, accidentally genociding the Machine race, and in D here kill-crazy hosed-up murder-machine 9S accidentally clears the way for the Machines to escape the cycle of vengeance and live among the stars.

YoRHa are fuckin' cursed to be fuckups, man.

So A2 killed all the machines and then herself. She got everything she wanted in the end. :unsmith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
If 9S comes along with the Machine Lifeforms, then doesn't that mean that the logic virus (and thus the watchers) have succesfully left Earth to gently caress up something else?

Also why are Adam and Eve there, I thought they were dead? :psyduck:

Next update the 2 pods duke it out over deleting the data. Losing to pod 152 will mean the end of your save file.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So A2 killed all the machines and then herself. She got everything she wanted in the end. :unsmith:

The happy ending Taro promised.

Except for 9S, who was still alive and logic virus free, which strikes me as the equivalent of waking up after a night out to find you've been fired, your house was burned down, and the police had to invent half a dozen new crimes just to describe what you did.

So, as I said. Happy ending.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Darth TNT posted:

I assume their personalities or whatever were backed up on the ark somehow

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Darth TNT posted:

Just because two bodies of theirs disconnected from the network doesn't mean they were deleted from it. It's not different from the backups that Yorha had, except that they were constantly updated until they were disconnected.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The 9S screaming in agony as he dies thing reminds me of FF Type-0, which also used that kind of thing to similar effect as a criticism of games using the whole Child Soldier thing without considering how hosed up it is - the game starts with the main character and his chocobo being killed in a warzone and crying in pain and fear for about 3 minutes as they slowly bleed out.

The game ends with The entire class, after barely surviving a fight with a literal God, panicking when they get back and realise that they are not going to make it in the long term due to their severe injuries. The older students try to keep it together by talking about what they want to do in the future, knowing that they no longer have one, but trying to give the younger kids something to focus on besides their pain. It's a really hard to watch thing but thematically appropriate.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I really hope Yoko Taro does a mainstream Final Fantasy

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Judging by what I hear about the ending of Type-0, i think he already did

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The machines are pursuing new research. He claims what they're doing in the Flooded City is the missing piece... a shopkeeper to surpass Metal Gear...

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The machines are pursuing new research. He claims what they're doing in the Flooded City is the missing piece... a shopkeeper to surpass Metal Gear Drebin 893...

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.

Leraika posted:

okay now I want to get off of Yoko Taro's wild ride, please

Nobody stops.

This content has been deemed inappropriate for pretty much everyone. Please stand by.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ending E is going to be simply magical for anyone who hasn't experienced it yet. Id should just put up a video of it with no context, no subtitles, nothing and then do a "proper" post later.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

This was not so much unknown as entirely not noteworthy.

How the hell is this not known? I knew this poo poo when I played on the SNES! It's in guides because it's how to get a fusion material. I'm calling BS on this taking ages to discover.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Until I saw this I had forgot entirely about the existence of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Dammit 9S, phrasing.

Also A2 has been walking around without pants for years now, she really has no room to talk.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

EclecticTastes posted:

That's not Yoko Taro, that's Tim Schafer.

Though, the balls it took to hide an RTS inside what was advertised as a semi-open-world Rare-style action-adventure game is pretty on-par with some of the poo poo Taro's pulled (in both good and bad ways).

To be fair, the advertising angle wasn't his intention, but instead 'suggested' by EA. Schafer was PISSED that the game was marketed the way it was, but could do nothing about it.

Also, count me in for the hoard of not getting to see the A2 menu hack. loving glorious.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
9S' ending is really phenomenal IMO and in a way the happiest ending in my eyes. The machines just stop and leave because trying to exist on Earth as the native people of Earth did is only bringing everybody misery. Exsisting in a way that's uniquely possible to a bunch of artificial intelligences is the way to go

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Ryushikaze posted:

How the hell is this not known? I knew this poo poo when I played on the SNES! It's in guides because it's how to get a fusion material. I'm calling BS on this taking ages to discover.

The fusion, Seny, shows up later if you don't pick her up there.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i recommend that people who haven't played this game try to guess what the next bit is

For the sake of a weird guess that I don't believe the internet would be able to shut up about this long (so unlikely to be the case) an FMV portion where the pods build physical, real-world bodies, upload themselves, confront the production offices and eventually maybe fight Yoko Taro into a less All Shall Fade type ending.

The Dark Id posted:

Her only unique moves is a full screen B-Mode dash and dropping from the sky

I specifically left aside on save slot back at the low 60s

A2 would die from that last hack from our Level 62 9S even if were completely unscratched beforehand

It’s also quite length, easily the longest non-story based Hack

the ending where he stays is happened.

Nates Helvetica
Nov 30, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

The game ends with The entire class, after barely surviving a fight with a literal God, panicking when they get back and realise that they are not going to make it in the long term due to their severe injuries. The older students try to keep it together by talking about what they want to do in the future, knowing that they no longer have one, but trying to give the younger kids something to focus on besides their pain. It's a really hard to watch thing but thematically appropriate.

Well, that game just went from 'never' to the backlog. Deep in backlog, but still added

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nina posted:

9S' ending is really phenomenal IMO and in a way the happiest ending in my eyes.

I wouldn't call it happiest, but it's got a satisfying combination of tragic, bittersweet, and hopeful that caps off the story well, from the perspective of the characters we see. A2 was always looking for a good way to die, the twins went out on their own terms, the androids live on (though with the implication of Jackass getting her own well-earned rampage) and most importantly, the machines, who by now we've gotten to know really well and had a satisfying narrative, play the good sport and walk away from the violence, thereby ending it.

The only purely miserable case is 9S, since the only thing keeping him moving was practically just spite, even though he isn't strictly at fault for what he became. Still, his grotesque demise here was appropriate. A sad end to a piteous person.

In the end, 9S makes me think of Kratos from the God of War series; pure fury and virtually unstoppable, but with the classic masculine power fantasy stripped away in favor of being basically a sapient disease, with his hacking just as cruel an affliction to machines as logic viruses were to YoRHa.

Bufuman posted:

Also A2 has been walking around without pants for years now, she really has no room to talk.

So on the subject, tangentially, since I was neck-deep in my own playthrough while the LP was on route C, I just want to say now how great I think A2's design is.

Blow up her YoRHa smock and it becomes clear she's a beat-up department store mannequin with rubber joints. It's only "sexy" in the most utterly superficial way, and otherwise straight-up uncanny valley. Made all the more so since she's such an expressive personality. Probably the second best design overall in the game, behind the perfect brilliance that is the look of the machine lifeforms.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 9, 2018

BlitzMentalist
Jan 20, 2018

A Person Who Does Things.
Well, it seems now all we have to do is wait for the End.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I really hope Yoko Taro does a mainstream Final Fantasy

I kept trying to come up with possible things he could do in response to this, only to ultimately decide nothing I could come up with was satisfactory.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CLV: The End of YoRHa

:siren: Pick one of these two and watch it: :siren:
Video: Ending E (The LP Playthrough. No commentary.)
Video: Ending E (Commentary from the first time I played the game before the LP.)

Everything that lives is designed to end. They are perpetually trapped... in a never-ending spiral of life and death.

However... life is all about the struggle within this cycle.

That is what “we” believe.

Pod 153 to Pod 042. How is it going?
I am... embarrassed.
Why is that?
I launched a suicide attack, and yet, here I am, still alive. I must look very silly.

Do not feel bad about it. We are alive, after all. And being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
That concept is a bit too abstract for me to understand at this time. I will save it in my list of things to analyze later.

Question, Pod 042. Did the data salvage restore all of their past memories?
Yes.

And are those recovered parts of the same design as previous ones?
Yes.

Then... won’t that simply lead us to the same conclusion as before?
I cannot deny the possibility.

However, the possibility of a different future also exists.

A future is not given to you.

It is something you must take for yourself.

Please respond to this query. Do you, faithful player The Dark Id, have anything you would like to say to other players who are suffering because they cannot finish NieR: Automata.

So all of those messages during Ending E were player generated, if you couldn’t guess. And now we... I mean, I have the chance to do the same. Of course. I’m not a dick. Mostly...

There are an extremely large number of options to choose from. I scrolled through them all quickly in the video. I’m not going to go through them all. We’d be here all day.

There are quite a few rear end in a top hat options at the bottom as well, if you’re a real piece of poo poo. Here’s a thing you probably didn’t know unless you’re a complete edgelord.

You’re allowed to be slightly cheeky and pick one dickish answer. Maybe two, depending on the severity. But if you pick all three as assholish answers, Pod 042 all but says you’re a prick and tosses you back to the title screen, canceling the rest of the proceedings.

But I’m not going to do that. You can also pick country of origin for your message. I don’t live in the United States anymore but ehh... I’m not scanning through all the El Nidos, Solarises and NotSpains of the world to find Canada. Or I forgot until I was reviewing the recording. Whichever one fits the narrative in your head best.

Once I leave my message, there’s one more thing left to do here...

Please respond to this query. You, The Dark Id, faithful player of this title, have lost your life multiple times to make it this far. You have faced crushing hardship, and suffered greatly for it.

Yeah, sure. I think we can all already see where this is going...

However, in exchange, you will lose all of your save data.

Yes and you are a complete piece of poo poo if you don’t do the same when you’re done with the game. It’s fine to say no and finish up what’s left. But if you don’t come back here and do the deed, you’re dirtbag. Full stop. If anyone says otherwise in the thread, everyone shame that fucker immediately. Yes, I still want to commit.

As a result, this person... who cries out for help even as we speak... may be someone you intensely dislike.

Yes, I’ll still help. Even if it’s an idiot McElroy brother who can’t follow a bright red X on an omnipresent mini-map to the correct fishing spot to progress in a previous title in the series. Or some jackass that loves belts, zippers and anime bullshit x Disney fanfiction.

But they will no longer be available to you.

Pod, I love this game and all but according to Steam I have 159 hours played of it. I’m positive. I'm done.

Some may say that your efforts are purely for show.

Pod 042 that 159 hours is mostly due to an LP that is nearly been running for a year now. I’m ready to let go...

Nah... you know what, I’m going to go grind out the last 60% of that fishing da—YES! Let’s just do this thing, Pod. It’s been real.

In exchange for all of your data... I will convey your will to this world.

I’m not going to miss that map. That was not a great map... I will continue to make fun of anyone bitching online about losing hours of progress after scrolling right past the Quick Save option, the one the menu defaults to every time the game is paused, to go eat that mackerel and getting Ending K. I'm sorry you were born a dumbass. World's a gently caress.

OK, this one hurts a little bit... But then I see the memory of Jean-Paul’s quest being cast into oblivion and it’s alright.

I suppose I went a little bit overboard on all those curatives. But I did end the game with almost 800,000 G so ehh... Worth it.

After Drakengard 1-3, this weapon collection was nothing. Take ‘em away. Iron Will can live bright and beautiful in my memories...

Honestly, I’ve forgotten half of those Pod Programs existed. I don’t think I’ve changed my configuration since Route B outside a couple specialized bits.

I’d like to have gotten more fishing done but this game’s RNG hated me with a burning passion for the duration of the LP and I gave up that goal after 45 minutes of fishing in the cavern near Emil’s home and getting exactly one of the like six unique fish that can be caught there. If you’re wondering about the missing tutorials, there’s one for dying and retrieving your body both online and offline. I never actually died unintentionally outside of the DLC the entire playthrough.

I’d have to have declined this bit to get Ending D and E added to the tally of save data. But that’s OK. They’re completed in my heart. Be kind to my save file, to you the future player of NieR: Automata. Or just eat poo poo at the marketing department with it. Glad to have helped.

And so, we must say goodbye. I feel a slight amount... of sadness.
It is time for the final words.
Affirmative.
To all of you who spent time with this game...
Thank you.

You know, for once... Yeah. All right. I’m not pissed hearing that at the end. :unsmith:

Music: Significance

Much like the original NieR, the only thing to mark our previous efforts is a new title screen. In any case, that was NieR: Automata. I hope you all enjoyed joining me on Yoko Taro’s Wild Ride. Somehow Yoko Taro got blackout drunk, got Square-Enix to give funding to PlatinumGames and made the game of the year in a year full of great games. And it actually sold well. And there will almost definitely be another one.... somehow. It keeps happening...

No one stops... It’s way too late to stop.

No one stops!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

This is it.

This is the first time ever that a video game had tears running down my goddamn cheeks.

That chorus.

That chorus.

I heard a sound, and it was beautiful.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
This is your reminder that Weight of the World is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of the ending is when you get a chance to enter your own message and you see all the negative things people could have said, but didn't.

The whole thing is complete genius though. Literally fighting Yoko Taro to save your android friends, it being practically impossible to do on your own, getting help from others, and then sacrificing yourself to help others. Literally the best video game ending of all time.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 9, 2018

• Locked thread