Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

drat, she goes from noting the virus but otherwise calm to freaking out and wanting to go home in 20 seconds
And then she became collateral damage from a bossfight, that's one of the arms of the boss, maybe the one 2B cut off and used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alavaria posted:

And then she became collateral damage from a bossfight, that's one of the arms of the boss, maybe the one 2B cut off and used?

No that's the first Marx that 9S blew up. Destroyed and landed there long before 11B died there.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Jagged Jim posted:

Welp, I just found out that getting a secret ending doesn't actually save your progress, just that you got the ending. I love redoing areas because you forgot to save. :sigh:

This game does not autosave.

I have absolutely gotten a joke ending that lost me progress in this game. And I was warned. At least I didn't lose much.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Why would you think getting a bad end saves your progress though? Its an END.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
Have you people never played a late 80s adventure game? How is it that you lack that reflexive urge to save early and often? Any time you see that "saving available" prompt, your immediate response should be "pause, save, keep going." Anything could happen at any time.

You have grown soft in the modern age of gaming. You are weak now.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Argh! Those red dots on the Factory map are the locked save points?! I was going mad trying to figure out what those quests were and where they went later on!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MythosDragon posted:

Why would you think getting a bad end saves your progress though? Its an END.

It saves to the system file and updates the profile page with the ending you get.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was a DLC package of costumes announced today to come out in early May and part of it is a new area to do things in. Go check out the main thread in Games if you want to see the details of it because it's all stuff we're not going to get to in this LP for a while yet.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There was a DLC package of costumes announced today to come out in early May and part of it is a new area to do things in. Go check out the main thread in Games if you want to see the details of it because it's all stuff we're not going to get to in this LP for a while yet.

Cool, I have to admit to loving costume DLC, playing dress up is fun. Maybe one of them isnt a horrendously short slit skirt.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MythosDragon posted:

Cool, I have to admit to loving costume DLC, playing dress up is fun. Maybe one of them isnt a horrendously short slit skirt.

I have bad news for you.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eopia posted:

I have bad news for you.

Well, I think the Kaine outfit technically isn't a skirt, but I am not an expert in such matters...

Neato
Mar 2, 2016

MythosDragon posted:

Then this is going to be the opposite of what you want.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Neato posted:

trolled by cavia

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neato posted:

One of them is exactly what he wants.

But yeah, the other very much not.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
I wonder if any of them will let you play as other characters. Like say, the commander, or maybe 9S, since we've actually seen him carry weapons and attack mobs.

OddObserver posted:

Well, I think the Kaine outfit technically isn't a skirt, but I am not an expert in such matters...
Hmm, with a Grimore pod and that, all you need is a 2B voicing of the like at the start of Nier.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
theres a thread in games to talk about the dlc.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

D3 was a letdown, even with Id's commentary. The jokey tone it maintained undermined a lot of the things that made D1 so fun to read through, and the plot twists weren't so bizarre as they were dumb and/or obvious.

Nier had a great story, with one of the best scripts and strangest casts I'd ever seen -- it's the Planescape: Torment of JRPGs. Drakengard 3 is just a bunch of ironic-but-not-really anime stereotypes pasted together with the glue rendered down from a thoroughly beaten dead horse. It felt like Taro Yoko was trying to live up to his hype instead of doing what he wanted and became a self-parody instead. D3 was a good LP, but only because Id's probably the best LPer around.

Nier 2: Automata looks pretty good so far, and I've always wanted to see an open-world game with Reveangance-style combat, so this is promising. I wish they'd stop with the silver-haired sword ladies though, because Kainé is a perfect creature and they will never, ever recapture that beautiful ball of hermaphroditic rage ever again. I also wish Yoko would quit being so on-the-nose with the "time is a flat circle" concept because it's keeping us from getting another protagonist as fun as Caim.

I've been told that a lot of the tone issues in d3 where caused by the translation, actually
As, a ongst other things, it is said the translation team all but completely changed zero's character

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Alavaria posted:

Hmm, with a Grimore pod and that, all you need is a 2B voicing of the like at the start of Nier.

You don't know how much I need a "9S, you dumbass!" voiceline.

I often listen to Kaine's speech before each LP update. And when I wake up. And ofher random times throughout the day.

I may have a problem.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Arkanumzilong posted:

I've been told that a lot of the tone issues in d3 where caused by the translation, actually
As, a ongst other things, it is said the translation team all but completely changed zero's character

Where do you see this info?

It's also interesting how one of the first things we're told is "emotions are prohibited" but even with the first few quests and communications, the whole Bunker is essentially a highschool/frat house.

Glory to Mankind.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've seen people say Zero is a lot more emotionless in Japanese, the implication being that they were taken by each of her sisters, and the English made her more pissed off in general. I don't think this works though, because there are many times Zero's actions are very clearly "I am very pissed off", and wouldn't work if she didn't actually care.

Drakengard 3 is a weird game because Yoko Taro explicitly tried to do something different, and it was never supposed to be the same as Nier or the first Drakengard. It works in some cases, it fails in others, but so do the rest of his games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC in the D3 thread, someone found a thing about Yoko Taro loving the translation and how Zero was portrayed.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I have to wonder if Automata has any translation differences in characterization. At the very least Yui Ishikawa's delivery usually makes 2B sound less harsh than Buckland.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I wouldn't really call 2B harsh, more like she's just trying to stay professional. Like it's an office job and she doesn't really care about 9S' home life.

...Of course, she seems to be the only one that really cares about it but darn it, she's trying to be a good worker.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm currently looking at the body of Ken(yes) in the exact spot so I imagine bodies persist for a WHILE

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
In the Japanese dub of the game, 2B was a lot more "matter of fact" "I'm only here to do my job" "emotions are prohibited" in her voice in the prologue, up until we get to the "NO YOU SHUT UP TOO" point, she reverts back to that at Glory to Mankind though. Also it's a lot harder to read subs when you're not trying to die on hard mode :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
some stuff might be diffrent but i assume its intentional for a western audiance. they did it in nier 1 too so some characaters being diffrent is most likely intentional.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
I heard there's gonna be a cross-promotional with Gravity Rush 2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thisuck posted:

Where do you see this info?

It's also interesting how one of the first things we're told is "emotions are prohibited" but even with the first few quests and communications, the whole Bunker is essentially a highschool/frat house.

Glory to Mankind.

(Kho-)dazat talked about it in the main Automata thread. They read/write Japanese and English so it's first hand from them.

They also said it's there in Automata in regards to 2B, but it's not night and day different characters.

Momomo posted:

I've seen people say Zero is a lot more emotionless in Japanese, the implication being that they were taken by each of her sisters, and the English made her more pissed off in general. I don't think this works though, because there are many times Zero's actions are very clearly "I am very pissed off", and wouldn't work if she didn't actually care.

Drakengard 3 is a weird game because Yoko Taro explicitly tried to do something different, and it was never supposed to be the same as Nier or the first Drakengard. It works in some cases, it fails in others, but so do the rest of his games.

Zero'd obviously get mad, like when the Airship goes down, but "I'm doing this because I'm real pissed off" and "I'm doing this because I want to get this poo poo over with and don't care what people think" aren't hugely far removed.
In terms of Automata, there's little reason to believe the actual text is inaccurate, but there are distinct differences in tone and delivery between English 2B and Japanese 2B at times.

Kira Buckland definitely comes across a lot more harsh and blunt than Yui Ishikawa, who feels more detached, somewhat similarly to how Japanese Zero is meant to be.

It probably is due to different audiences getting to grips better with certain archetypes, but It's definitely not the be all and end all and this game supports both languages out of the box, so just swap if you dislike one or the other.

There's a free 2B outfit coming to Gravity Rush 2. I think it's free anyway.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 17, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's called localization, not direct translation and 8-4 runs by their changes with the japanese people. They're not willy-nilly doing things behind their backs.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
So there's a DLC announced for this game on the Japanese PSN. You can get Kaine's costume, ani-bro's costume, and some wigs. Plus 2 optional ~immersion~ breaking boss fights the CEO of Square Enix and President of Platinum games, fully 3D modeled, Glory to Mankind. There is an article about it on Polygon but go to it at your own peril, the video they have for it is for an area we haven't seen yet not to mention the comments and additional screenshots sections.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

FeyerbrandX posted:

I guess since Pixar made that movie about a couple of robots the Androids have stricken the rest of their movies to the memory hole. Including the most important moral of any story ever.

NO CAPES.

2B fair *rimshot*, it's possible that neither The Incredibles nor WALL-E were ever released or made.

That said, am I the only one who suddenly compared 2B and 9S to WALL-E and EVE?

Pigbuster posted:

9S, meanwhile, is secretly one of the Animaniacs.
Hahaha. Oh dear...

apocalypticCritic posted:

I really want a game set as a prologue to Nier. Basically set during the Gestalt project's nascent stages, probably following the Hamelin organization during their efforts to fight against Red-Eye and the Legion, with a nice backdrop of the ongoing end of the world. It would be right up Taro's alley - you got child murder, eldritch horror, a horrible war for survival, and even though the game will end with the threat of the Legion mitigated, it would still be a while yet before the Gestalt project comes to fruition, so the world will still be screwed. And we'd have the added dramatic irony of knowing that, in the end, the events of Nier and their repercussions are still going to happen.
And then, considering this'd still be a Yoko Taro game, have that be Ending A... with the following endings being about the heroes learning of what the future holds and trying to find some way, any way, to avert that and save mankind.

Cue Accord, somehow...

The resulting game could wind up being NieR's answer to Drakengard 3.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

pulsor93 posted:

The resulting game could wind up being NieR's answer to Drakengard 3.

Except better, I hope. Though the NieR series has consistently been better than Drakengard thus far, so I'd have high hopes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

IIRC in the D3 thread, someone found a thing about Yoko Taro loving the translation and how Zero was portrayed.

I'm not surprised. If memory serves, he did personally go for 8-4 again after liking what they did with Nier.

They're a great localization team. Between their work with Taro, their Fire Emblems, and Revengeance, I'd say they're in contention for the best.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not surprised. If memory serves, he did personally go for 8-4 again after liking what they did with Nier.

They're a great localization team. Between their work with Taro, their Fire Emblems, and Revengeance, I'd say they're in contention for the best.

Xseed, no competition. These people live and breath localizing LoH at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MythosDragon posted:

Xseed, no competition. These people live and breath localizing Senran Kagura at this point.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode XIII: Jackass

Despite the initially vast appearance of the City Ruins and its place as the central hub of NieR: Automata’s game world... it turns out the whole place is only about three city blocks wide by maybe four blocks long. Give or take some collapsed infrastructure.

New Music: Memories of Dust (Quiet)

Just past a sandy stretch of road on the outskirts of the city, we come upon one of the few Save Terminals not under assault by irritable stubby machines. This is the final android outpost before leaving the city.

We’ve got a bit of a buffer zone to transverse before we reach the Desert proper. But this is the last chance for resupply before we head out. There’s a sole Resistance member manning the camp. Let’s see what their story is...

We’ve got a squadmate waiting in a rocky stretch up ahead. Head on over. Just remember that there’s nowhere to resupply out there. If you need anything, best to take care of it here while you can. What can I help you with?

This guy sells the same junk as the supply trader back in the Resistance Camp proper. Thanks to those couple of sidequests early and retrieving all our Prologue supplies, we’re more than prepared for the journey. But thanks anyway, guy.

The old world’s intact ruins have definitely dried up a bit out in the encroaching desert sands. At most all that is left is the occasional skeleton of an ancient building and an oil pipeline, which will be our guide toward our final destination. But before we can begin exploring, the Council of Humanity chimes in with a broadcast.

Currently, our struggle against the machine lifeforms is at a stalemate. This battle has raged for far too long. I am sure all of you find the effort grueling. But now is not the time to give up. Now, more than ever, we must forge on. Remember that several hundred thousand humans on the moon want nothing more than to return to Earth. Glory to mankind.
Those Council broadcasts are always so stiff.

Look, 9S. Let me tell you about human broadcasts back in the day and how you should be lucky that message didn’t conclude with a 90 second ad for Squarespace. It’s worth noting, the Council of Humanity’s broadcast concludes with dropping a text file of the speech into 2B’s email. Just in case any androids were busy doing their job or something.

Council of Humanity’s less than effective pep talk aside, there isn’t much in this new zone. There are some nooks and crannies we could explore, including a subterranean cave network beneath. But at this point in the game, it’s just a frustrating to negotiate series of dead ends with mediocre loot. So we’ll avoid that for now.

Machine lifeform wise, there’s a few Stubbies and the occasional roaming larger guys wandering the wastes. But there’s also... these guys.

...Yeah. These stacked up fellers. Umm... So they very slowly wander around aimlessly until 2B and 9S approach. At which point, they just turn and... stare. That’s it... That’s all they do. They just silently watch the androids. They literally cannot attack and make no effort to defend themselves. It’s really creepy the first time it’s encountered.

A strong attack can knock off their stacked segments until they’re just a little stubby boy, if you wanna be a jerk/don’t like the cut of their jib. They’ll still make no effort to do anything but stare. 9S takes this as a signal to go wild and start killing all stacked machines anywhere remotely nearby.

It’s not like there’s a drought of weird creepy Pokey bots in the area, 9S. We’ll be here all day if we try scrapping them all. Chill out. Let’s continue with the mission.

The rusty oil pipeline eventually dead ends at a crudely constructed but currently impenetrable barricade being overlooked by another Resistance member. We were told to contact them when we arrived and that is where the big red X dot is pointing. So...

Name’s Jackass. Nice to meetcha. I hear you’re planning to take out all the machines in the desert? Guess that means we need to get that entrance open.
Looks like it. So, um, Jack...rear end, was it? Err... What are you doing all the way out here?
Hmm? Oh, that. Well...

Don’t go trying to be a hero, all right?

Right, then. Barrier problem solved, I suppose. So that was Jackass. She’s the best android in the game. We may see her a few times again in the future. Explosives and science may or may not frequently be involved.

There’s gotta be an easier way, right?

Oh, 9S... Stop your bellyaching. We’re through, right? What’s the alternative? A catapult to get over the cavern system? That’d be a completely irresponsible use of YoRHa resources. So about this newly opened cave...

There are some... interestingly dressed machine lifeforms in here. Insofar as they’re well... dressed. That’s new. Also there’s the part where they’re wearing Façade masks from the original Nier – a weird desert dwelling tribe of masked people that had a society bound by an absurd amount of rules. Hmm... I’m sure that’s just a strange coincidence.

The mask and cloak has no tangible benefit in combat, as it turns out. These machines are functionally identical to the ones we’ve already encountered sans clothing. At least they’re better dressed for the desert than our YoRHa operatives.

So earlier, I said we were in more of a connection zone leading to the Desert proper. So... welcome...

...to the actual Desert Zone – the largest area in the game. 9S, I think we’re just a wee bit overdressed for this mission.

Video: Episode 13 Highlight Reel
(If you cannot hear an ear-piercing high pitched sound at the end of this video, congrats! You’re old and your hearing is starting to get hosed!)

Desert Resistance Member Concept Art – I wonder how many android generations back was the one with all Splinter-Cell goggles, cargo pants and cloaks.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 18, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

huh, i was never able to hear it when i was playing or when i was watching people stream but i could hear it clearly in your video

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Dark Id posted:

So that was Jackass. She’s the best android in the game.
Accurate.

The Dark Id posted:

(If you cannot hear an ear-piercing high pitched sound at the end of this video, congrats! You’re old and your hearing is starting to get hosed!)
Don't recall hearing it my first time through but I heard it here. Guess I'm on the borderline.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lets hang out posted:

huh, i was never able to hear it when i was playing or when i was watching people stream but i could hear it clearly in your video

It's the sort of thing that's extremely likely to be altered by compression...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I cant hear poo poo at the end, but I heard a slight screech during the cutscene at 2:29. I find it hard to believe my hearing is hosed at 22 though.

• Locked thread