Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arkanumzilong posted:

Brazil
Automata on steam, last I checked was about 150 bucks (may be confusing it with some other games ive seen recently
Though all AAA games are 100+ with very few exceptions.... bethesda games tend to be 200+)
And ever since ps4 xbone came out, actual official wired 360 controlers became rather hard to find
Bootlegs are all over the place, but originals are rare (last I seen one, w whole year ago, it cost 100-130 bucks)

Eletronics and gaming in brazil are kiiiiind of expensive...
Does x360ce work for you? I use it myself for the two Logitech controllers I have that function a lot like XBox/Playstation devices.

Edit: Update on the previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

FeyerbrandX posted:

When you ride the tiger, you don't get off, you don't stop. No one stops. Even if you think the tiger's been dead for a year or two.
Why did I think of F/SN's Taiga Fujimura?
And why do I suddenly want Yoko Taro to tackle the Nasuverse?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Instant Grat posted:

In case any of y'all are wondering where you've heard 2B's English voice before, here's a hint

"How could I forget my banana"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

I still can't believe this is the same lady from the Trapped games. She has come far from flash games and doing a small role in Castle Crashers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

Keeping that in mind, that was one of the 26 Endings of NieR: Automata. Yeah... there's an ending for every letter of the alphabet this time around. That was Ending W. All but five of them are mostly for loving up badly during the course of the game. We'll be hitting all of 'em as we progress through this title. I'm not even allowed to do the fake everyone dies gag anymore. Yoko Taro stole it all... Jerk. :v:

26 endings? Holy moly :yokotaro:

How are this game sales going? Can we expect further crazy gems from our favorite crazy Emil mask director? I did my part and preordered (Platinum + Yoko Taro) but I won't have time to play it for a couple months probably. Oh well, time to play vicariously until I can play non-vicariously.

The Dark Id posted:

Spoilers: Weapon History stories are back in a big way and they are CONSIDERABLY more hosed than Nier 1 or Drakengard 3. Like I need to keep a murder/suicide/child death counter on that poo poo because DANG.

:allears:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rirse posted:

I still can't believe this is the same lady from the Trapped games. She has come far from flash games and doing a small role in Castle Crashers.

Yeah she pulls a totally solid job in Automata. It's cool as hell to see how far she's come from sticking to her guns and honing her craft.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hard to say sales overall because it's not info that's been released entirely but SteamSpy suggests it broke 200k on PC the other day and I think the JP version did that on its first week of launch in Feb too?

Either way, there's no huge reason to believe this game is a sales flop at all.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

NGDBSS posted:

Does x360ce work for you? I use it myself for the two Logitech controllers I have that function a lot like XBox/Playstation devices.

Edit: Update on the previous page!

its best if we stop derailing the thread really

but as a final answer, sadly not; I tried everything (I do have a spare ps3 controler and an older bootleg one just for pc) nothing at all worked
my pc is sadly really finicky with this stuff

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People are generally really good with using spoiler tags in the NieR thread in games if you want to go there to troubleshoot and get questions answered rather than in here.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hard to say sales overall because it's not info that's been released entirely but SteamSpy suggests it broke 200k on PC the other day and I think the JP version did that on its first week of launch in Feb too?

Either way, there's no huge reason to believe this game is a sales flop at all.

If Wikipedia's numbers are believed, it's the first and only game in the series to sell better than Drakengard 1 upon release. Yoko Taro also recently tweeted out something along the lines of "Nier Automata has managed in a couple of weeks what took 7 years for Nier"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Masochistic Dumbass here, hard mode still gives you the auto item use and big stock of healing so it wasn't really that bad

I'm not sure why you say the robot-mode heavy sword slash doesn't get rid of the dark purple orbs because it totally does. I distinctly remember it being the only way I could easily navigate through the clusterfuck of shots hard mode throws your way.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

darealkooky posted:

Masochistic Dumbass here, hard mode still gives you the auto item use and big stock of healing so it wasn't really that bad

I'm also not sure why you say the robot-mode heavy sword slash doesn't get rid of the dark purple orbs because it totally does. I distinctly remember it being the only way I could easily navigate through the clusterfuck of shots hard mode throws your way.

indeed, its the only way to do most of the shooting sessions on a keyboard

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Oh boy, knowing that the weapon stories are back is just the cherry on the sundae.

Slaughterism. It just rolls off the tongue so well.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015
So, any chance that Kira herself might show up on this thread?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Game has sold like 300k in Japan on ps4 so it's at half a million already with steam.

No other numbers available yet

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Omobono posted:

How are this game sales going? Can we expect further crazy gems from our favorite crazy Emil mask director? I did my part and preordered (Platinum + Yoko Taro) but I won't have time to play it for a couple months probably. Oh well, time to play vicariously until I can play non-vicariously.

I recall reading in an interview from a little while ago Yoko Taro saying that Automata had already broken the lifetime sales of Nier, or like first year of Nier, or something along those lines. Granted that is (unfortunately) not that high a bar to clear but he was certainly happy about it.

Absent solid numbers, however, it's still doing pretty well on the Steam lists, presumably did pretty well on PS4 before that point, and is getting praised everywhere as a critical masterpiece. Considering this game only exists because apparently someone at Square Enix wanted to help Yoko Taro make a game when his past library wasn't exactly filled with blockbusters, the fact that this game is doing so well can only be a good sign.

Who knows maybe in five years we'll all be talking about how sick we are of Yoko Taro titles and how overrated he is. no I will never say that ever

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This was super easy to do since 2B outfit is mostly black, but since it was pointed out she the same lady from the Trapped games..

Rirse fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 30, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yoko Taro will soon be the Dark Souls of video games

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

pulsor93 posted:

So, any chance that Kira herself might show up on this thread?

That'd depend on if she has an account :v:. She and another VA from this game did an AMA on r/nier a while back and they stream the game fairly often too, so it's not like they're not active in the community.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Meiteron posted:

I recall reading in an interview from a little while ago Yoko Taro saying that Automata had already broken the lifetime sales of Nier, or like first year of Nier, or something along those lines. Granted that is (unfortunately) not that high a bar to clear but he was certainly happy about it.

Absent solid numbers, however, it's still doing pretty well on the Steam lists, presumably did pretty well on PS4 before that point, and is getting praised everywhere as a critical masterpiece. Considering this game only exists because apparently someone at Square Enix wanted to help Yoko Taro make a game when his past library wasn't exactly filled with blockbusters, the fact that this game is doing so well can only be a good sign.

Who knows maybe in five years we'll all be talking about how sick we are of Yoko Taro titles and how overrated he is. no I will never say that ever

The story goes he was destined for the Square-Enix mobile game gulag after Drakengard 3 bombed. His friend Yosuke Saito (now the Dragon Quest X producer) threatened to walk if they did him like that and then Platinum rolled in wanting to work with Square-Enix and asked to do a Nier sequel. And he kind of drunkenly woke up one day going "WAIT WHAT?!" to all of that transpiring.

Rirse posted:

This was super easy to do since 2B outfit is mostly black, but since it was pointed out she the same lady from the Trapped games..

Nice.

VVV Ya. That's definitely a confirmed thing. They were offered to make a game for Squeenix and could choose what property they wanted to work with and they immediately went with Nier. I mean Drakengard 3 only happened because Square-Enix's loving president at the time was a weird fan of Yoko Taro and pulled strings to dig some money from a couch to fund that game. Dude apparently gets super drunk and makes a bunch of weird friends in high places. Presumably while still wearing the Emil mask.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

The Dark Id posted:

The story goes he was destined for the Square-Enix mobile game gulag after Drakengard 3 bombed. His friend Yosuke Saito (now the Dragon Quest X producer) threatened to walk if they did him like that and then Platinum rolled in wanting to work with Square-Enix and asked to do a Nier sequel. And he kind of drunkenly woke up one day going "WAIT WHAT?!" to all of that transpiring.

Nice.

Yo wait hang on hold up

Am I reading this correctly? Platinum Games came to Square Enix and asked to do a sequel to Nier? I mean like it was Platinum's idea in the first place? Oh my god I don't even know what to say I didn't think the world worked like that at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think Square wanted Platinum to do a game, and Platinum were massive fans of NieR and someone at P* already planned out how they'd do a theoretical NieR sequel.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Platinum are massive fans of NieR from a gamedev standpoint of how much it messes with the player and I believe they already had a "pick your IP" contract with S-E on a game.

It was inevitable, really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a bit different but the specifics aren't massively transformative.
Platinum wanted to do a NieR 1 port to Vita because a lot of them loved NieR.
Yosuke Saito wanted to work with Yoko Taro or he'd quit S-E.
Yoko Taro was probably drunk as a skunk doing something somewhere.
Square-Enix wanted to work with Platinum.

When all the players came together, S-E said "We should just make a real sequel instead of a Vita port".
It's a real great story of the perfect players all coming together at the right time in the right circumstances coincidentally.

And then apparently Saito/Taro/Taura sheepishly asked Akihiko Yoshida if they'd do some character designs and he jumped at the chance and knocked up the three character designs you're probably thinking of and I think Taro said at PAX that the first draft of them is what they went with.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I was watching Chip & friends stream the Sony E3 pressed when this game was first teased and the reactions were something to behold.

I'm real glad TD is doing this LP - I don't have time for video games anymore and my favorite LPer (and LPs are the reason I'm still on SA really) doing a game I can't is great.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Meiteron posted:

taro will be the new suda51 in the sense that square enix or whatever other company will advertise games using his name when all he did was have lunch with the development team once

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yoko Taro is still slated for a mobile game, it's his choice for doing it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The light attack in the twin stick shooter segments does indeed destroy the dark purple orbs. Sorry.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Doing the prologue on hard is indeed a bad decision even if you played through the game already. The enemies are faster/more responsive, and they get an evade skill that gives them iframes. It also feels like you lose a bit of iframes in your dodge move as well, but it could just be me mis-timing everything in the beginning. I ended up dying to the first wave of guys 3 times before I got the timing down, then twice more before I finished the prologue.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 30, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nice to see this LP.

My headcanon with this game is that Taro basically set out to make the dumb robot anime Undertale joked about in its various asides.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Meiteron posted:

It was something like Automata sold more in two weeks/a month than what Nier sold in seven years.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"I'll be shocked if Zelda doesn't win GOTY this year." - Me before this game.

"I'll still be shocked if Zelda doesn't win but NieR really deserves it and nothing this year will beat it." - Me after this game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Meiteron posted:

Yo wait hang on hold up

Am I reading this correctly? Platinum Games came to Square Enix and asked to do a sequel to Nier? I mean like it was Platinum's idea in the first place? Oh my god I don't even know what to say I didn't think the world worked like that at all.

Imagine you're a developer who is loving great at creating action games. It is your forte and you know it. Square Enix lets you pick the title of your choice to make a sequel. One of the choices would cause you to get to work with Yoko Taro. the other options do not.

There is only one answer here, man!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Imagine you're a developer who is loving great at creating action games. It is your forte and you know it. Square Enix lets you pick the title of your choice to make a sequel. One of the choices would cause you to get to work with Yoko Taro. the other options do not.

There is only one answer here, man!

But if you work with Yoko taro, he will end up drinking more, potentially shortening his life expectancy.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Thisuck posted:

It also feels like you lose a bit of iframes in your dodge move as well, but it could just be me mis-timing everything in the beginning. I ended up dying to the first wave of guys 3 times before I got the timing down, then twice more before I finished the prologue.

I could literally mash dodge near enemies and avoid stuff without issue

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Waiting to pull the trigger on this one for a while, weren't you, Id.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

darealkooky posted:

I could literally mash dodge near enemies and avoid stuff without issue

You can, and the only time this isn't true if you're being combod staggered by specific enemies, which you can still counter in another way.

You'll get hit still if you badly mistime a dodge though but it's pretty hard to do

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
Ah, Pod. Surprisingly one of my favorite characters, despite being the whole 'I am your robot companion' shtick. I won't go into specifics, but I've realized that the Pod is like if Fi from Skyward Sword was written well as a character. Can't wait to see where this train takes us, even after having beaten the game.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

OmegaCake posted:

Ah, Pod. Surprisingly one of my favorite characters, despite being the whole 'I am your robot companion' shtick. I won't go into specifics, but I've realized that the Pod is like if Fi from Skyward Sword was written well as a character. Can't wait to see where this train takes us, even after having beaten the game.

The Pod being voiced by D.C. Douglas certainly doesn't hurt.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

warhammer651 posted:

But if you work with Yoko taro, he will end up drinking more, potentially shortening his life expectancy.

I'm sure it is what he would want anyway.

Also as a bonus you get to film, and publish, a clip of Yoko rolling around on the floor while yelling obscenities about Square Enix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

I'm sure it is what he would want anyway.

Also as a bonus you get to film, and publish, a clip of Yoko rolling around on the floor while yelling obscenities about Square Enix!

The reason he was cursing was because that was the fourth take of the commercial, which makes me wonder what the other three takes were like.

• Locked thread