Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

The reason he was cursing was because that was the fourth take of the commercial, which makes me wonder what the other three takes were like.

https://twitter.com/NeilGortz/status/833651803334000641

Unmute video, ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
people talk about the poo poo square enix line but every single time that commercial comes up I can't stop laughing at the combat music coming in as Yoko grabs the guy's shirt and starts trying to tear it off of him

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Oh gently caress yes, so glad to see this is happening. I just finished everything with this game, so imagine how happy I am to see I get to relive it through TDI. Thank you for getting me into the madness of Yoko Taro way back with your Drakengard LP, being able to experience the insanity of this series has been a hell of a ride. The fact that this game is a legitimately good game on top of being a worthy successor to Nier's story is amazing.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Any posts of Yoko Taro being an amazing weirdo is approved for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

Also there will be another update later tonight.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 30, 2017

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The best thing about all of these quick shifts in shooter mode is that for the most part, they're not very jarring transitions and flow naturally into each other. The point where TDI died in the first highlight video might actually be the worst transition I can think of in the entire game though.

Based on watching the second video, I think TDI made a cut there, because before that jump there weren't bullets anywhere near him.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

The Dark Id posted:

Any posts of Yoko Taro being an amazing weirdo is approved for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

Also there will be another update later tonight.

This is how he plugs a game for Atlas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LT62mVaIpA

I'd pay good money for a school life Nier/Drakengard game though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yoko Taro why are you such a fascinating yet self-depricating dude.

Also hooray for an Automata LP!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Thisuck posted:

I'd pay good money for another platinum+yoko team up no matter what they settle on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Based on watching the second video, I think TDI made a cut there, because before that jump there weren't bullets anywhere near him.

Possibly there was, but I was speaking from experience.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

:hellyeah: I think that's almost an unspoken consensus at this point.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 30, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Welcome to lovin' this poo poo world

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"I'll be shocked if Zelda doesn't win GOTY this year." - Me before this game.

"I'll still be shocked if Zelda doesn't win but NieR really deserves it and nothing this year will beat it." - Me after this game.

pretty much this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This is going to be a fun, robot-filled ride to find the mythical happy ending of a Yoko Taro game.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 31, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

This is going to be a fun, robot-filled ride to find the mythical happy ending of a Yoko Taro game.

No spoilers please, even if you're trying to fake us out with the happy ending thing

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

No spoilers please, even if you're trying to fake us out with the happy ending thing

Yoko Taro said Automata would have a happy ending.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

jaclynhyde posted:

And it did!

The Dark Id posted:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The shooter perspective shifts make think of Philsoma for some reason. There are probably more appropriate games but I played this one a bunch as a little kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VApOGLjX9fY

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
http://steamspy.com/app/524220

Guess what broke 200k on steamspy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jaclynhyde posted:

And then the interviewer nervously said that a happy ending for Yoko Taro wasn't exactly a happy ending and he just laughed and laughed and laughed, and he still laughs to this day

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Didn't he say something similar about Drakengard 3. I guess that kinda had a happy ending.

Everyone died or turned into birds but hey, at least the world was saved, right? :shepface:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
There are days I would not mind being a bird.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
I never want to get off Yoko Taro's Wild Ride, I'm so stoked for this LP.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Can I put forward "Welcome to poo poo World" as a new thread title

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't he say something similar about Drakengard 3. I guess that kinda had a happy ending.

Everyone died or turned into birds but hey, at least the world was saved, right? :shepface:

I mean, in fairness, our protagonist achieved her goal and that's probably one of the happiest endings you could ever get in a Yoko Taro game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HenryEx posted:

I didn't spoil anything, I'm just mentioning what he said. I haven't even finished the game yet so I couldn't spoil if I wanted to.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Kavak posted:

The shooter perspective shifts make think of Philsoma for some reason. There are probably more appropriate games but I played this one a bunch as a little kid.

I thought the same thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CrashScreen posted:

I mean, in fairness, our protagonist achieved her goal and that's probably one of the happiest endings you could ever get in a Yoko Taro game.

This is verbatim how Yoko Taro has described what he feels a "happy ending" is.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
There are arguments to be made that both NieR and Drakengard 3 have happy endings. Not conventionally so, but still happy. One argument Taro made for NieR was that the important thing wasn't that everyone was happy, or even alive, but that in the end everyone reached some degree of salvation.

I actually used that line (attributed, of course) in a university essay about Graham Greene's The End of the Affair, and somehow didn't lose marks for getting my ideas about literature from obscure video games. :v:

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Also fun:

The english VA of a character we will meet next update regularly streams this game and has been reading all the minor voice lines he didn't get to do in character as well as a lot of the text logs. It's quite nice.

https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

Obviously spoilers for watching ANY of this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
And the award for quickest spoiler despite the request against goes to....

The idiot above me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Dark Id posted:

:siren: :frogsiren: THIS GAME HAS BEEN OUT FOR LESS THAN A MONTH IN NORTH AMERICA! NO SPOILERS! NOT IN TAGS! NOT ANYWHERE! :siren: :frogsiren:

To be honest I'm amazed we made it to page five

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

GeneX posted:

And the award for quickest spoiler despite the request against goes to....

The idiot above me

Its not a spoiler, it's a link to the twitch.tv page of the VA he's talking about. Don't know why he put it in tags, really.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

TooManyUzukis posted:

Its not a spoiler, it's a link to the twitch.tv page of the VA he's talking about. Don't know why he put it in tags, really.

Because if you click that link you will be spoiled several hours all the way up to the ending.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
This game was a hell of a thing.

I have to ask, is this going to be a 100% of everything run? This is, after all, a Yoko Taro game, so doing so is sure to be an exercise in masochism.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode II: Marx

Music: Alien Manifestation

Welcome to NieR: Automata’s primary gameplay: melee combat! And its primary enemies: dopey wind-up figurine little dudes. They can walk but they move at roughly half a mile per hour. So their primary means of movement is bunny hopping towards 2B.

Combat in this game is definitely worlds better than the original game. But it’s also very much not a technical skilled based character action game. We’ve got light and heavy attacks. Light attacks are quick and combo longer.

Heavy attacks hit harder and slower. 2B initially is equipped with a normal sized katana type sword and big gently caress-off Sephiroth sword for light and heavy attacks respectively.

That is not at all how the weapon system works. Indeed, we can swap our weapons at any time (by pressing up on the d-pad) to make the big sword do the light (still harder hitting and lower speed, but wide radius) and small sword to heavy (now big flourish and far traveling attacks.) There’s combos and such depending on when heavy or light attack is triggered when mashing attacks but it’s not particularly deep.

Well animated as hell though. You should watch the video of combat at the end!

Enemies, on the other hand, are VERY forward about telegraphing their attacks by flashing their eyes red before striking. For these basic boys, that means literally doing a derpy windmill arms advance in 2B’s direction. They’re trying REAL hard, OK?

They also blow up *really* well. I hope you enjoy explosions. Literally 95% of the enemies in the game explode in a spectacular fashion.

2B is also a very mobile lass. She’s got a good eight foot vertical jump. Not that jumping is often a factor in combat. That’s more for the side-scrolling platformer segments. Err... heck. I’m getting ahead of myself.

As soon as we take out the first set of robots, a new set drops from the ceiling. These ones are equipped with turrets. They shoot out damaging orbs. 2B can slash these orbs out of the air with her sword. If you thought the weird 3rd person character action bullet hell aesthetic was a budget limitation of the original game, I’ve got some bad news for you. That’s just Yoko Taro’s jam.

This time around, we’ve got a rather powerful counter to that. We’re so far in the future that the world has gotten over that whole magic thing the first game had going. It’s all just cutting edge technology these days. Such as Pod 042 and its infinite ammo machine gun. Holding R1/RB will cause our sidekick to fire light damaging attacks infinitely at either our locked on target or whatever we’re facing. This in no way interrupts 2B’s melee attacks.

Pod 042 has no cooldown or ammo limit. There is absolutely no reason to not be dumping at all times. Targeting is disabled in Hard Mode, which is another factor as to why it’s garbage to start on.) On the other hand, on Easy it’s possible to make our Pod automatically dump on the nearest target at all times.

In any case, as soon as those first boys are scrapped, a new chufty boy enters the ring to take on 2B. This one definitely got the upgraded tier of robot design.

Much like his predecessors, this big boy telegraphs his attacks with a flash of its eyes. In this case, it’s either a big downward stomp or a Falcon Punch. Now is as good a time as any to show off the most broken ability in this game:

Perfect dodging. 2B is mobile as hell and has a dash in any direction by mashing R2/RT. It alone is lousy with i-frames mid-dash. But if we wait until just as an enemy is attacking, she will do a Perfect Evade of which entirely evades the attack. This completely renders the attack non-functional, moves her out of the way, and allows a counter-attack depending on the button pressed and weapon. If you’ve ever played Bayonetta, it’s similar to Witch Time just without the time slow down after dodging we can equip an upgrade that just does just that and LITERALLY turns it into Witch Time.

As I said, counters depend on the attack pressed after perfect-evading and is weapon dependent. On our default load-out Light Attack will counter with an upward slash that can juggle lesser enemies in air (those little dudes from earlier are susceptible to that business, not this large child.)

What I feel is personally the best counter is using the Pod’s shot, which converts it into an AOE charged shot that will absolutely wreck and stun most common enemies. It’s by far the most reliable of the lot and is frankly, to use technical terminology, “loving rad”.

Eventually, 2B manages to body this chump and clear the arena of enemies. Job well done.

Not quite.

New Music: Song of the Ancients ~ Atonement
(You should listen to this whole OST.)

Did anyone order a 30 foot buzz saw mid-boss? No? Tough poo poo! This is now happening!

Meet the first boss of the game: [REDACTED]. 2B is not able to decipher the machine language, so we just get [ANGELIC TEXT] runes as a boss name.

Spoilers: This eventually changes in the second playthrough. But it’s not like NIER’s second playthrough where suddenly Tyrann was a party member translating the Shades’ language and revealing we’re being kind of a huge dick. It’s just boss names having a naming theme of philosophers. In this case Marx. As in Karl Marx.

Now, this game will have some deep philosophical questions on the nature of what it means to be alive and what is a soul and what not. But the boss names? The machines just did that for funsies. So I don’t care about spoiling that one early.

Negative. This enemy is unrelated. Proposal: Dispatch it swiftly as possible.
You don’t say.

It’s time to fight a giant buzzsaw named after an 18th century Prussian philosopher. Sure, why not?

Marx’s greatest weapon is perhaps the camera. It will sheer its buzzsaw across the arena, but any dodging remotely in its range will negate its attack and it leaves itself open for a counter-attack.

There’s not a whole lot to be said about this encounter. A two story buzzsaw fails to flail in the direction of a very athletic lady. Evading in the same tri-state as this mid-boss will perfect dodge any damage and everything from Pod gunfire to all melee attacks will ruin its day.

Laser communications recovered.
2B... transmitting...*static* Pod prog...*static*

We’ve got to hold about a thirty seconds before our “Pod Program” is installed. The Pod Program is short for this game’s analogue for magic attacks.

In this case, how’d you like a giant gently caress-off laser beam attack from the err... Laser attack. There’s no MP in NieR: Automata. All magic Pod Programs are just on a cooldown timer. Initially, our default Pod Program has about a ten second cooldown before it can blast an enemy for 300+ HP of damage. There is absolutely no reason to fail spamming Pod Programs as soon as they’re available or downside to such an assault.

Marx isn’t a particularly difficult encounter. But 2B is part of a party that got nearly entirely annihilated by stationary beam cannons. So that isn’t counting for much yet...

Proposal: loving DODGE 2B! Don’t be like whatsherface at the end of Prometheus.

Nice. There you go. You’re already up the protagonist ladder.

Psst. 2B is totally wearing her blindfold in the same way as Papa Nier's eyepatch.

And hey totally not Emil Blindfold cosplay boy...

Says the dingus in the blindfold. Huh...? What do you mean they’re actually super advanced android goggles? That’s dumb... You’re dumb. Err... Wait... androids? Wait... everyone is an android...? Huh?

Video: Episode 2 Highlight Reel

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

We already got bullet hell and action beat em' up.

How long until the rhythm section shows up?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The YorHa androids took eyewear tips from MGR's Raiden but (un)wisely eschewed the sombreros.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
I love those little hoppy robots. Forget 2B, I'd like one or two of them on my desk.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

Whamukars fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can always count on Platinum animations to be completely impractical and completely cool.

• Locked thread