Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Something I like to say about this game regarding us calling the enemies "machines" when technically everyone's a machine. Think of it like how humans use the word "beast" to describe some mindless animal, despite that we are technically animal life forms. The robots look like primitive wind-up toys trying to kill you, while the androids, particularly the YoRHa androids, look much more sophisticated. They have superior weaponry and tech. The only reason the robots haven't been wiped out is they seem to outnumber the androids a thousand to one, even though they get torn apart easily.

The machines talking is also apparently some new development; if it ever happened in the past, it's been a while since it's happened. (Didn't Beepy talk?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

a kitten posted:

Close enough?

Alas, i don't know where they came from.

This looks like modded Android mascot toy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Speedball posted:

Something I like to say about this game regarding us calling the enemies "machines" when technically everyone's a machine. Think of it like how humans use the word "beast" to describe some mindless animal, despite that we are technically animal life forms. The robots look like primitive wind-up toys trying to kill you, while the androids, particularly the YoRHa androids, look much more sophisticated. They have superior weaponry and tech. The only reason the robots haven't been wiped out is they seem to outnumber the androids a thousand to one, even though they get torn apart easily.

The machines talking is also apparently some new development; if it ever happened in the past, it's been a while since it's happened. (Didn't Beepy talk?)

This really struck me when 9S says this on first seeing Adam: "An android? No, it's a machine!" Android is the perfect word for what Adam is: a humanoid robot. Heck, even the stubbies are androids, really. But they're not ~our~ kind of android, so they get called machines instead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

MiddleOne posted:

Hey, if the Gelato guy didn't want us to kill him then maybe he shouldn't have gone for the scoop. :colbert:

I was thinking of Sean Darcy, who's just sort of a whiny dork, but not objectively evil like some of the other people you can choose to leave alive. :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

megane posted:

This really struck me when 9S says this on first seeing Adam: "An android? No, it's a machine!" Android is the perfect word for what Adam is: a humanoid robot. Heck, even the stubbies are androids, really. But they're not ~our~ kind of android, so they get called machines instead.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure if Adam even is a machine or android, honestly. He seemed significantly more bleed-y than anything else we've seen so far.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XVIII: Carnival Night Zone

...9S, are you seeing this poo poo? What the fresh gently caress is all this?! Didn’t we just get back from fighting a teleporting machine built Ken Doll? How are we already at something even weirder? YoRHa better be paying us overtime for this.

New Music: Amusement Park (Vocal)
(Listen to this immediately.)

What are those?
Oh, wHat fUN! Oh, whaT FUn!
What the...
Well, this is weird.
LeT’s bE haPPy toGETHer! TOgetHer! ToGethER!

Right... this is happening now. None of these machines, who are in full clown and jester costumes, complete with face paint, are remotely hostile. The small ones are content with frolicking about the square throwing handfuls of confetti or using their mega buster attachment to shoot festive balloons into the sky. You can attack them and they will go hostile and defend themselves. But that seems like a huge dick move! If you are ever watching someone stream this or something and they immediately attack every machine in the area, slam that tab closed because you’re watching a real dipshit!

The machines have also installed a bronze bunny-eared statue in a still functional fountain. I suppose crafting statues isn’t too far out of the machines’ ability set considering they’re fabricating thousands of barely mobile robot bodies every day. Still, this seems excessive.

Any of the machines that aren’t participating actively in the festivities are all willing to speak with the androids. Err... I’m good, Big Brother Machine. I saw what you guys and love produ—

Oh. You’re just giving gifts. Well, that’s nice of you. I’m gonna sell it immediately, since it is vendor trash. But hey. It’s a start to positive android/machine relations.

The road towards the castle, and presumably our objective, is also filled with a parade of clown machines with an infinite supply of confetti on hand. Maybe this is the ultimate goal of the aliens. Converting earth to a giant tacky amusement park. It’s actually the intergalactic version of the Disney corporation using eminent
domain laws on backwater planets and things going awry.

Jutting off from the center of the main pavilion are two back alley paths. The one to the north is currently closed over to android access. But the eastern one is open for business. We’ll keep that in mind as we explore.

We also got some more prizes for being the Amusement Park’s very first customers. :toot:

New Music: Amusement Park (Medium)

Watch this game turn out to be a backdoor sequel to Kingdom Hearts. All these machines are some fifteenth offshoot of Heartless. Adam was just another goddamn incarnation of Ansem. 9S is actually Sora’s shadow or some poo poo. I’m gonna be so pissed!

Together! Together!
(Child) Oh, what fun! Oh, what fun!
(Mother) Throw down your weapons! Surrender to love! Hey! Hey!

Uh huh... Machines labeling themselves with established familial roles is... probably still just meaningless babble from old records, right? Let’s see about getting to that castle.

Maybe there’s another way around.

Alright, no dice going through the main gate and smashing through an iron barrier is absolutely out of the question. YoRHa command already sent us a reprimand for damaging so much infrastructure back at the Abandoned Factory. So we’ll just have to navigate our way through back channels.

New Music: Amusement Park (Quiet)

Such as this creepy alley. The music in this area fades between the different layers depending on the location really well. Go just off the main festivities path and suddenly everything seems extremely menacing. But that’s not actually the case here. The couple robots here are still friendly, if significantly more shady than the ones out in the lit areas.

For instance, we find a merchant machine hanging out here. If all these items seem rather odd, that’s because this fellow sells assorted weapon upgrade material. His stock will upgrade as the game progresses. NieR: Automata is actually extremely forgiving with weapon upgrade materials, especially compared to its predecessor. There are vendors for literally everything needed to upgrade each weapon to Level 4. Granted, some of the vendors are... difficult to wrangle the desired merchandise. But still, it’s better than grinding Eagle Eggs in a single spot for two hours straight.

Also in a secluded corner of this back alley, we can find a Lunar Tear – a rather important flower from the original Nier. And the source of a huge headache if you were going for all the cheevos in the game. There’s nothing to be done with it at the moment. But it’s nice to see they’re still around some 10,000 years later.

Nothing here, you know.

Yeah, that’s not suspicious at all, clown. Step out of the way. YoRHa investigation team is on the case!

Alright, I’m calling bullshit. There is zero way one of those spinning rocket amusement rides lasted this long. Those at all times seemed like they were moments away from an errant bolt on a key structural point shattering and killing everyone on the ride.

We need a way through.
Let’s look around for a route we can take.

We’ll get to that in a moment. First, let’s activate the only Save Terminal in the region and get the lay of the land. Looks like if we continue down the one path ahead of us, we’ll get fairly close to the castle. Well, that works out! Better check our email before we go. I’m pretty sure I saw a notification. It could be important.

Of all of humanity’s many accomplishments over the eons, I’m glad our robot children inherited the blessing of emoticons.

The solution to advancing further ahead is a light bit of platforming across the (surprisingly intact and able to sustain the weight of 300 pound androids) amusement ride cars to reach a further gated off area.

Boy, the south side of the Magic Kingdom has fallen on some hard times after that last recession. At this rate, I feel like we’re going to turn down an alley and find a dead Goofy with a needle in his arm or a rusting animatronic Donald Duck willing to do some debauchery for just 100G.

Junk! Danger!

Yeah, pfft. Broken junk. What’s new? When’s the last time you saw anything that was in good condition on Earth? I mean... other than the pristine looking castle with a fully functional fireworks display...

Let’s play! Let’s play!

Let’s sing! Let’s sing!
Let’s play! Let’s play!

Hell yeah. The Party Tank is here! This poo poo is on now! That isn’t tank exhaust coming out of that thing. The machines are hotboxing the inside of that tank. They know how to have a good time. C’mon 9S. Let’s get in on that action. Time to get 2Baked.

As a side note: The Party Tank may be all about partying and fun times. But it DOES have a responsible designated driver who uses proper breaking and turn signals while while harmlessly driving around the lot having a good time.

We’ll regret it later if we let them escape, so let’s take ‘em out!

9S... you square, bitch-made narc motherfucker. I cannot believe you’d propose attacking the Party Tank. Yeah, they’re heavily armed... with festivity and joy. They retrofitted their cannons with party streamers, confetti and balloons. I don’t even think that’s physically possible, but they’ve engineered that feat on top of just blowing pot vapors into the air for our benefit. And you just want to let out your latent machine racism and attack them without provocation. I knew an idiot baby dragon once that was a lot like you just with wyverns...

No, 9S! We’re leaving now. When you’re in charge, you can be a dick and attack the Party Tank. But you’re not, so shut up and c’mon! Now nobody gets to party with the machines...

If they aren’t hostile, fighting them is a waste of time.

In case you’re wondering, yes can absolutely go fight the Party Tank and it’s a mildly challenging mini-boss. It has a guaranteed drop of the most valuable vendor trash in the game. But don’t worry. There will be other tanks that won’t make us feel like a huge tool for attacking. Now let’s continue on to this err...

Analysis: It is a device that propels humans on rails at high speeds for the purposes of amusement. It was commonly referred to as a “roller coaster.”
Humans sure are strange creatures...

Alright then! Let’s hop on board and go for a joy ride. Err... No, 2B... 9S... You’re supposed to climb into those seats there and hold onto the safety bar. That’s not how you... Oh... forget it. You do you. Don’t listen to the human and his safety tips.

Music: Amusement Park (Vocal)

Yes?
People who know me well usually call me “Nines,” sooo...
Oh.

Of?
I mean, if you want to call me Nines, it’s totally okay.
I’m good.
Oh. Um... all right.

Shut up, 9S. You giant dork. I know drat well you don’t have any other friends and nobody calls you Nines. Stop trying to start a nickname or else your designation is going to become 9Steve. Is that what you want, 9Steve? No? I didn’t think so. Now get your poo poo together and help shoot some robots.

They did mention the robots past this point were broken, hence why we’re suddenly being attacked by clown bots and some decidedly less dressed up machine lifeforms while this coaster careens around the park. Thank goodness this doesn’t feature any loops. It wouldn’t look good on our androids' after action report if they both died due to car surfing a roller coaster and falling to their deaths.

Eventually the roller coaster reaches a point over our destination at the castle and the two androids opt to disembark. Hopefully this is the right spot and not some locked storage attic.

Music: ENDS

Well, you heard the Pod. The MIA Resistance member androids are all gathered beneath here. Maybe it’ll turn out OK and they all just decided to hang out and party with the machines. They’re all taking turns doing bong rips off a Stubby right now.

I like to think YoRHa are programmed to automatically smash through objects and enter superhero crouch poses. That sounds like some dumb thing a human programmer nerd would sneak into their algorithms.

Sooooo... Pod 042... Not seeing any androids here. What’s the de—

...Oh. Found ‘em.

Err... Hi. Umm... Nice uhh... jewelry you got there... So umm...

LAAAAAA!

LAAAAAAAAAAA!!

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

...What the hell?!

Video: Episode 18 Highlight Reel
(Probably worth watching.)

Amusement Park Concept Art – Unfortunately, we never get to mess with that Ferris Wheel in the background of the area.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
LA LA LA the machines, they dance

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hemingway To Go! posted:

LA LA LA the machines, they dance

Not again...Someone thaw Caim out of cryofreeze.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

The androids would like to ride amusement ride correct way.
But sadly, the broken bits of concrete got all seating tickets already.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh wow, I had no idea you could choose to not fight the party tank.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

This is my favorite area BGM track in the whole game, do listen immediately.

There's a couple one-off songs that are even better, but in terms of ambiance this is your top tier.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I totally attacked these guys.

You can't trust clowns.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
FINALLY, here's the rhythm battle we've been waiting for!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
some of those would scare the bejeezus out of me if I saw them in real life

Not party tank tho, that thing is rad

also awesome music as usual

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Pretty sure i've never killed the gelato guy

This is a safe space.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fat lady sang, it's over folks.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, 9S is such a goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
While he's objectively wrong about the party tank, I still think 9S is cool and I will not stand for all this poo poo-talking him. <:mad:>

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KamikazePotato posted:

This describes my situation too well.

Wasn't "the only way Yoko Taro can troll us at this point is by making an amazing game" a recurring joke in previous topics? Granted a lot of people loved Nier (myself included) but you couldn't recommend it without some caveats.

Eh, NieR Automata is still a game I'd only recommend with some caveats. It's one of the weaker Platinum games, gameplay wise.

Speedball posted:

Truly the androids are a worthy successor to humanity because they've attained our greatest creation: Classism. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 26, 2017

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Wait, the party tank ISN'T hostile? You can really just skip fighting it altogether???

Well. Don't I feel like a big jerk :smith:

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

havenwaters posted:

Not again...Someone thaw Caim out of cryofreeze.

Angelus also needs to be, I dunno, necromanced or cloned back into being for the sake of providing air support. Can't have one without the other.

e:

McDragon posted:

Clown Machine knows what's up though, Party Tank is bad news. Not even in a "oh no the robots are attacking" way, but a "oh no how do you drive this sort of thing" sort of way. All fun and games until someone loses a sight receptor.

:ohdear: At...at least they can replace things like that...right?

Skylight fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 26, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cuntellectual posted:

Eh, NieR Automata is still a game I'd only recommend with some caveats. It's one of the weaker Platinum games, gameplay wise.

As decentish as Transformers was I'd still say this is like their best game since Bayo 2. The combat is by no means lacking in variety and you can do some crazy stuff. It's just designed to be more accessible.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Zomborgon posted:

There's a couple one-off songs that are even better, but in terms of ambiance this is your top tier.

Yeah, really. The Amusement Park zone has the best regular area music in the game, imo. There a ton of really drat good music in this game, but the Amusement Park is just so fantastic.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, was reading this update and the music just arrived in my head on its own. Was there for a while until I noticed it actually. It's a good track. I did a lot of wandering around this area. The machines are cool though, should at least give each new group a chance to say hi before getting violent. It just never occurred to me to start anything with the Park machines and they never laughed at my inept platforming round the rooftops. Didn't spot my favourite park machine in the update although I'm not entirely sure if its now or later you can see him.

Clown Machine knows what's up though, Party Tank is bad news. Not even in a "oh no the robots are attacking" way, but a "oh no how do you drive this sort of thing" sort of way. All fun and games until someone loses a sight receptor.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 26, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

gently caress I murdered the party tank as well I feel so awful now.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Cuntellectual posted:

Guess you're forgetting The Legend of Korra, Transformers, TMNT, Star Fox Zero, MadWorld and Anarchy Reigns all being mediocre to actively bad action games. And let's be real, Wonderful 101 was an inaccessible mess to actually play. Which nobody did. :v:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Zomborgon posted:

I have a serious problem with this BGM. Specifically, it only really plays in a small part of the amusement park. It doesn't play by that gate and it doesn't play in he machine break area or near the rocket spinner (or rather, its quiet and vocal less).

On the bright side, it's on the OST in all it's full glory. Yay!

Oh and speaking of that rocket spinner, at the top of it it looks like there's a chest but you can't jump off the 2d plane to get to it. It's annoying.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear from the update, the roller coaster has no physics effects at all. Going up, going down, 2B doesn't care at all and will jump relative to the coaster.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Not even blinked an eyelash at a second duplicate Ken doll being born from the mortal wound of the first, eh? Silent Hill has informed your psyche to distrust amusement parks it seems. :v:
I was thinking it was his next phase.

Granted the bossfight had many different phases as he unlocked new abilities from the skill tree after power levelling by being beaten up, but hey.

You know, some sort of dick move like "and now he refills his hp bear and uses all his moves". And then after you defeat #2, #3 spawns and 9S screams "this cannot continue!"

And then a black box explosion ending.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Alavaria posted:

And then a black box explosion ending.

I would 100% be down for every boss fight ending in the protagonists nuking themselves, much to the Commander's growing irritation.

"2B that's the sixth body you've gone through this week, you're literally destroying our budget single-handedly."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I killed the machines in the first area and party tank.

If it didn't want to die it shouldn't drop a machine core early in the game when you can really use the cash. :colbert:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I think this calls for all the Drakenier protagonists (except Nowe) having some fun on the party tank.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

HR12345 posted:

I think this calls for all the Drakenier protagonists (except Nowe) having some fun on the party tank.
Nowe managed to get run over by the party tank.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I ran into the Amusement Park guns blazing because the festivities were creeping me out. I'd murdered half of everything there until I realized they weren't hitting back unless I hit first. Felt like an rear end in a top hat!

Then I went and fought the Party Tank because I believed that one rear end in a top hat machine about it being dangerous. I blame that one on him.

Cuntellectual posted:

It's the Platinum game I would mostly likely recommend to random people, honestly. Most Platinum game combat is really inaccessible. Nier's isn't deep but it's smooth, accessible, and shiny.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I didn't kill Party Tank but entering this area is when I learned that setting 9S to anything but Neutral or Passive is a really really bad idea because he flipped the gently caress out and attacked everything around the statue as soon as we entered :cry: I'm sorry! I just wanted to join the party! You sit outside and think about what you've done you, 9S, you horrible little racist.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Party Tank Best Tank!

Also poor Resistance members. They had to listen to so much Bad Opera at once their android skin was blown off by the improbably high-frequency opera vibes!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Qrr posted:

Oh and speaking of that rocket spinner, at the top of it it looks like there's a chest but you can't jump off the 2d plane to get to it. It's annoying.

There's a platform underneath that you can use to jump up to it if you run around the back of the ride on the ground instead :ssh:

Also everyone who killed the party tank is a monster.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There's a platform underneath that you can use to jump up to it if you run around the back of the ride on the ground instead :ssh:

Also everyone who killed the party tank is a monster.

As far as I can recall, the restriction to the 2D plane is lifted at that spot, though it may be that you need to jump to do so.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I'm glad that this LP has finally exposed which of us are the true monsters.

Never destroy the party tank. It only wants to party.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

It may not be the pinnacle of Platinum action, but that's not really a caveat. That's like saying, "Well, this steak is really great, but it's not the best steak I've ever had in my life, so I don't know if I can recommend it."

Besides, it's not a bad Platinum game, unless your standards are ridiculously exacting. It doesn't have the depth of their more focused action games, but that's probably because it's a wider game than most of their previous games. From what I've seen of Bayonetta, W101, and Revengeance, they really seem like very linear games. The point is to play through each level over and over, learning the systems to a more and more focused detail, and striving for the highest rank. That's not what Automata is, though. It's much more of a story-focused game, with the gameplay being a vehicle to get you from story point to story point. It's a nice vehicle - a nice Porsche or a Ferrari - but it's still "just" the method of getting to the important points.

If you approach it like a classic Platinum Character Action game, you'll be slightly disappointed. If you approach it like a standard Action-RPG, you'll be more than happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
If Party Tank didn't want me to viciously murder it it shouldn't of had a Machine Core as a guaranteed drop.

Rules of Nature. :colbert:

• Locked thread