Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Proposal: Voice Actor Trivia

Since I'm slow with catching up, let's start with Adam: his Japanese voice, Namikawa Daisuke, has a pretty long resumé, including (in)famous roles like every grown-up Italy in Hetalia, Oikawa in Haikyuu!!, Kazehaya Shouta in Kimi ni Todoke and Goemon in the 2015 and beyond series of Lupin III. Also Pig God in One-Punch Man and Yuu Narukami or whatever you name the protagonist of Persona 4. Most of his roles are the loveable jerk or airheads, making him a pretty popular voice in shows and games targeted toward a female demographic.

Greg Chun seems to have on his CV roles like Dr. Harold Winston from Overwatch and Additional Characters to go around.

Everyone loves Pascal! And-

Josuke Higashikata posted:

His Japanese voice actor is Aoi Yuki too, which is the best thing. She said recently actually that she's finished this game three times since it came out in February in Japan...

...yes. Aoi Yuki has some pretty prominent roles, such as Madoka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Iris in Pokemon Adventures: Best Wishes!, Maya Fey in the anime version of Ace Attorney and Asui Tsuyui (frog girl) in Boku no Hero Academia. In video games you'll find Platinum the Trinity (BlazBlue), Natalia (Resident Evil: Revelations 2) and Futaba (Persona 5). She's a pretty recognizable voice in the industry.

Alexis Tipton, from the English Pascal casting, has a ton of anime roles and among them Platinum the Trinity, just like Aoi Yuki! She also shares with Yuki the role of Lotta in ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.. Tipton's latest dubwork seems to be on Yuri on Ice!!! and Yurikuma Arashi.

In slightly more personal news, I found out the other day that a former classmate and neighbor of mine absolutely loved Nier: Automata despite not having a clue what Platinum Games means in the gaming industry and basing his opinion on Yoko Taro solely on interview clips he found on Youtube. After some enlightening from me he's decided to personally play through all Drakengards and Nier, once he's done with his Hard run of Automata and getting all the weapon stories. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

McFetusBurger posted:

Nobody but 2B seems to take that rule seriously anyway.

Edited because I wasn't really responding to the statement, just the "emotions are prohibited" rule. If anything makes this game come across as human and realistic it's the corporate feel of the android faction in it.

I never got the impression that it was an actual rule. I thought it was just 2B being an uncomfortable teenager robot. "Nope, I'm in charge here and I say emotions are prohibited." "But 2B-" "Prohibited!"

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

CryingAthena posted:

In slightly more personal news, I found out the other day that a former classmate and neighbor of mine absolutely loved Nier: Automata despite not having a clue what Platinum Games means in the gaming industry and basing his opinion on Yoko Taro solely on interview clips he found on Youtube. After some enlightening from me he's decided to personally play through all Drakengards and Nier, once he's done with his Hard run of Automata and getting all the weapon stories. :kimchi:

Wow. What did this person do that you hate them enough to get them to play Drakengard? Point them at TDIs LPs, sure, but I'm pretty sure getting someone to play Drakengard 1 or 2 is considered cruel and unusual punishment.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XXII: Urban Violence

Alright, let’s try that again. Since the last time I saved was roughly two minutes ago because I diligently save every time I’m near a Terminal as it takes all of 0.57 seconds. If at any point in the game, DC Douglas Adams Pod pipes in with “maybe get back to the mission area” while poo poo is clearly popping off, it’s almost certain to trigger a bad ending if we ignore him. In this case, going to the Amusement Park (by the one in Pascal’s Village or the initial one), heading to the Desert or wandering over to the Factory will trigger that ending.

Though to be frank, that one is kinda rude since the game doesn’t actually point out the shortcut back to the City Ruins and it’s kinda easy to miss given the wonky fixed camera angle views. I had enough Survival Horror training to push against any obscured camera angle. But I can see people missing it. Especially if they’ve not turned on the fixed mini-map.

2B! Command is deploying new flight units for us! They just set the coordinates, so let’s get going.
On it.

Music: Grandma (Destruction)

Things are going poorly back in the City Ruins. Even the mighty moose are fleeing for the hills. As is the general color in the area. It’s probably OK... World desaturation isn’t a big deal. There’s only one color in space and the Operators seem to be getting along err... fine...ish.

More pressingly, missiles are randomly raining down in our android’s paths. That’s what those circular marks on the ground indicate. I’ve never gotten hit with a missile here and had to wait around for about 15 seconds for one to show up. In that time 2B can run half the distance of the city.

Our destination on the map indicates we’re to return to the roof of the building where we first landed in the City Ruins. That’s a couple blocks over. Let’s see if we can’t cut through a few back alleys to shorten the distance here.

Feet...? The hell are you going on abo—

SWEET FANCY BEEPY! 9S, I thought you were some kind of Scanner model. You’ve gotta tell me if your special eyes Detective Eagle vision, or however that works, picked up that there’s a five story dude the next block over. That would be helpful information to possess!

OK. Let’s maybe head a few blocks south of the rampaging Engels unit and try that again...

It’ll be dangerous, but we’re not going anywhere unless we pass through that Goliath’s legs. We should be careful.

Alright, got it. Don’t get stepped on by the walking oil rig. We’ll try to keep that in mind. Thankfully, this Engels seems to be extremely mad at the building ruins ahead of it for some reason and won’t pay our androids much mind.

On the downside, that’s the same building we have to climb to reach our flight units. Maybe if we’re very quiet we can sneak past that Engels Goliath and active the flight units before it takes noti—

Aaaah!
Dammit!

New Music: Grandma (Destruction - Vocal)
(It’s the full version of a Nier 1 remix track. Of course you should listen to it!)

NOOOOOPE! This is happening now! The means of production is back and it’s PISSED! Thankfully, it’s only at Level 3. On the other hand, it’s still 100 times bigger than us and hits like a truck accordingly.

Displaying data on central wiring hub!

9S, please cool it with the techno-babble. None of those words mean anything. You just copied that from an old Star Trek episode involving the Borg. You can’t fool me, 9Steve. I’m onto your game.

I’m also onto Engels game. This fight isn’t hugely different from our Prologue encounter with this type of enemy. Indeed, it has less tools at its disposal. This one doesn’t seem to have equipped its mouth laser cannon or its AA missile batteries. Instead, it just vomits a stream of energy orbs in random directions or in very basic patterns.

It’s also more of a puncher than its predecessor. It has a series of one-two punches with both arms that can almost entirely be evaded by just standing directly in the middle of the battleground and scooting accordingly slightly to the right or left. It follows this up by punching with BOTH arms, which is entirely avoided by simply standing still in the middle of the area.

As far as our offensive capabilities go, Pod 042’s Gatling is our bread and butter with the small post-punching opportunities to slash the arms with our melee weapons. Its patterns are all very simple and there’s no threat of it destroying the platform as there was when fighting the original Engels.

The Laser Pod Program can periodically be tagged in (and charged up to Level 2 now!) Both the Hammer Pod Program and the Missiles Pod are pretty drat worthless. Hammer is too slow unless charged up beforehand in response to one of Engel’s punches. Missiles will lock onto the closest available target. Which is fine when Engels is just shooting orbs or cooling it for a minute with attacking. But its arms (do they still count as Marx units?) are also valid targets, so missiles will attempt to steer towards them if Engels is attacking. And they do NOT possess the speed to keep up and hit moving targets reliably.

In any case, that’s one Goliath class machine down. We still have that other one to deal with in the center of the city. The property value is already tanking in this neighborhood. We don’t need it to sink any lower.

Operator 6O rings in again.

Make sure to approach at low altitude.
Copy that.

Off we go! Huh... that dead Engels is just going to sit there taking up space, huh? That’s really going to put a damper on the ruined skyline. Maybe we can put, I dunno... A big tarp over it? Maybe paint “Androids Rule!” on the side. That’ll show the machines.

Time for Round 2. Guys, let’s try not to nuke ourselves this time around. I cannot image the Resistance will appreciate our leveling a quarter of the city. That’s just rude as heck to do to allies’ neighborhood.

Unlike the first Engels, the second unit DID manage to install a face laser and back missiles like a diligent death bot. Two levels make all the difference with machine lifeforms.

But two can play that game! Fun fact: in the flight units we can switch Pods just like on the ground and use missiles. Both Pods also have the Missile Burst on different cooldown times, so we can use two in a row. Missiles are complete garbage in shmup sequences. Missile damage output is like maybe 25% of what Gatling can accomplish in the same span. That’s not even taking into consideration it does dick to deal with orb fire too. Missiles are really bad for this segment and fall off dramatically in the rest of the game soon. Shame.

Anyway, this fight is virtually identically to when we took on Engels from a flight unit earlier, just from an overhead perspective. I think we might make it out of this one without having to suicide bomb the area. :toot:

Music: ENDS

Oh man... we’re gonna need SUCH a huge tarp to put over this ugly thing. Hmph... Maybe we could enlist our new friends in the Machine Village to do some knitting... Can machines knit? That’s som—

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Back at the Bunker, they’re already prepping to fire up one of the 3D Printer terminals to build a new 9S and 2B.

Hey, remember that chapter title, The Excavated Land. Yeah well, several entire buildings just fell into a sink hole. That’s probably not correlated, right? Just a weird coincidence.

It’s resonating in tandem with the area beneath the combat zone!

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!

...This is totally not our fault! The factory bridge was one thing. We’re not taking the blame for this one, 9S. You’ve gotta have 2B’s back on reporting this one.

“Missiles are within an air defense sector and in immediate vicinity’s air defense sector with high robability of entering the region.”

Yeah, I know 9S. I can’t believe they typoed probability. The hell are YoRHa R&D doing with their time if this gets overlooked in beta testing. Shameful.

Oh yeah, also the Aliens are back.

...Is that good? That doesn't seem good.

...were hiding underground?

Tune in next time when 2B and 9S go meet some illegal aliens hiding in an underground base. What’s the worst that can happen, right? ...Right?

Video: Episode 22 Highlight Reel
(There’s a boss fight. You should probably watch it.)

Flight Unit Concept Art – Glad with have detailed info on how 2B’s thighs figure into the flight configuration.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 7, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The Watchers... dig?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
still liking the Grandma theme, even if the title doesnt make much sense anymore...
or does it???
(not a serious question)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

The Watchers... dig?

Excavate not the Watchers.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So the aliens decided to hide themselves in some kind of underground base to escape from the androids. This means we're about to suffer through like 4 hours of sewer levels, aren't we?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
A love that digs like a shovel.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVqOs3Aess

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yoko recently said that YoRHa android bodies would each cost roughly the same as a fighter jet would in the present day if things had the same economy. He didn't specify which fighter jet.

The Flight Units would cost ten times as much as a fighter jet for each.

The accountant unit up in the Bunker was probably having a breakdown during the intro...

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
CAAAAAAAN
YOUUUUUUUUU
DIG IIIIIIIIIT!?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

Feet...? The hell are you going on abo—

9S is such a baby. Engels can step on you all day long and all it does is gently caress with the camera a little. Either Engels is really light, or Androids are much more sturdy than they let on.

Though I haven't checked if they added damage to being stepped on in the patch. :effort:

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017
Bit late since we're already on another update, but:

My headcanon for 6O is that she and the Commander had a casual fling going, but she tried to make it serious and the Commander went all "lol emotions are prohibited" and dumped her hard.

So when she called 2B she made up something about another operator she liked because it'd be less embarrassing than saying she got rejected by their boss.

These are the things that gothita androids have made me think about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CesspoolofHatred posted:

Bit late since we're already on another update, but:

My headcanon for 6O is that she and the Commander had a casual fling going, but she tried to make it serious and the Commander went all "lol emotions are prohibited" and dumped her hard.

So when she called 2B she made up something about another operator she liked because it'd be less embarrassing than saying she got rejected by their boss.

These are the things that gothita androids have made me think about.

When you start throwing words like "headcannon" around, I don't think you can blame it on the androids.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So the aliens are actually David Bowie and Elvis coming back from space?

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Bruceski posted:

When you start throwing words like "headcannon" around, I don't think you can blame it on the androids.

I never said it was good headcanon :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You use the word "headcanon" unironically.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The machines are the ones with the headcannons anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

The machines are the ones with the headcannons anyway.

Mostly they seem to have arm and torso cannons.

Now, Pods? Those guys have head cannons.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

The Dark Id posted:

More pressingly, missiles are randomly raining down in our android’s paths. That’s what those circular marks on the ground indicate. I’ve never gotten hit with a missile here and had to wait around for about 15 seconds for one to show up. In that time 2B can run half the distance of the city.
Not only are the missiles extremely slow to come out, they have tiny hitboxes, on top of being aimed kinda randomly. You can take a break and fish during this sequence, and most likely won't get hit before you catch a couple of carps. :v:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I love the adorable mean skull and crossbones on the big warning message in the YoRHa base

Edit: What's the big explosion of "boss name language" letters around 2B at around 2:10 in the video representing?

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 7, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Item Getter posted:

I love the adorable mean skull and crossbones on the big warning message in the YoRHa base

Edit: What's the big explosion of "boss name language" letters around 2B at around 2:10 in the video representing?

it's the Angelic for "A, C, G, T"

the best possible connection I could come up with is that those are the symbols for the 4 nucleobases of DNA.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Why does everyone hate the missile pod so much? :(

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
EDF EDF EDF

Just waiting for a bunch of ants and spiders to come out of that hole and ruin everyone's day.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I want a headcannon. Sounds pretty metal.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

AirborneNinja posted:

Why does everyone hate the missile pod so much? :(

If it locked on faster it would be a lot better. The only use for it really is hard mode, and when you're too lazy to aim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

EDF EDF EDF

Just waiting for a bunch of ants and spiders to come out of that hole and ruin everyone's day.

To save our mankind's Earth from any alien attack, we failed the last 13 times but once again come back, we'll fight with huge machines 'till the ground under them goes slack, 2B/9S deploy!

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

InfinityComplex posted:

EDF EDF EDF

Now I wanna see 9S trying to convince 2B to sing one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmES6IJk_o

Thank you for giving me an excuse to link EDF Fight Song instead of this in response to MechanicalTomPetty

EDIT:

Bruceski posted:

To save our mankind's Earth from any alien attack, we failed the last 13 times but once again come back, we'll fight with huge machines 'till the ground under them goes slack, 2B/9S deploy!

Singing is also prohibited 9Steve

AccidentalHipster fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

exploded mummy posted:

the best possible connection I could come up with is that those are the symbols for the 4 nucleobases of DNA.

Thanks, that explains part of it but what is it in game terms, like an effect for healing, or getting hit by some attack?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The missiles will pop orbs and will stun enemies by exploding their faces. The orb popping doesn't really work outside of shmup levels because they launch vertically. It can also hit enemies from much further away then the gun pod.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

Worth noting those are the same letters that made up the black scrawl.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

A love that digs like a shovel.

I am delighted with both this joke and the fact you're making it topically god knows how many years on. :allears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone said that the spoiler rule came from Drakengard, so I'm going back and reading the thread itself.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AccidentalHipster posted:

Now I wanna see 9S trying to convince 2B to sing one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmES6IJk_o

Thank you for giving me an excuse to link EDF Fight Song instead of this in response to MechanicalTomPetty

EDIT:

Singing is also prohibited 9Steve

*cough*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJXCBuMQlaU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

SirPhoebos posted:

Someone said that the spoiler rule came from Drakengard, so I'm going back and reading the thread itself.

I kinda assumed it was responsible for the "Don't be a Creep" rule personally

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 7, 2017

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

I hope this leads to 10 pages of Space Jam/Nier fanart. Those were great times in the Drakengard 3 thread.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I hope this leads to 10 pages of Space Jam/Nier fanart. Those were great times in the Drakengard 3 thread.

Nier doesn't seem to have the ridiculously adorable spider-head-thingy art to properly facilitate it.

... Why doesn't Nier have the ridiculously adorable spider-head-thingy art?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I suppose if you're looking for spheres to Jam up, there's always the machine's heads.

I was honestly half expecting the aliens to either have long since left or turn out to not be a real thing.

Update XXI

The Dark Id posted:

there’s this operated I kind of liked, but

However at is first upgrade, it gets Critical+

plasma orbs explode, damaging them if stuck.

Update XXII

The Dark Id posted:

Even the might moose are fleeing for the hills.

And they do NOT the speed to keep up and hit reliably.

Anyway, this fight virtually identically to when we took on Engels from a flight unit earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Relevant to recent updates: https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/861077917429776384

• Locked thread