Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode XIV: Proposal

Welp, the machine boys learned pants. However, their mastery of belts and buttons aren’t quite there yet. But I’m going to guess that’s probably not what they’re here to discuss...

New Music: End of the Unknown (Quiet)

2B, 9S... I’m not quite sure of this questionable tactic of jumping to opposite ends of the room and assuming battle stance on a 2D plane. That seems an unnecessarily convoluted play.

2B! Look out!
My name is Adam. The aliens you seek are no longer here. They were wiped out centuries ago. ...By us. The machines.
Wiped out?
And who knows? Perhaps we’ll wipe out the androids next.

New Music: End of the Unknown (Dynamic)
(You should listen to this Tekken rear end boss jam.)

We took on Adam last time. I guess it’s time we did battle with Eve this go around. Though, I suppose... “battle” is a strong word. There is a fight about to go down but it is actually more of a glorified cutscene. We can do damage to Eve. Eve can straight up kill 2B if she’s not careful. But the battle itself is just window dressing for the civil discussion Adam is having with the androids and it is impossible to win until everyone is done saying their piece.

That said, right out the gate Eve just loving Shoryuken’d 2B across the arena. Hell of a first hit! I’ll give you that one, boyo. This fight is restricted to a 2D plane with 2B vs Eve in the front and 9S vs Adam in the back. All of those fighting game allusions I made in the first Adam fight are just straight up true now in this 2v2 bout. But with that in mind, Adam just taught most of his fighting game moves to Eve. There’s not actually any new moves present in this battle. If anything, they’ve forgotten some from the previous match up.

Honestly, all there is to this fight is don’t get punched/kicked in the face, attack Eve if he leaves himself open just to stun him for a bit and avoiding his parries because he’s WAY more on the ball with that than newly born Adam. And I suppose don’t die before this conversation ends... That’s literally it. It’s a glorified cutscene where you can die if you’re particularly bad at the game (or are playing on Hard.)

Machines are weapons capable of evolution. We can grow. We can become... aware. Eventually, the intelligence within our network began to surpass that of our creators. You’d probably be surprised at how quickly it happened.
You destroyed your own creators!?
Oh, there’s no need to fret about them. They were simple. Infantile. Almost like... plants, I guess you’d say. They held no value to us. But the humans on the moon? Now THEY are interesting.

Why them?
Because they are an enigma! They killed uncountable numbers of their own, and yet loved in equal measure! It’s fascinating, don’t you think? What could possibly drive such behavior? We have dedicated ourselves to unraveling this riddle of humanity... And now we will allow you to assist us. You were made in their image, after all.
Assist you with what!?

It’s simple... We need you to locate the humans on the moon and bring them to us. We will then dissect and analyze them in order to drag their secrets forth into the light! Surely you see the attraction in this.
Are you insane!? We’d never do that! Can you believe this, 2B? This guy’s bonkers!
Well. I suppose this concludes negotiations. The only remaining option... is to destroy you. The same way we destroyed these pathetic little aliens.

And with that line, diplomacy has failed and the battle is concluded. Hey! We Leveled Up for not betraying humanity to a shirtless boy band. How about that!

As for your beloved humans... I guess we’ll see, won’t we?

And with that, Adam and Eve peace out of the alien ship. You know guys, if you wanted to go to the moon to see what the deal is with humanity maybe you shouldn’t have smashed all of your creator’s spaceships during your whole “NO gently caress YOU DAD!” genocide... Just sayin’...

Music: Widespread Illness (Vocal)

Yeah. We’d better get back to the Bunker.

Welp. That concludes our time dealing with the aliens and their hidden base. There’s literally nothing left to it. Not even any loot. Sorry, no Mars People blaster accessory for Pod 042 or interesting lore logs about the aliens' history and the early days of the invasion. They're all long dead centuries before the game began and the machines killed them. That's it for their role in the story! Those shriveled up dicks are the closest we're ever getting to alien contact.

Stop complaining.
Yeah, yeah.

Shortly after leaving the alien bunker, 2B receives a radio transmission...

We now have an operational transporter in the city ruins. We’re attempting to deploy them at other points as well.
About time we had access to those!
Care to fill me in?
Transporters? They let you transfer your consciousness to a temporary body back in the Bunker. I heard some tech guys talking about it a while ago, but I didn’t know they’d finally got it working. Anyway, I’ll mark the positional data on the map.

Blah blah blah. Just say “fast travel” 9S. You’re talking about fast travel. It’s finally here! All we need to do is make it to the end of this big ol’ hole we initially jumped into.

Someone was nice enough to install a ladder in case 9S and 2B ever wanted to, ya know, climb out of the hole they hastily jumped into earlier. That was kind of ‘em. There could have just easily been a bad ending of 9S and 2B trapped at the bottom of a big rear end hole because they were too dumb to prepare an exit strategy. We should probably thank the helpful android in question. And that would be...

You again...
Your commander told me to build a new access point, so... here ya go. Oh, and I got the stupid transporter up and running too.
Um, thank you?
I’ve known the Commander for a while now. She sure is good at pawning work off on people. Next time you see her, give her some lip for me, will ya?

Still, transporters ARE pretty handy! They’re WAY faster than flight units when it comes to travelling between Earth and the Bunker. Flight units also leave us open to attack, and they’re expensive to operate, too.
You should be able to zap yourself here from other transporters now.
You’re certainly... active in a lot of areas, aren’t you?
Shut the hell up. ...You’ll make me blush.

Yep. Jackass is the best android. Any of your other android choices are wrong. Anyway, let’s take a look at our handy-dandy new upgraded Access Point!

We now have access to a teleport back to every single Access Point/Save Terminal that we’ve activated up to this point. That’s why I’d been going out of my way to point ‘em all out so far and be diligent in activating them all. This makes getting everyone a hundred times quicker and easier. Which also means it’s probably time to tackle some sidequests we’ve been putting off. And BOY have a lot of ‘em unlocked right about now.

But that’s a story for another day. For now, we’re going to return to the Bunker as Chapter 5 draws to a conclusion. Tune in next time for mission reports and a whirlwind trip of quest options I’ll let you all decide on, next time as NieR: Automata continues!

Video: Episode 24 Highlight Reel
(It’s a pseudo-boss fight and first proper discussion with the main villains. You should PROBABLY watch it.)

Alien Ship Graveyard Concept Art – Nice job half-assing it on smashing up all the ships up after the alien genocide, Marx. No wonder you’re just arms for Engels nowadays.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This just makes me think that Alien: Covenant is gonna be not-good.

Don't know why I thought of that when I read this, just saying.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Dark Id posted:

Because they are an enigma! They killed uncountable numbers of their own, and yet loved in equal measure! It’s fascinating, don’t you think? What could possibly drive such behavior? We have dedicated ourselves to unraveling this riddle of humanity... And now we will allow you to assist us. You were made in their image, after all.
Oh no, he's a humaboo.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So... the aliens weren't wiped out by earth diseases then?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Stephen9001 posted:

So... the aliens weren't wiped out by earth diseases then?

No, they succumbed to the apparently very common illness of "not adding a loving off switch to your killer robots."

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Absolutely watch the boss fight video to hear 9S's delivery of "This guy's bonkers."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nuramor posted:

No, they succumbed to the apparently very common illness of "not adding a loving off switch to your killer robots."

It's like no one in sci fi stories have ever experienced a sci fi story.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

hopeandjoy posted:

Hey the plant-penis-aliens probably hadn't invented sci-fi

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

hopeandjoy posted:

All these years, decades, of fiction with cartoonishly evil supervillains as presidents, and 2016 still happened

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 10, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Sidequest time? Sidequest time!
All the plot important sidequest time.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Coughing Hobo posted:

Absolutely watch the boss fight video to hear 9S's delivery of "This guy's bonkers."

There, now we have something that will always be true no matter what.

Kyle McCarley is really good in this game you guys

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Those gold things on the other side of the glass are alien ships? How are you supposed to know that? I had no idea what those rocks and gold shapes were supposed to signify and why the androids seemed to recognize them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well if you listen with your ears and read with your eyes, the characters you're playing as say it out loud.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

is there any possible way to kill Adam or Eve? Or is just "Scripted and nothing will kill them"?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you do enough damage to bring their health to 0 they'll just teleport out for a few seconds and teleport back in with full hp.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
They've learned pants, but it seems they have yet to learn gameplay conventions. Enemies that heal are considered to be extremely rude.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Those gold things on the other side of the glass are alien ships? How are you supposed to know that? I had no idea what those rocks and gold shapes were supposed to signify and why the androids seemed to recognize them.
Hmmm... yeah, I wonder
how you're possibly
supposed to figure that out?

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

This just makes me think that Alien: Covenant is gonna be not-good.

Don't know why I thought of that when I read this, just saying.

Oh don't worry, believe me when I say Alien: Covenant is an amazing movie. And loving horrifying.

Back on topic. This is getting interesting.

Also, I got the game in the mail a few days ago. I'mma start killing me some Machine Lifeforms soon.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Hmmm... yeah, I wonder

how you're possibly

supposed to figure that out?

In defense of that guy, those vague blobs definitely don't look like alien ships to me and if the game didn't point it out I would have wondered what the hell that was all about.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I was shocked to find out that the aliens were long dead, killed by their own creations. Death by hubris is a fate in fiction traditionally reserved for humans

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Elkyrie posted:

In defense of that guy, those vague blobs definitely don't look like alien ships to me and if the game didn't point it out I would have wondered what the hell that was all about.

Yeah, but...

...it does.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Aw I was kinda looking forward to getting some alien lore but if this is the extent of their role in the story... :smith:

At least Adam and Eve are shaping up to be some cool dudes. Hope they show up with leather biker jackets next.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They literally just look like Generic Japanese Martians. Don't think about them too much really.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

I was shocked to find out that the aliens were long dead, killed by their own creations. Death by hubris is a fate in fiction traditionally reserved for humans

Humans already suffered death by hubris in the original Nier, and like any good species in Nier after being reborn we presumably exist just to induce other species to suffer similar horrifying fates as vengeance.

Kind of like the reborn Furiae in Drakengard, really.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I couldn't tell what they were either, but 9S said they were spaceships and I'd think he would know.

Anyway, dig the fighting game segment with Adam and Eve. It's scripted, sure, but it's still pretty neat and a fun change of pace.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Note that the aliens were wiped out (and the commander says they were last seen) "centuries" ago. The war has been going on for roughly 7000 years. I think they were more hands-on in the past and only relatively recently handed the whole war apparatus over to their machine creations.

Which was a bad idea, turns out!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The commander might just have referred to a couple dozen centuries or so, give or take a couple.

Alternatively, they don't really have accurate records, so anything older than a few centuries (most androids don't live longer than that) and it gets fuzzy, so everything farther in the past is always "centuries ago".

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Great, now I want Drakengard: The Musical The Stage.

Well there is a supplemental stage play...it's called YoRHa Stage Play and from what I've heard it's not exactly all that supplemental to the game. But it's a thing! Google at your own risk.

Hey, it's a new voice actor in the alien spaceship!

Eve is, quite like Adam, voiced by another "anime voice to make those panties drop" voice actor, Tatsuhisa Suzuki. He's also the vocalist of OLDCODEX on the side. CV includes roles like Tachibana Makoto from Free!, Mukami Yuuma in Diabolik Lovers, Sakamoto Yuuji in Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Nase Hiroomi in Kyoukai no Kanata, Ban in Nanatsu no Taizai, and Kurosaki Ranmaru in UtaPri. If you need a singing voice actor, Suzuki's your man.

Ray Chase seems to be on a different part of the voice acting spectrum. Among his previous roles you can find Mozgus in Berserk (2016), Onigawara in Mob Psycho 100, Noctis in Final Fantasy XV and its supplemental materials, and Duncan in Dark Dreams Don't Die (AAAAAAVAAAAAAANT GAAAAAARDE!!!). Maybe his roles are panty-droppers in another manner...? :confused:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Speaking of fighting games, if SquareEnix ever did a fighting game of every property they own both Western and Eastern, you know they're gonna put in some Drakenier representatives. And on the off-chance Nowe's one of them, then can we please have Lara Croft plant her pickaxe right in his dome?

I remembered Just Cause is also SquareEnix, so Rico could just draw and quarter Nowe with his tethers.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Saagonsa posted:

If you do enough damage to bring their health to 0 they'll just teleport out for a few seconds and teleport back in with full hp.

They also give EXP if you do that and you can even level up for a mid-fight heal, which is nice

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mazerunner posted:

They also give EXP if you do that and you can even level up for a mid-fight heal, which is nice

I got two levels from this fight and completely missed all the dialog the first time. I thought it was a rival fight and concentrated too hard on getting perfect dodges :v:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MJ12 posted:

Humans already suffered death by hubris in the original Nier, and like any good species in Nier after being reborn we presumably exist just to induce other species to suffer similar horrifying fates as vengeance.

Kind of like the reborn Furiae in Drakengard, really.

Nah, humanity was already dying in the original Nier thanks to maso radiation, and the Gestalt plan was just a last ditch effort with the sole goal being to avoid extinction, instead of humanity taking science too far. Humanity's fall wasn't really their fault at all.

Honestly I'm surprised it took humanity as long as it did to gently caress off to the moon. No maso on the moon means you can get your human bodies back much sooner.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Elkyrie posted:

At the risk of constantly repeating the same point, that's probably why the game, y'know, pointed it out.

Basically there is no defense for that guy, because he's literally complaining about something the game blatantly said. There is no defense. His failure to understand is entirely his fault.

CryingAthena posted:

Well there is a supplemental stage play...it's called YoRHa Stage Play and from what I've heard it's not exactly all that supplemental to the game. But it's a thing! Google at your own risk.

Or don't google at all. Because TDI has said he's going to cover the stage play. And stuff from the stage play does constitute spoilers, as well, so definitely don't discuss much more than its existence here.

apocalypticCritic fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 10, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dabir posted:

They literally just look like Generic Japanese Martians. Don't think about them too much really.

Wait, the Generic Japanese Martian design is walking dicks?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HenryEx posted:

All these years, decades, of fiction with cartoonishly evil supervillains as presidents, and 2016 still happened

Yeah, as cartoonish as Adam can be, my ability to suspend disbelief has be dramatically improved since last year.

:killing:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
No spoilers, just my "headcannon" based on the stuff on this board.

What makes me laugh, is the image in my head how a gajillion years ago when this invasion started, the aliens at their homeworld were listening to the transmissions of what was going on; got to "Robots took over and started their own society" and went NOPE and cancelled all reinforcements, shut down all ftl drives, stargates, etc, and wrote the entire Solar System off as a Yoko Taro-level Disaster Area.

pulsor93
Mar 3, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah, as cartoonish as Adam can be, my ability to suspend disbelief has be dramatically improved since last year.

:killing:

You tend to improve you suspension of disbelief when you learn about illnesses that make people allergic to water.
I'm not even kidding.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Andyzero posted:

and wrote the entire Solar System off as a Yoko Taro-level Disaster Area.

Hell even HUMANITY did that in the Drakengard universe. I wonder if Alien Accord and Accord are drinking buddies.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Wait, the Generic Japanese Martian design is walking dicks?

Apparently. This is how they looked like waay back in Metal Slug 2:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

U-DO Burger posted:

Nah, humanity was already dying in the original Nier thanks to maso radiation, and the Gestalt plan was just a last ditch effort with the sole goal being to avoid extinction, instead of humanity taking science too far. Humanity's fall wasn't really their fault at all.

Honestly I'm surprised it took humanity as long as it did to gently caress off to the moon. No maso on the moon means you can get your human bodies back much sooner.

They probably hosed off to the moon right off the bat, it's just 10,000 years of inbred 1%ers that could afford to go up there in the first place. The Yoko Taro twist is going to be that the last 1/5th of the game is a The Hills Have Eyes-esque survival horror genre flip. The final boss is the Immortal Emperor of Mankind Donald Trump on the Golden Throne.

• Locked thread