Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Was going to get this when it went on sale, but then SE had a promotion on Amazon where you'd get a Rideable Nimbus Cloud in FFXIV, so I decided to go ahead and get on Uncle Taro's Wild Ride.

Loving all the alternate endings. The first one I stumbled on should be coming up soon.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm not gonna lie, DarkId, when I saw this conversation, I thought for a moment they had contracted you to ghostwrite part of this game. This is so one of your italicized conversations it hurts.

If you haven't been wondering if TDI and Yoko Taro are the same person after Nier had Spenser Manor in it, you aren't a true scotsman fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The great thing about Simone is her placement in the game's narrative. Nier G/R waited to the end (of the first playthrough) to hit you with "the bad guys were human", so that's no longer a shocker. Nier A gets the idea of the enemy being individuals out the way fairly early...and then brings out a screechy machine with a dick mouth who crucifies androids to be jewelry and audience to remind us that individuals can be complete assholes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone said that the spoiler rule came from Drakengard, so I'm going back and reading the thread itself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Drakengard thread reread, part 1: After the first few chapters, the thing that confuses the thread most is what's going on with Angelus' horns. One goon (Sejs Cube) thought it looked like a chef's hat.

Also it seems like a lot of the early responders were familiar with the game, though most gave up on the weapon acquisition part. A common post is "Y-your not going to 100% this, are you? :ohdear:"

EDIT: also, someone spoiled the Grotesques on page 2

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 7, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

...and the fighter jets are spoiled on page 3. To be fair, it's at least been behind spoiler tags.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know, if they put Drakengard on Steam, I'd pick it up.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

neongrey posted:

I don't think the fighter jets thing actually meant anything to anyone who didn't know about it already on page 3.

The post literally says "you get shot down by fighter jets over Tokyo". The thing with spoilers is once they start rolling, they don't stop. I was reading an FFX LP (not TDI's) and the author had gotten through, like, an hour of the game when I already had most of the plot points laid out, and at that point I no longer cared.

It's on page six that The Dark Id asks goons to stop spoiling stuff, and the first response is ":byodood: but they can look it up on youtube anyway, so who cares?"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

KamikazePotato posted:

Even though Drakengard 1 spoilers were definitely a problem in the original thread (and with every TDI LP), that game is so bananas that it didn't matter too much. The cutscene where giant babies descend from the sky caused the best LP thread reaction I've ever seen.

I just got to the first mention of the Watchers, and at least some of the readers didn't pay attention to the early spoilers (guesses so far are "Trees" "Cosmic Horrors" and "Birds, probably swans"). Though I gotta say if Drakengard swapped the giant babies with Birdemic, it would have been hilarious.

EDIT: "Parasite Eve Mitochondria", "Neighborhood Watch Alliance" "voyeurism self help group".

And Space Bat makes a joke that flies over everyone's head and is probably forgotten by the time they do show up:

Space Bat posted:

Would you big babies quit whining and wait and see?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 8, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And now I'm at Leonard's intro. Hoo Boy.

Now am I misremembering, but does the lore at least heavily imply that Leonard never acted on his impulses (which is how the kids with him got killed-he had to
wwank off in the woods and -whoops!- the Empire makes a pit stop at his hut)?

EDIT: Lots of pooping on Dragon Age by thread readers. I think this was before DA2 though.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 9, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Aside from Yoko Taro's wild ride, I imagine that the only way a character like Leonard could ever exist is in a John Wick RPG that had random-roll drawbacks.

And no, I don't mean John Wick the action hero, I mean this John Wick.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Drakengard Thread Report: So on page 11, we have Inuart doing his heel turn. At this point, Manah's identity is still shrouded, and her voice in the cutscene is doing the bad House of the Dead impression. A goon straight up announces that the dark shadowy figure is a little girl. Doesn't even use spoiler tags!

Drakengard! Goons!

EDIT: tbf, The Dark Id uses a shadowed version of Manah's portrait for her dialogue, so its not too hard to figure out the age of our new villain.

EDIT2: Also, Inuart's price pact is known well in advance. Unlike Veredelt's. While I doubt it would have been as impactful as the Watchers reveal, it was probably worth a few laughs.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 10, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fabulousvillain posted:

Out of curiosity, was the spoiler a response to another person speculating or just throwing out the reveal like a jerk? I mean they're a jerk either way, but one way is just kinda rude and possibly accidental, while the second one is a thread equivalent of whipping your genitals out at the dinning room table.

It's the latter.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Zomborgon posted:

Nah, Eve's only got a turtle.

So Eve is Jeb Bush?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

HenryEx posted:

All these years, decades, of fiction with cartoonishly evil supervillains as presidents, and 2016 still happened

Yeah, as cartoonish as Adam can be, my ability to suspend disbelief has be dramatically improved since last year.

:killing:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dog Kisser posted:

Well poo poo, I caught up to the end of the thread. Guess I'll have to read it as it comes out like the rest of you savages!

also dark id is the best

Get the game. It's legit good.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

There's something hilarious about the fact that Yoko Taro thought Dynasty Warriors was a game in need of social rebuttal.

Also, I would totally be down for Koei bringing on Taro to write a DW game, since he would make sure all the hosed up poo poo in RotK was included.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TooManyUzukis posted:

Or that time Liu Bei cried from gratitude when he discovered that someone murdered their wife and served her as dinner to him because they had no other food that was fit for the table.

Drakengard! Benevolence!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So -that's- what you do in that quest? The deserters or whatever sometimes appeared at the quest locations, and sometimes just bugged out?

Son of a-I must have wasted like an hour combing that Engel and skyscraper looking for those guys! :argh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Mackerel was my first death as well. That was when I truely knew this was a Yoko Taro game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I feel this is relevant to the current conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuQRCG_sUw

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got to the worst part of the Drakengard LP thread: the one or two goons that kept saying "heh, this isn't so weird, you guys are overblowing this :smug:"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pod, enhance:

:thunk:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thank you for this

:yokotaro:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yeah, this quest was full :catstare: for me.

Meanwhile in the Drakengard LP thread, the readers have just been introduced to Kaine. Queue a page of goons being horrible and then arguing about whether or not they're horrible.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 23, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The kid machine looks like he has ZUN-face.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

iospace posted:

I hate you so much right now.

You're welcome :)

Meanwhile in my reread of the Drakengard LP, I just got to the Surprise Giants and the ":smug: heh its not that weird" is in full swing. Fuckin' goons.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Qrr posted:

I am a little confused about the hatred for Jean-Paul here. Three people send him stuff he doesn't want. He tells you he doesn't want it. Somehow, he's the villain in this. It's odd.

I think there's ooone more reason why everyone hates Jean Paul, but to go into it would be spoilers, so just keep watching and all will be revealed.

Or play the game yourself. It's very good.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Father Servo is the best because my head instantly went to Tom Servo, because why the hell not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ree220FiOEg

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Forest Zone is a favorite of mine either. I did notice _some_ invisible walls, but not any more than other areas...but that perception might have been caused by my confusion with the YorHa Deserter quest (:argh:)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

On my first playthrough, I saw the Cypress Stick chest, tried to do the puzzle once, and said "gently caress it, I'll do it later".

Luckily, I discovered that putting it off made getting it significantly simpler.

EDIT: Did not know about Virtuous Grief. I'll have to go get it now.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 9, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A2...sounds like "et tu", as in "et tu brute?".

I'm trying to figure out what's gong on with her "top". The upper part looks like its actually painted onto her torso, but there's cloth hanging on the bottom.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

woahwoahwoah....Emil sells weapons?? :aaa: I-damnit! Stormblood Early Access started today I have so many cactaur asses to collect! :argh:

But in all serious, Emil is awesome. I had a few emotional moments interrupted by him speeding by. :buddy:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Qrr posted:

As for that point of no return: it's a real jerk move. The actual point of no return is located right next to the target of a sidequest. An important side quest that you really don't want to miss. And while it's easy to not trigger the point of no return, it's also not clearly labeled that it'll abort your side quests.

On my second playthrough, I actually avoided talking to Anemone until I was done with all the sidequests (though of course there's a sidequest behind that trigger :v:)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:aaa: I never ran into the giant Emil heads, and I've played this game twice

In other news, DrakeNier has affected my expectations of what happens in video games. I'm playing through the FFXIV: Stormblood plot, and whenever a plot beat doesn't include the death of hundreds/important NPCs/children, my reaction is "Hey, things turned out okay :shobon:" instead of thinking that things are too optimistic.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Some spoiler bits

It's relatively minor, but you might want to scrub this down.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: Pascal and his pacifist robot bros have been helpful and good, in the face of 9S' horrible racism.
At no point in the Drakengard series were Wyverns anything but enormous assholes entirely deserving of the hate coming their way.

Sure are a lot of wyvernists in this thread :colbert:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SpookyLizard posted:

<hate speech>

Reported. This isn't 4chan, you fuckin' red-had.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SpookyLizard posted:

Get out you goddamn social justice wyvern

Wait don't tell me-you think Drakengard 3 is about Ethics in Weapon Story Writing :jerkbag:

EDIT: Oh hey, new update, and new ending.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 17, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh boy, my favorite section is coming up :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

apocalypticCritic posted:

This whole scene is so great. Very well paced, too. Just creepy enough at the start to put you on edge, but you could believe that things are going to be normal, and then.... BECOME AS GODS.

I don't think it's so much you think things are going to be normal...it's that you expect things to go strange one way but it goes strange in an entirely different way.

EDIT: BECOME AS GODS

• Locked thread