Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I see the NieR sequel is going to right to batshit insanity from an early point. Given how Drakenier games tend to ramp up the madness, I can't wait to see how deep the rabbit hole of insanity this game gets up to. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, of what we've seen so far with the robo-womb and wacky world land over here, on a scale of 1 to 10 where do they rate on the game's craziness scale?

Given how the batshit insanity in a Taro-san game tends to scale exponentially the longer the game goes on - see literally any Drakenier game - I'm going to guess that we have only begun the descent, and thus rate about a 2 on the WTF-o-meter.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

But I wanted to talk about the orgies!

This. Cannot. Continue.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Verant posted:

Bake not at 350 degrees Fahrenheit the Watchers. Lalalalala!

Glaze not the Watchers with buttercream frosting. Lalalala!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Machine on a Break is still perfectly fine. NieR 3 is actually going to be about a team-up of Machine on a Break, the two drugged out YoRHa androids and the Oasis girl all finally getting their poo poo together and going “Wait WHAT did we miss?!” This will all happen just in time from the Martian hell demons disturbed by the Scientist Machine’s space program to arrive and invade earth. You heard it here first!

It will be played mostly as a first-person bullet hell shooter, have rhythm game duels against a few bosses, and a Bejeweled clone for puzzles. The final boss fight will be a game of chess against the Martian Overlord.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

The Dark Id posted:

Pascal Concept Art – ROB was actually a machine lifeform scout this entire time.

I knew there was a reason not to trust that little Famicom gently caress!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I... I have no words. Okay, I have a lot of words, but I can't seem to form them into a coherent sentence. I'm afraid that the only thing to sum up my feelings are the following smilies: :yokotaro: :wtc: :yokotaro: :wtf:

That was unnecessarily morbid. Drakenier! Automata!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Yunlihn posted:

:yokotaro: should be one of the definitions for "genius" in the dictionnary. Also for "madness", but we all know these two concepts always go together anyway.

I had a nervous laugh when I found Pascal's shop... I also realized Taro is not content with just killing kids anymore, he now recycles them.

Even in the mercilessly grim far future of Drakenier, going green is always beneficial.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
...So are the androids pissed at the Devola and Popola model for not stopping the death of all humans and the failure of the Gestalt Project? "caused a major incident" doesn't really seem to suggest that to me, more like they're being blamed for Nier's actions of shutting the entire fuckin' thing down. Is ... does that mean the final ending of Nier getting wiped from the timeline is the actual canon? Everything that was Nier except the consequences of his actions getting wiped from existence so that his actions get assigned to the easiest to blame, ie, Popola and Devola?

...Drakenier! Timestream shenanigans, apocalypses, and shithole worlds that somehow keep getting shittier for everyone involved, even if they were only peripherally involved! I find myself longing for the days of a murder road trip between a murderous mute, a dragon, a pedophile, a cannibal, and a dumbshit kid directly or indirectly responsible for four out of five apocalypses. Holy poo poo is this game depressing. And hilarious.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I can't tell if Taro-san is getting better or worse about horrible grinds in pursuit of completionism. He hates violent video games. Does he hate gamers, too? Did a completionist kick his rear end in grade school?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Freidrich, you have been summoned to court to answer for the crime of loving your big brother and being a good boy, how do you plead?
Guilty.
The punishment is death.

Send in the next one.

Being in a Taro Yoko game with good intentions is kind of like being a mother in a Disney film.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
: Alright kid, you're coming up on the final act of these events in this world of rip-and-tear we call home. I want to see your biggest, baddest kill face.

: Oh, okay. You mean like... this?

: Holy poo poo kid, no. Just... just no. You know, between that and insisting everyone call you 'Nines' I'm starting to understand why this world has gone to bigger, worse poo poo since I cacked it. Look, let me just show you how it's done, then you try, alright?

...Alright?

: First, you gotta just kinda... picture the whole loving world drowning in blood. Everyone who's ever pissed you off, egged you on, or whatever. Now picture all those people strung up by their feet, their throats cut, bleeding out like butchered farm animals for meat. And finally - it's you. You did it. You killed all those loving people and everything that's ever pissed you off is dead. Only, the killing isn't done yet. It's never done. So you just get all those feelings up and...

: WHAT THE gently caress. Holy loving poo poo that's terrifying! I don't think I can do that!

: Sure you can, kid, sure you can. Here, let me just get this blindfold off you and...

: Not bad, kid. Not bad. Now you're ready to face the world going to hell. You could do with less whining, though.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 15, 2017

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Nier is the rational,tame series.

I don't think you can say that about a game featuring aliens, space androids, machine messiahs, and machine space races.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Hey yeah that's not loving HORRIFYING or anything. I think I would have been slapping my PC's power button at this point just to get it off the loving screen, jesus gently caress. It's not bad enough that it's an eldritch-voiced little girl in a red dress grinning - it's how off proportioned the smile is that is viscerally disturbing. The rest is just extraneous, effective details.

Yoko Taro, you brilliant, mad genius, I am never playing your loving games because of this poo poo but I love your style.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
...I'm kind of hoping ending E turns out to be "rhythm in the skiEs".

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
So... best boy's gonna nuke the Earth now, right? Right? There's basically nothing left here.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
...Taro-san has gone too far. Emil. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
That... that ending. I actually usually hate endings like this, where everything you did has a payoff only in the eventual future of the game, which you're no longer taking part in and thus no longer privy to. It always feels a little cheap. This time, though, it feels complete. This time it actually felt like it was an ending - not just the end of a chapter of the story, but an actual ending to the story. How the hell can Taro-san make me actually like an ending conceit I usually hate?

Thanks for showing this game off, Id, and every previous game on Yoko Taro's Wild Ride. This was... beautiful.

Kind of sad the Watchers never showed up, though. La la la la la...

• Locked thread