Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I can finally read this thread after being done with the game. I know it's supposed to be spoiler free but there were a lot of people hinting and speculating on clues in the beginning.

Good to see I'm not too late.

Original Nier was already one of my favorite games. This one may have been even better and I'm shocked by that. I assumed that Nier was lightning in a bottle, maybe even something that happened almost by accident. Especially given that Yoko Tako's other series, Drakkengard, I heard is not that good.

I'm surprised at how much care went into it. All the little things in making it accessible like warning a player over and over about no auto save and having an easy mode. The little gameplay touches that I'm still discovering. (I beat the game without knowing that you could glide down a cliff by holding on to the pod) Every song having so many variations. It doesn't feel like everyone involved thought they were just making a sequel to a 50 rating score on metacritic game made by a mad man. It feels like everyone involved knew they were working on a sequel to a masterpiece and were making something special. More care feels like it went into this than Final Fantasy 15, which is crazy. Square just thought "It's half finished, good enough, gently caress it" for FF15. This, playing it after FF15, feels flawless and perfect in comparison.

Thanks for doing this, TDI. Looking forward to going through this thread from page 18 where I left off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

KamikazePotato posted:

That's accurate, actually. Platinum had a choice to make a game based on any Square IP they wanted to due to some agreement, and they picked Nier because they loved the game. Nier 1 is one of those games that quietly built up a strong fanbase over time after a disastrous release.

Yep, I didn't play original Nier until 2014 when someone on SA recommended it to me. I even came back with "Reviews say this is poo poo. Why are you recommending me this?" Then it was explained to me that reviewers are clueless and I discovered that yes, they are. I felt like I ripped off the company having just spent $7 for it at a GameStop. Of course the company didn't even exist anymore. I thought for sure there would never be another game like it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I wonder if reviewers made it to Ending B. I'm thinking they didn't. Did any of them that hated it mention it? There are plenty of times game reviewers all get something wrong collectively. It's weird when that happens. Makes you wonder if they even play through them or just try them for a hour or two. Going by reviewers, GTA 4 is about the perfect game. FF13 is a better game than Nier. I haven't met any non-reviewer that shares these opinions.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Dark Id posted:

A YoRHa squadron swoops in with an assist. By the way, we briefly met 4B before. She ate it immediately during the prologue mission to the Abandoned Factory Zone. If you ever wondered why 2B didn’t seem to give a poo poo about any of them dying, that’s because everyone (but the deserter 11B of course) just got restored to back-up units upon death. Good to see 4B is doing alright after that mission.

If 4B could be brought back like that, why wasn't the deserter brought back? They didn't know she deserted. They thought she died. They should have just loaded her back-up, right?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

She cut herself off from the network in order to escape.

Why does their Earth body need to be connected to the network? At the beginning, when 2B and 9S blew themselves up, there wasn't anything left after the explosion to connect to the network. So they just started over, correct?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

InfinityComplex posted:

At the start of all of this, 9S said that he was backing their current selves up to the network before detonating.

And 9S didn't finish for himself so he had to start over from the point of before he went to Earth.

I don't see why wouldn't 11B also be started over from that point.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I did something like that too, except it was "Motherfucker!" and it happened when the Auto-Collect chip showed up because I somehow missed it when I played this.

I did too. I didn't discover it until there was nothing left to do but side quests.

I actually think I did buy it at first, then died immediately, didn't realize you lost all your chips on death, figured it didn't do what was advertised, played several hours without chips, and forgot about it.

Also I didn't notice that pressing up and down changes the weapons. I think I actually played about 10 hours with the weakest Level 1 weapon because I changed it like that by mistake. I was like "Man, the game got really difficult all of a sudden."

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 12, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I genuinely think that if he was introduced to TDI's LPs (if he hasn't already been at some point) he might just show up and start posting in shoddy English. He just seems like that kind of guy.

If I recall correctly, not only did he see TDI's LP, but he actually sent him gifts for it as thanks.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly this wasn't nearly as WTF to me as coming around the corner to the amusement park, but for the former I was expecting things to be played straight, and...well. :yokotaro:

That was my thinking too. I was expecting things to be crazy and insane. When I walked out and looked around, I thought "Yeah, that's about right." I was more shocked by the normal looking cave.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I wonder if anyone ever got that ending on their own.

I enjoyed 2B's rant there that I of course heard in her voice.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ukokira posted:

It was the first non standard ending I got. I saw an item in the distance and ran over to grab it since getting 9S seemed like a very fast way out of there and not get that item.

Cue having to do the Adam fight all over again.

Hah, that's what you get for not being totally 100% immersed. When you finally recover your boy toy, you run to him. You're not concerned with shiny objects in the distance.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

iospace posted:

Sliiiiiiightly off topic, what TDI LP should I read while waiting on updates for this one? I did the Nier and Drakengard 1 ones, so recommendations would be nice.

Chrono Cross. I'll make it real easy for you to decide which to read next. One word: Poshul. https://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/Update%2004/

Poshul: "Sergeipoo!? A p-p-prethent!? F-F-For I!? How'd you know? Hmm... To acthept, or not to acthept? AHEM! Me acthept your prethent and Me shall help you! Me will do anything you want. Me will be honored to be by your thide!"
Poshul: "Me will use my Pretty-Miracle-Power-X! Me will do it, Sergeipoo!"

TDI: Honest to god, I did not change an iota of that dialogue...

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

vdate posted:

For all of 2B's usual seriousness, something about her body language in some of these animations seems awfully pleased with herself - almost smug. Can't really put my finger on it, just the impression I got. Paints an amusing mental picture, though!

Which fits perfectly since even in the first 30 minutes of the game, she was losing control over her emotions. It was her that was startled when the desert robots starting talking, not 9S. The Terminator, she isn't.

She even cares enough to pet her pod.

Solitair posted:

I was actually pretty on-board with Chrono Cross's story, excess of playable characters aside, and then it just fell apart after Serge opens that door in Chronopolis.

By contrast, some of Xenogears' best scenes happened after it got out of the Disc 2 narration zone, including the Zeboim sidequest.

TDI writing Serge's reactions to Chrono Cross's clusterfuck of info dumps was my favorite part of any Let's Play. Everyone here better have read that.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 20, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Become rear end Gods

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Going by the description of that boss fight, I'm guessing I shouldn't have died like 10 times on him.

Did anyone else have a rough time with him?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think I took 2 or 3 attempts to get the groove of him down. IIRC it was a significant enough change from how the combat had been up to that point that I kind of had to readjust my approach pretty significantly.

Sindai posted:

I can see how it would be tough if you don't notice the leg thing quickly and stunlock it to death.

Yeah, my strategy of keeping distance was not a good one. This is what happened to me over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTD6GRzS7fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22vWrtyHro

Then when I went in close though, it was hard to time his shock waves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hWJo-EXWI

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 24, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Eopia posted:

Have you considered that maybe you're just underleveled/playing on a difficulty level that's too high for you, because that boss really isn't that hard.

I actually love that it challenged me. I've seen complaints that people breezed through the game on Normal, and I would have complained about that if I had experienced the same, but that wasn't my experience at all. I had a great experience with the gameplay. I want boss battles to be a bit of a struggle.

Part of the problem for me here may have been that I got suicide bombed earlier which took away all my chips. When I died, it sent me back to a checkpoint with no chips. I would have had to restore a save point and lose a lot of progress to keep my chips.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Sindai posted:

Her skirt is damaged in the final cutscene.

Lol, I never noticed until just pointed out.

Is it always like this?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

HR12345 posted:

It's the regular batlle theme to the game, Last Surprise.

I've played Persona 5 for 20 hours and I didn't even know the battle theme had English lyrics. I thought it was Japanese or Chaos language.

I read the update twice looking for the Persona 5 joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: War and War
(You should listen to this since it only plays here too.)

This is my favorite song in the game after City Ruins. Kind of a shame they could only find one small fit for it.

• Locked thread