Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
So IT shows up in Dreamcatcher... Will the new movie feature Duddits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Malcolm Excellent posted:

So IT shows up in Dreamcatcher... Will the new movie feature Duddits?

Where? Isn't there just some graffiti?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jack Gladney posted:

I think one of the character sees Pennywise waving at them from the side of the road as they're driving through town.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Basically. There's mention of the events of 1985 and the destruction of the standpipe, but that's about it. Typical King stuff, he usually throws in a few references here and there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I think one of the character sees Pennywise waving at them from the side of the road as they're driving through town.

That's Tommyknockers. Dreamcatcher just has the "Pennywise Lives" graffiti.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there anywhere I can hear a sample of Steven Weber as Pennywise? I don't want to get the entire audiobook for it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
He also shows up in the Dark Tower at the tail end. Has an odd effect on Roland, not the weird malaise that affects most adults, or at least those in Derry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vicissitude posted:

He also shows up in the Dark Tower at the tail end. Has an odd effect on Roland, not the weird malaise that affects most adults, or at least those in Derry.

I don't think King meant for that to be IT, at least not the one from Derry. If anything its another similar creature that feeds off of a completely different emotion, but that's just speculation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
It, the thing towards the end of the Dark Tower books, and the Crimson King are meant to be relatives. It would have helped if the Crimson King was developed better.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there anywhere I can hear a sample of Steven Weber as Pennywise? I don't want to get the entire audiobook for it.

Yeah I'm curious about this too.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

plz dont pull out posted:

Same. As much as I love reading I've been trying to get into audiobooks as well for when I'm doing housework and the likes.

Speaking of relations to Pennywise, there's also the shapeshifting leech-lady in Library Poilce who feeds on children's fear. She might just be a distant cousin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

It, the thing towards the end of the Dark Tower books, and the Crimson King are meant to be relatives. It would have helped if the Crimson King was developed better.

The Crimson King seems to be some sort of demon spawn, and Stephen King always has made a distinction between the Prim, which is like his version of Hell and where demons live, and Todash space, which is like a dimensionless void between the worlds that is home to more Lovecraftian, incomprehensible monsters. A todash monster chases Roland and his group towards the end of The Dark Tower, and it bears a strong resemblance to the monsters that come out of the portal that is created by the Arrow Project in The Mist.

The Crimson King is like the Devil, he appears to rule over all the creatures from the Prim, but we don't really know for sure where IT and Dandelo(the IT like creature from The Dark Tower) originate from. Its very possible they're Todash monsters that aren't really directly connected with the Crimson King at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Possibly your local library

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Basebf555 posted:

The Crimson King seems to be some sort of demon spawn, and Stephen King always has made a distinction between the Prim, which is like his version of Hell and where demons live, and Todash space, which is like a dimensionless void between the worlds that is home to more Lovecraftian, incomprehensible monsters. A todash monster chases Roland and his group towards the end of The Dark Tower, and it bears a strong resemblance to the monsters that come out of the portal that is created by the Arrow Project in The Mist.

The Crimson King is like the Devil, he appears to rule over all the creatures from the Prim, but we don't really know for sure where IT and Dandelo(the IT like creature from The Dark Tower) originate from. Its very possible they're Todash monsters that aren't really directly connected with the Crimson King at all.

The comic series goes into a little more detail, showing flashbacks to Arthur Eld's court being corrupted by shapeshifters from the Prim. The Crimson King is the result of Eld getting in on with one of them, which is why he has a claim to be the heir of Eld and to return everything to the Prim.

The Prim is sort of weird, though; it's more a primordial magic that came before things had concrete form than something purely evil. But shapeshifters originate from it, and being that their nature is to be fluid in terms of form, that makes them hard to classify. There is a common association with spiders between It, the Crimson King, and Mordred, the King/Roland/Susannah's child.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hodgepodge posted:

There is a common association with spiders between It, the Crimson King, and Mordred, the King/Roland/Susannah's child.

This is why I really dislike King's reconning to place all his works in the same universe. The metaphysics presented in It are entirely different from TDT. The primal forces of the metaverse are the destructive aspect of It, the primal creative force of the Turtle, who incidentally vomits forth universes, and the unseen Other. Making an entire "species" of Its, especially when the other ones turn out to be amazingly lame and non-scary villains like Dandelo, weakens the entire structure and makes the entire work worse off than if it had stood entirely alone. Same thing with the Talisman, it was way better when the Territories were a unique creation, not just All-World again.

Sort of like how the Matrix sequels retroactively made the first film worse.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Even if he tries, King's works don't really hold up to worldbuilding, so trying to puzzle it out is kind of pointless. I always took the cross references in his books as easter eggs, not parallels.

Also still kind of pissed that the last Dark Tower books discount Insomnia because he didn't want the Crimson King to be a threatening figure anymore :mad:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

davidspackage posted:

Even if he tries, King's works don't really hold up to worldbuilding, so trying to puzzle it out is kind of pointless. I always took the cross references in his books as easter eggs, not parallels.

Also still kind of pissed that the last Dark Tower books discount Insomnia because he didn't want the Crimson King to be a threatening figure anymore :mad:

Insomnia's world building was pretty sweet; I like to think that level of metaphysical awareness is only accessible to the sleep deprived.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What're the odd if It getting a super special release that intertwines both movies after all is said and done?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Len posted:

What're the odd if It getting a super special release that intertwines both movies after all is said and done?

The best precedent I know is Kill Bill, so probably not good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jack Gladney posted:

The best precedent I know is Kill Bill, so probably not good.

Watchmen had the super extended cut with the black freight spliced back in

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bret Easton Ellis had Mick Garris on his podcast and while it was cool hearing him retell stories and the general banter between the two, I wish Ellis would've been a little bit more blunt when it came to Garris' movies. They just are not very good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

plz dont pull out posted:

Drunken Baker posted:

Same. As much as I love reading I've been trying to get into audiobooks as well for when I'm doing housework and the likes.

Speaking of relations to Pennywise, there's also the shapeshifting leech-lady in Library Poilce who feeds on children's fear. She might just be a distant cousin.

So this is a little late and maybe you already did it on your own but Audible has samples of course.
http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/It-Audiobook/B019WPM4ZM/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1493393549&sr=1-1

It's a frickin' long book but Weber was so good, I was caught up in every second of it. I mean, the story itself is good no doubt, but Weber brought it to life in a way I've seen few narrators accomplish.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 28, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I never read any of the DT stuff but I did read Insomnia (I thought it was good) and when th eCrimson King is defeated, the hero sees the Deadlights in his eyes, I think. It's been a while.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to imply a connection between IT and the CK, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I never read any of the DT stuff but I did read Insomnia (I thought it was good) and when th eCrimson King is defeated, the hero sees the Deadlights in his eyes, I think. It's been a while.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to imply a connection between IT and the CK, though.

Interesting, I haven't read Insomnia, I only know the basic outline of the story. I'd be curious how the Deadlights are described, I'm assuming King doesn't actually call them the Deadlights(in Insomnia)?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Interesting, I haven't read Insomnia, I only know the basic outline of the story. I'd be curious how the Deadlights are described, I'm assuming King doesn't actually call them the Deadlights(in Insomnia)?

He actually does call them deadlights in Insomnia. Here's the description

Insomnia posted:

Then something above them opened, revealing darkness shot through with conflicting swirls and rays of color. The wind seemed to blow the Crimson King up toward it, like a leaf in a chimney-flue. The colors began to brighten, and Ralph turned his face away, raising one hand to shield his eyes. He understood that a conduit had opened between the level where he was and the unimaginable levels stacked above it; he also understood that if he looked for long into that brightening glow, those

(deadlights)

swirling colors, then death would be not the worst thing that could happen to him but the best. He did not just squeeze his eyes shut; he squeezed his mind shut.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Okay I mis-remembered the scene quite a bit:

A sudden rush of force blew past him in a fan of wind and fading green light. He caught a strange, skewed glimpse of the Crimson King, no longer handsome and no longer young but ancient and twisted and less human than the strangest creature to ever flop or hop its way along the Short-Time level of existence. Then something above them opened, revealing darkness shot through with conflicting swirls and rays of color. The wind seemed to blow the Crimson King up toward it, like a leaf in a chimney-flue. The colors began to brighten, and Ralph turned his face away, raising one hand to shield his eyes. He understood that a conduit had opened between the level where he was and the unimaginable levels stacked above it; he also understood that if he looked for long into that brightening glow, those

(deadlights)

swirling colors, then death would be not the worst thing that could happen to him but the best. He did not just squeeze his eyes shut; he squeezed his mind shut.

As I recall, a much more informed King fan than myself explained Insomnia and IT's connection. There's this kid the CK is trying desperately to kill. I think he's supposed to be important in the end of Dark Tower. Anyway, you might recall that in IT there is the presence of the "Other" who is supporting the Losers. That Other is supposed to be some being named...Gen I think? He's like the big G God of Kingverse I think. He needed that kid alive but Pennywise of course loves eating kids so the Other helped the Losers get rid of her. Then the CK (who is aware of IT as he alludes to "shapeshifting being a Derry tradition") tries to take the kid out himself but, again, the boy is protected by an even higehr power.

The way Insomnia explained it, there is Purpose and Random. Everything from IT down to the truck driver who sped up and killed Gage in Pet Sematary (which I had just read right before Insominia...what a loving depressing book) is an agent of The Random ie. death and destruction and chaos. All the senseless brutality and suffering of the world is still part of an order. But then there's also the Losers and Ralph here and others who are agents of Purpose. The Turtle was probably an agent of Purpose, too.

edit:

beaten

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 28, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I've started re-reading It in preparation for this, since it's been well over a decade since I last read it, and I have to say that I really appreciate the simultaneous reveal of the children's story with the unfolding of the adults side of things as they also begin to recollect the past. But goddamn, the book is huge. I was going to get the e-book, but apparently it's terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

As I recall, a much more informed King fan than myself explained Insomnia and IT's connection. There's this kid the CK is trying desperately to kill. I think he's supposed to be important in the end of Dark Tower. Anyway, you might recall that in IT there is the presence of the "Other" who is supporting the Losers. That Other is supposed to be some being named...Gen I think? He's like the big G God of Kingverse I think. He needed that kid alive but Pennywise of course loves eating kids so the Other helped the Losers get rid of her. Then the CK (who is aware of IT as he alludes to "shapeshifting being a Derry tradition") tries to take the kid out himself but, again, the boy is protected by an even higehr power.

The way Insomnia explained it, there is Purpose and Random. Everything from IT down to the truck driver who sped up and killed Gage in Pet Sematary (which I had just read right before Insominia...what a loving depressing book) is an agent of The Random ie. death and destruction and chaos. All the senseless brutality and suffering of the world is still part of an order. But then there's also the Losers and Ralph here and others who are agents of Purpose. The Turtle was probably an agent of Purpose, too.

Yea, the kid I think is Patrick Danville, the one who has the power to erase the Crimson King from existence. In general the Crimson King is always after these powerful kids, either because they are a threat to him or because they can act as "Breakers". These Breakers are forced to use their psychic powers to bring down the beams that hold up all of reality, theoretically allowing the Prim to return and the Crimson King to rule over it all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
But in the DT novels, Insomnia is called out as not being trustworthy. It's like King couldn't figure out how to get it to dovetail with the rest of his works so he explicitly calls it out as non-canon.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I've started re-reading It in preparation for this, since it's been well over a decade since I last read it, and I have to say that I really appreciate the simultaneous reveal of the children's story with the unfolding of the adults side of things as they also begin to recollect the past. But goddamn, the book is huge. I was going to get the e-book, but apparently it's terrible.

How could an e-book be worse than the regular book?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

The formatting is supposedly all screwed up -- half a page will be italicized, tons of OCR typos, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been rereading it on my kindle and it's fine, the only thing I can think of is that the graphical stuff (i.e. the "IT" Stan writes in blood) has that kinda artifacty JPEG look, but that's par for the course for ebooks.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Welp, I shouldn't have listened to those reviews then, I suppose.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Here's a screencap I just took from my desktop kindle. I don't know but I think it could've turned out a little better.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is a little late and maybe you already did it on your own but Audible has samples of course.
http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/It-Audiobook/B019WPM4ZM/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1493393549&sr=1-1

It's a frickin' long book but Weber was so good, I was caught up in every second of it. I mean, the story itself is good no doubt, but Weber brought it to life in a way I've seen few narrators accomplish.

Doesn't get to the bit with Pennywise unfortunately, but thanks anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There is some version of the IT audiobook on YouTube. Not sure if it's the right one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FreudianSlippers posted:

There is some version of the IT audiobook on YouTube. Not sure if it's the right one.

It's not

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah I checked and the most complete version on youtube seems to be by some dude called Chuck Benson.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That guy's voice sounds straight out of some late 70s horror trailers, it's kind of great in a way.

But yeah, Steven Weber actually emotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Drunken Baker posted:

The Library Policeman was the most traumatizing thing I have EVER read. Four Past Midnight is probably the best collection of short stories King has ever written. I know this is CD, but if you haven't read this collection and you like King at all go get it.

• Locked thread