Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ty1990 posted:

They really can't keep *that scene* in the movie without the MPAA slapping it with an NC17 and effectively shutting that poo poo down...right?

There's no way that scene will be in the movie but I don't think it would be NC-17 if it was depending on how they film it. The War Zone came out in the US with an R rating and IIRC Lara Belmont was 19 at the time but still she's playing a 14 year old character and :wtc: that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think he reminds of my issue with Annabelle which does a lot to make it's doll look super creepy and forgets that dolls are creepy on their own.

They should have taken a cue from the short film horror masterpiece, DOOM HOUSE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBjr8Bm_wA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I noticed some talk about how Georgie's death will be shown in an ultraviolent manner and we'll actually see Pennywise as a Lovecraftian thing briefly as it happens. I'm not totally sure what I think about that. On the one hand I mean, of course that's stupid because at that point in the story you don't know who/what Pennywise is, and Georgie's body is actually found but IIRC just missing an arm but is otherwise intact. And that was part of what had the parents not giving a poo poo about the kids quite as much (along with all the other reasons regarding the town/It/etc.) since he died horribly but in just such a way that it got dismissed as a bizarre accident and the family was guilty about it because of the flooding and so on.

On the other hand...

While maybe not as pervasive as Hannibal Lecter or the Xenomorph, I can understand wanting to do stuff a little differently since everyone knows Pennywise is a monster and not a clown. And there's some potentially cool stuff they could do with it if they wanted to keep with the nightmarishness where maybe anyone who witnesses/is a victim of Pennywise sees horrifically violent stuff being done but when adults find the body it's like Georgie where one almost think its intact except for one part missing or something.

I don't know I'm skeptical that this might end up being more like a Nightmare on Elm Street movie or something, I still want to see this though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

it felt more like they didn't do enough takes or rehearsals

Probably came down to budgeting. I felt the part dealing with the kids was better in every way and it seemed like the second half was rushed.

This is a perfect description. There's so many deliveries (especially towards the very end) of the adult part that are like, that's what you went with? A shame.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Oh boy the kid playing the new Pennywise tries so hard to be scary, with the mean eyes and everything. Too bad Tim Curry only needed to literally play the clown part to be creepy as gently caress.

I'm curious to see how this will play out in the US vs. worldwide given how much/if at all people and kids today are or are not automatically freaked out by and/or amused by clowns/think to associate a clown with John Wayne Gacy etc. Like maybe them having Pennywise played this way is the right move overall?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AC/DC being canonically in the movie and getting killed early on is amazing. You see the black van with the AC/DC logo on it during the bridge scene and hear a "What the hell?" just as it gets crushed. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Peter Benchley's Jaws But With Squids.

The Beast! I remember being excited about that when I was younger because hey Jaws but with a giant squid. It was so bad, I don't know how the book went but I remember they introduce both the squid and the scientist obsessed with how there's a squid there (and no one believes him) way too early on. Like Jaws works great but this crosses a threshold into a situation where the very definite explanation that this giant squid is destroying people/boats is the only possibility but the characters all think they're in a murder mystery til like more than halfway through it.

I remember the really rough later 90s/early 00s wave of Stephen King made for TV adaptations too. Storm of the Century, Rose Red, Trucks (why would you even make this when Maximum Overdrive is flawless?) and another attempt at Carrie (unrelated to the original or The Rage: Carrie 2).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

An interview with King I saw gave the distinct impression pretty much all the encounters are going to be changed to reflect what kids in the 80's would be scared of instead of 50's universal monsters, which sounds amazing if they do it right. I want to see IT looking like a rotting Michael Myers, or Freddie, a clown version of the Xenomorph, leatherface with big orange pom poms on his front. I don't know how far they can go with that kind of stuff though, the 80's scary creature flicks are a lot more copyrighted than vampires, warewolves, mummies, etc.

Basebf555 posted:

I guess I just find it hard to believe that we could be this close to release and something like a Robert Englund as Freddy cameo hasn't leaked yet. That would be HUGE.

Uh you guys are missing the forest for the trees here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KCAGzNv_QI

Like you could make an entire 80s kid nightmare gallery out of drug war PSAs and PSAs where the father is talking to his kid about everything that happened in Vietnam and that other one about the marine with the yellow walls on either side where he's not vigilant for a second and a billion hands stretch out of each. You could probably get every single thing like that playing on a TV at some point and it would own.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

They mention it during the adult portion:

Michael Fassbender dressed as a clown.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Why did IT just rip off Georgie's arm? Did he fill up on breadsticks or something?

I haven't read the book in forever but I always had the impression that IT kills and satiates itself by draining its prey in some weird psychic/spiritual/emotional kind of way in addition to physically eating a meal.

But I think it was also just to have that gnawing in the characters' heads of obviously this kid didn't drown and something beyond awful was done to him by something awful ( :haw: ) but we're just going to forget that and say he drowned. The town being a poo poo town with a lot of poo poo people in it plays a huge part in the story so that makes sense to me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IT made $60 million this weekend, giving it the biggest second week of all time for a horror film. I'm so happy this movie is doing great but I hope part two isn't rushed out.

https://dailydead.com/it-floats-atop-the-box-office-with-largest-second-weekend-in-horror-film-history/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is the sequel going to be called IT II? I hope they go with Sometimes IT Comes Back or IT Followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The IT Crowd.

• Locked thread