Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

No way do I want to see Freddie Kruger in this. That would be super anachronistic and totally out of place.

Oh god I just had a vision of this scene with Pennywise and a Nightmare poster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFM--jk_SMc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ozza posted:

Here's an oral history of the miniseries that I found more interesting than the miniseries itself: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/back-to-derry-an-oral-history-of-stephen-kings-153351801.html

There's good stuff in there about how the spider ended up looking so horrid.

quote:

Originally published in 1986, It held the distinction of being Stephen King’s longest novel at the time, weighing in at 1,138 pages. (The unabridged version of The Stand later surpassed it by 14 pages. Under the Dome is a close third at a page count of 1,074.)

Jesus Christ, really? I read Under the Dome as an ebook so that length never registered with me. It's amazing how a book almost as long as the others could have so little stuff in it worth remembering. I'd have sworn it was only about 400 pages.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

There is a common association with spiders between It, the Crimson King, and Mordred, the King/Roland/Susannah's child.

This is why I really dislike King's reconning to place all his works in the same universe. The metaphysics presented in It are entirely different from TDT. The primal forces of the metaverse are the destructive aspect of It, the primal creative force of the Turtle, who incidentally vomits forth universes, and the unseen Other. Making an entire "species" of Its, especially when the other ones turn out to be amazingly lame and non-scary villains like Dandelo, weakens the entire structure and makes the entire work worse off than if it had stood entirely alone. Same thing with the Talisman, it was way better when the Territories were a unique creation, not just All-World again.

Sort of like how the Matrix sequels retroactively made the first film worse.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

But in the DT novels, Insomnia is called out as not being trustworthy. It's like King couldn't figure out how to get it to dovetail with the rest of his works so he explicitly calls it out as non-canon.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

I can recall one turtle reference around this scene in the novel. When Georgie goes to the basement to get the wax for the paper boat, the jar is labelled something like Turtle Brand Wax.

That's an actual product, and would have been back then, too:

https://www.turtlewax.com/

• Locked thread