Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
IT may be my favorite of King's books. The interweaving of past and present works so well with the characters gradually remembering what happened in the past. And all the bizarre details, like how Pennywise has an alias as Bob Gray, or at one point is present at a huge shoot-out in the past and is noticed to cast no shadow. There's so much in there, maybe the only way to tell it completely in motion would be a one or two season TV series.

I don't want to get my hopes up too high, it'll be very hard to forget Tim Curry's performance, but I hope they manage something distinct.

(Trying to sort of move the thread along, here...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The 90s miniseries has a weird tempo. Especially in the first half, it feels like they're rushing to cram as much exposition in as few lines as they can, and yet they found time to put in at least three lengthy musical montages. I read that the original idea was to make it twice as long, but the studio understandingly got cold feet.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every time I see this thread I read the title as "We all float ITT".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I just hope they don't pull any of that Canadian bullshit.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Even if he tries, King's works don't really hold up to worldbuilding, so trying to puzzle it out is kind of pointless. I always took the cross references in his books as easter eggs, not parallels.

Also still kind of pissed that the last Dark Tower books discount Insomnia because he didn't want the Crimson King to be a threatening figure anymore :mad:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Still looks promising. Isn't gray water the runoff of like washing machines and drains, but not piss & shitwater?

Having just finished reading the book again, I'm a little sad they're doing the same thing as the miniseries by splitting the plots; having the kids' and adults' stories converge at the conclusion is so amazingly tense.

Also holy poo poo is the part where they start forgetting each other again sad :(

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

Yeah, it's water excluding sewage, but they're kids, so they are pretty unreliable narrators when it comes to urban facts.

That's true. I just remembered that in the book, officer Nell explains it to them specifically.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

The history of Derry sections are definitely some of the best in the book, especially of the stuff that didn't make it into the original miniseries.

Yeah, and I feel there's a great buildup in them too. First they're about how Derry is prone to big, horrible events and fits of evil, then some about weird group behavior, and finally the story of Claude the logger just slaughtering a couple of folks in a crowded bar while nobody bats an eye, to drive home the fact that It can just make people in Derry look the other way.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

holy poo poo I just saw Pennywise manifest himself as the last couple of pages of this thread

I saw 50 new replies and assumed there was some news. Then I noticed the posters were all dressed in silver diapers with big orange pompoms running down the front...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus.

Since that's made it the elephant in the room once more, has King himself ever offered any comment on the It sewer gangbang? Like "I was really hosed up on drugs, sorry" or "people fail to grasp the metaphor"?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

I present to you the mental image of Violent J wearing Victorian-era bloomers.

loving kids, how do they float

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's pretty nuts. He came up with the Richard Bachman pseudonym just to release more books in a year, I believe.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The only one of his adaptations that I've heard King be negative about is the Shining, and aside from the disagreement about the movie's version of his story, he might've hated Kubrick for poo poo like calling him in the middle of the night to ask him if he believed in God. Overall I think he's just excited every time a book of his is filmed, regardless of quality.

Or maybe, more cynically, it puts a lot of cash in his pocket, and he is a blue collar writer who came up from having very little.

Comparing Skarsgard to Ledger's Joker here seems very on the money, it's a cartoonish, very dedicated performance. This clip is giving me a very good vibe for the movie. September's close...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did King do a cameo in the Dark Tower movie, by the way? I hope he pops up in this one, that always cracks me up.

Weirdest was in the Stand, where he actually had a minor character part.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*shitghosts

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I noticed a shot in the trailer of one of the kids floating in what looked like Its lair. I hope we get a full on ritual of Chüd, I imagine it as mostly blackness with the kids' voices and Its voice talking, maybe some sounds and flashes to indicate It is tossing their consciousness around. Can't wait.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thoughts after just coming out of the movie: very good. Pennywise stands very well apart from the 90s version, which is the result of a good performance and effects work. Really get the idea that he's an alien wearing a clown skin. The kids are great and some moments really had me raising eyebrows at how brutal they were. I did think the movie was often literally too dark, as in I couldn't see what the director probably wanted me to see. That and the sometimes frantic camerawork didn't help.

The overall changes didn't bug me. I thought Richie was a bit too crude for a while until I considered that's how a kid would have to talk in the 80s to earn the Trashmouth name. Bev getting kidnapped to unite the gang didn't incense me, but it was kind of cheesy and unworthy of the film. While it was used to illustrate that It doesn't feed unless his prey is terrified, I felt like that was kind of a copout - part of the horror is that when It gets you, you're dead. The good thing about those changes is that it made me doubtful a few times, like I legit thought Stan was going to die.

As long as the movie was, I wish it was a lot longer. Could've used more time with Ben, Mike, and Henry, I felt. I hope there's a lot of deleted material we may see. Don't think there's much new flashback material for the sequel, because the narrative never felt interrupted.

I didn't like literally floating kids - I don't know if they were supposed to be dead, or just deadlighted like Bev, but I like the bleak, hopeless revenge horror of It better than the idea they're saving the kids. And the final confrontation contained again too frantic CG, taking away the visceral violence they were going for.

In short: some beefs, but overall a great take on the book. Feels like chapter 2 (IIT?) is going to have to further deviate from the book to fill time, though.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 10, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh also, I'm curious if the Losers' roles will be mixed up for the sequel, like Bill seems like he could become the architect, Ben the historian who stays behind. It made me wonder if King ever considered having Bill kill himself instead of Stan, and have the Losers have to fight It without their Leader.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I want to reiterate what a great idea it was for Stan to be afraid of a painting. I think lots of people have something from their childhood, like a painting hanging in your grandparents' house, or a woodcarving or statue, that got in your head and freaked you out. My childhood best friend and I exchanged stamps sometimes, and once I gave him back a stamp with a googly-eyed tribal mask on it because it gave me a nightmare.

On an unrelated note, though I didn't like Bev's kidnapping, I never felt like she was in distress. She was consistently the toughest character.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

Beverly Marsh in IT 2017--------->Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat 1995

Well, at least Pennywise didn't put her in a leather dress and a lot of hairspray.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The thing that bugs me about Bev's kidnapping is really that the Losers are broken up in the first place. They're brought together by this mysterious force and make this mysterious force together, and their combined love and fear leads them to fight Pennywise, who is bewildered that these kids are coming for him even though they're still scared of him. Then when they grow up it's doubtful whether they can recreate that power, being old and drifted apart and one guy short.

I get that idiot studio boss was like "nooo movies work like *this*" and dusted off a stupid old cliché, but I feel the movie would've worked just fine without it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Richie's fear of clowns definitely felt like a shortcut. 'Let's just skip straight to the end for him.'

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I would be amused if the pharmacy girl ends up being grown up Eddie's wife.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

As someone who hasn't read /seen the original, I'm just wondering how It is supposed to be scary in the second part when it's already been defeated once by a bunch of unprepared kids who have overcome their fear of him. I suppose adults could have a different set of fears, but the 'Chapter 1' honestly felt weird.

This is what kind of bugs me about how they changed things in the final confrontation; in the novel, the kids don't conquer their fear of It, they just persevere despite their absolute terror. And they defeat It with conviction in make-belief weapons and methods. If you take that out, the adult confrontation loses most or all of its tension.

Der Shovel posted:

My favourite things in the movie were probably the headless burned kid in the library, because the jerky way it was moving and the way its hands were twisted into these weird claws looked so loving disturbing

I think that's a real thing too, something about the muscles contracting when people burn.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I had no kids in the theater, but two seats over were two guys with one constantly pointing out book stuff to the other and overexplaining poo poo. It was annoying, but not half as annoying as I imagined it was to the guy's friend, who never said a word in response.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In older enounters (the fire at the Black Spot) Pennywise is mentioned to take adult victims as a bird. He starts picking mainly child victims because they're easier to scare.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Petr posted:

This made no sense to me, by the way, because the bird form is explained late in the book as an unconscious recollection Mike had as a baby. The early scene implies there's a connection between the Black Spot bird form and the one Mike saw, but chronologically it doesn't make sense.

I kind of took that in stride, as deliberate for weirdness's sake, and a vague implication that (perception of) time wasn't the same for It.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
On rewatch of IT, the repeated BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA COMIN' ATCHA moments do kinda ruin it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nothing personal, my legs just got tired from jumping up and shouting OH poo poo WADDUP

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I had to google the guy, but interesting change if Eddie grows up to be a beefcake (resemblance is uncanny, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That was a joke worthy of Stephen King.

• Locked thread