Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah the key is they are normal people who AREN'T being brainwashed

I'm gearing up to reread the book, but I think it's a little of both, which makes it even more effective: some of them are being subconsciously influenced by this ancient evil, and some of them are just pricks. King does a great job in general, but especially in that book, of juxtaposing supernatural evil with very human evil. Like Jack in the Shining; the hotel makes him worse, but the bad parts are already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

It's sort of a literalism thing. Cthulhu the clown is "influencing" them, but he's a metaphor and nothing they do is outside the realm of normal human behavior. So they're brainwashed by the deadlights and/or social conformity, exploitative atomization, privacy as opposite of community, whatever. Pennywise is ultimately no better an excuse for being evil than all that poo poo.

Yeah it also leads to an interesting "which came first?" thing that the book touches on in its more cosmic moments.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Extending that metaphor, King is questioning whether society sucks because humans suck, or humans suck because their society is incidentally hosed. He's a fairly cynical guy but seems to come down for the latter more often than the former.

It's interesting because he definitely is capable of portraying some of the bleakest, darkest things of which humanity is capable (like the stuff about the young budding serial killer in It, Jesus) but in interviews and stuff like On Writing he seems pretty quick to describe himself as essentially an optimist, which feels unusual for the horror genre. I think you're right about what side he comes down on there though, he's definitely distrustful of institutions, but is willing to go to bat for the essential goodness of people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think it's probably safe to say King was aware of both, they were both big stories and as was mentioned the Cheryl Araujo case did occur in New England.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It doesn't reflect the racism angle of the Black Spot fire, but I used to freak myself out as a kid reading/hearing stories about The Cocoanut Grove fire. Nightclub fires are scary as hell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You don't have to read/imagine about it. Just watch the video of the Station Nightclub Fire as it happened to be permanently scared for life.

The Station Fire was definitely horrible but the sheer volume of the Cocoanut Grove fire (almost 500 people) is insane. And there were so many ways it could've been prevented, too - it's where a lot of modern fire safety rules come from. You know, if we're ranking horrible tragedies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I used to get really freaked out by the VHS cover for Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II which is funny in retrospect (it's the Breakfast Club parody one).

Edit:oops

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 7, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hey this thread can be a second horror thread too, why not!

Whoops, I can see you're all floating in here, I'll see myself out

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The other one is The Giant Claw, right?

I really like that some of the forms it takes are from movies that are stupid through adult eyes but could freak out a child.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I misremembered the giant bird as being from The Giant Claw but I just got to that part in my reread of the book and it's actually supposed to be Rodan.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

davidspackage posted:

The 90s miniseries has a weird tempo. Especially in the first half, it feels like they're rushing to cram as much exposition in as few lines as they can, and yet they found time to put in at least three lengthy musical montages. I read that the original idea was to make it twice as long, but the studio understandingly got cold feet.

I just rewatched it and the musical montages are actually some of the best stuff, they did a better job than I remembered at nailing the vibe of the cast being old friends.

Drunken Baker posted:

I really want to re-watch the old TV film, but I get the feeling like maybe it wont hold up at all. I can only remember a few scant scenes like Belch(?) being pulled through a drain bent in half and that really freaked me out when i saw it.

It's definitely a little hokey, but it was better than I remembered. But yeah, the ending still sucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally I'm a big fan of the book and I think splitting it into those two distinct parts is the best way to do it. The parallel narratives work really well in the novel but on film I think it'd be pretty clunky and sap the momentum (see: the miniseries)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've been rereading it on my kindle and it's fine, the only thing I can think of is that the graphical stuff (i.e. the "IT" Stan writes in blood) has that kinda artifacty JPEG look, but that's par for the course for ebooks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nroo posted:

So is Mama any good? I'd never heard of Muschietti before this but everything in these trailers has looked very promising. Though I'm sure Chung Chung-hoon's cinematography helped a lot..

I didn't love it, but it was decent. Muschietti can definitely set up and execute a good scare scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What looks bad about the IT trailers? I've been blown away by them and I have barely the slightest interest in the project as it is.

People are really reading into the very, very little we've seen of Pennywise. I have minor reservations, but I think it looks great too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare on Elm Street rules and is a very good blueprint for an IT movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kevyn posted:

There's no way the poster doesn't feature a scary clown face front and center.

Edit: speaking of that, I bought the ebook about a year ago and this is what the "cover" looks like now. Awful.

I don't mind that cover but the boat in the storm drain is really hard to beat

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Clive Barker's Stephen King's IT

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Hockstetter's death is the scariest of all the child deaths, to me.

I have a big phobia about large parasites, like leeches and such. Those flying leech things hit every single nopenopenope response in my brain.

It's also written through the lens of Hockstetter's mental illness, which gives the entire scene this otherworldly air. And near the end, I seem to recall him realizing that this is actually happening. His horror at that realization is just as freaky as the form IT took.

I love that chapter as much as I hate it.

Or is it just me? What say those of you without my phobia?

Yeah that's definitely the most horrifying/disturbing part of the novel to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am absolutely blown away how good this looks cinematography-wise.

don't bet against Chung-hoon Chung shooting a great looking movie. Stoker has some of my favorite cinematography of the decade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nroo posted:

The Handmaiden also had immaculate cinematography. And Muschietti has shown a penchant for some really striking imagery in Mama, which helped elevate that movie a lot. It's a great combination for It.

Yeah The Handmaiden had some shots that took my breath away, particularly when they're on the rowboat in the fog.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

For me the movie adaptation wasn't good as a King adaptation but as a Kubrick work it was good if that makes sense, so I enjoy it more as a Kubrick film. The miniseries adaptation was a skosh better in some aspects but still suffers from the limitations of being a TV miniseries. I'd love to see a fairly faithful adaptation of The Shining, but which director would be able to pull that off?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jeff Nichols directing, Michael Shannon starring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bruteman posted:

I'll be honest, I don't get the dislike for Jamey Sheridan as Flagg, I thought he was fine. Flagg is cheesy as hell in the book 90 percent of the time when he's not doing dark magic poo poo, and I thought Sheridan did that stuff well. What screws him is them insisting on "let's give him CGI devil face" anytime he got mad and it looks bad, I think it's clear Sheridan was perfectly capable of doing the abrupt mood switches without that.

He's my favorite part of the miniseries. He nails friendly-evil.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

And he hated The Shining.

not really

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

Stanley Kubrick is one of the best directors of all time and he took a middling novel from an author who writes airport trash for the masses and elevated it into what is widely considered to be one of the best horror films ever.

They're both okay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

porfiria posted:

King will probably be around in 100 years, but I don't know about Shakespeare. Maybe Dickens.

Dickens is definitely a much more apt comparison than Shakespeare, yeah.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The way King names characters is extremely Dickensian, as a bonus.

Can you expand on this? I've read a lot of King but only a little Dickens.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's not quite as lurid as Dickens, Scrooge, for example is such an evocative name that it ended up in the dictionary. Other examples are Cratchit, Sowerberry, Stryver (talk about on the nose), Havisham for a twisted, covetous, bitter old woman, etc.

But names like Jack Torrance, Carrie White, Randall Flagg, Kurt Barlow, John Smith etc. are definitely in that tradition, even if not quite as fanciful.

Naming characters is such a specific skill, one that I was never very good at in my own fiction writing. Stu Redman is a good one too. I was also talking with someone the other day about how much I love Church (short for Winston Churchill) as the name of the cat in Pet Sematary. Cujo, for that matter, is a name I'm pretty sure King invented whole cloth that may not be in the dictionary but might as well be.

edit: I misremembered, actually Cujo was the assumed name of one of the dudes in the Symbionese Liberation Army, which is almost even better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cujo is a particularly inspired name.

It's generally accepted as an essential writing skill, but I always associate it with Dickens because the symbolism of his character's names was always so striking. Cronenberg is also incredible at this with his pseudo-anagrammatic naming convention, who else would come up with poo poo like Stathis Borans?

Or Seth Brundle for that matter.

A funny anecdote that connects the two is that Cronenberg had to really be sold on directing The Dead Zone because "I would never name a character Johnny Smith."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I do like that they specifiy that although Ritchie has been doing his voices for as long as anyone can remember they were complete poo poo when he was a kid.

Yeah I love that touch in the book.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going on Thursday night :getin:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it definitely has to be said that the marketing machine for this movie has been off the hook. plus it feels a little like a right place/right time thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I say this a lot but horror is in a really cool spot right now. I mean the other big surprise runaway success this year was Get Out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nroo posted:

Just loving realized the movie made Mike a Killer of Sheep...

drat, can't believe I missed that.

I did think his fire backstory was kinda half-assed compared to the Black Spot backstory they were clearly originally intending. I have a lot of litte fannish nitpicks like that, but I still thought the movie was great overall, glad it felt empowered to be its own thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Stan's fear was by far the creepiest and something I could totally relate to.

that was definitely one of my favorite things they added for the movie, super well done.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll bet seeing it in IMAX would be pretty cool, it's definitely a good big screen movie. Visually spectacular and some of those scare moments that fill up the whole frame really kill (GIANT PENNYWISE especially)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I know some stuff had to go but I really wish we got more Hockstetter because the actor playing him was great and his death scene was the scariest part of the book for me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That does bring up another fairly minor nitpick I had:

I kinda prefer Georgie being found with his arm mysteriously torn off and the people of Derry just sort of accepting it as a freak accident instead of looking further into it to the movie's "Georgie is still out there somewhere and I'm gonna find him!" plot

There were some other fun hints to Derry's weird and hosed up adults though, like the couple just driving by and doing nothing when the Bowers gang is beating up Ben.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey is the painting Stan was terrified of real?

As real as you want it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can safely say I would not have wanted Pennywise to be more of a character in this movie.

I wouldn't have minded some more of the imagination-based fighting against Pennywise, but it also would make sense if they're saving the bulk of that stuff for the sequel. Kinda has more of an impact if the adults have to revert to childlike behavior when they fight It again.

• Locked thread