Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

^ I thought that was from a script that isn't being produced.^
Yeah, I think it just takes away from the book if you simply write off the adult characters as being normal people being brainwashed. Part of it is that a lot of the metaphor of It is how unreasonable adults seem to kids. Sometimes it's because the pressures of the real world trap adults into patterns of poo poo that realize is silly or even wrong when they take a step back from it and sometimes it's because adults are just being selfish assholes. And sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

I think one possible point of inspiration for IT was the famous case of a woman being sexually assualted on a pool table, while the patrons of the bar watched. It was in MA, and plausibly before the book was written, and it was huge in the time. I think the town was even called something like Derry? This is just off the top of my head. But the everyday malevolence of small towns is the biggest King theme (though I've only read like 6 or so of his books).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yes. Exactly.

The worst was giant full costumed adults where you can't even see their faces. Chuck E Cheese was an absolute nightmare for me. It's a fun place for kids to play games, but don't let your mind wander off the monster lurking around any corner, looking for you. Only you.

Yeesh.

I had to dress up as Chuckie for 6 months and the sheer terror felt by toddlers in my presence was the highlight of my job.

• Locked thread