Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LadyPictureShow posted:

The trailer also has a quick shot of what looks like blood spewing out of Bev's sink.

Got around to giving IT a re-watch, and I feel like what I watched was edited way down. Scenes like IT digging the graves, Bill seeing Stan's head in the fridge, Richie's vision of IT in the library were all gone. Anybody know what's up with that? Did they make an edited version to fit the runtime of a regular movie or something for re-airing it?

They must have because the version I watched a couple weeks ago had all that in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Apparently people on Twitter are starting to twig on to the fact that this version of IT is coming out 27 years after the mini-series.

Yeah it popped up in my Now feed yesterday with a clickbait article titled "The scariest thing about the new IT movie"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't read it but I am working through the audiobook and at almost 11 hours in the adults still haven't made it back to Derry in the and kids haven't even all gotten together as a group yet. It's definitely a slow burn

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SimonCat posted:

Re-watching the TV movie. Forgot about the Irish cop in the movie. They're hanging out by the river and Paddy McStereotype stops by.

It's so random and out of nowhere I half expected it to be Pennywise.

The audiobook is really good since the guy is actually emoting during it. I've listened to some real poo poo audiobooks where the person just drones and I expected that from this one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there anywhere I can hear a sample of Steven Weber as Pennywise? I don't want to get the entire audiobook for it.

Possibly your local library

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What're the odd if It getting a super special release that intertwines both movies after all is said and done?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jack Gladney posted:

The best precedent I know is Kill Bill, so probably not good.

Watchmen had the super extended cut with the black freight spliced back in

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally hit that spot towards the end. Having a guy read me a scene about a preteen orgy is even more awkward than I expected it to be

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not the best part of the job, I guess.

"Well, time to describe various pre-teen cocks." :: thinks back to the fart-lighting scene :: "I mean, again."

I already am not a big fan of sex scenes in books because they're always awkward and don't feel like they add much. But did I really need to know that Ben had the biggest thing and that it made her hurt and feel like she was flying? No. No I did not coked up Stephen King.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It felt like everyone who saw Pennywise as a clown was unnerved by him. There were little tidbits of photographs with kids where they were staring at him with a look of unease. The first time Ben saw him he was like "none of this makes sense for a clown to be doing. This isn't right." Pennywise is a clown but a really unconvincing one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

People are really reading into the very, very little we've seen of Pennywise. I have minor reservations, but I think it looks great too.

That's the way of things. Goons see a little bit and then flip out saying it's trash or the greatest thing ever. It's hilarious seeing it over in Games because if you read the Resident Evil thread it goes from people 100% sure the game is trash and just an Amnesia/Outlast clone to universal praise because it's actually a good and fun game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kawabata posted:

The trailer(s) is the only thing we can base our opinions on and frankly it looks like poo poo for an IT movie. It would probably look ok for your run of the mill jump scare horror. Pennywise actor's too young, tries too hard, and the scene with him spinning out of the water screaming is just silly.

Yes, the clown looks too evil, and blatantly so. In the book (and in the mini tv series to an extent) Pennywise looked "wrong" and creepy but not downright evil other than in a few scenes.

That said the movie has a good director so hey let's hope I'm wrong here.

So the what combined three minutes of scenes of the clown cut by the marketing department not the director is enough to confirm the movie is bad and It is a terrible try hard clown?

Because that makes perfect sense.

They don't have any reason to show Pennywise not looking evil because drat near everyone knows It as "the evil clown movie" (I've never met anyone irl who calls it a miniseries) so they're showing the evil clown

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nroo posted:

This new Pennywise fits that description pretty well. And the trailers show they're doing the opening scene where he tries to lure Georgie into the sewer. What's so confusing?

The trailers aren't showing Scary Clown Movie as Happy Clown Movie With A Twist it sounds like

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kawabata posted:

The way the main character (one of the most iconic characters in the entire horror genre) looks obviously has to do with the tone of the new movie and isn't inconsequential at all. It's glaringly obvious that they went for a darker, younger look and I doubt it's because "a multi-colored suit wouldn't film well". It would totally film well in a movie that doesn't look this grim.

Now I don't know how this Pennywise lures children with a 24/7 murder face, but in the interest of conversation, whether the casting of Skarsgard was right or not we at least know the actor is good and might pull it off. Being a big King fan I'd rather be wrong and watch a good movie than the opposite, but still wish they didn't change this much of Pennywise's feel because as good as Curry was, there were times where he was a bit too light and istrionic. So I absolutely welcomed a darker interpretation when the new IT was announced, just not as hamfisted as it looks in the little material we have.

Yes because from the multiple seconds of video we've seen we can extrapolate that he has a murder face on 24/7.

I'm going to start using that for comedy movies. "Oh the trailers made me laugh so this movie is a non-stop laugh riot!" since that is pretty much your argument right now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In the book he did it with his weird otherwordly magic (Georgie) and by just straight up going murder beast on every other one we were given details on. There was no luring of Eddie Cochran he just showed up as his dead brother and ate him. There was no leadup for Patrick either just one day he opened the fridge and got eaten by leeches.

Hell the only time he didn't go straight to murderbeast that I remember was Ben and even then he wasn't a happy clown. He had no shadow and was holding balloons that flew against the wind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

No, there aren't. But it's gotten to the point where Curry's performance has cemented the character as much as King's novel so people have forgotten what they read.

I just finished the book and I couldn't remember any other than that.

Does he show up as a clown and not murder people? Yes but at no point are any of the descriptions favorable that he's a good happy thing.

There's that flashback photo where the description says the kids are staring at him like they're afraid while adults ignore him.
Ben seeing him on the ice with no shadow holding balloons that float against the wind.
The bit about that gun fight where multiple people reported seeing a clown only they all saw him in different places and in varying states of :wtc: I believe one of them said he was leaning out of a window shooting guns at the baddies only he was hanging out the window from the knees up and not casting a shadow.

I'm honestly not sure where happy venus flytrap clown is coming from.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Timeless Appeal posted:

From the really definitive and iconic scene that most people remember.

So like 5 minutes of the miniseries and maybe ten pages of the monstrous book?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

I am like 90% sure that's a troll and 'that scene' is referring to the scene from the trailer where they're hopping into the river.

Or went in the sewers. Or any scene where they could get wet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gotta get them pedo dollars I guess

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spite posted:

The director said they aren't showing pennywise much until the last 3rd of the movie and they are emphasizing the shapeshifting (and he'll have more than one voice).

http://collider.com/it-movie-spoilers-things-to-know

So who knows what that means.

It means he's a lying liar because the movie is a slasher flick about a clown

:goonsay:

But serious post I'm super excited to see this and I really wish I could get the girlfriend to go but she refuses.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was that a Lego turtle that Bill drops when he sees Georgie in the house at night? Around the 1:17 mark in the new trailer.

I read an article that the turtle will be a Lego and be important at some scene we have to see the movie to know about

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I watched most of it. Gave away too much. Kill me.

Pennywise was outstanding though.

Like others asked how did it give away anything you didn't already know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, did King write a second prepubescent sex scene? I've never read the book.

Prepubescent bully jerkoff section is literally a thing that happens yes.

• Locked thread