Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IT turns into Torgo and limps around looking confused for a while making the kids feel a bit sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember enjoying the first part of the TV film but thinking the second part with the adults was pretty dull.

I´m now listening to the audio book and it's amazing how much better it works when the two stories are intertwined instead of being separate. Which is why I'm a bit worried the same will apply to this new film, that is to say that the first film will be very good while the adult part is alright at best.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There is some version of the IT audiobook on YouTube. Not sure if it's the right one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah I checked and the most complete version on youtube seems to be by some dude called Chuck Benson.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the creepiest parts of the Mummy II was when they were at the museum and all the scrub mummies are resurrected along with the titular Mummy. Those guys looked a lot spookier than the actual villain of the film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

LadyPictureShow posted:

That's the problem with trailers; you have to sell the audience on it in about 90 seconds, so of course you're gonna go 'spooky scary evil murder clown jumpscare' and I guess try to ride off of that whole 'scary clown' craze that was happening, what, last year?

I know it wasn't a huge plot thing, but with the time shift, Ben's dad dying in the Korean War will now be Ben's dad dying in ???. That was one of the more eerie scenes in the miniseries, when It appears as his dad, in uniform, at first it's normal, but in the next shot he's holding balloons and has big orange pompoms on the suit.

His dad dies in Vietnam 2: Electric Boogaloo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or alternatively he's one of the 19 guys killed during the invasion of Grenada.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

King was literally living in a trailer and barely making ends meet before he sold Carrie. I read a interview once where he said that if his wife had asked him to give up writing so he could focus on his his day job he would've done so without hesitation but she was extremely supportive and when he threw the manuscript for Carrie in the trash because he had lost faith in it she fished it out and convinced him to finish it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Night Flier is severly underrated. Now it's not in the same league as say Creepshow, Carrie, Dead Zone, Christine, the Shining, and the Mist but it's still drat enjoyable. It has the most memorable vampire design I've seen in any movie ever, aside from maybe Nosferatu. The main character, portrayed with gusto by Miguel Ferrer, is a massive rear end in a top hat. At times it feels like a proto-Nightcrawler since the protagonist is a amoral photographer who will do anything for the most sensational shots including intruding on a scene of an accident.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't one of the clips from the trailer them wading into a sewer pipe and one of them, probably Eddie, standing on dry land and telling the others they're swimming in human waste and are all gonna die from Cholera?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He thought it was a good film but a bad adaptation of a story that was very personal to him.

He was also probably annoyed by Kubrick ringing him up in the dead of night to ask him stuff like if he believed in God and if he agreed that ghost stories were inherently optimistic because they assumed there was some sort of afterlife.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the introduction to Salem's Lot he talks about how his mom thought a lot of what he read as a kid, Dracula, E.C. horror comics, and stuff along those lines, was trash but she didn't mind him reading it as long as it wasn't "bad trash". He then goes on to say that if his mother had lived to read the book she would've considered it trash but not bad trash.

I think he is fully aware that he is basically the king of the pulp writers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yaws posted:

I dunno, I was piss drunk when I wrote that lol

That's the Stephen King way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm listening to the audiobook of this and poo poo man. Ritchie just did one of his racist audio-blackface voices in 1985, right in front of Mike no less, and no one went "Woah! What the gently caress Ritchie?!?". I mean it was 1985 but surely someone would've said something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I do like that they specifiy that although Ritchie has been doing his voices for as long as anyone can remember they were complete poo poo when he was a kid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This was a thing in the book as well. The skateboarding kid, or sk8er boi if you prefer, that Bill talks to tells him that his friend says Jaws is the one who has been killing all the kids and he knows because it came out of the canal and tried to eat him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And make it look as cool as the comic it's based on:

I love how much King's love of EC horror comics just shines through in his work. His best short stores wouldn't be at all out of place in Tales From the Crypt, Vault of Horror or Haunt of Fear.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IT: The Ghost Dimension
IT: The Second Story
2 I 2 T

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The post credit scene will be Cousin Itt from the Addams Family showing up in the sewers to talk to Pennywise. The IT Cinematic Universe or ICU.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just realized that both It and Twin Peaks are about a series of murders and paranormal events in a small lumber town and in both cases someone named Bob plays a very prominent role.

Not really anything in common other than that but it's a weird set of commonalities.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yaws posted:

Imagine this. They cut to IT lunging at Gerogie and he screams. Later on, a character informs us that IT ripped off the kids arm.

Is that not good enough for you? Do you really need to ACTUALLY SEE a six year olds arm being ripped off?

Christ, a little subtlety goes a long loving way.

But no, imagination and filling in the blanks is out the door. We need to see this poo poo! I want to SEE a six year old writing in pain! I'm hardcore goddammit!

This but unironically

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I no-joke created a playlist for the drive to the theater that included:
Float On
- Modest Mouse
Up, Up, and Away - 5th Dimension
Oooh Child - The Five Stairsteps
99 Luftbaloon - Nena

My friend who had no prior knowledge about the film other than that it is about a evil clown and has kid main characters was a bit puzzled by Float On.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 20, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It consumes fear, probably just as much or even more than it eats flesh. So by drawing things out and scaring them again and again It can get more bang for its buck.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

NienNunb posted:

Hi I don’t know what the general consensus on this scene is but the part where Pennywise dances is the least scary scene in any horror movie ever made.

I think it isn't really suppose to be scary. It felt more like a absurd comedic moment to me at least.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

End of Shoelace posted:

I saw IT. I liked parts of it, some I didnt like. I would have liked if the clown acted differently. They should have made it more like the book. Why didnt they make the clown visible to adults?

Now to wait for part 2!

I'm pretty sure It and everything It creates is invisible to adults in the books. Like there is a scene where he shows up as a gigantic statue and there is a dad with a small child near It who is completely oblivious to the several story tall plastic clown monster towering over him but his toddler freaks the gently caress out.

They pretty much needed to have the clown be as different as possible since if they had tried to ape Curry's iconic performance it would have felt forced and wrong. It's a bit like Christopher Lee's Dracula vs Bela Lugosi's. They're both Dracula and do Dracula stuff but the way they act is totally different. Lee leans a lot more into the nocturnal predator aspect of Dracula and Bela Lugosi more into the exotic nobleman aspect. Both are great in their own way.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 28, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I only remember the gang massacre, the hate crime and a few times It makes itself visible in order to scare specific people. Not counting the times It appears to the adult Losers because the Losers are different.

But I am open to the possibility that I am full of poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

End of Shoelace posted:

why didnt any of the adults help the kids? they should have, it doesnt make sense

"Don't trust anyone over 30"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe It was panicking because the only people to ever stop It were back and wanted to ensure that It's dying race wouldn't die out completely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SwissCM posted:

I think by the time I saw the first shot of the Munster house I checked out. What a lovely movie.

It was spooky as gently caress you philistine!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You fools! If you dear nothing then It will simply take the form of nothing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Leper is just Javier Botet with some make-up.

He was also the Crooked Man in The Conjuring 2. Another creature a lot of people thought was CGI though it is somewhat understandable in that film since they played with the speed and frame rate to make him look like he was moving like a stop motion creature. Which made him look even more unreal.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 31, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It also just looks wrong so your brain goes "Has to be CGI because that can't be real".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Curry is Bela Lugosi Dracula. He is charismatic and mystical in a creepy way. He is imposing but doesn't really do all that much other than stand around and talk but he is better than you and he knows it so he doesn't need to do much more. Something as grandoise as "I AM THE DEVOURER OF WORLDS... AND OF CHILDREN" fits him because he is basically cosmic aristocracy.

Skarsgard is Cristopher Lee Dracula. He is a monstrous predator just barely pretending to be something human. Alternatively he is Max Shreck Dracula. A hideous parasite wallowing in filth , basically a humanoid rodent. Either way huge dramatic speeches aren't his thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

KeyFace and the Crooked Man should do a crossover vs film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Raxivace posted:

As far as horror remakes go, It is still probably one of the better ones. The only other one that even comes to mind for me is Herzog's Nosferatu though that's a pretty different kind of movie.

The Fly?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody is "growing up" with this movie. The movie is very good but very few people will remember it or care about it in 10 years.

People fondly remember the original movie which was a cheapo TV film with one really good performance but basically nothing else going for it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The kids were alright.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IT: Is Happening Again

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ben will be a constantly shirtless and oiled up Chris Evans.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

With that casting there's a very high chance Eddie is going to get his dick out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Wait what. I guess they're going to retcon that he's from loving Krypton or something, a Stretch Armstrong doll would have been killed by that.

Maybe he'll be in a coma and then just get up and go when Pennywise calls. Like the Bride in Kill Bill except with 25 years of mullet growth.

• Locked thread