Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm now 37 and there's been a handful of movies that scarred me as a kid. IT, Jaws and Child's Play are the top 3.
I watched IT by accident as a child, secretly turning on my television in my room. :)

What essentially scared me the most is that IT violates any sense of safety you reach for as a child. Your friends, daylight, your parents, your house, public places etc. It breaks down or quickly alters these things.
The thing I find really great is that I never found the confrontation that scary, because me as a child watching, eventually came to the same conclusion as the kids in the movie; you just have to confront it. It's rather liberating and in essence a good example of the "release" horror movies can give (and why they are enjoyable).

It also makes for a nice comparison to the second half, where the adults surpress their fears, because avoidance is often possible and easily available compared to when you are a kid. Your school bully will still be there tomorrow.

That's why I also like the catapult example from earlier in the thread; they need to go back to their childhood selves with the same need to confront IT. It's just that the first half of the movie does a far better job to motivate this, especially when you watch it as a child (which many of us probably did).

For me, I don't see many angles how they can bring something new with the remake. Especially for the first half. I'd be sad if they only went for the "more grim" approach, as that doesn't mesh with why it's scary in the first place. The second half could be a lot stronger and I'm very curious to see how creative they want to go with that.

Obviously, can't wait to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Nroo posted:

They are doing that Castle Rock tv show, which seems to be made with all that in mind. There's very little info about it right now, though.

This is the first time I hear this. Going to keep track a bit, thanks!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_(TV_series)

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

wizard on a water slide posted:

Trailer looks good but I'm very worried about the writing.

Sharing the worries, but drat the trailer does look good eh?
The slides part and It running at the kid are giving me the chills.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

God drat that looks good.

Agreed. It's getting to me too, even.
The music especially.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Getting even more keen to see this, love the new trailer.
They really seem to nail Derry being off and that's a great sign for the movie as a whole I think.
I could be mistaken, but the mini series didn't really do much with that? It's been awhile.

The new Pennywise really sticks with me; it scares me and it's slowly replacing my childhood's fear of Tim Curry. :)

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

TomViolence posted:

I hope they at least try to keep in most of the cosmic horror elements that make the book so good. Half of what makes it is hearing all the hosed up things that have happened in Derry through the years.

It seems to go out of it's way to portray something being off with Derry and it's residents. That's hopeful right.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think this is great news, more room for character building and scene setting. Derry itself qualifies as both really. Not long to go now.

Keep in mind you need to subtract about 40 minutes for that scene.
Can we get a good poster for this movie btw?

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I think I'm hoping for an atmospheric Derry poster.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe it's because I saw the trailer in D-Box, jackass that I am, but man this looks so good. I keep trying to find reasons to find something I don't like.

It's mindboggling how incredible this looks so far. It doesn't make sense, does it?
Cinematically, it looks amazing, Pennywise, by some miracle, is working out insanely well, Derry is spot-on...
Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

VoodooXT posted:

If any of you guys are in LA, there's a recreation of the House on Niebolt Street on the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. I passed by there today and it looks pretty awesome. I saw someone dressed up as Georgie go inside.

This sounds amazing and way too scary hah.
Anyone going there?

• Locked thread