Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Don't forget that the Brady Gang shootout was also a real thing that actually happened in Bangor, Maine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Coulrophobia is something limited entirely to America in the past 50 years, acting like being afraid of clowns is some ancient innate :biotruths: is silly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Survivor Type rules, not only is it legitimately horrifying but it's the rare time in fiction where a story being presented as a series of journal entries makes sense and is used effectively.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the book Pennywise's suit was described as being silver with orange pom-pom buttons, which sounds almost spacesuit-like. Given how much of It's forms are explicitly said to be people's minds struggling to comprehend his appearance or being manipulated by subconscious suggestion him being a clown could just be how people interpret his appearance as Pennywise since a clown is the closest comparison they can make.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think that's got way more to do with what the modern conception of what a clown is. It's a genie you can't put back in the bottle, no one on earth thinks a clown is anything other than a demon from hell.

Barnum and Bailey's circus is actually shutting down this year because of low attendance, at this point evil ironic scary clowns are the only exposure the last generation has ever had. Aside from maybe, I dunno, the gay uncle on Modern Family? The last time I remember seeing clowns as unironic entertainment for children was The Big Comfy Couch on PBS in the 90s, since then even when children's performers have painted faces and perform shows they never actually self-identity as clowns.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Foreign covers of Stephen King books are awesome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tom Guycot posted:

Newly leaked photo from the set:

Please, that clown wishes he could hold a candle to Buffo: The World's Strongest Clown

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Maine is basically the Alabama of new england, King is one of the good ones and he's still basically a character from Get Out.

No one would've said anything in 1985 either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GBuciv20A

poo poo, Soul Man would come out a year later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbX9U622I5Q

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Ready Player One looks totally lame, I can't believe anybody would fall for such shallow nostalgia pandering. Anyways, how kickin' rad would it be if Pennywise turned into the loving Xenomorph and instead of silver bullets they use the sword from Thundercats???

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Having finally seen this I kind of had a laugh at so much internet consternation over Bev being kidnapped when it was doing the Worf thing of taking out the most powerful person to put everyone at a disadvantage and motivate the rest of the group rather than the dumb helpless damsel in distress thing people were playing it up as.

Also people complaining about how awful the "CGI" leper was is great because, as is often the case, it was actually a real dude in makeup.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Aside from his face it's clearly a practical effect because it's so goofy.

Yeah, I'm glad they explicitly said later that it was a leper because the designs of him and the dead kids were pretty similar so it almost felt like It had some undead army it was using to menace people rather than playing on specific fears.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the special effects as a whole (namely over-using that fast motion thing with the pseudo-Jacob's Ladder blur every time It moved) but I'd love to see a making-of just to see what's practical and what isn't. I was pretty surprised to find out that the monster in Mama was a puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ins7QwvAp28

The way that the burned headless kid moved and looks makes me think that he might have been a puppet too, there's an actor credited it to him but it could be just for the scenes where he has a head so I dunno. It reminded me of the way the corpse stag in Hannibal looked, which was also a puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhatYWMRA0U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, if you were going to do an It show, you should call it Derry and make it and anthology show that may or may not ever actually touch on the actual events of the book. Start with the very beginning of Derry's founding and keep jumping around in time telling different stories of It's reigns of terror. Mix in the local drama of the time and the slow build up of Pennywise as a threat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_(TV_series)

• Locked thread