Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Two things that really stood out for me from the book that were left out of the TV movie was the weird time shifting old house with the scary as gently caress mummy that pops out of a basement window, and something about a fridge full of flesh eating bugs. If they can add those two and maybe do justice to the weird lovecraftian spider thing towards the end that everyone seems to hate (but I love) I'll be pretty happy. The trailer gives me hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm 20% through the book for the first time in 10 years and the part where Hamlin is doing reade arch on the history of Derry is excellent and I hope they get that into the movies somehow. Even if it's a short scene.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I forgot how terrifying Eddies run in with the leper is. When he pulls back the rug and it appears in the window.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hell in the book he takes on so many different forms that the clown is like the least unnerving form.

I'd like to see them do that with the movie. Especially the huge birb's tongue.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I saw Poltergeist at a pretty young age and had that exact loving clown doll. That's what made me scared of clowns. Then later IT.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Man, I really hope we get to see the big birb.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The Stand was a fairly ok TV miniseries adaptation that I would either rank at or just around IT. Just the same, it's a network TV adaption and there's a loving ton of hosed up poo poo from the book that it could've used.

An honest to God Netflix or HBO adaptation that spent time in No Great Loss area, or more time on how the fascist military overreaction to everything made everything worse, would be great.

I'd rather see HBO tackle The Great And Secret Show which kicks the poo poo out of The Stand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bisse posted:

The Shining as a book is an excellent book with kind of mediocre execution. The idea is brilliant, the topics it covers are excellent and the story and characters are bananas. Unfortunately it bogs itself down with some non-plausible stuff and the ending leaves the quality and writing behind in favour of Krusty's Skary Horror Show, fan-fiction-like character arc resolutions and scenes, and even the "Black Man To The Rescue" cliche which IMHO is pretty cringeworthy by today's standards.

The Shining movie does away with the mediocrity and focuses on the best parts of the movie all the way to the end. In particular it discards Krusty's Skary Horror Show in favor of more sublime and legit frightening set pieces.

TBH I feel a major failing of many of King's books is his desire to finish off by revealing the monster and having some sort of battle with it. It falls flat pretty much every time and usually ends up leaving cookie-cutter endings to otherwise great concepts.

That's a lot of words for King is bad at ending his books which is correct.

Still mad about The Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The beaver trapping line was goddamn hilarious.

• Locked thread