Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violator
May 15, 2003

It's been over a decade since I read it, but how does the book handle the stories going on at the same time? For example, wouldn't the adults being alive kinda spoil which kids survive their part of the story? Would that lesson the dramatic effect in the movie since you can't spend hundreds of pages working around that issue? The dude killing himself in the tub in part 2 of the mini series is super strong way of beginning. I can't remember how the book handled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why hello, Tim Curry's Pennywise

Awesome, nice find.

Violator
May 15, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Night Flier is severly underrated. Now it's not in the same league as say Creepshow, Carrie, Dead Zone, Christine, the Shining, and the Mist but it's still drat enjoyable. It has the most memorable vampire design I've seen in any movie ever, aside from maybe Nosferatu. The main character, portrayed with gusto by Miguel Ferrer, is a massive rear end in a top hat. At times it feels like a proto-Nightcrawler since the protagonist is a amoral photographer who will do anything for the most sensational shots including intruding on a scene of an accident.

Yep. Rewatched it a few months ago and it holds up.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I remember a bunch of ABC and NBC miniseries in the '90s that were based on books. Like one about little black rocks that helped aliens invade, or Peter Benchley's Jaws But With Squids.

Summer programming, maybe?

I'm a sucker for Peter Benchley's The Beast, I can't help but love ocean monster movies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I actually read the book and it was terrible. Didn't the squid have the ability to walk on dry land and sort of stalk the town like Jack the Ripper?

I don't think so, the squids are gigantic. Are you thinking of the other Benchley book where the Nazi-created man shark could convert its lungs from water to air to walk on land? They also made that into a TV movie.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Salems Lot is freaking awesome, I would consider that the best mini-series.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I like the screaming and running at the camera after thinking about it more because it was usually accompanied by a subtle strangeness creep out scene. The basement scene with Bill is the perfect example. IT slowly creeps out of the water and reveals that Georgie is literally a hand puppet. That would be enough to send Bill running, but IT really cranked it up by running and screaming at him. Nothing overly fantastical or fake like running on the ceiling or swimming under the water to him, just good old fashioned nightmare fuel of running and screaming at you. But IT stops at the bottom of the steps, the eyes roll back in its head and it slithers back to where it came from. It didn't want to kill Bill, it just wanted to terrify him. Like all monsters to kids, Bill was safe when he reached the top of the steps and the kitchen light.

It feels like each IT scene was crafted specifically as if "what actually scared me at 13" was the starting point, not "what can we do with effects." In that regard, I feel the intention is very close to the book. Like the basement steps with open slats where something could grab you through them. You could do more than just a hand reaching up to grab you as you walked up them in the dark, but a simple hand is all you need to show that childhood fear. The same with IT, you could do more than having a clown run at you screaming but dang is it effective all by itself. Especially since it's usually sandwiched between two creepy and sublime scenes of terror.

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Georgie scene was perfect because it shut everybody up in my theater when they realized it was going to that type of movie. :colbert: After that scene there was no talking and only laughing at appropriate parts, so I was super happy to have a good theater experience even with a whole bunch of young teenagers.

Violator
May 15, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

17 is how old you have to be to see R rated films by yourself.

Yeah, I know, but every time I see a popular r-rated movie there are always young teenagers that appear to be without adults. I don't know if their parents are sitting elsewhere, but for IT I saw like four groups of teens without parents that looked super young and were really loud, joking around, and literally running around the theater before the movie started. Luckily they kept quiet during the movie itself, but it seems like I have 50/50 luck on whether I get a good or bad crowd. I've basically given up opening weekend and midnight showings because of it. I'm probably just old and cranky, but I gave up after I had a movie where the people two seats over pulled their phones out and started taking selfies (with flash!) and talking about how many likes they were getting during the movie. Argh. Get off my lawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Trailer writes itself. Fade in on Bill, he turns, looks scared and stutters... “I-It!” Really drive it home by subtitling it. Instant replay in slow motion. And then do techno remixes of him leading up to release.

• Locked thread