Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That guy's voice sounds straight out of some late 70s horror trailers, it's kind of great in a way.

But yeah, Steven Weber actually emotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The problem is that we already know everything that happens when they were kids if the first movie is going to be solely about that. If all the drama when they're adults is supposed to be from remembering what happens when they were kids, what IT was and what they did, then the second film will have to be restructured to focus on something else because we'll already know that stuff. The miniseries at least got that right in the first half, intertwining the two timelines.

Granted, I don't think IT the novel can really be made into a totally book-loyal movie anyway. There's too many things in there, especially when it comes to character behavior and scares that will be either odd or not scary to an adult movie audience. This is another thing I think the miniseries did well, keeping a lot of the vital stuff that would work for a movie and excised a lot of the stuff that wouldn't. It really could have benefited from another hour, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Len posted:

I already am not a big fan of sex scenes in books because they're always awkward and don't feel like they add much. But did I really need to know that Ben had the biggest thing and that it made her hurt and feel like she was flying? No. No I did not coked up Stephen King.

This is like Henry’s M-80s, something not meant for kids, something that could explode and blow you up.

So bad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The book does say that IT takes the form of Pennywise to lure in children, because "what child doesn't love a clown", for whatever that's worth.

As far as his look goes, here's the book.

There was a clown in the stormdrain. The light was far from good, but it was good enough so that George Denbrough was sure of what he was seeing. It was a clown, like in the circus or on TV. In fact he looked like a cross between Bozo and Clarabell, who talked by honking his (or was it her?-George Denbrough was never really sure of the gender) horn on Howdy Doody Saturday mornings-Buffalo Bob was just about the only one who could understand Clarabell, and that always cracked Georgie up. The face of the clown in the stormdrain was white, there were funny tufts of red hair on either side of his bald head, there was a big clown-smile painted over his mouth. If George would have been inhabiting a later year, he would have surely thought of Ronald McDonald before Bozo or Clarabell. [...] He was wearing a baggy silk suit with great big orange buttons. A bright tie, electric-blue, flopped down his front, and on his hands were big white gloves, like the kind Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck always wore.

It later says the suit is silver, I think in the first encounter with Ben.

MrMojok posted:

What I meant was, why were so many kids in the 90s afraid of clowns?

I don't think it was any more than it was the 80's. You can thank Gacy for that, and the subsequent horror films that used clown imagery for creepy effect. But the miniseries was only 1990, and was a huge TV event and really re-cemented the idea for late gen x/millennials. It's been surprisingly enduring, and I'm sure the new adaptation will just further that. I know someone who used to be a professional birthday clown (she's in her 60s now), and she told me that the success of the miniseries was like the Great Depression for professional clowns.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
To be fair, Clarabell is more terrifying than either incarnation of Pennywise.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I mean, not all of the new Pennywise stuff has him grimacing like Jack Nicholson.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm more curious about how they're going to do the classic monsters, if they even will. We know clowns can be creepy, but how the hell do you make the mummy or wolf man scary in 2017? Now that I think about it, IT is basically A Nightmare on Elm St. meets The Monster Squad.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

davidspackage posted:

Jesus.

Since that's made it the elephant in the room once more, has King himself ever offered any comment on the It sewer gangbang? Like "I was really hosed up on drugs, sorry" or "people fail to grasp the metaphor"?

Stephen King:

"I wasn't really thinking of the sexual aspect of it. The book dealt with childhood and adulthood --1958 and Grown Ups. The grown ups don't remember their childhood. None of us remember what we did as children--we think we do, but we don't remember it as it really happened. Intuitively, the Losers knew they had to be together again. The sexual act connected childhood and adulthood. It's another version of the glass tunnel that connects the children's library and the adult library. Times have changed since I wrote that scene and there is now more sensitivity to those issues."

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
This is the best trailer by far, but it's kinda despite Pennywise. I'll watch it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

MrMojok posted:

29 Neibolt street was where they thought they killed It in the miniseries, when they were kids. Wasn't it?

Na, they only ever fought it in the sewer in the miniseries.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

MrMojok posted:

I'm thinking of a scene in the TV series in that house, when Bev hits it in the side of the head with her shot and deadlights start spilling out, and It escapes down the toilet.

Yeah, that happened in the sewer and it went into a drain. The house/toilet thing was the book.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kevyn posted:

Is Bill gonna yell "Hi-ho Silver.... AWAY!" while he rides his bike? That may have been cool in the 50's but it's gonna look dorky as gently caress in the 80's.

Then again, he's kinda supposed to be a dork.

It's the 80's. "When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious poo poo."

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I was gifted a membership to the Stephen King Library when I was very young (prob too young; I remember receiving and reading IT when I was 10). Every month or so, I'd get a hardcover first edition in the mail, with that cool rear end cover art. I loved that poo poo, best Christmas present I ever got. Even though I don't really read King anymore, I kept them all. I'll never forget the commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc5uP5Tap4

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I mean, it was made by the guy whose best movie by far is Critters 2. The Stephen King miniseries has the ability to turn any actor into garbage mainly because they were either made by TV hacks or low rent horror directors.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like how Hollywood has basically turned the entire internet nerd movie blog/social media industry into it's own personal hype machine. A free promotional screening and a couple of complimentary swag bags and you've got a 80+% RT score for your new movie for days.

I'll get excited when the reviews aren't coming from the clickbait lords and next gen Harry Knowles.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Watch a youtube walkthrough and be glad you didn't blow your money on a low rent spookhouse.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well, New Line owns the rights to Freddy and some quasi-rights to Jason, so it's possible.

E: ^oh man, Foul Play. That's the first EC Comic I ever read, back when they were doing those 90's reprints.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 29, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The movie theatre scene, they'll be watching NOES and then Richie sees Englund as Freddy in the Neibolt house basement. It's total nostalgia geek-out poo poo, but gently caress it, I'd be lovin it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A hysterical Bronson Pinchot.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That would make a good yard decoration for Halloween.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's with the embargo nonsense?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm avoiding spoilers, but is the spooky stuff pretty much standard fare jumpscare horseshit?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I mean, they pretty obviously cgi'd dudes nose-hole to move around when he went all ooga booga at the camera.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Brandis was a better Bill. It's not even close.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CelticPredator posted:

Curry’s wasn’t all that scary but that’s not his fault, more so the fault of the hacks who made the thing.

It’s so visually awful in almost every possible way.

Curry’s always in a wide or medium shot and it’s just not effective. At all.

Say what you will about the looks, but Tommy Lee Wallace ain't a hack. He made his bones with John Carpenter, pulling major creative duties on some of his best early work. Dude also wrote and directed Halloween III, and did the same with IT. The fact that the structure of the miniseries flows as well as it does, and gets the book across without many glaring omissions, is kind of a minor miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

weekly font posted:

every piece of that looks like it was taken from something else and photoshopped together

lol yeah, even the chairs are the same element, just flipped.

• Locked thread