Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah but when in 1985 are you going to see a grown person carrying a slingshot as a way to defend themselves. That's the idea - it's a child's weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street rules and is a very good blueprint for an IT movie.

I mean the book is basically A Nightmare in Derry Township, just that the nightmare is every waking moment. And there’s a turtle.

On a different note: I don’t know how recently a lot of people have read the book, but only Georgie sees Pennywise as Bozo (and King suggests if he lived only two years longer Bozo would be Ronald McDonald instead), and only for a few seconds before he gets a closer, clearer look and begins to feel dread in his stomach about this clown in the sewer.

Everyone else remembers a clown with gigantic orange tufts of hair, orange buttons, blood red and impossibly white greasepaint, and those orange eyes. Or they never even see the clown, they see the Gill Man or a giant bird or their dead little brother or Paul Bunyan or a leper who wants to give you a blowjob. The balloons are probably the single consistent thing about Pennywise in the whole book.

(Speaking of which if you’re wondering what they’re replacing the transformed Pennywise things into for this version, they’re all hilariously up, plain as day, on the Wikipedia article for the character.)

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 27, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“TheBigBudgetSequel”" post="“474780892”"]
Gotta have the earth-turtle!

and I feel like since this has a much bigger budget than the TV movie, they can really explore the non-clown aspects of It, but bang for your buck, Penny wise is the best way to market the drat thing.
[/quote]

I cannot tell if you are going for a pun there.

But yeah, you definitely want to sell the movie based on the most iconic thing from it, and Pennywise The Dancing Clown is very clearly the iconography that has stuck from it for 30 years. That and the sewer grate from the hardcover.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

[quote="“FreudianSlippers”" post="“475771220”"]
I’m listening to the audiobook of this and poo poo man. Ritchie just did one of his racist audio-blackface voices in 1985, right in front of Mike no less, and no one went “Woah! What the gently caress Ritchie?!?”. I mean it was 1985 but surely someone would’ve said something.
[/quote]

Isn’t that what “beep beep, Ritchie” is a stand-in for?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They all start reverting back to their old selves when they reunite in ‘85, which is what Freudian there was referring to. Bill’s stutter comes back, Ritchie goes from using his radio-appropriate voices to his racist childhood ones, Eddie’s “asthma” becomes as bad as it was back in ‘58...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

WB threw up some b-roll: https://youtu.be/3rPsjTmJFMk

Two things: they built the entire sewers! Cool. Also, the amount of practical stuff in this footage is kind of ridiculous. And also, Bill Skarsgård sure as hell went as method as you can go with the embodiment of evil. Him just sitting and holding a bundle of balloons is menacing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I’d bet good money that the haircut will have something to do with her father disapproving of it.

I’m actually wondering now what they’re going to do about casting the adult characters since it seems like it’s all clear for whatever they intend to call the second movie to start really early development. Do you go with stars? Do you find a bunch of unknowns?

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 28, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I legitimately thought about suggesting Seth for grown Richie, because he’d probably say yes just because how often do you get a chance to play the same character at two points in their life and legitimately be right near the age of the character both times

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s both, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm gonna make a prediction that this will be a Sixth Sense sized hit.

You think it’s going to make almost $700 million?

That seems really unlikely. I think it’ll be the biggest horror movie since the Sixth Sense, but that’s not especially difficult since most horror movies tap out at $100 million.

Also, holy gently caress, $700 million, Sixth Sense was a goddamn phenomenon.

• Locked thread