Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Apparently one of those "creative differences" was his insistence on keeping...that scene.

You know.

That scene. :stonk:

You really shouldn't joke about this, if this movie ends up sucking it'll probably be because a bunch of executives and test audiences led to King's weird, oversized, unpleasant book (prolly his best horror novel, as someone who isn't really a fan) becoming a Summer Chiller about a spooky clown.

The fear of "that scene" and Fukunaga's frustration with the studio wanting him to "write cliches" are absolutely part of the same problem. It's also a mistake to just hack the child and adult halves of the story into two discrete pieces with zero overlap and make them two consecutive films that tell a linear narrative.

Trailer looks good but I'm very worried about the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the flute playing to cue the appearance of Stanley's fear was legitimately the most unsettling scene in the movie for me because I thought Pennywise was just gonna pop up in the painting or something and my heart seized up when I tried to imagine what that thing would look like or how it would move.

It's a whizbang setup for (Ch 2/book spoiler) what he does at the beginning of the adult stuff. He has his dad's motherfucking painting in his house - he is the skeptic, and we're still probably getting some kind of repression or memory loss - and the moment he hangs up the phone that flute starts playing and it all comes back to him and just yeah. gently caress me running.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Simplex posted:

That something strange I noticed about the movie as well. The movie is gleefully salacious about the abuse that Bev suffers from, but really tiptoes around Mike's race. I don't want to make the argument that what this movie really needs is more racism, but just that it has strange boundaries over what is acceptable.

Henry Bowers also gives us that hard F-bomb in his first scene

There's still an obvious racial subtext to the bullies' interactions with Mike, if only because the depiction of older, bigger white boys saying that poo poo about him being unwelcome is loaded with cultural baggage, but it does kinda feel like they're deliberately avoiding leaning into that or that somebody involved in writing the script went "well, one change is that the Civil Rights movement is over and racism is a solved issue in 1989 so"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

The Stand is almost definitely gonna get made now.

this sucks, bc matty mac really was the perfect casting for randall flagg but given the dark tower's reception I doubt he or they would be interested in bringing him back to reprise the role

well, also bc the stand is pretty overrated, whereas IT is like one of the only good king books that isn't a short story they've already adapted

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 20, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

The beginning of Cat's Eye has the protagonist cat getting chased by Cujo and then it almost gets run over by the Plymouth Fury from Christine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoqPrPYcJc

I'm hoping the Castle Rock tv series is pretty much this.

Cat's Eye is a fun bad movie, making it better than a lot of King adaptations, which are just bad movies (sometimes bad books, even)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Why don’t they come out into the open?"

“Because they don’t trust us. Because what we don’t understand we want to destroy. ... That spider. Why are you afraid of it? Because it has eight legs? Because its mouth moves from side to side instead of up and down? If it came at you, what would you do? ... You'd destroy anything you didn't understand. Don't you see, Matt? That's why they've been hiding behind other men's faces, until they can clear out!"

IT is really blatantly inspired by It Came From Outer Space.

The thing about this is that the aliens in It Came From Outer Space behave completely differently from the creature in IT.

They're totally benign, just failing to hide/communicate effectively, and plotting their escape from us. IT, on the other hand, has been living under Derry for the entire history of human civilization, and clearly tears people apart or tries to eat them. If the purpose of the book/film is to illustrate what happens in a lapse of communication, it certainly comes to very different conclusions than It Came From Outer Space; that film indicts humanity for our unwillingness to communicate, while IT tells us that the Other is dangerous and it's impossible to effectively communicate.

• Locked thread