Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Apparently one of those "creative differences" was his insistence on keeping...that scene.

You know.

That scene. :stonk:

He didn't. His script made it out there but that scene doesn't happen. There's a variation of 'Bev brings the group together' but definitely not like that. It is incredibly violent though (I don't remember if it's in the original book, but he portrays a series of gruesome axe murders across Derry in the 1800s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Darko posted:

I'd say the best of the miniseries is Storm of the Century, mainly because it's written straight for the miniseries format and isn't really "missing anything." IT is terribly neutered to the point of ridiculousness, The Stand is basically The Stand lite, etc.

STORM OF THE CENTURY is great, though I believe that's also neutered from what King wanted to do (his script is a bit more violent). The performances are really solid and the ending is a killer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Renoistic posted:

As someone who hasn't read /seen the original, I'm just wondering how It is supposed to be scary in the second part when it's already been defeated once by a bunch of unprepared kids who have overcome their fear of him. I suppose adults could have a different set of fears, but the 'Chapter 1' honestly felt weird.

The two stories also intertwine with one another as well rather than being a clean 'here's the child part' and 'here's the adult part'. But as noted, they grow up to be a largely hosed up group of adults who have a shared trauma. Also, I think some of the better scares come in adult section.

I liked the movie a whole lot except the weird sidelining of Mike (If the plan is to make him the town historian in the second movie anyway, then just don't bother changing it) and the fact that too often Pennywise moves like one of those ghosts from THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL remake.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Look forward to see what will be in the DC. 15 additional minutes isn't just minor changes. Patrick's death seemed sort of neutered in the final film (If they kept the book death it would've had the cinema squirming) so I wonder if there will be more to that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Perhaps someone else can answer, but how much of that is part of the book? Greta's bottle blonde but she has reddish hair, just like Bowers and most strikingly, Bill's mom. There are also a lot of adults in town with vaguely menacing glasses, be they mirror shades or chunky bifocals. I don't really recall that from the last time I read the book in college or whatever.

Pretty certain it's a movie invention. Obviously King's book can take it's time with how Derry is infested with this malignant evil but the movie does it with some neat visual shorthand.

As for my own nitpicky complaint, I felt like the scene with George at the start was weirdly rushed. The book scene gets across how strange the whole encounter is and also how alluring Pennywise still makes it despite all that. It completely omits the balloon exchange and the "You'll float too" line doesn't it? Which is weird seeing as the movie goes on to mention it a few times.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

In the book it was more Bev was from the "wrong side of town" kinda thing which anyone from that section of town would've gotten. The rumors that got back to her father was implied to be Pennywise in his Bob Gray persona about her hanging with boys and doing who knew what.

Yeah in the book there's much more of a geographical/social divide between the kids. Beverly is from a low income family and so because Derry is a lovely place they just naturally believe the rumours about her. It's mentioned in the movie, but it's also because she's the lone girl with a group of boys.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yaws posted:

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

It appears as though the scene worked on you. Good job movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Martman posted:

Regardless of SMG's interpretations, It targeting Georgie seems odd. So much of the rest of the movie is about coming-of-age, puberty, periods, etc., with It only seeming to target kids around that age. Why pick Georgie, who's so young and innocent?

And, why make such a point of having no one witness the actual incident? Seems like it would have been fairly effective to show the neighbor lady witnessing him being eaten/dragged and just not notice it or respond appropriately, just like how Bev's dad can't see the blood.

It's a change from the book, where George is witnessed having his arm torn off (and unambiguously dies instead of going missing). I get why they needed to give his brother some motivation I guess, but it's not like he's lacking for any in the source material either.

SMGs interpretation aside, there's no rhyme or reason as to why it targets George. It just does, though it falls slightly out of step with the rest of the movie where all the missing kids are teenagers. Not to make this movie Vs book but the same discrepancy isn't there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Fart City posted:

There's a behind-the-scenes story about it that is pretty funny. Originally the effects gag was planned to be more subtle, with just a little bit of blood smearing on the roller. But one of the effects technicians overloaded the blood bag, which pretty much caused the kid to appear to explode. King basically shrugged and was like, "gently caress it, chalk that one up to a happy accident."

Also, I think that gag went on longer and caused an MPAA member to feel ill, so King had to cut it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

I'm now thinking of the chances of a Steven King Cinematic Universe.

There is the upcoming JJ Abrams/Hulu show CASTLE ROCK that's basically that. And it has a killer cast (Including Skarsgard, though he's not supposed to be playing Pennywise this time).

• Locked thread