Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Cyrtakos, The Orc

The Great Council sends for aid, fear of the return of Valion troubling minds of those of coin, station and power alike. To them, the meaning of his return is change, an evil returned to lay waste to all that has been accomplished. They would see the harbinger of the end return back from where he came and have the world continue as it is.

But one man, no matter his power, can only do so much, be it just or unjust. True injustice comes from others that follow those of power, from what they do in their name and for their ideals. Even if the Great Council is mistaken and Valion is not in this world, his spirit and what others have made him stand for is. Injustice does not require an unjust man, simply many to accept an unjust idea. They call it "Valion's Care". Despite their scholars' arguments it is nothing more than a different name for that which all know it to be: the cruel yoke of slavery. They say that just as in the days of Valion's empire, misguided it may have been, it is a tool of civilization, a way of "caring" for those of lesser worth. Always they see themselves as those above others and coin and comfort earned by the sweat and blood of those they enslaved the just reward of their "stewardship".

I would see an end to all of it.

But I may not have desired so, had my fate taken just slightly different path. Had I not thrown in my lot with the armies of the Empire of the Wolf, their expansion and their "civilization", admired far and wide, carried on the back of those they conquered from their capital of Caer Engor. Had I not believed their promise that they would grant their protection to my tribe. Had I not disobeyed orders when their commander broke that promise, seeking glory on the battlefield and gambling with the security of those I had left behind. Had I fought the Wolves harder when they cornered me as deserter, had I been able to fight them to my end. Had the Wolves decided to kill me there and then, instead of taking me into Valion's Care, making me a slave.

Little shall be said of my time under the heel of the Empire of the Wolf. Not because it brings to mind painful memories, but because enough has been said already about it by others that tell my tale. Suffice to say that I suffered the cruelty of the whip, though many can find honor in scars. The true injustice though is brought upon by those that think themselves the better of others, and what they force them to do just for freedom from pain and hunger. For a time, I deluded myself that there was something proper about the arrangement, that the scraps I earned from my victories in the Wolves' arena where I fought for the amusement of their masses were the sign of a man powerful and master of his own destiny.

It was not so, and in time, I found myself unable to deny this. But too, in time, I looked beyond my own misfortune and towards those that suffered the same as I. In time, shared fate made me call the others under heel of slavery brothers and sisters, no matter whether orc or human or elf. And in time, we crafted plan for our revenge and escape.

Many tales have been told of the night when slave turned blade upon their masters and the Wolf city of Metellia was set upon by escaped slaves. It seems the flames and number of Wolf centurions slain grow larger with every telling, alongside with my role in the battle. The Breaker of Chains, they now call me. The truth is, many of equal worth were felled that night, though their tales are now seldom told. The truth also is that we did not face their legions in open battle as many would think, their might greater than ours by far.

But still, I and many others escaped and news of this spread. And now I find myself summoned by the Great Council, called towards higher purpose. It does not matter to me whether Valion truly has returned, for I now have sworn myself to fight that which he stands for to my last breath. Others would hail his return as a sign that the world shall once more be as it was, with "those lesser" in their place and put to the purpose of those that propose themselves to be their masters.

I shall fight until Valion and those that would follow in his wake, that would think that others can be property, are no more. I shall fight until I see the world be changed, not remain as it is, as many on the Great Council would have it. I shall fight until all that draw breath be freed from the darkness of slavery.

quote:

Why are you your people's champion?
The tales of the Breaker Of Chains made me their champion.

Before Metellia burned and I escaped with my brothers and sisters, I do not know whether the Great Council would have called upon orcs for aid or considered them a united enough people to agree upon a single champion. Even if that were not so, my own people would have confirmed low opinion of those "civilized" and delayed sending a champion, either because none could agree upon one or because concerns of the other people are not those of orcs, or so they would think.

But I would have this change.

quote:

Tell us more of your people.
My people are not united, both the power and the desire to speak with a single voice not theirs. Many different tribes settle across the entirety of Valantyr, though usually keeping apart from each other, even taking a certain pride in their tongue and custom being different from the other tribes. The shamans tell me it has not been always so, that once we had a country and a single voice of our own. Though despite what some of the other people would say, we do not only blame them for our downfall. It is clear that at least in part, we bring our misfortune upon ourselves, both in the days of old and now.

But something is changing. Perhaps my people have endured for long enough, or perhaps they have seen that they are not alone in enduring, as I have. The world hangs in the balance, and with this, the time of indifference and accepting things as they are are at an end for my people. It is time for the world to change, and my people, more so than any other, take to change. I have seen orcs from tribes from opposite corners of Valantyr put aside their difference in the face of greater threat, talking to each other using a mixture of the sacred words of the shamans, they alone unchanged over hundreds of years and the tongue of the Wolves, yet another tool turned upon our "masters". I have seen a freed human nobleman happily embracing the orc that broke his chains, the two settling out to call upon the human's people for aid. I have seen my people standing up for themselves, no longer enduring injustices carried out over centuries.

The orcs are changing and in so doing, the world shall be changed as well.

Cyrtakos, The Orc, Breaker Of Chains posted:

Name: Cyrtakos
Look: Determined Eyes, Muscled body, Patchwork Armor, Scarred Skin
Agenda: Born Rebel: Fix the system, by any means necessary.

Stats
Blood: +2
Courage: -1
Sense: +2
Grace: +1
Wisdom: +0

What Is An Orc?
Daughters Of Chaos
Your people are born free, determined to follow their hearts and choose their own destinies. When someone attempts to enslave, control, intimidate, terrify, or command you, you can always act as you please. The Overlord cannot use the moves Twist the Knife, Fear Me, or An Offer You Can't Refuse on you, and your people are immune to the Heir's Core move Yes, My Liege.

Orc Core Moves
The Fires Of Industry
As long as you have a minute's time and destroy something in the process, you can craft an Orc-Made weapon of your own design. Orc-Made weapons are Clumsy in any hands but an Orc's, and they are ugly to all but Orcs. The weapon is Melee.
Weapons you make are not added to your Gear - they are temporary and must be replaced when they are lost or damaged. You cannot carry more than 4 weapons you've made at a single time, but you can restock weaponry between scenes as you like.
When you Share this move with another, they gain an appreciation for the utility or simplicity of Orc-Made weaponry. Orc-Made weapons are not Clumsy in the hands of those with this move.

Dishonor Before Death
When you need an Advantage to Finish Them with in glorious combat, you can always create one by breaking your weapon. When you must pay a price, you may always choose to break your weapon.

Orc Custom Moves
I Smell Fear
When you Look Closely at a person, so closely it makes them upset, uncomfortable, or scared, you may ask questions from both the Speak Softly and the Look Closely lists, and you can ask one more question than your roll would normally allow.

Self-Orctualized
Choose two options from the final list of your Gear (strong as an ox, tough as nails, scary as hell, or cunning as can be). Both of those options are added to your Gear permanently. You cannot choose an option you already have.

Bonds

Gear
  • Strange jerky (Food, 3 Uses)
  • Orcish moonshine (2 Uses, Food (only for Orcs), Drunk: Grace + Wisdom, Vigor: Blood + Sense). If you stuff a rag in the bottle and set it on fire, replace its tags with Ranged and Dangerous.
  • Some loot (1 Use, Precious)
  • Your best friend (Brains) (Clever Plan, Tear It Down)

Lubo: Far more upbeat and less serious than Cyrtakos, they nevertheless formed a bond as they suffered under slavery, then escaped and then fought together. Lubo is not as convinced as the Breaker of Chains that all people of Valantyr are in this together, thinking that orcs should look out for their kind first, but still he supports his brother-in-arms.
  • Strong as an ox (2 Uses). Use this to smash through a wall or door.
  • Tough as nails (2 Uses, Armor)
  • Scary as hell (2 Uses). Use this to Talk Sense whether they want to listen or not, and you can roll at +Blood instead of another stat.

Temporary Gear
  • 2 x Orc-Made weapons

nil. fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

How do your people treat the world around them?

Cyrtakos leans forward, the flame of the open fire just enough to illuminate some of his massive frame, leaving much of the room enveloped by the darkness of night. The light plays across his face, casting stark shadows, as the orc considers the question for several moments. "Recent misfortune at the hands of others, inflicted on brothers and sisters and myself may darken thoughts and only bring to mind the need for fighting those that would inflict such cruelties, bring to mind fire inside heart yearning to carry out vengeance on them. All strangers, all that do not stand with you or suffer the same as you could be seen in such light, enemies to be fought and brought down with sword and fire." He pauses, watches the flames, then slowly shakes his head. "But I would not have it so, neither for my people nor me."

He waves a hand, more at himself than the listeners. "It is a question that would be better answered by a wise man or woman, a shaman perhaps, but it is also true I have thought about our people more now that I have been named champion. Though that may not be the whole truth of it, as thoughts of higher purpose already grew while still under the heel of the Empire of the Wolf." He shrugs, slowly. "Ours is a people of change and stubbornness in equal measure. Put a practical problem to a skilled orc such bridging a ravine for a caravan and they will have it solved before the day is done. But put two orc leaders under one roof, both minds filled with thoughts of old offences and ancient claims, and no agreement will be reached even though both their people stand to profit. Both are a matter of passion, one for good and one for ill."

"And so it is with the world at large, and in recent days I have thought it is not always to our advantage. Already I have spoken that our people are scattered and have no one voice to speak with. When an orc sets to solve a problem by changing, they set out to do the best with what they have. The tribe in the wilderness, competing with others, may search out new territories or make do with less. The orc living with the other people may concentrate simply on doing the work set before him instead of who demands the work, and whether it is fair and just." Cyrtakos cocks his head. "But eventually..." The orc puts forth his hands, one a fist, the other rubbing over it - like getting ready for a fist fight. "...stubbornness comes through."

He relaxes the hands. "Scholars say you treat those around you as they treat you, and many of my people are treated poorly. But I would not have it so."

quote:

What do they want?

Cyrtakos stares ahead, thinking - until suddenly, a rare and brief smile flashes across his face. "Another question better suited for someone more wise than I." Still, he sits and considers. "Before captivity, I would have thought desires beyond those of myself and those close to me as something on another shore I shall never visit, covered in mist, unnecessary to spend much thought on. In captivity, I saw that desires were the same among all people, whether orc or not. Liberty. Freedom from hunger and pain. Family. A place of worth in this world. Wealth. Companionship, of all kinds." He looks up, the fire in his eyes not just a reflection from without. "A desire for vengeance upon those that would put heel on throat. To see those that think so little of life of others be repaid in kind."

He waves his hand, shakes his head, the moment past. "Our people want the same as all others."

quote:

How do you plan on giving it to them?

Once again, some time passes before he answers - the light of the fire slowly growing weaker now. "It is not my place to decide my people's path, for too many have already tried to do so. It is theirs to choose, and for this I shall fight. I shall fight for their freedom, and that of all other people, for that is what Valion and those that follow him would deprive them of." Cyrtakos falls into silence, as if considering what he said again. It is some time before he speaks again. "Much I said earlier about the Great Council and how they would have the world continue as it is, shying away from change, and now I walk along the same path, washing my hands of my people's fate." The big orc looks doubtful, even troubled for a moment. "It is true my people have injustices inflicted on them and inflict in kind on others as well. Not only native Wolf soldiers wielded the whip, but orcs as well. Not many, but enough."

"I shall have to think on it. Although I am named champion, still I am just one man, more used to wielding a blade, even against desperate odds and greater might such as that of the Empire of the Wolf or Valion. To steer my people's fate while in such a struggle may be beyond what can be accomplished, but it may also be that now is only time such can be accomplished." He stares ahead. "I shall have to break words with trusted companion or perhaps knowledgeable shaman."

Time passes, and the last of the fire's light slowly drains. Another smile forms on Cyrtakos's face. "And then again, it is not true I am just one man. I am Cyrtakos. I am the Breaker Of Chains. I am my people's champion. I am one of the Great Council's fellowship. I am that which I stand for in the eyes of my people, and others, as well."

nil. fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 11, 2017

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Overlord's Bond

quote:

I killed someone important to Cyrtakos.
"Beloved wife was apprenticing to become shaman, already when we met seeing more than I ever could. Dreams of putting down blade wielded for too long and without purpose, to find different life with her, I put on hold for one last time to ensure protection of her and my tribe among the ranks of the Empire Of The Wolf. She was captured alongside me, and we were cruelly separated. Accursed Wolf commander who first clasped iron on both our wrists told me that one of far greater import than he or I had ordered all shamans to be rounded up, to either be brought to heel of unnamed greater power... or be destroyed by it."

"I nursed hope, even though I should know she would never bend knee. And my 'masters' set upon that hope as their wolf namesake, and have me believe they were searching for her, with my loyalty, submission and ferocity winning them coin in the arena. But terrible fate could not be stopped and... I eventually held dying body of beloved wife in my arms, seeing the light fade from her eyes as she fell from this world."

Other bonds

quote:

I will use my strength to keep Mikhail , the little cook, safe.

quote:

I cannot help but respect The Lady for her freedom and independence.

quote:

Suika is a ferocious fighter and I am driven to compete with her on the battlefield.

quote:

Mithras is caught between a duty to his own people and one to all peoples, something I understand too well.

quote:

Lubo and I suffered and fought together.

nil. fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2017

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Now that's heroism!

• Locked thread