Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hell, even if you are. The baby bucket and following rear facing seats we used were both so long and wide that they had to be behind the passenger side of our MS3. In the middle both seats had to be practically full forward, and as tall as I am, that wasn't going to work. With it fully behind the passenger seat, my wife (who is not tall) still spent much of the first year with her knees jammed against the dashboard.

The CR-V fits in the same footprint but the difference in interior space was nothing short of amazing.

Same experience here, there is no way that the manufacturers test fit rear facing seats in anything because it's tight even in a full size vehicle.

That being said, we have my wife's cr-v as you know, and my little matrix actually has more rear seat room. I keep my daughter's front facing seat behind me, which my wife can't even do in her Honda comfortably. We'll be in a booster seat later this year and I can't loving wait. I'm getting something with 2 doors again, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey Some Texas Redneck, you sold me a pioneer headunit forever ago. I just moved it from one car to another. Just wanted to let you know that deck still lives on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Same experience here, there is no way that the manufacturers test fit rear facing seats in anything because it's tight even in a full size vehicle.

That being said, we have my wife's cr-v as you know, and my little matrix actually has more rear seat room. I keep my daughter's front facing seat behind me, which my wife can't even do in her Honda comfortably. We'll be in a booster seat later this year and I can't loving wait. I'm getting something with 2 doors again, dammit.

I would love to downsize into something else... but I don't really want to give up either vehicle. I could maybe see going from the WJ to a TJ since I don't need as large a back seat, but I do use the WJ's towing ability on occasion. Going to a shorter wheelbase, down two cylinders, and worse aero seems like a big jump backwards there. The only way I could make that work would be if the CR-V was replaced with something big enough to haul cargo inside instead of a trailer. An Odyssey might have enough space but it might not have the weight capability, and I don't think either of us want to have a fullsize van or Suburban instead of the CR-V.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Coredump posted:

Hey Some Texas Redneck, you sold me a pioneer headunit forever ago. I just moved it from one car to another. Just wanted to let you know that deck still lives on.

Good to know man. Pioneer is generally pretty solid.

I have a 2014 or 2015 Pioneer in my car now. :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Know what's fun? Trying to remove 37 year old pieces of plastic without damaging them

The only thing that could be more fun is trying to work on electronic components that have had their disconnects removed and have been hardwired to the wiring harness with YARDS of excess wiring

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would love to downsize into something else... but I don't really want to give up either vehicle. I could maybe see going from the WJ to a TJ since I don't need as large a back seat, but I do use the WJ's towing ability on occasion. Going to a shorter wheelbase, down two cylinders, and worse aero seems like a big jump backwards there. The only way I could make that work would be if the CR-V was replaced with something big enough to haul cargo inside instead of a trailer. An Odyssey might have enough space but it might not have the weight capability, and I don't think either of us want to have a fullsize van or Suburban instead of the CR-V.

Looked at the new Pilot at all? I've got zero experience, but that's kind of the next logical step in the "I want a bigger CR-V" process, yeah?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pilots are huge. Like, Ridgeline huge.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Did they bloat up that much with the new models? I don't remember the previous ones being gigantic, but again, I'm admittedly pretty ignorant on Honda's offerings.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would love to downsize into something else... but I don't really want to give up either vehicle.

Oh yeah for sure. My situation is changing because I'm getting a work-provided truck that I'll drive home for a couple years, so there's no reason to keep the commuter matrix, and we have a 3500 for hauling already.

So I want a weekend toy, and my CL searches are running the gamut from a 5-window 3100, old C10, to a BR-Z or 135i. I'd love an Ariel atom but I dunno if I can justify that much buy-in even if it will hold value.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My work HR-V swallows my kids and an extension ladder, as well as tons of tools. I don't know why you'd need anything bigger inside. Also the low 30s regardless of highway or backroad is great too. I just wish it wasn't white.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Pilots are huge. Like, Ridgeline huge.

It helps that the Pilot, Ridgeline, and Odyssey are all on the same platform.

DJ Commie posted:

My work HR-V swallows my kids and an extension ladder, as well as tons of tools. I don't know why you'd need anything bigger inside. Also the low 30s regardless of highway or backroad is great too. I just wish it wasn't white.

For me it'd entirely be for the times when I need to rent/borrow a 5x8 trailer to haul poo poo around. The fact that we don't need that much room every day is why I don't want to buy something bigger, but I also can't really shrink any smaller.

Clearly I just need a whole drat fleet :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few weeks back somebody broke into the Civic and tried to steal it. But joke's on them no battery!

Anyways, just sold it for about $100 less than I was into it overall. Sad day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there some reason anything smaller than an excursion has poo poo for tow ratings? Like for the little 5x8 trailer you mentioned, just getting a factory hitch seems impossible.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Unibody construction, light duty transmissions with no cooling capacity, rear suspensions not designed for tongue weight and the biggest problem, liability.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And yet Australians will tow goats with a Lambo

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Well you would think a tractor company would have that covered...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ilkhan posted:

Is there some reason anything smaller than an excursion has poo poo for tow ratings? Like for the little 5x8 trailer you mentioned, just getting a factory hitch seems impossible.

I heard somewhere that this is just a unique-to-North-America thing and it's less that the vehicles can't tow things but that they don't bother setting up the ratings for there on this side of the ocean. Much like UHC somehow things that work elsewhere are straight-up impossible here.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

ilkhan posted:

I'm towing a 6x10 trailer with a 2003 Corolla :getin:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Most cars have a tow rating of a couple thousand pounds. The problem in America is most people want to tow a 14k dump trailer full of green oak firewood, or said uhaul trailer loaded with a pallet of concrete or pavers. The concept of weight ratings and safety is too difficult to grasp when people are trying to save on a delivery fee. Those that do understand this wind up with the suburban commuter pickup.

That said lots of people tow motorcycles, lawn mowers and other light things with cars.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

At one of the rental companies I used to work at, the compact utility loaders we used to rent came with a trailer to haul them. Before that people would try to take them away on snowmobile trailers and the like, and watching the tires smoke on the trailer deck one too many times caused the owner to change that policy. The things weigh nearly 1,500 lbs, without attachments.

What I'm saying is people are dumb regarding towing stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

What I'm saying is people are dumb regarding towing stuff.

Fixed that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I fixed my "smart" TV!

55 inch Hisense "smart" TV I bought over a year ago. Has always had an issue where 50/50 it would finish booting, or crash. I even had the TV on one of those christmas-tree light foot switches, so I could rapidly "unplug" it and try again. When it crashed, it hard-locked. Recently, after the move, it was maybe 1 in 50 instead of 1 in 2.

After moving into the new house Feb 17th, I finally had the time and gumption to open it up. It helps that the floor in the spare bedroom was 100% clean and sanitized and vacuumed due to last night's spider-egg hatching horror show.

Was a loose cable going to the wifi board :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Was a loose cable going to the wifi board :v:

Should have thrown it away and picked up a new one like a proper consumer. What, do you not want the economy to improve? What's wrong with you?

Slung Blade posted:

Will this be the month I finally get my coronet project back​ on track?

Huh, timely. Also :lol: 'Cornet'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHxamkMisfo

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
French guy blew a tyre during 3rd gear entry on minami wall today. Walked away and car still works.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't give up either car and just get another!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SquirrelGrip posted:

French guy blew a tyre during 3rd gear entry on minami wall today. Walked away and car still works.

Now it looks like most other beat to poo poo skylines driving around

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just throw some filler and a rattle can paint job and it will be concourse ready compared to most R32s

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
That's one way to mount a set of tires.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SquirrelGrip posted:

HICAS just dropped out, yo.

So what is your fruit of choice? I have been making a concentrated effort on making sure I eat more fruits and have found that Honeycrisp apples pretty much a life hack to eat more fruit. I cut one and eat it in the morning during the 9-10 hour. They are seriously the most consistent best tasting fruit. I don't think I have ever been disappointed by a Honeycrisp. I like raspberries and strawberries but sometimes you get some that are just bland and without flavor.

Best fruit I have ever eaten in my whole life were mangoes from Queensland when I was in Australia. It was so good it was hard to believe that it was actually considered a "healthy" food.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
pink lady apples are the best apples

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
You guys are crazy. Granny Smith rules.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

pink lady apples are the best apples
Finally, a sane person.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nah honeycrisp are the best.

University of Minnesota knows how to breed some apples I tell you what.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gala apples are fantastic

here in washington, the apple capital of the US, nobody loving eats those lovely green apples. nobody.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Empires, what the gently caress.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

Nah honeycrisp are the best.

University of Minnesota knows how to breed some apples I tell you what.
MN native here and they sure do (see: SweetTango apples, also), but gently caress paying $4.99/pound for apples.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Apples are kinda meh, to be honest, but at least they're not gross like pears

I absolutely love watermelon, I grab a spoon and eat entire watermelons in spring and summer. I have a similar love for honeydew, cantaloupe, or basically any melon that's in season

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like my apples sharp. I am also partial to a banana.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I absolutely love watermelon, I grab a spoon and eat entire watermelons in spring and summer. I have a similar love for honeydew, cantaloupe, or basically any melon that's in season

Not gonna lie, melons are my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Good cantaloupe is fantastic, but I've been burned by too many poo poo fruit salads so I don't get my hopes up. And honeydew is trash that makes my throat itch.

• Locked thread