Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Hey all - I have started a youtube channel where I'm doing some vlogging and some home reno tips. No I'm not ready to show it off to anyone yet because it sucks, but I'm interested in reading about other goons with youtube channels. Topics in this thread would include sharing videos they've made, constructive feedback, tips and tricks, lessons learned and success stories. Just really interested in building a network of other people that own youtube channels, either as a hobby or for a living.

Just for my story, I have a friend that started a youtube channel approx 2.5 years ago, and he's getting to the point where he can quit his job and make a living (makes about $1,500/mo as is between youtube and patreon). Kind of inspiring me to do the same thing, although he has a gaming channel and I don't have any interest in that. I'm more just kind of trying poo poo out and seeing where it's going.

Also, is there a thread for this already? I've scoured the forums all over the place, so forgive me if there's one and I didn't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Quitting your job to make 1500 a month on something that probably won't last seems like a great idea.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Your timing couldn't be much worse

https://www.recode.net/2017/3/30/15128654/youtube-creators-revenue-drop-brand-safety-controversy

On the plus side, if Google's entire ad network starts unraveling it's going to be so entertaining to watch!

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Quitting your job to make 1500 a month on something that probably won't last seems like a great idea.

i hear you but he already had a not-great job, and he seems happy at what he's doing, so i'm happy for him :)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Speaking as a poor person with a full time job and health insurance: If I had a youtube channel that was generating $1500 after 2.5 years, I sure as hell wouldn't quit at that point, especially if some of that is from donations. I hate my job, but I wouldn't sacrifice my health insurance for that.

You have to be able to afford the following financial obligations at minimum before quitting a real job:
Food
Studio apartment
Electricity/gas
Health insurance
Retirement fund
Cable Internet
Phone bill
Emergency Fund

I'm not adding a car because it's quite possible to find an apartment within cycling distance of grocery stores, retail outlets, and hospitals. I don't typically watch a whole lot of the popular channels where some goof just spouts off random poo poo, but I do find it peculiar that a lot of them do still request donations.

Rocks posted:

i hear you but he already had a not-great job, and he seems happy at what he's doing, so i'm happy for him :)
It's all fun and games as a youngster, until you get cancer or get it an life altering accident and have to go in debt to survive.

TL:DR - Keep youtubes as hobby until you can easily afford health insurance and contribute to a retirement fund.

ijii fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 31, 2017

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
When you're making $1500 a month Youtubing/Twitching just out of college, it's not the worst idea in the world to stream 12 hours a day and use your supportive parents as a piggy bank for a year or two because as I understand it that kind of monetization means you're right on the cusp of blowing up and possibly getting serious money. It won't happen for everybody but it's worth taking a shot (probably won't be in five more years when every 18 year old does it and viewership dips for most people, but now's the time to take those kind of risks).

When you're older than that or have no safety net, not so much. Also it will take three to five years for you just to get to that point which is exactly when everyone will be doing it and you'll have no chance to succeed.

Here's what I'd ask myself if I wanted to bet several years of my life on a very low shot in 2017: do you have a niche that you're good at where you can get yourself noticed because almost no one else is doing the same things on Youtube and yet the handful of people who are doing it badly get views anyway?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
So vlogging and home renovation.. those don't seem at all related. Assuming by vlogging, that you're referring documenting parts of your daily life/adventures. So people who are interested in watching you vlog aren't going to be doing home renovation, and people looking for home renovation tips aren't going to want to watch your daily life.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Juanito posted:

So vlogging and home renovation.. those don't seem at all related. Assuming by vlogging, that you're referring documenting parts of your daily life/adventures. So people who are interested in watching you vlog aren't going to be doing home renovation, and people looking for home renovation tips aren't going to want to watch your daily life.

Someone's never seen Home Improvement.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Juanito posted:

TBQH i'm not really doing it at this point because i have a plan or even because I want to make money - just looking to maybe help some people out with the knowledge i have as a general contractor and maybe put some positive vibes out into the world. no doubt when i get more comfortable doing this i will probably change strategies depending on my audience and what i feel comfortable doing.

when i was in high school i liked making movies so now i'm just going doing it again as a 33 year old using some newfangled technology, instead of Super 8s.

i also make a good living on my full time job so there's literally no expectation of making money whatsoever. that's why it's a hobby right now.

ijii posted:

It's all fun and games as a youngster, until you get cancer or get it an life altering accident and have to go in debt to survive.

TL:DR - Keep youtubes as hobby until you can easily afford health insurance and contribute to a retirement fund.

i should note my buddy lives rent-free, and lives in Canada where you don't need private health insurance. i think he mentioned by the time he's making about $2,500/month he'll quit his current job, which seems reasonable and not that far away, considering his growth. i think he mentioned he needs about 500,000 views/month to hit that target - he's currently at 300,000 and growing steadily (about 100 subscribers/day).

No Butt Stuff posted:

Someone's never seen Home Improvement.

noice

Rocks fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 31, 2017

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Juanito posted:

quoting this so i can frame it on my wall when i have my own HGTV show

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Probably not worth the effort

The quoting that is

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can't make money off copyrighted content that's not yours, right?

I see people uploading the same 2-hour concerts over and over again - like there's over 50,000 uploads of one Guns N' Roses concert.

What's the point to this? Do people just get off on seeing their views go up even if they can't monetize it? Or is there some way to get revenue from doing this?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I sold an old DSLR of mine and upgraded to a Rebel t6i so hopefully it ups my quality. It has been SO long since I edited videos (I used to do it with Super 8s back in the day), this is going to be my biggest hurdle for sure. God bless YouTube tutorials for Premiere editing.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Do any goons have YouTube channels they want to promote here?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

posted another vid today, making it a total of TWO videos so far. it's been 15 years since I last edited any videos so making progress every time.

feel free to subscribe to help a brother out, or poo poo on my ugly face, or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOb62ksy0y8

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

lmao

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I watched your other video and don't see it now, but that was what I was thinking when the first one started.

One recommendation: When you say refinish cabinets, I think you're gonna be stripping the paint on the outside, showing me how to fit new, soft close hinges, and put it all back together, not just paint the inside.

My McMansion already has painted cabinets with interior painted, and I think I need to sand and strip them at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I watched your other video and don't see it now, but that was what I was thinking when the first one started.

One recommendation: When you say refinish cabinets, I think you're gonna be stripping the paint on the outside, showing me how to fit new, soft close hinges, and put it all back together, not just paint the inside.

My McMansion already has painted cabinets with interior painted, and I think I need to sand and strip them at some point.

noted. I'm going to re-title it. appreciate the feedback.

if it isn't obvious, i'm just basically working on my house right now, so i figure why not film some how-to videos for various poo poo i'm doing along the way. i am brand new to youtube, being on camera, etc., so no doubt i'll have some kinks i need to sort out along the way.

• Locked thread