Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

"technically not my fault" doesn't stop you from getting fired. Good on you for giving yourself some buffer, keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ServoMST3K posted:

Yeah I learned my lesson. After two late punch ins I get a verbal warning. It technically wasn't my fault because there was a massive traffic jam due to an accident on the only highway I can take to get there, but I went much earlier anyway the next day.

Most commutes have major variation. So if it takes you on average 30 minutes to get there, but when traffic is bad it takes 50, you need to leave 50 minutes beforehand every day. Not just the day after you got yelled at - every day. This can be awkward if you can't start work early, but most bosses have zero patience for "there was traffic, sorry" especially if you are new.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Just to check in, things are going pretty well so far. I haven't been late again since my 2nd day, and I got my first paycheck on Thursday (even though it was only for three days)! It feels good to have a routine every day even though so far I've mainly been sleeping when not at work. Any tips for getting some extra energy so I can accomplish stuff during the day outside of work?

Also I've been inquiring about a weekend position at a local horse barn, mainly because my week job isn't the highest paying gig in the world. Would you guys recommend I keep following up with the weekend position or just stick to getting used to working one job for now?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

ServoMST3K posted:

Any tips for getting some extra energy so I can accomplish stuff during the day outside of work?

When you get home from work immediately take a walk or go for a run or ride your bike or whatever you do stay active. It's really easy to get home, sit in front of the TV/Computer and not get up for the rest of the day. If you are active right off the bat you can break that habit. After you've been there a couple months you probably won't be quite as tired though, the first few weeks at a new job are always exhausting.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

ServoMST3K posted:

Just to check in, things are going pretty well so far. I haven't been late again since my 2nd day, and I got my first paycheck on Thursday (even though it was only for three days)! It feels good to have a routine every day even though so far I've mainly been sleeping when not at work. Any tips for getting some extra energy so I can accomplish stuff during the day outside of work?

Are you eating enough food, in actual calories? Some additional fruit, fresh or canned may help through giving you a small natural sugar spike during the day.

But I also second the doing something physical immediately after you get home, before you've had a chance to switch off completely.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ServoMST3K posted:

You are probably just having problems adjusting your body to being "always on" at work. Hopefully it should go away when working becomes "normal." If not, maybe bring it up at your next therapy appointment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Make sure you are eating right, as someone mentioned, and that your sleeping schedule is consistent as you can make it. Otherwise, whenever I'm on anything new, even if it's just visiting a new job site that I've never been to before, I find that I get very tired and require a lot more sleep because my brain is trying to process a bunch of new poo poo.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OctaviusBeaver posted:

When you get home from work immediately take a walk or go for a run or ride your bike or whatever you do stay active. It's really easy to get home, sit in front of the TV/Computer and not get up for the rest of the day. If you are active right off the bat you can break that habit. After you've been there a couple months you probably won't be quite as tired though, the first few weeks at a new job are always exhausting.

I agree with this. Couches have powerful butt magnets inside them, but you can counter the effect with 20-40 minutes of physical activity right when you get home.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Thanks for the advice folks!

Now I have ANOTHER question. So my friends are getting married this Thursday when I'm supposed to be at work. When they originally told me the date I'm sure I wasn't planning on actually having a job so this conflict of interests never crossed my mind. I'm definitely going to attend the wedding, but should I call in sick or try asking my staffing agency for the day off instead? There's been a few instances of people at work who go through the same staffing agency calling in sick and none of them have been warned/fired for doing so as far as I'm aware. Also is it just me or is Thursday a weird day to have a wedding?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ServoMST3K posted:

Thanks for the advice folks!

Now I have ANOTHER question. So my friends are getting married this Thursday when I'm supposed to be at work. When they originally told me the date I'm sure I wasn't planning on actually having a job so this conflict of interests never crossed my mind. I'm definitely going to attend the wedding, but should I call in sick or try asking my staffing agency for the day off instead? There's been a few instances of people at work who go through the same staffing agency calling in sick and none of them have been warned/fired for doing so as far as I'm aware. Also is it just me or is Thursday a weird day to have a wedding?

If they're major nerds Thursday is May 4th so it's Star Wars Day. I also know of people getting married this Thursday for that reason, IMO I think it's selfish and dumb to do a weekday wedding just because lol random star wars! but whatever.

Don't lie. Ask for the day off because you had previously committed to going to this thing. If your recruiter/boss isn't a total rear end they should be ok with it. You don't want to lie to your employer, that never ends well if they find out.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Well I went to the wedding and everything worked out fine. It wasn't Star Wars themed surprisingly, it was 50s themed so I wore my red suspenders because I guess that might have been more common in the 50s.

I looked at a room/apartment on Sunday and while I liked it and the reasonable price I'm taking the advice of this thread and I'm waiting until I have more money saved up. My job is going ok in the meantime and I've committed to waiting til I have another job lined up until I move on from this one, whenever that may end up being.

I'm still having some trouble with doing stuff outside of work other than sleeping. Hopefully I'll get more adjusted soon, but I'm guessing part of the problem is that I work 2nd shift and it's too late when I get home to really do anything else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you work second I'd try to get up at a civilized time and do stuff before work. Good luck. Second is a bit tougher than you might think.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ServoMST3K posted:

Well I went to the wedding and everything worked out fine. It wasn't Star Wars themed surprisingly, it was 50s themed so I wore my red suspenders because I guess that might have been more common in the 50s.

I looked at a room/apartment on Sunday and while I liked it and the reasonable price I'm taking the advice of this thread and I'm waiting until I have more money saved up. My job is going ok in the meantime and I've committed to waiting til I have another job lined up until I move on from this one, whenever that may end up being.

I'm still having some trouble with doing stuff outside of work other than sleeping. Hopefully I'll get more adjusted soon, but I'm guessing part of the problem is that I work 2nd shift and it's too late when I get home to really do anything else.

a) you are still getting used to a new routine and being more active in the day than you were previously: that takes time.

b) for shift work, you have to make a conscious effort to plan things and then do them: e.g. set the alarm 1.5 hours early next thursday and go shopping at the mall before you go to work, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If it's at all possible I think exercising after work is a great idea. In fact walking/jogging at night can be awesome since there is so much less traffic to deal with. You obviously need to be a little more careful figuring out your route, but once I started jogging at night I could not stand daytime runs. Walking around listening to an album or podcast or something should be equally de-stressing unless you live in a gang ridden poo poo hole.

• Locked thread