Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Breaking news as Brexit is cancelled amidst a surprise change in circumstances.
lol jk April Fools
http://i.imgur.com/kEfd6w8.mp4

Brexit letter was signed and this whole thing is going right ahead.

This will begin the start of a two year (maybe) process, which the rest of the EU seem to be in no great hurry to make easy. Angela Merkel has rejected parallel trade talks, as was said all along, and the European Parliament has leaked its initial stance on the Brexit negotiations:

quote:

The chamber’s general principles for the coming talks include that:
• a future relationship agreement between the European union and the UK “can only be concluded once the United Kingdom has withdrawn from the EU”.
• there may be a transitional deal for after 2019 to ensure that custom controls and barriers on trade are not enforced on day one of Brexit, but that these arrangements should not exceed three years and will be “limited in scope as they can never be a substitute for union membership”.
• the European court of justice will be responsible for settling any legal challenges during the transition period.
• the UK will be able to revoke its notification of article 50 but this must be “subject to conditions set by all EU27 so they cannot be used as a procedural device or abused in an attempt to improve the actual terms of the United Kingdom’s membership”.
• should Britain seek to negotiate any free trade deals with other countries while it is still an EU member state, there will be no future discussion of a deal with the union.
• there will be no special deal for the City of London “providing UK-based undertakings preferential access to the single market and, or the customs union”.
• the cut-off date after which EU nationals coming to the UK lose the automatic right to residency in the UK must not be before 29 March 2019, when the country leaves the EU, or the British government will be breaking EU law.
• Britain should pay all its liabilities “arising from outstanding commitments as well as make provision for off-balance sheet items, contingent liabilities and other financial costs that arise directly as a result of its withdrawal”.
• the outcome of the negotiations on the future EU-UK relationship “cannot involve any trade-off between internal and external security including defence cooperation, on the one hand, and the future economic relationship, on the other hand”.

What else is in the news?
• New elections to the Northern Ireland Assembly were held, the DUP lost its overall majority, and now the whole thing looks like it's falling apart again.
• Philip Hammond delivers the spring budget as Lord Heseltine is removed from his advisory role over the Brexit rebellion in the Lords.
• Philip Hammond U-turns on raising NI contributions for self-employed, but keeps bad poo poo in budget.
• George Osborne gets another job, raising the total to six now, and leading to suspicions that some of them might not be entirely honest.
• GCHQ makes a rare public comment after Sean Spicer claims that President Obama used GCHQ to wiretap Donald Trump. Such libel that they would try to spy on foreign leadership candidates.
• Martin McGuinness and Ronald Drever are no longer with us.
• There was a terrorist attack on the Palace of Westminster and an attempted one in Townsend Street, Strabane.
• We have a new coin for some reason. Has anyone seen one yet?
• Forums user haakman made a good post about grammar schools (they're bad).
• Brexit countdown: 1 year 362 days

A Ship of Fools

Record Store Day
UKMT March 2017
UKMT February 2017
UKMT January 2017
UKMT December 2016
UKMT November 2016

Irish Flag Day
Scotpol Thread

World Immunization Week
EDL/Fash Thread

Hitler's Birthday
Europol Thread

Spy Wednesday
Paedogeddon/Press Corruption Thread

Isambard Kingdom Brunel Day
Trainchat Thread

Trading Cards for Grown-ups Day
Political Cartoons Thread

Blah Blah Blah Day
#ukgoons on synIRC (thanks crispix).

Pay It Forward Day

quote:

1. It's not a person's fault if they are poor;
2. It's not their fault if they are disabled;
3. Neo-liberalism doesn't work;
4. The Daily Mail lies (maybe even about Pig Dave and charity);
5. Neo-liberalism has never worked;
6. The British Empire was not a force for good;
7. Neo-liberalism will never work;
8. Trans people are not "men in dresses";
9. Gendered insults are not okay;
10. If something is "so gay" it had better be something that is really happy;
11. Trains are awesome;
12. The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles;
13. Ni dieu, ni maître, nae hope.

And Finally, Happy Easter UKMT:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Step down corybn!!!!

Lets have April be the month the Labour Party turns it around!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I should add to my post in the last thread that there is no figure for how many part time students are in work, and no figure for how many full time students are in full time work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buckfast easter egg has to be heretical somewhere.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39453535

Any deal struck with the European would not apply to Gibraltar without Spain's consent

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Any deal struck with the European would not apply to Gibraltar without Spain's consent

That's... weird.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That's... weird.

Spain loving loves OUR ROCK

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Buckfast is made by an active Benedictine chapter. Vin Mariani, the first successful ethanolic extraction of cocaine, was given a Vatican Gold Medal by Leo XIII. I don't doubt that there are Anabaptist sects somewhere that would find the whole thing heretical, but it's just more evidence that the Roman Church is no longer in tune with society that Pope Broseph IV hasn't beatified Jagerbombs yet.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Sob.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Watch spain invade the rock

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Namtab posted:

The best thing about this is Brexiters saying that this is fine, because in response the UK will just throw its weight behind Catalan and Basque separatism. I'm sure the EU are shaking in their space boots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Buckfast is made by an active Benedictine chapter. Vin Mariani, the first successful ethanolic extraction of cocaine, was given a Vatican Gold Medal by Leo XIII. I don't doubt that there are Anabaptist sects somewhere that would find the whole thing heretical, but it's just more evidence that the Roman Church is no longer in tune with society that Pope Broseph IV hasn't beatified Jagerbombs yet.

It's just weird to me that there's a bunch of monks making moonshine and packaging it with chocolate eggs for easter.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chartreuse is strong evidence that God is real and Catholics are right about him, and that France is his chosen country.

Sorry godless limeys :(

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Jeremy Corbyn.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

Watch spain invade the rock

Watch the Sun and idiots spaz out and want to invade Spain to keep the rock.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jeremy Corbyn's poll numbers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Watch the Sun and idiots spaz out and want to invade Spain to keep the rock.
No Tory PM would start a war with an Hispanic country over a piece of rock due to tabloid goading.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

We will hand over Gibraltar to the Spanish and Theresa May will return from Brussels clutching a piece of paper and proclaim peace for our time

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Gorn Myson posted:

The best thing about this is Brexiters saying that this is fine, because in response the UK will just throw its weight behind Catalan and Basque separatism. I'm sure the EU are shaking in their space boots.
At least there's pretty solid historical precedent for that strategy since the UK originally obtained Gibraltar by taking sides in a Spanish civil war.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Sadly it is not heretical and no longer on sale as the distributors got on to the shopkeeper and told him to stop.

No justice in the world

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My contribution towards the admittedly limited Official Brexit Theme Tune debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kguFNwwko

I guess it's funnier if you mentally picture Gideon, but I'm sure there's someone else in the cabinet off their face all the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kingturnip posted:

My contribution towards the admittedly limited Official Brexit Theme Tune debate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kguFNwwko

I guess it's funnier if you mentally picture Gideon, but I'm sure there's someone else in the cabinet off their face all the time.

This came on at work the day after the referendum, and now it's forever My Brexit Song.

I'm sinking deep, I'm going under, that sugar coated iceberg tastes so sweet, until you tumble, those sugar coated lies.

All those tricky things you said, on angel wings, they're flying round my head. You weren't cheap, but I was sold, I should forget you, but I won't be told.

I'm sinking deep, I'm going under, that sugar coated iceberg tastes so sweet, until you tumble, those sugar coated lies.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 1, 2017

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Remember when they said the Scottish referendum would be scuppered by a Spanish veto?

I mean, nearly...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Remember when they said the Scottish referendum would be scuppered by a Spanish veto?

I mean, nearly...

You do realise that it's equally plausible that a Scottish referendum will be scuppered by the Scottish people realising that the SNP are a bunch of opportunistic halfwits?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

You do realise that it's equally plausible that a Scottish referendum will be scuppered by the Scottish people realising that the SNP are a bunch of opportunistic halfwits?

I know I'd rather throw my lot in with opportunistic halfwits than evil halfwits.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Chartreuse is strong evidence that God is real and Catholics are right about him, and that France is his chosen country.

Sorry godless limeys :(

Chartreuse is awful syrupy trash fit only for consumption by ailing livestock and Americans

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Crane Fist posted:

Chartreuse is awful syrupy trash fit only for consumption by ailing livestock and Americans

Eat your beans and toast.

e: I actually bought a bottle of Chartreuse today and a bottle of Lagavulin.

Scotland and France are both way better than England. I would have gotten some english spirits to have a try but nobody sells Buckfast.

Are there any English spirits other than that? Just gin?

Lol Hendricks gin is made in... Scotland. :rip:

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 1, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

kingturnip posted:

Really? Because to me they look like the only buggers in the country trying to do right by the people they represent. If that's what opportunistic halfwits look like, bring them on, the rest of us could use them.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Eat your beans and toast.

e: I actually bought a bottle of Chartreuse today and a bottle of Lagavulin.

Scotland and France are both way better than England. I would have gotten some english spirits to have a try but nobody sells Buckfast.

Are there any English spirits other than that? Just gin?

Lol Hendricks gin is made in... Scotland. :rip:

Whiskey is legit an insanely huge scam and all the decent gin is made in Scotland now

Except for these guys who make the best poo poo available, although I worked for them for a year before I left the country and they're total bastards

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

First editor of the standard, now a fashion designer

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/01/by-georgio-osborne-takes-new-job-as-fashion-designer

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I've been had

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Good stuff. :tipshat:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

aside from not being aware of the date, it's so dumb and bizarre it had to be true

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Scotland is heavily, heavily subsidised by England and Scots people know this. They COULD break away from England and still get by somehow, in the same way that I COULD technically halve my income and still get by but in both cases it wouldn't be a very pleasant experience.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The practical implications of Scotland breaking away from the UK and then joining the EU with controlled immigration in place, makes the whole idea of the thing sheer lunacy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Article 50 triggered, Spain making googly eyes at THE ROCK, Scotland about to bugger off, have we taken back control yet?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Jeremy Corbyn has announced that Labour will start being a serious opposition.

April fools!

:negative:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Scotland is heavily, heavily subsidised by England and Scots people know this.

Hmmmm. "Heavily, heavily", "Scots know this".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ7JXkv6_o

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Serious Gaylord posted:

Can someone smarter than me explain how google have wrangled their accounts to mean the uk government owe them 31m in overpaid taxes?

Hard to tell without seeing the detail. HMRC can demand tax up-front for particular types of transaction, which might lead to a repayment if they subsequently lost an enquiry or court case. It could be tax assessed in absence of a return, subsequently reduced when a return was filed. Or it could be a journalist not understanding what a deferred tax asset is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TinTower posted:

Jeremy Corbyn has announced that Labour will start being a serious opposition.

April fools!

:negative:

And Tim Farron now approves of gay marriage!

• Locked thread