Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/858481986079408128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
What genius spliced Human and Toad DNA together to create Piers Akerman?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

:thejoke:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Editorial: Malcolm Turnbull on a hiding to nothing

PREMIER Annastacia Palaszczuk has today launched a scathing attack on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, saying he is “worse than Tony Abbott’’.

She says with Mr Abbott she could at least get straight answers, and while she didn’t always like what he said, Mr Abbott was a man of his word.

Not so, Mr Turnbull. The Premier says he’s a fly-in, fly-out PM for Queensland.

He is lecturing the state about its gas and threatening to redirect supply. He’s had to be brought “kicking and screaming’’ to the table on the upgrade of the M1, the Townsville stadium and Cross River Rail. He’s arrogant. He’s disrespectful and he’s gutless. Wow. Strong words from the Premier.

Now, she’s worried Queensland will miss out again when the Federal Budget is handed down next week. At a time when Mr Turnbull’s popularity is at an all-time low – and to many of his supporters he’s been a gross disappointment – losing his way in Queensland is not the way to electoral salvation.

The problem for Mr Turnbull is that he’s in real danger of being a one-term wonder.

And the problem with that is that he is about to gift the prime ministership to Bill Shorten, whose union links and delusional commitment to renewable energy targets will send the country into a downward spiral.

When is the Prime Minister going to wake from his slumber and actually govern? When is Mr Turnbull going to govern for all of Australia, not just the southern states? Is it any wonder that One Nation’s Pauline Hanson, with her plain-speaking – albeit, in many cases misguided – policies, is getting so much traction in regional Queensland?

The good folk of the bush and regional cities see Ms Hanson as a symbol of hope because mainstream politicians have given them none.

Today’s criticism from Ms Palaszczuk should resonate throughout the corridors of power in Canberra. Unfortunately, it won’t.

Mr Turnbull seems to be incapable of listening and accepting advice or criticism. It will be his downfall.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...a473-1493514026

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

hahahaha

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wheezle posted:

What genius spliced Human and Toad DNA together to create Piers Akerman?

:effort:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imagine going to a party and getting blind on gin with Bernardi.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...205085efed67278

2008 Article. Never forget.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
There has to be some correlation between being named Piers and being a complete tool

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So how much do you reckon they've paid these two chaps to say that the Apex Gang is real on ACA tomorrow night?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You know, I have this weird recollection that the courier mail had a heap of articles saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with the reef.

Must have just started getting damaged...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

iajanus posted:

You know, I have this weird recollection that the courier mail had a heap of articles saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with the reef.

Must have just started getting damaged...

Well Campbell Newman lost so the Courier Mail has been in contradiction with its past self.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

DancingShade posted:

No.

They want people desperate and starving in the streets so they can lower the wages of the remaining workers by saying "accept this pittance or die in the gutters" while pocketing the difference.

Of course the flipside is they haven't considered what happens once people reach a certain level of desperation. I'm not talking French Revolution bullshit. But make people desperate enough for survival and you have South Africa levels of crime and nowhere is safe because people will carjack/murder you in your sleep for any amount of money to live off.

The US shows people will quite happily vote against their own self-interests for the benefit of those better off than themselves.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-28/the-afp-broke-the-law:-senator-ludlum/8481796?pfmredir=sm

Well... he isn't wrong.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like the idea earlier in the thread that the reason this came out was as a threat to journalists.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I like the idea earlier in the thread that the reason this came out was as a threat to journalists.

Was talking about this with a few others and the other likely reason we could see is that there is a bigger gently caress up to announce / cover up so this is the distraction thrown out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Bogan King posted:

Was talking about this with a few others and the other likely reason we could see is that there is a bigger gently caress up to announce / cover up so this is the distraction thrown out.

That would be my assumption too. Nobody has a press conference to announce their own fuckup unless it's a smoke bomb.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queenslanders Deserve Better

Queenslanders will have been disappointed, but perhaps not surprised, to read Annastacia Palaszczuk's bitter, personal and wildly inaccurate attack in the Sunday Mail today.

It's hard to know what prompted it.

It comes the day before we will both be in Townsville commemorating the Battle of the Coral Sea, where 75 years ago Australian and American naval forces turned back a Japanese invasion force headed for Port Moresby.

And later tomorrow I will be in Townsville announcing local jobs at the site of the new stadium to which my Government has committed $100 million.

It’s part of the Townsville City Deal we've been working on with the City and State Governments. The Premier has advised she will not be attending.

And it follows the heartbreaking loss and damage of Cyclone Debbie. As the Premier knows, the Federal Government is contributing around 75 percent of the disaster recovery funding. The Queensland Premier welcomed our help - only a month ago praising me and the Federal Government assistance she received, saying “the level of cooperation is unprecedented.”

This assistance to Queensland was not a one-off. Over the last decade the Federal Government has spent $10.5 billion on disaster recovery, of which 85 percent was spent in Queensland.

The Premier’s personal abuse will not distract my Government from delivering for Queensland. Our abolition of 457 visas means Queenslanders will have the absolute first priority for Queensland jobs.

Our gas reforms will help thousands of Queenslanders stay in work - including those at Incitec Pivot in Brisbane where we announced the reforms on Thursday - as well as supporting local businesses and industries struggling with high wholesale gas prices.

The Premier’s remarks can’t conceal the reality that the Queensland Labor Government is the biggest brake on state development. It seems the Premier knows how to blame but not how to build.

Normally State Governments embrace Federal funding with enthusiasm. However, the Premier seems reluctant to accept $130 million for Rookwood Weir - a project that will increase Fitzroy Basin agricultural production by $1 billion per year and provide 2500 jobs. Queensland is the only state not to have signed on for Federal water infrastructure funding.

The fact is, the Federal Government is providing record funding to Queensland: over $100 billion over the next four years. Federal funding to Queensland will increase by 20 percent between 2015-16 and 2019-20.

Federal funding for Queensland schools is increasing by 27 percent over the same period. Federal funding for Queensland public hospitals is increasing by more than 23 percent.

Our infrastructure commitments in Queensland total more than $13 billion including $6.7 billion on the Bruce Highway and $1.14 billion on the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing as well as many other projects. And the $5 billion Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility is considering further projects for investment in North Queensland.

Queenslanders don't want their politicians hurling abuse; they want them to deliver. That's my Government’s focus - delivering opportunity and security to the people of Queensland.

I look forward to meeting Queenslanders in Townsville tomorrow and announcing the next stage of North Queensland’s exciting new stadium which will deliver more jobs and opportunity for the region.

Another example, of my Government delivering for Queensland.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meanwhile
*Checks if poll I knew of landed*

The first Queensland state poll in two-and-a-half months finds One Nation going off the boil after its spectacular showing in the previous poll, with most of the dividend going to Labor. Conducted by Galaxy for the Courier-Mail, the poll finds Labor up five points to 36% and the Liberal National Party up one to 34%, with One Nation down six to 17% and the Greens down one to 7%. The drop in support for One Nation renders the two-party preferred reading slightly more meaningful than it was last time – it’s at 52-48 in Labor’s favour, compared with 51-49.

The story on leadership ratings is even better for Labor, with Annastacia Palaszczuk up six on approval to 47% and down two on disapproval to 35%, while Tim Nicholls hold steady at an anaemic 27% approval while his disapproval rises six to 45%. The poll also finds Palaszczuk rated as having done a good or very good job in response to Cyclone Debbie by 76%, which is the only information the online version of the Courier-Mail report(paywalled) provides. Field work dates and sample sizes aren’t provided, but past form suggests it was conducted on Wednesday and Thursday from a sample of 800 to 900.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxZNztTqwYg

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Apropos of nothing

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Queenslanders Deserve Better
Yep, it's the time of year again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DancingShade posted:

That would be my assumption too. Nobody has a press conference to announce their own fuckup unless it's a smoke bomb.

I felt to me like someone had found out what they did and gave them the classic ultimatum, "You either go public with it today, or I go public with it tomorrow."

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 30, 2017

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Friedman Liberty conference: Rapturous welcome for Ross Cameron, Mark Latham

Every paragraph of this is better (worse?) than the last.

quote:

The mission, said moderator James Fox Higgins, was to "make libertarianism sexy". The men - and men they all were - on the panel seemed to agree their cause suffered from an image problem: one of oddball keyboard warriors camped out in their underwear in their parents' basements.

quote:

"Us libertarians, we're not that cool," admitted Dylan Thomas, known online as "truediltom". Perhaps to prove the point, Sven Lowe - who works on YouTube channel The Rational Rise with Mr Higgins - said he consumed "eight hours of YouTube content a day".

quote:

Then Mr Cameron raised his arm into a Hitler salute and yelled, to whoops of approval: "Mate, if you want to come down now I'll give you the Nazi salute and you can f--- off to the pub."

quote:

Mr Latham, who lost the 2004 election to John Howard, accused Labor of drifting from a pro-market, anti-establishment ethos

quote:

"I've got an IQ of three figures and I'm not going to fall for this bullshit," he said to cheers.

Mark Latham and his towering 100 IQ.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

How long before Latham manages to piss off this new group of mates he's found? It's like watching someone constantly trying to see just how far they can fall.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Turnbull government will slash university funding by hundreds of millions of dollars in the May budget while hiking student fees and requiring graduates to pay back their loans faster.

The government will justify the cuts by pointing to a major new report which found universities receive adequate funding for most courses they teach and that their revenues are growing faster than costs.

Despite pleas from universities that they cannot absorb any more cuts, Fairfax Media understands they will be hit with a new efficiency dividend of between 2 and 3 per cent to be phased in over several years.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham, who will address university and business leaders on Monday night, is expected to release the government's higher education reform package in coming days.

The pain will be shared between universities and students, who will see a rise in course fees and a lowering of the HECS repayment threshold from the current $52,000. It is understood the fee increases will be significantly lower than a speculated 25 per cent hike.

A 3.25 per cent efficiency dividend, originally proposed by Labor, would reduce university funding by approximately $900 million over four years.

The government will soften the blow by increasing funding for dentistry and veterinary science courses, which are expensive to teach. It will also finally abandon plans, introduced in the 2014 budget, to reduce university course funding by 20 per cent.

Senator Birmingham will on Monday release a new report, commissioned by the government, that provides the most detailed picture ever compiled of the cost of delivering university degrees.

The Deloitte Access Economics study found universities receive sufficient revenue – through government funding and student fees – to cover the cost of teaching most degrees.

For example, the average annual cost of providing an engineering degree was $22,514 per student in 2015 compared to total funding of $26,623 per student.

A clinical psychology degree cost universities an average of $13,528 a year to deliver while attracting $18,711 in total funding.

Two clear exceptions are dentistry and veterinary science, which the study found to be significantly underfunded.

Fairfax Media understands the government will provide top-up funding for these subjects in the budget through new loadings.

The Deloitte report, based on data from 17 universities, shows the average cost of delivery for universities increased by 9.5 per cent from 2010 to 2015 while revenue grew by 15 per cent.

"This independent analysis speaks for itself," Senator Birmingham said.

"Funding for our universities is at record levels, but it has grown above and beyond the costs of their operations.

"Universities have a vital role to play in Australia but many mums and dads are feeling the pinch of tighter budgets at home and want to know their tax dollars are being used effectively and efficiently."

Senator Birmingham said he would not pre-empt the announcement of his reform package but added: "In the context of a tight national budget, the Turnbull government is focused on getting the best return for every taxpayer dollar invested."

The Deloitte report notes that universities also use their teaching revenue to cross-subsidise research and other activities.

Universities Australia last week released a report showing universities and students have contributed $4 billion to reduce the deficit since 2011 and that further cuts could put some universities in a precarious position.

"Universities and their students have already done more than their fair share of budget repair," chief executive Belinda Robinson said.

"In this context, it is difficult to justify further cuts that would affect student affordability and put at risk the quality of education and research on which Australia's prosperity depends."

Universities recorded an average profit margin of 5.3 per cent in 2015, with the University of Sydney and University of Melbourne recording strong surpluses of $157 million and $141 million respectively.

Vice-chancellor salaries have also soared over recent years, with nine vice-chancellors receiving annual pay packets over $1 million.

The government will also on Monday release an implementation plan on measures to increase the transparency of university admissions.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Farkin hell, my uni's already had taken quite a battering.

Also new thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818874

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

gently caress Off - We're Full!

• Locked thread