Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Almost time for the playoffs!
With the last spots still up for grabs, who will make it! Will the Flyers somehow snipe one? Nope. Will CBJ somehow pull off the President's Trophy? Maybe, if the Caps played like they did in Arizona more.

Is The Streak over?

Yup.

e:

MononcQc posted:

couldn't not do it

A SPECIAL WELCOME TO THE FOLLOWING WHO HAVE JOINED US
:rip: On April 9th, these lovely teams moved in :rip:
New York Islanders
Tampa Bay Lightning
Philadelphia Flyers
Carolina Hurricanes
Detroit Red Wings (Killed by Ken Holland)
New Jersey Devils
Winnipeg Jets
LA Kings
Dallas Stars
Arizona Coyotes
Vancouver Canucks
Colorado Avalanche

:rip::rip: First Round Losers :rip::rip:
Columbus Blue Jackets
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Toronto Maple Leafs
Chicago Blackhawks
Minnesota Wild
San Jose Sharks
Calgary Flames.

:rip::rip::rip: Second Round Morons :rip::rip::rip:
Washington Capitals
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
Edmonton Oilers

:rip::rip::rip::rip: Conference Final Fuckheads :rip::rip::rip::rip:
Ottawa Senators
Anaheim Ducks

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rename the thread Oilers Are Back, Baby

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Aurora posted:

Rename the thread Oilers Are Back, Baby

No no, save that for the playoff thread.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Almost time for the playoffs! :woop:

With the last spots still up for grabs, who will make it! Will the Flyers somehow snipe one? Nope. Will CBJ somehow pull off the President's Trophy? Maybe, if the Caps played like they did in Arizona more.

Is The Streak over?

Yup.

I hope the Jackets win the Presidents trophy because Pens/Caps being a first round series would be a true mockery of this playoff format.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just read that Edmonton drafted Taylor Chorney (who is form my hometown, bless his heart) over Kris LeTang back in 2005.

Yikes. No wonder they took so long to get their poo poo together with stuff like that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This is literally the first year of my life the Red Wings will not have made the playoffs.
Not that I've been a hockey fan that long (or could have been as a baby)
As fun as it is to poo poo on the Wings because gently caress any team that isn't mine that is pretty profound.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is literally the first year of my life the Red Wings will not have made the playoffs.
Not that I've been a hockey fan that long (or could have been as a baby)
As fun as it is to poo poo on the Wings because gently caress any team that isn't mine that is pretty profound.

I turn 34 on April 26th and they've only missed the playoffs three times since then. Oh and their solution to missing in '82? Drafting Steve fuckin' Yzerman.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just read that Edmonton drafted Taylor Chorney (who is form my hometown, bless his heart) over Kris LeTang back in 2005.

Yikes. No wonder they took so long to get their poo poo together with stuff like that.

Every team passed on Letang twice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Every team passed on Letang twice.

Yes but some of them got real tangible value instead of a 7th defenceman.

Calgary was uh, not one of those teams. They drafted a guy who played 17 games in the 1st (Matt Pelech), didn't have a 2nd rounder, and drafted two guys who never played in the 3rd.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Calgary clinches a playoff spot, and their owner Ken King decides it's a good time to pull the classic "Build me a new arena or the team moves"

quote:

"There would be no threat to move, we would just move, and it would be over. And I'm trying my level best to make sure that day never comes, frankly," King said during an interview on Sportsnet Fan 590 in Toronto on Wednesday.

"If people smarter than us in more powerful positions than ours don't feel that we're a critical piece of the social, economic and cultural part of our city, then who are we to argue with that?"
http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4050989

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The last time Detroit didn't make the playoffs, there were only 21 teams in the league.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Apparently the streak's gone as long as I've been alive

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aurora posted:

Apparently the streak's gone as long as I've been alive

I think this means you're going to die.

rip

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yay bruins

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Letang was a third rounder, every team passed on him twice. He was a under half a point per game in the QMJHL in his draft year, for a defenseman who would eventually have point per game seasons in the NHL. I don't think that's something you can predict and I would think it's even less relevant than most other late round steals. Chorney sucks but he's still getting NHL work on a good team 12 years later so it's not even a miss by 2nd round standards. A majority of 2nd round picks provide negligible value.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Calgary clinches a playoff spot, and their owner Ken King decides it's a good time to pull the classic "Build me a new arena or the team moves"

As with Katz doing the same it's just such a hollow threat.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I think this means you're going to die.

rip

It was a good run

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Yay two games in hand

Also, if the leafs were to win tonight and Ottawa lost they would be tied for second in the division

I'm sure they won't tho because that would be too good to be true

:ninja:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Nenshi rules, Ken King drools.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

I'd like to live in a reality where Calgary doesn't have an NHL team.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I'm slowly crawling back to SAS/Habs fandom. Am I a playoff poster now? :(

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Xtanstic posted:

So I'm slowly crawling back to SAS/Habs fandom. Am I a playoff poster now? :(

Those match the symptoms sir or madam.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Hawks clinched the West to the surprise of no one. Too bad the West is basically just them and everybody else right now. It'd be nice if somebody stops them before they reach the Stanley Cup Final yet again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kilza posted:

Hawks clinched the West to the surprise of no one. Too bad the West is basically just them and everybody else right now. It'd be nice if somebody stops them before they reach the Stanley Cup Final yet again.

Nashville Predators could do it.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Everyone should support Nashville as their West team.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Agreed, the Nashville PK Subbans are very likeable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wings fly away. Oilers gonna oil. Flames gonna flame out. Sharks are currently tanking.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Duckman2008 posted:

Nashville Predators could do it.

So could the Wild or Sharks. I'm not sure if any team actually will (the Hawks are still pretty good), but the Hawks blue line is starting to show its age a bit.

That said, the Hawks have only lost one series where they've had home ice advantage since Q has been coach (2014 to the Kings). He'll be able to mask their weak points more easily with that.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't forget the wild! They suck too now! No I'm not projecting!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JoelJoel posted:

Don't forget the wild! They suck too now! No I'm not projecting!

I honestly think this is the year the Wild and the Caps finally live up to expectations. I mean, statistically how many times can the Wild lose to the Blackhawks, or the Caps flame out in the second round?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Powershift posted:

Wings fly away. Oilers gonna oil. Flames gonna flame out. Sharks are currently tanking.

Well yea, sharks need to be in the tank just to breathe.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I honestly think this is the year the Wild and the Caps finally live up to expectations. I mean, statistically how many times can the Wild lose to the Blackhawks, or the Caps flame out in the second round?

I feel like this is tempting fate.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The Caps are gonna get the presidents trophy which guarantees a hilarious second round flame out

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Furnaceface posted:

Cubs won, Trump is president, and now the Wild and Caps get to succeed. Where's the playoff :toxx: thread?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

The wild are 1-3 in the season series against chicago. caps are 2-2 against the pens with with 35 total goals in those 4 games, 2-2 against the jackets with a game tomorrow for the season series.

A caps-pens series would be some good ol' timey hockey. It would be nice to see the caps win it there in 7 and be dead tired for the Canadiens coming from the other side of the bracket. Then Canadiens win there, oilers on the other side, oilers win the cup, habs fans burn down the city.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

A caps-pens series would be some good ol' timey hockey. It would be nice to see the caps win it there in 7 and be dead tired for the Canadiens coming from the other side of the bracket. Then Canadiens win there, oilers on the other side, oilers win the cup, habs fans burn down the city.

You know the Oilers fans will burn down Edmonton as well in this scenario, yes?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I hope the Habs win the cup so I can spend the rest of my life hearing how Shea Weber is better than PK and Goldblum is a genius at building teams.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

One of those mock expansion draft things had Vegas taking Adam McQuaid from the Bruins and I really hope they are stupid enough to do that because Adam McQuaid sucks and I hate that he is on this team.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chows posted:

One of those mock expansion draft things had Vegas taking Adam McQuaid from the Bruins and I really hope they are stupid enough to do that because Adam McQuaid sucks and I hate that he is on this team.

Was it the same one that had Vegas taking Trevor Van Riemsdyk? Because I had a good laugh at that while secretly hoping it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Schlesische posted:

You know the Oilers fans will burn down Edmonton as well in this scenario, yes?

No they don't.

When the oilers lost in 06, everybody was still having fun and getting blackout drunk. It was kinda a sadder atmostphere, but it was still a celebration, almost like a wake.

• Locked thread