Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Btw Sid did a thing the other day that was pretty dumb and almost led to a goal:

He pretty good

It sucks that we won't get to watch McDavid and Crosby on the same team next year thanks to the NHL being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

It sucks that we won't get to watch McDavid and Crosby on the same team next year thanks to the NHL being dumb.

Allow me to paraphrase DJ Exile here:

"If you want to increase popularity of your sport and the first slide of presentation on how to do so isn't 'COPY THE NBA', you're doing it wrong."

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

tofes posted:

I think I'm done watching the NHL

lol no you aren't

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

abuse culture. posted:

lol no you aren't

username/post combo

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Btw Sid did a thing the other day that was pretty dumb and almost led to a goal:

He pretty good

That's pretty good, but the way he scored via Lundqvists back while skating backwards behind the goal line while guy was trying to block him is hockey genius.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Ugh, I went back to the 94 tournament to see who the leading scorers were and man this is gonna suck:

code:
	Name				Games	Goals	Assists	Points
1	Slovakia Zigmund Palffy		8	3	7	10
2	Slovakia Miroslav Satan		8	9	0	9
3	Slovakia Peter Stastny		8	5	4	9
4	Sweden Haakan Loob		8	4	5	9
5	Italy Gates Orlando		7	3	6	9
6	Sweden Patrik Juhlin		8	7	1	8
7	Czech Republic Jiri Kucera	8	6	2	8
8	Austria Marty Dallman		7	4	4	8
9	Finland Mika Nieminen		8	3	5	8
10	United States David Sacco	8	3	5	8
11	Sweden Peter Forsberg		8	2	6	8
I'm legitimately bummed. The 98 Olympics are one of my earliest solid hockey memories. They really helped solidify my love for the sport (Marc Crawford's bonehead decisions aside). I just can't get excited for a glorified World Championships.

Maybe they can ask Palffy to play then. He can probably still put up the points

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
So when does Bettman announce the next World Cup of Hockey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

To take place one week after the cup is won and lasts until training camp, also player attendance is obligatory.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

it will now replace the preseason annually. and all the games will be played in stadiums outdoors. and it will all be 3v3. and every game will be on a wednesday. and now every country will have its own young gunz roster. :regd08:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

it will now replace the preseason annually. and all the games will be played in stadiums outdoors. and it will all be 3v3. and every game will be on a wednesday. and now every country will have its own young gunz roster. :regd08:

That sounds loving awesome

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's impossible, ice can't exist outdoors anymore.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
The only time I ever watch hockey is the olympics so lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ron Hextall will GM team Canada at the 2017 IIHF world championships

prepare for one of their goalies to kill someone

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It sucks that Mcdavid won't win olympic gold for 20 years, but i'm comforted in knowing Marchand never will.

Retirees and prospect olympic competition sounds fun, though. Ryan Smyth passing to Jaeydin waznitsky-macdonald for the gold will never match crosby to mcdavid , but whatever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Michael Bayleaf posted:

The only time I ever watch hockey is the olympics so lol

You're literally why the NHL is stopping it

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

ElwoodCuse posted:

You're literally why the NHL is stopping it

My apologies.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

iospace posted:

Allow me to paraphrase DJ Exile here:

"If you want to increase popularity of your sport and the first slide of presentation on how to do so isn't 'COPY THE NBA', you're doing it wrong."

Bettman started in the NBA :science:

(there's a long running conspiracy theory that the NBA sent him over to ruin the NHL)

Powershift posted:

It sucks that Mcdavid won't win olympic gold for 20 years, but i'm comforted in knowing Marchand never will.

Retirees and prospect olympic competition sounds fun, though. Ryan Smyth passing to Jaeydin waznitsky-macdonald for the gold will never match crosby to mcdavid , but whatever.

Ryan Smyth is dead.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

If anything, Bettman/the owners probably want to treat/pay the players like they do in the NCAA.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure players would have any incentive to, but I really want them to opt out of whatever WCH plans the NHL puts forward now.

I'm really peeved and if I had any conviction I would boycott the NHL but we all know that's not going to happen.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress the olympics they can eat poo poo

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Martin :newlol:

Whoops, wrong thread

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Matthews one away from 40. Kid's kinda good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

Matthews one away from 40. Kid's kinda good.

Aim higher, he's only 4 goals behind crosby now.

Matthews for the Rocket Richard and Calder
Mcdavid for the Art Ross and Hart
Maroon for the Masterson

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Speaking of goal milestones, JAM reached 30 goals today. Pretty cool to finally see him killing it in the NHL. A shame about the rest of the Panthers, of course.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pungry posted:

Speaking of goal milestones, JAM reached 30 goals today. Pretty cool to finally see him killing it in the NHL. A shame about the rest of the Panthers, of course.

I saw him at a Falcons/Phantoms game during the lockout and his first NHL game in Columbus.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

T-Bone posted:

(there's a long running conspiracy theory that the NBA sent him over to ruin the NHL)

that is a pretty sick theory

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
The NHL is so

loving

Stupid

In other news AUSTON MATTHEWS AHHHHHH

Also the leafs won in a nice dominant performance to make up for the previous bizarro win

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

The Golden Man posted:

gently caress the olympics they can eat poo poo

same but the Oilers

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Powershift posted:

Good point!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

T-Bone posted:

At this point, I'd believe it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The next lockout is going to be great. Good job being such shortsighted morons, NHL owners. :downs:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I only started watching hockey because people kept telling me it was the only worthwhile thing to watch at the winter olympics. Like I straight up wouldn't be a hockey person without the Olympics.

The IOC can burn in hell, but they won't have to be drinking buddies with every majors american sports league commisioner and 80% of team owners.

Whoever gave Melnyk his Kidney or whatever it was should ask for it back.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Schlesische posted:

I only started watching hockey because people kept telling me it was the only worthwhile thing to watch at the winter olympics. Like I straight up wouldn't be a hockey person without the Olympics.

The IOC can burn in hell, but they won't have to be drinking buddies with every majors american sports league commisioner and 80% of team owners.

Whoever gave Melnyk his Kidney or whatever it was should ask for it back.

Unfortunately the transplant contract contained a limited No-Take-Backsies clause - the original donor can't reclaim the kidney, but they can submit a list of 8 other potential recipients, of which Melnyk must pick one to re-donate the kidney to.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

These Sportsnet idiots going on and on about how lucky the NHL was to get out of the Olympics because now they can grow the viewership in China without hitches. :thumbsup:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because the winter olympics will never be in china, right?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

These Sportsnet idiots going on and on about how lucky the NHL was to get out of the Olympics because now they can grow the viewership in China without hitches. :thumbsup:

Rogers delenda est.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
oh boy

got playoff tickets for 3 of the 4 MTL round 1 playoff games (games 2-3-4)

if you recall, I have a 1-6 playoff record watching games live (with 4 eliminations)

I'm sorry HAS :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

stab posted:

oh boy

if you recall, I have a 1-6 playoff record watching games live (with 4 eliminations)

I'm sorry HAS :(

You're a hero.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

stab posted:

games 3 and 4 aren't in Montreal though? and we don't even know who they'll be playing yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
also: Bruins clinch with a regulation win tonight. Leafs can clinch with a non-shootout win + a Tampa Bay loss of any kind.

• Locked thread