Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals have an unfair reputation about being second round chokers.

They've choked plenty of times in the first round too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Do not referee children's sports. I've had my life threatened on more than one occasion while doing so.

If you feel like you must be a referee then referee adult rec leagues. They are far easier to deal with than rabid parents.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wilson hosed up and I hate him but lol at John Carlson, the team's supposed #1 D, also getting burned. He and Alzner are just complete garbage these days.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Carlson has under performed for sure, but loving Alzner, it would not surprise me to find out he's hurt again (or still suffering lingering after effects from his surgery), but refuses to take a day off because of his dumb streak. I'd love to see Schmidt get some time over Alzner and Orpik, but Trotz will never do it.

I think he's still injured too and I agree Schmidt should probably replace him. Alzner's saving grace is that he doesn't ever make the soul crushing mistake (and probably why Trotz keeps him in) but man he just bleeds the team to death. I mean he's a fine enough PKer and I guess he is ok at very late lead-protecting situations but honestly so is the entire Capitals blue line including Orpik.

Some team is going to be really disappointed when they sign Alzner and realize he's Kris Russell.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Please someone give Ovechkin a Stanley Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPd7IWaYus&t=69s

Ovechkin gets sucker punched by Anderson, then gives Anderson a bloody nose and chirps him about it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I wish the most competitive hockey league in the world wasn't run by a bunch of boobs.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Lol Ovi couldn't even pretend to care about the upcoming playoffs or anything. No wonder Russian players get stereotyped like that.

I'm going to assume this is a drunkpost.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

"I'd rather hear some cliche non-answer to a question about the playoffs than hear an unfiltered response to a recent controversial news item."

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Slappy Pappy posted:

gently caress yeah. I hope the Caps let all their players go and get medals. The Washington Capitals will not be good for 6 or 7 games without Ovechkin, Backstrom, Holtby, Kuznetsov, Carlson, Orlov, Johansson, Oshie (assuming he re-signs), Grubauer (assuming he's not snagged by LV) and maybe Vrana but who cares. I hope they put everyone on short-term IR and use the extra cap money to make some crazy UFA acquisitions. Let's see - who will be a UFA in 2018?

Tavares
Nash
Little
E Kane
Fowler
Hornqvist
Backlund
Turris

A boy can dream.

If the Olympics were today, and assuming all the likely Olympics participants from the Caps are allowed to participate, the lines during the Olympics would probably look something like this:

Brett Connolly-Lars Eller-Justin Williams
Chris Bourque-Travis Boyd-Andre Burakovsky
Daniel Winnik-Jay Beagle-Tom Wilson
Paul Carey-Chandler Stephenson-Riley Barber

Karl Alzner-Matt Niskanen
Brooks Orpik-Kevin Shattenkirk
Nate Schmidt-Taylor Chorney

Pheonix Copley
Vitek Vanacek

Looking at it like this makes the 2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins that much more impressive.

FWIW USA should probably take Niskanen and Shattenkirk over Carlson, who has turned into a real pumpkin over the past two years.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Clarke MacArthur is going to die so that Eugene Melnyk gets two or three more home games worth of revenue this season.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

So award chat. Does Burns still deserve the Norris? Karlsson has closed the gap in points and has a trillion blocked shots and plays two more minutes a game. Gets harder zone starts too. Burns has out performed him from a possession standpoint though but part of that is to be expected given Burns is deployed much more in the o-zone

I'm pretty sure Shea Weber won the Norris after his fantastic performance in the month October.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Letang out 4-6 months with a herniated cervical disc. That is really a huge blow to Pittsburgh's chances.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe Letang and his cervix shouldn't be playing a man's game!

:agreed:

So who is Pittsburgh's #1 defenseman now? Schultz? Dumoulin?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I know it doesn't mean much but it's kind of cool seeing your favorite team crush another regular season.

Now please win Ovechkin a Cup.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I would love the Senators to move down to the WC2 to play the Capitals. Not really interested in playing the Bruins in the first round.

Chad Sexington posted:

I enjoyed this regular check as well.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/849791277927452672

At least they're not limping into the playoffs this year, but I am getting nervous as the playoffs get closer.

Orlov is really good and I hope they sign him long-term this summer instead of a bridge deal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm very interested to see if Tampa or the Islanders can beat the odds here and take the last playoff spot.

I'm a fan of the Islanders making that last playoff spot, especially since Tavares doesn't look like he'll be available in the first round should they make it.

But gently caress Tampa Bay. As much as I want to go to some Capitals playoff games in Tampa (where I live), I'd much rather not face that nightmare of a team.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Columbus is probably going to be playing hard for a victory given their current losing streak. I can't imagine Torts playing it safe in the midst of a 5 game losing streak. Pittsburgh might let the foot off the gas a bit but they are still stupidly talented even if they end up resting Crosby and a few others. I'd imagine Malkin would play if healthy though to get him back up to game speed.

Also remember that it's not just the Lightning, it's the Islanders who could overtake the Leafs and their schedule is @NJ and OTT, so I could easily seem them winning both.

I'd still bet against the Leafs missing, but it's not a super longshot or anything.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 7, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My favorite thing about that is about how crappy Doc Emrick's call was.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hope the Capitals re-sign Shattenkirk and, if need be, trade Carlson to the moon to make it possible. He's such a huge upgrade unlike pretty much every single Capitals deadline acquisition going back to like Fedorov and Huet.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Oshie's good but he's really benefitting from an absurd shooting percentage. I'd like to re-sign him but his contract is really going to suck in like 2 or 3 years. I think Shattenkirk's long deal will likely age better.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

How many more good years have Ovechkin and Backstrom got? They work so drat good with Oshie and we've been searching for somebody to compliment them for so drat long. That trio can rule the NHL for another 3 years at the least, it's worth it.

Shattenkirk is worth it too, but locking up that top line is so much more valuable.

I get that and if their mindset is "we know this is an overpay and we'll deal with the consequences later" then I guess it's not the worst move in the world. He's certainly not going to turn into garbage even if his shooting percentage returns to normal. I guess I'm just not sold on the Capitals not being able to compete when Ovechkin and Backstrom start really degrading. They have some nice young pieces across the board that should keep them competitive for a long time.

I'm also really low on Carlson and I'd hate to lose him for nothing when he is a UFA next year, but I want no part of re-signing Carlson at what is likely going to be at least Shattenkirk money. I'd much rather just give Shattenkirk that same contract, if he's not already set on the Rangers, and try to trade Carlson for what is likely to be a very good return in the offseason. Letting Carlson walk for nothing next offseason seems like really poor asset management and while they could get an okay return for Carlson like the Blues got for Shattenkirk at the deadline, they could get a lot more in the offseason I would think.

Shattenkirk, Niskanen, Orlov, and Schmidt is a very good hypothetical top 4.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 9, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Leafs only need a point tomorrow to avoid the Caps. I'd rather play the Leafs and their lovely defense than the Bruins so go Jackets.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

I'm fully on the caps bandwagon now. It's gonna be weird agreeing with mind taker

Come to Butt-Head

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Looks like it'll be BOS vs. WSH and TOR vs. OTT unless Columbus score 3 unanswered in regulation.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, say "Pittsburgh is going to win their first-round series" this time.

Come on, do it! You know you wanna!

Pittsburgh is going to win their first round series.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

And somehow the Avalanche finished 21 points lower in the standings than the Canucks. They were worse than the recent Sabres teams that were quite obviously tanking from the start.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like the Panthers would have been better if roster spots weren't wasted by players like Shawn Thornton, Derek MacKenzie, and Greg McKegg for large portions of the year. And losing Brian Campbell hurt a bunch too.

Also whoof Nick Bjugstad had a terrible year: 14 points in 54 games and a ~45% CF%.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

He'll probably re-sign because that's what all these young free-agents do but what else is he supposed to say right now?

"Nah, I really don't want to re-sign with the Islanders because they have given me garbage coaching and roster support" sounds cool but it really wouldn't go over well with anyone.

edit: That being said if any young big-name free agent were to leave I think Tavares leaving makes a lot of sense. Unlike Stamkos, Tavares is in a heavily taxed state and is on a team that really doesn't have a shot of competing any time soon.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 10, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He was hired purely because he was a star for the Kings.

No, they did a thoroughly exhaustive search of all GM candidates and found that Rob Blake just happened to be the best candidate possible. Just like Garth Snow just happened to be the best option for the Islanders, Sakic for the Avalanche, Francis for the Hurricanes, Hextall for the Flyers, etc.

Also all of the above teams are really good at hockey.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think they need to decrease scoring some more to get better ratings. Maybe re-institute the foot in the crease rule?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sources-eichel-has-no-desire-sign-extension-if-bylsma-remains-coach

quote:

Inside sources have told me that Eichel has no desire to sign a contract extension this summer if Bylsma remains the coach, so quite a bit hinges on this meeting.

See ya Disco.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I've never been impressed with Bylsma since he got to Buffalo. I get that he doesn't have much talent to work with but it's not the 2013-15 Sabres where they had literally an AHL roster. His continued insistence on using Ristolainen as an all-situations 25+ minutes defenseman seems really bad.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ryan Lambert may have okay hockey opinions but he is a terrible writer. His tweets are usually snarky and good but his columns are really painful to read.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

E: where the hell does that leave Buffalo at this point?

Dean Lombardi and Daryl Sutter are going to grind the Sabres into paste.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm not sure Murray deserved to be fired but I'm also not sure why he gave Ristolainen that insane contract. Ristolainen stinks and maybe Murray doesn't know how to build a defense.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

What? $5.4M seems quite reasonable for a 45 point defenceman.

His offensive impact is mostly on the PP. He is absolutely brutal at even strength in terms of possession (worst on the team when adjusting for score and zone starts) and he doesn't really score a lot given his large number of minutes (90th out of 133 qualified defensemen in points/60 at 5v5, or about the same as players like Jordie Benn or Marc Methot).

I'm not really sure what they see in him to think he's a #1 defenseman, other than he seems like a fine PP QB.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 20, 2017

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

He's not a Norris Trophy type, but there's nothing wrong with a good PPQB getting paid. There are a hell of a lot of much crappier players getting paid a bunch more. His career reminds me of Alex Edler so far. He was great offensively to start, but a real wreck in his own end. Eventually he morphed into a pure defensive guy and he's now pretty much invaluable to the Canucks back end. Edler was never a 'build your franchise around him' type, but he worked his way up the lineup to be a very respectable top pairing defenceman. I figure something similar happens to Ristolainen, and if not he's still a very good powerplay guy and that's not nothing.

Being a good PP QB is not nothing, but it can't be everything either for that contract. He's a complete wreck at everything else and makes his teammates worse at even strength.

Maybe it turns around for him under a new coach, but committing to him for that long and for that much seems like a overreaction to the PK Subban contract situation in Montreal rather than making an accurate evaluation of the player and making a good gamble.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If he didn't play 26 minutes a night with the toughest zone stsrts on the team he'd probably be a bit better!

Generally zone-starts are highly overrated when it comes to player evaluation since most shifts start on the fly anyways. Also Franson, for example, had similar zone starts and still managed to finish as a positive relative possession player while Ristolainen was their worst relative possession player.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think the lawsuit against Wideman is bullshit because it seemed pretty clear he was out of sorts from getting his bell rung and didn't intentionally try to hurt Henderson.

I know we had this argument last year about intent and many people disagreed but I'm really still kind of shocked that people are in favor of him being sued for $10 million. That's horseshit. Henderson deserves something but there has to be some sort of insurance that covers these types of accidents on the ice, right?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think there is a case to be made for him not doing anything purposefully at all, especially if he didn't see him until the last second (which I can believe, given that his head was just slammed into the boards like 5-10 seconds earlier). I really think he instinctively raised his arms at the last second to protect himself rather than trying to make contact with him and the video really makes it hard for me to believe the alternative that he set out to deck the guy.

• Locked thread