Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

:stonk:

Do they know what happened?

Suddenly realized what team he's playing for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure there is to a degree but imo NHL refs are among the best of any in pro sports (not saying much, granted) and generally do a pretty good job.

I mean especially compared to baseball and basketball officiating they're amazing in comparison

Or how about decisions made by race control in basically any motorsport series on the planet. If you think the NHL has a lot of "this thing racers are doing is okay oh wait no it's not you punished bro" try watching F1 for a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On re-reading that post I said some things in a stupid way that does not stand up to scrutiny but you get my point. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well Chicago has secured the conference so the final determination is all in the hands of St. Louis, Calgary, and Nashville now. And maybe San Jose.

I think a Calgary Chicago matchup would be fresh and exciting because it hasn't happened in a while. And when it did, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEveabtsUUI

edit - i am a dumb

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 3, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Flyers last 3 games are @NJ, who's been long since eliminated, vs. CBJ Saturday (who will likely be locked in their spot by then and resting guys) and vs. eliminated Carolina Sunday night. There is going to be some amazing dont-give-a-poo poo hockey played in those games.

I was a little amused by the post on reddit that claimed the Flyers are the first team in NHL history to have a 10 game win streak in a season and miss the playoffs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Welp that pretty much confirms another massive lockout the next time the CBA is due for a refresh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

Bettman must have a megaboner at the idea of using the Olympics as a bargaining chip in the next lockout.

Someone should check his hands for burns, try to verify if he was high fiving satan while no one was looking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

People who own sports teams are garbage people.

"we love the fans thank you for being loyal and supporting your favorite team!! in appreciation the first 10,000 of you to show up to a game can get this awesome sponsored towel!!"

"oh you want to see these athletes compete around the world? well gently caress off you cretins"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yellowcar posted:

Just cancel hockey at the Olympics now.

Canada becomes the eternal champions of Olympic hockey.

That actually might be fair because it's looking like no canadian team will ever win a stanley cup again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JawKnee posted:

you think he's a blackhawks fan?

Well duh, how do you think the Blackhawks get so many favorable calls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

So when does Bettman announce the next World Cup of Hockey

To take place one week after the cup is won and lasts until training camp, also player attendance is obligatory.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's impossible, ice can't exist outdoors anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHLPA could force the cage issue if they wanted and the NHL wouldn't have much of a defense. "Oh yeah we totally cool with our assets worth millions getting their face smashed in and care about it so much we'll force a lockout to keep visors." Good luck defending that.

But the players just don't give a poo poo because rawr hockey players are just that tough!

Until there's some momentum nothing will change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Guys don't wear cages in beer league. We're a very long ways away from mandating cages.

It seems based on skill level. Cage use with first time skaters is basically 100% around me, and goes down as you beer league games go up in divisions. I don't see the games played by ex pros or college players because I'm a bad but I assume visors are dominant up there.

I guess confidence makes you invincible, until you get nailed. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago has played like rear end against Colorado for several years. They just can't handle bad teams.

Was the same with the Oilers for a while, Chicago against Edmonton was basically a guaranteed loss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The correct solution is to just play OT until someone scores, playoff style. No ties, no loser points.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

5 years playing hockey and I've never gotten a chin zit from my cage.

Maybe you should invest in some cleaning products. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a 10 point system so you can divide out points based on all kids of criteria.

Got a misconduct? Ouch that's -2 points.

Failed a challenge? -1 point.

Bettman favors you? +4 points.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh heck yeah, youtube flipped on their tv service just in time for playoffs:

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome

Relevance to hockey is it has NBCSN, CSN, and FS which I think will get US folks almost all hockey games.

If you live in one of the 5 cities that have it turned on that is (New York, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and Philadelphia).

$35 a month makes it pretty competitive to the other two options for streaming hockey (sling and vue). It's better than sling because it has dvr features, better than vue because it's cheaper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Spoiler alert: we all eventually die.

It's one thing to know that and another to actually experience it.

Watching stuff die loving sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Word is Marchand was tired of people paying attention to his scoring ability.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this the point where Leafs, Habs, or Chicago fans butt in and start complaining a lot about the cost of games?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

if i lived in any one of these cities, i would literally never go to a professional hockey game.

Only "pro" hockey I've been to since Chicago's second cup is AHL games. Much as I love seeing the blackhawks play, spending three hours driving in the garbage fire that is the Chicago highway system and $1000 for decent seats just ain't worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

I'm going to a wolves game Saturday. Much better

Weekday games are even better. Seats on the glass for $20 if you want, parking lot is 1/6 full.

Icehogs have a really good arena for spectating too, if you can stomach the drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Jesus Christ what?

They have no home games left this season so I can't show examples, but 100 level seats are commonly $400+. 200 level will be $300+. Plus you gotta pay for parking.

So $1000 is actually higher than actual cost if my wife and I wanted to attend, but not by much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Boy do I hope Canada/the NHL cares more about sexual assault/rape than Americans appear to because that is loving disgusting

Spoiler alert: they don't.

At least, not enough to matter. They'll be outraged for a week or two and then forget about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, the best possible outcome is another game seven choke.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good soup! posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers will unfortunately be unable to win the Stanley Cup. :(

You'll never get anywhere in life with a defeatist attitude like that. They just need to dig in, simplify their game, and get more pucks on net!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is Adam Oates up to these days?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, Sutter being available better have a bunch of teams rushing for the phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sutter is that bug alien from MIB that wears human skin for disguise, from a planet where everyone plays defense only.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aren't the Stars in a position where it doesn't matter who runs the bench because they have scrubs for goaltenders?

Or did their goalies redeem themselves at all, never really watched the stars this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What would be cool is if he could make it into the NHL now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think there are any women who could play in the NHL, and having them as a gimmick in the preseason seems like kind of a lovely thing to do to sell tickets.

My curiosity is more about what happens if they start taking hormone supplements (and it doesn't run afoul of league doping policy). If they bulk up, could a transgender professional hockey player physically compete in the NHL?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The NFL's ratings were down too and everyone blamed "the election."

Maybe the NBA/NHL can blame Trump too. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ala carte channels will never happen. The channels you want subsidize the ones you don't. The theory is that enough people watch at least one channel in a package that they all make money.

If you got only the stuff you wanted, the whole TV economy would fall apart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

Younger generations are realizing cable TV is garbage. You pay $100 for a thing that's 35% unskippable ads to watch a show when they say you have to watch it, when 80% of it is free online the next day? naw. hell naw.

Even the steaming options are lovely, they're cheaper, which is nice. But they allow the network to determine ad policy, which basically guarantees you're going to be watching unskipabble ads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo this is an awesome find, boxc

E: godddd i miss those bowling ball Jofa helmets like Foligno had

http://www.olympia-composites.com/category-s/114.htm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, and goons are the best coaches too. And referees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mostly the fact that every single person in the US wants him out of broadcasting.

Him loving up an NHL team is actually preferable.

• Locked thread