Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/anthonyzych/status/848229988004499457

This is the guy who did all those CBJ game day posters last season, so if you liked those and your team's going to the playoffs, you might get some sweet artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mike_V posted:

Today's Preds/Blues game is going to decide who gets 3rd in the central, I think.

I would imagine Caps/Jackets today probably pretty much seals up the Metro crown and (maybe) President's Trophy with a Washington win. Chicago would be -5 (with three games to go), CBJ -6, PIT -7 on the Caps if they'd win in regulation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was ready to drink bleach at the end of the second period tonight and then I felt better about my team in the third. Bring on the playoff preview Tuesday.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Will anyone remember CBJ was even in the playoffs come the 2nd round?

Pittsburgh will either have put them in their rearview mirror in a likely physical series or eliminated, at which point CBJ would get Washington which, based upon tonight, will be an entertaining series full of :unsmigghh:.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, at least Jack Johnson Sportgame worked tonight:

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/848690491529076736

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Caps/CBJ had a couple highlight reel goals. JMFJ's, the one where Kuznetsov had like 16 square inches in which to get the puck past Bob high glove side and somehow buried it.

Also, Kyle Quincey scored his second goal in four games.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/848737228524318720

Ovie left his feet and it was at least the fourth big hit the Dispatch guys counted on Werenski (Wilson x2, Kuznetzov), but it may not warrant anything additional.

ThinkTank posted:

The pre-season prediction thread is archived now, but I gotta say I really nailed this one:

and this one

:smug:

I considered putting the CBJ as high as 4th in the prediction thread but even I didn't believe it was likely. I also thought about Torts as the Jack Adams to be a smartass. Oops.

Did get Sam Gagner as the East's bounceback player, though. He'd have to be in the running.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How the hell have the Caps only had 42 man-games lost to injury all season? That's insane.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Please someone give Ovechkin a Stanley Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPd7IWaYus&t=69s

Ovechkin gets sucker punched by Anderson, then gives Anderson a bloody nose and chirps him about it.

Sucker punch? All I saw was a run-of-the-mill-in-a-scrum jab which finally set Ovie off after he skated away from Hartnell. That whole thing probably had to do with Ovechkin breaking Werenski earlier in the period, which is apparently being reviewed by the NHL but probably won't (and probably shouldn't) result in anything.

I agree in general, though. Give that man a Cup someday. Anybody who celebrates every goal with the enthusiasm of Vinny Prospal rules in my book.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

To be fair, no one was picking Columbus, so this is slightly unfair to single out one particular person. Then again, this is the fun of predictions.

Oh definitely. I didn't even give Columbus the credit I wanted to because I certainly didn't think they were better than PIT/WSH/NYR and wondered about NYI and Philly.

quote:

Currently 6th in goals scored. Oddly, only have 3 20+ goal scorers, with Gagner having an outside chance of becoming the fourth.

Their scoring has been more spread out this season. They only had 7 10+ goal scorers last year as compared to 11 this year (Calvert could make 12 with one more). Two players who weren't on the team last year have 10+ (Gagner, Werenski), and a third (Jones) was there half the season. One of the 20+ guys (Jenner; 30) slumped hard out of the gate, as did Dubinsky. Their scoring was made up for by Gagner, Wennberg, and Foligno. (Both Dubi and Jenner eventually rallied, at 11 and 16 respectively.).

DJExile posted:

Flyers last 3 games are @NJ, who's been long since eliminated, vs. CBJ Saturday (who will likely be locked in their spot by then and resting guys) and vs. eliminated Carolina Sunday night. There is going to be some amazing dont-give-a-poo poo hockey played in those games.

CBJ will have something to play for if they're shooting for home ice. They're one point behind Pittsburgh with a game against them tomorrow (and I guess are reasonably ahead in the ROW tiebreaker), then host Winnipeg and travel to Philadelphia and Toronto. Even if they lose to PIT, the last three should be winnable games.

That said, Boomer and I were talking last night and, even though it'd be nice, wonder if home ice is something they'd have to have to win the series. Win one in Pittsburgh (as they did in 13-14) and the CBJ wind up with home ice over the last (up to) 5 games.

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/848942677722669058

Ekman-Larsson will miss the Coyotes final 3 games after his mother died from cancer.

:(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pungry posted:

Speaking of goal milestones, JAM reached 30 goals today. Pretty cool to finally see him killing it in the NHL. A shame about the rest of the Panthers, of course.

I saw him at a Falcons/Phantoms game during the lockout and his first NHL game in Columbus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

stab posted:

oh boy

got playoff tickets for 3 of the 4 MTL round 1 playoff games (games 2-3-4)

if you recall, I have a 1-6 playoff record watching games live (with 4 eliminations)

I'm sorry HAS :(

I just got tickets for Game 1 or 3 of the Border War (depending on who gets home ice) for $100 plus fees. I may go back and grab other game tickets depending on how prices are later- I snagged Game 4 (The MAF Game) tickets in 2014 for $67 three hours before the game.

I also have a quadricep sprain in my knee and I'm hoping I'm able to go. :( :ohdear:

violent sex idiot posted:

they oilers have lost all 22 games ive attended stretching back like 20 years

J--Jesus, I can't even imagine. :stare:

Like, I went to CBJ games during some dark times (including most everything between 2005-06 and 2013 except 2008-09, in retrospect) but at least they won some of them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Yeah, since Prout is suspended, someone else is going to have to step up and get their face caved in

Prout suspended, Quincey useful.

Cool.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pittsburgh/CBJ in the first round is going to be a battle of a team with a Vezina goalie and strong defense stuck on a quota of 1-2 goals per game but has given up an ungodly number of bizarre/unlucky goals of late against one which can't stay healthy but still has the embarassment of riches in Crosby, Kessel, probably Malkin, and Murray on the ice.

From my side, all I can say is I hope the old man gets that scoring thing fixed or this is gonna be a real short trip OK HIT IT!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If the Rags win out and CBJ lose out, who gets the privilege of WC1?

I mean, playoff seeding means nothing if you can't score, but New York can have the Yinzers at this point.

Also, I've never seen an NHL game with a tie and I don't want to, either, though the purgatory of "Well, they didn't lose" may not be too terrible.

Hand Knit posted:

Fun with tiebreaks:

Yeah, I saw this last night and it took me a second to figure out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/commie22/status/849643175907966980

This is kind of entertaining.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pungry posted:

This makes a first round Pens-Jackets series a reality, huh? That blows. A lot harder to choose between than it was in 2014 since both teams absolutely deserve to go farther. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the playoffs system is terrible.

I can't wait for good Yinzers on social media to put CBJ fans back in their place in the most obnoxious way possible if the Pens win the series.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.nhl.com/news/coyotes-surprise-fan-with-spot-in-team-picture/c-288482164?tid=281396148

Aww...don't move the Yotes. :3:

Ginette Reno posted:

If the Caps can't win it all this year I don't know what to say. Letang is gone, Werenski is gone(?), the rest of the East is whatever, and nobody in the West is on their level except Chicago.

What's interesting about this point is that the Caps broke Werenski. He's "day-to-day with an upper-body injury" because apparently nobody seems to want to be specific with injuries anymore.

The hope is that Oliver "STRO, THE MAESTRO OF HOCKEY...OOH, LA LA" Bjorkstrand coming back might spark some offense.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it sucks because I want them both to lose. The Penguins because I don't want to see a repeat champion, the Blue Jackets because their fans (well maybe not the ones who post here) are getting a little cocky now that they've had one good regular season, and also another reason I'm not going to go into further detail about.

I can't speak for most fans, some of whom are probably just excited their team isn't a flaming trash fire for once in their/our team's miserable existence, but I'm tempering my excitement because there's this nagging fear in the back of my mind that this whole thing is liable to go to poo poo next season. :ohdear:

...if not this season unless they can start scoring some goals like they did before, because a first-round exit would be a blue-ballin' of tremendous proportions. :shepicide:

Fateo McMurray posted:

So she was very pretty, huh?

Ok, now I kinda want to know what caused Jamwad to hate my perennial dog poo, occasional decent franchise.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Duck Rodgers posted:

Jack Roslovic, first ever Columbus born player drafted into the NHL, will make his NHL debut with the Jets tonight in Columbus. Apparently his parents have season tickets right behind the visitors bench

Aaron Portzline's Twitter feed is an interesting read about this:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849964925455917057

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849965105152491522

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849967742367277056

https://twitter.com/Aportzline

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

What's happening exactly? Paul Maurice is bringing in every Ohio player's family for the game?

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849964136830205952

Roslovic, Kuraly, and the Sherwood brothers (I think Kole is the one who earned an ELC out of last summer's development camp with the CBJ and just went to Cleveland like last week) are all Columbus-born kids in/with a good chance to head to the NHL. Connor Murphy (Coyotes) also grew up in Columbus while his dad was an assistant under Hitchcock.

Maurice/the Jets wanted to get Roslovic in a game at some point before the end of the season and figured Columbus was the place to do it given what he saw about hockey in the area while living there.

e- There are like 10 Tweets in all on Porty's feed, but here are quotes from Maurice:
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849968464718696448
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849968758512906240
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/849968975962419200

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 6, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

StubHub is showing that first round tickets for the games in Columbus are significantly more expensive than in Pittsburgh. :confused:

If I didn't have to work and had more confidence in my team, my rear end might have taken a road trip.

https://www.stubhub.com/columbus-blue-jackets-tickets/performer/6350/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps are even cheaper right now: https://www.stubhub.com/washington-capitals-tickets/performer/762/

I hate doing the playoff ticket dance. Do you wait for the elimination games? Do you hold your money for later rounds and risk not going to any games? How many games do you go to? What if you're a jinx?

$50 is basically regular season prices though. I guess I should go in early.

My strategy in 2014 (and again this year): Get tickets to one, maybe two games in the first round on the off chance the resale market either runs out of tickets or the few tickets which are left are overpriced by people trying to capitalize on the low supply, hold out to see if prices dip for other games. Squirrel money away for later rounds depending on funding and whether or not your team has a decent shot to get to said further rounds.

In '14, I accidentally got tickets to Games 3 and 6 not realizing StubHub's definition of "Home Game 1 and 3" was different than what I thought it meant. My dad and I then snagged tickets to Game 4 for like $65 a piece three hours before the game (and thank Christ we did because that was the MAF game). I also went all-out because I didn't see the CBJ beating Pittsburgh and, sure enough.

I have tickets to Game 1/3 (depending on seeding) this year and will evaluate how the series is going/what my schedule is before I explore more. I was a lot more confident about getting out of Round 1 a couple weeks ago than I am now.

:smug:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Could not smell, but following the on-ice action did indeed stink.

I will happily return to the upper bowl slums for the playoffs so I can actually watch the action instead of throwing suggestive looks at Nick Backstrom all game.

Lower bowl seats below about 10 rows from the top of the section are the most overrated seats in sports. You get some combination of the benches, penalty boxes, and/or curved glass which kinda gives that weird fish bowl effect to the rink. I once had to watch the finish of a Canes/CBJ game on the jumbotron because I couldn't actually see the action.

For that matter, Row A in the upper bowl at Nationwide (and probably your barn) sucks too because the protective glass creates a line right through your line of sight. I got Row A in 215 for the last Panthers game at Nationwide and had to move up to the empty seats in B behind because I was getting a headache watching the CBJ defend through glass but attack with my own eyes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/850353424977866753

Wow, OK, this is interesting. He was just assigned to Cleveland. I know the CBJ traded up to take him 29th overall in 2015.

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/850353754444619777

This, too, is also interesting, and I hope there are some statewide TV games should the Monsters make the AHL playoffs because he sounds like a beast.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson makes his NHL debut today on a pair with Seth Jones. CBJ took him 29th overall in 2015 after trading back into the first round to get him.

Torts says Werenski will be back for the playoffs. :getin:

While we're at it, here's how Markus Nutivaara went from a Finnish beer league to the NHL: http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170407/blue-jackets--nutivaara-blue-liner-from-out-of-blue

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 8, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob starts today in Philadelphia, which leads one to presume that Korpisalo goes tomorrow against Toronto.

You're welcome, LAS.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Basically the Pens and BJs are doing everything in their power to help the Leafs get in and lol if they gently caress that up.

The Jackets are on a run similar to that which got Richards fired and Torts hired at the other end of a season's schedule. If the Leafs lose tomorrow, they probably deserve to be out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Toronto/Ottawa and Boston/Washington sound like intriguing series. Therefore, I will sacrifice the CBJ's last chance at a 50-win season to make it so.

...because they probably aren't going to win anyway.

e- Or a three point game and CBJ get 50 anyway. I'll take that. Toronto only needs one point to move to 3rd, right?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/zekebud/status/851214294209486848

The fancy stats say it's not that bad? :ohdear:

Mind_Taker posted:

Looks like it'll be BOS vs. WSH and TOR vs. OTT unless Columbus score 3 unanswered in regulation.

There's one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Looks like it'll be BOS vs. WSH and TOR vs. OTT unless Columbus score 3 unanswered in regulation.

There's two.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

We didn't need regulation. We just needed a period.

Blame this man, LAS.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Hey, say "Pittsburgh is going to win their first-round series" this time.

Come on, do it! You know you wanna!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

And the winner of the Washington Capitals first round opponent lottery is!...Toronto.

Mind_Taker posted:

Pittsburgh is going to win their first round series.

Ginette Reno posted:

Of course they are. Then they get to beat the Caps minus Letang because of course that would happen.

No, see, he's trying to carry the Leafs jinx he just did to the Pens.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

sprague is this you in the shirt c/d

It's me, I'm Auston Matthews.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jovial Cow posted:

This is why hockey is awesome.

Completely unrelated, does anyone remember when the NHL releases the schedule? Is it tonight after the games wrap up or is it later Monday some time?

Aaron Portzline says tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Last 10 games for the dominant teams in the Metro:
WSH- 8-2-0
PIT- 4-4-2
CBJ- 3-5-2
NYR- 3-4-3

Uh, wow. I hadn't paid attention to anybody other than my own team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

We can now compare the matchups in this format to what they would've been as God intended (1/8 seeding). Assuming the two division winners are still 1 and 2:

1) Washington vs 8) Toronto. Leafs don't avoid the crappy draw here.
2) Montreal vs 7) Boston. :getin:
3) Pittsburgh vs 6) Ottawa. Meh.
4) Columbus vs 5) New York Rangers. The Ballad of Rick Nash.

1) Chicago vs 8) Nashville. Does not change.
2) Anaheim vs 7) Calgary. Also does not change.
3) Minnesota vs 6) St. Louis/San Jose tiebreaker loser.
4) Edmonton vs 5) St. Louis/San Jose tiebreaker winner.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good for Hitch. I thought he said he was retiring after the end of the year, but alrighty.

DJExile posted:

Steve Mason calling out the goalie platoon idea

There was that one time where there was an unofficial goalie competition in Columbus and he got blown the gently caress out of the water by :cop:.

Boomer and I were talking about the idea of him coming back as a backup next season if Korpi is lost to Vegas and it's intriguing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

FOX Sports Ohio reports Zach Werenski has apparently earned the right to finish 3rd to Auston Matthews and Patrik Laine in the Calder race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Feels like home. :smith:

Powershift posted:

If you'll forgive me for re-using the same joke 2 days in a row. It seems tonight the blue jackets will be a little more blue.

:effort:

• Locked thread