Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just read that Edmonton drafted Taylor Chorney (who is form my hometown, bless his heart) over Kris LeTang back in 2005.

Yikes. No wonder they took so long to get their poo poo together with stuff like that.
Letang was a third rounder, every team passed on him twice. He was a under half a point per game in the QMJHL in his draft year, for a defenseman who would eventually have point per game seasons in the NHL. I don't think that's something you can predict and I would think it's even less relevant than most other late round steals. Chorney sucks but he's still getting NHL work on a good team 12 years later so it's not even a miss by 2nd round standards. A majority of 2nd round picks provide negligible value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Calgary clinches a playoff spot, and their owner Ken King decides it's a good time to pull the classic "Build me a new arena or the team moves"

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4050989
As with Katz doing the same it's just such a hollow threat.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I honestly think this is the year the Wild and the Caps finally live up to expectations. I mean, statistically how many times can the Wild lose to the Blackhawks, or the Caps flame out in the second round?
What expectations are we talking about for the Wild? They were always the lower seed, huge underdogs against the 'Hawks in particular and they still ended up winning 2 different series. I don't think they're that good this year either, but it's the first year where I think there are real expectations placed on them.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, they improved over the season but so do most cup winners. Generally the team with the best record over the last 20-30 games of the season has the highest chance of winning the cup. With that said, the Kings didn't show any sustained improvement from year to year. They got better for exactly 1/3 of a season and a cup run. They then were basically exactly the same mediocre team they were the next year, and then again the year after that until they got Gaborik (who I assume you're talking about).

Outside of two short stretches, they were never a consistent top level team. Every team can and will play well for stretches, the Flyers won ten in a row this year. It's just that the Kings had two impeccably timed runs of outstanding play.
Yeah, and the 120 point pace based on ~20 games after the Carter trade isn't really unique. The Flames are on ~140 point pace in their 20, and you had teams like the 2015 Senators, 2009 Blues who went on wild runs to end the season without being anything special.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Bettman is such a miserable prick.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gotta love how they're doing the games in China followed immediately by this.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, that announcement was the writing on the wall for me. It was an obvious backup plan for breaking into the Chinese market if the Olympics didn't work. It's not gonna draw any meaningful interest though. Pro sports teams showing up to play an exhibition game somewhere else is a novelty at best. The Olympics legitimizes anything and will ensure serious attention.

The NHL probably killed any real efforts into making inroads into China over $14M. That seems like a worthwhile gamble to me.

Oh well, the Canada-Sweden snoozefest will likely go down as the last NHL Olympic game ever. What a disappointing ending.
It's the shittiest loving plan in the history of civilization.

I remember at one point in the 2000's they scheduled games in Puerto Rico because MLB was doing that... business with the Expos, and that's usually what I think of with Bettman and co's "international strategy".

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Thufir posted:

There are also plenty of mediocre American and Canadian players in the KHL and other European leagues. Like Barry Brust and Nigel Dawes which are totally not names I just made up.

edit: lol Dawes got Kazak citizenship so he could play for them at Worlds so I guess he is out.
I remember Nigel Dawes. He led the world Juniors in scoring one year and was sort of a real NHL prospect but had very little physical ability.

T-Bone posted:

I really enjoy how they can't even hide their contempt in that announcement.

And the NHLPA has now publicly confirmed that it has no interest or intention of being extorted.
Haha

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'm glad Russia will win.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Lol Ovi couldn't even pretend to care about the upcoming playoffs or anything. No wonder Russian players get stereotyped like that.
You're an idiot.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Which is considered the tougher league historically to score in, the WHL or OHL?
WHL

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Doug MacLean is blaming the NHL not being in the Olympics on Donald Fehr

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The Blocked Shots argument

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Loqieu posted:

Caps are gonna be the heavy favorite for the playoffs now that Letang is out.
There's no such thing as a heavy favourite in this day and age.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They ruined the Nuge

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Friedman just talked about the possibility of Dallas Eakins as Florida coach

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Who are the "hot" coaching candidates?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone should give Jim Montgomery a good look

He's pretty good
It was him and Eakins that are supposed to go for the Florida job.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Remember when everyone was saying that Tavares was going to walk as soon as his contract was up?

http://www.tsn.ca/tavares-hopes-to-sign-extension-this-summer-1.720434

There will never be another young big name free agent again.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't think this plan will work.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Where does Lombardi end up?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think the Kings upper management is quite dumb
Very much so

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They also promoted Robitaille to President.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

I originally thought Blake had been hired purely because he was a star for the Kings, the fact that he has actual experience is a good thing for the Kings. He might still suck, but maybe he can sucker somebody into taking Brown off their hands.
He was hired purely because he was a star for the Kings.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It's a foregone conclusion that Chris Neil, who is dumber than you even think he is, will be going into the Senators front office. They're actively talking to him about what role he wants to be in.

Soon every org will be this except without the glory days to fall back on:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

They'll be the Nordiques or Frasiers soon enough anyway so no need to cause a fuss.
The Nordiques themselves were switching to angry wolf logo before they moved.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Gallant is Golden Knights Head Coach

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Go to cap friendly and look at their roster in 2024 and honestly with a straight face tell me that even if they do choose to finally blow it up and do a proper rebuild, that they'll be anything more than a first round sacrificial lamb by like 2030 the absolute earliest, just as they've been the last few years and doubtful they'd be much better for a few years following barring some incredible luck.

e: I did say, paraphrasing myself, "quite possibly." all it takes is a few bad hires and some lovely draft picks, and that 2030 could be 2040. Not to mention that if that stuff about Chris and the Illitch family are actually true, this could be a full blown reverse Wirtz situation
Where are you pulling these years from? Nothing in the NHL in 2030 is going to be recognizable based on now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

The Sabres spent to the cap last year and have horrible defence and goaltending. Basically all of their big contracts are bad, and their free agent signings all immediately regressed the instant they put on the jersey. The only saving grace for the Sabres is that they've been bad enough to draft high.
They had one of the best collective save percentages in the league.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

hifi posted:

john lynch recently went from NFL career to the broadcast booth straight to a GM job so the only qualification for mcguire that matters is that he's a talking head on tv, and any amount of professional coaching and scouting is the whipped cream and cherry on top
Matt Millen also went broadcaster to GM.

Didn't McGuire openly complain about not getting the Penguins job before they hired Rutherford? I feel like people have talked about him as a potential GM for a decade now, without much explanation as to why.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Brian Campbell is the only D to win it in the last 53 years, the last guy before him was Red Kelly. Unoffically, it's basically an award for the most gentlemanly forward. Not unlike how the Norris has sorta become the Art Ross for defencemen.
They always voted like that and a guy like Doughty won just last year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/857309055093690368

So do Linden or Benning actually know what a rebuild is?
Friedman talked a fair bit about them in his recent article and they're not rebuilding.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Kucherov is heroic and I will shield him from the 8 million dumb remarks thrown his way.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sens picking 31st.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

(Goalies shouldn't be nominated otherwise they should win the award every year)
I don't understand how people could still believe this.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Yaya posted:

I mean, announcing Bobrovsky as a Hart finalist means they might as well give him the Vezina right now. It's a pretty good indicator how people voted.
He was a massive favourite for the Vezina anyways but it's the GMs voting for the Vezina and the writers voting for the Hart and has produced big differences before. Like Varlamov was way ahead of Rask in the Hart voting in 2014, Rinne was ahead of Thomas in 2011, Mason ahead of Thomas in 2009, Luongo ahead of Brodeur in 2007...

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Goalies add more wins/losses than any skater
Issue: That's horseshit.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Not making the playoffs seems to be a huge black mark for Hart trophy voters, and I don't think that's completely unreasonable if you go by the "most valuable to their team" reading of the award (which most people don't). Plus Tampa were very good last year and took a giant step back, it's hard to say that anyone on that team deserves recognition as team MVP after that letdown of a season.
Yeah, the non-playoff guys who have been nominated consist of Stamkos in his 60 goal year, Iginla when he won Richard + Art Ross, Vanbiesbrouck in Florida's expansion season when he got an awful team to 1 point out of the playoffs when and Lemieux in his first Art Ross year when Gretzky got hurt and then no others through to the Original 6 era. Vanbiesbrouck's the only one where you could've seen them not nominated.

They also recognized Hedman for the Norris, which I think would take some shine off Kucherov from the voters perspective.

Hand Knit posted:

Burns is probably the favourite to win it if San Jose doesn't barf a fart down the stretch. As it stands, hard to fault the votes for Bobs and the two best players in the league.

The other near miss who you could make a case for over Bobrovsky is Kucherov, who had a much better season than seems to have been recognized.
Even if Burns and the Sharks had kept their pace I don't know that they'd have gone against McDavid's huge stretch run to get to 100 and clinching the playoffs for the Oilers. Part of why he was looking like a viable choice for the Hart earlier was that McDavid and Crosby were slowing down at that point (to where Marchand and Kane were leading the scoring race down the stretch) and Burns himself was pretty close to them points wise.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Worth every penny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I wish advanced stats were around when the Pens were complete garbage and basically an AHL team. I'd love to know what like Joe Melichar or Rico Fata's possession stats were

e: Or even better, the 93 Sens
We still have the shot data from that time. Hartford was worse in both shots for and against, and Ottawa's ratio, while really bad, doesn't stand out. They were also pretty even in # of PP/PK opportunities. They had by far the lowest shooting percentage and save percentage, including the worst powerplay and penalty kill percentage.

• Locked thread