Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JoelJoel posted:

Don't forget the wild! They suck too now! No I'm not projecting!

I honestly think this is the year the Wild and the Caps finally live up to expectations. I mean, statistically how many times can the Wild lose to the Blackhawks, or the Caps flame out in the second round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Powershift posted:

Wings fly away. Oilers gonna oil. Flames gonna flame out. Sharks are currently tanking.

Well yea, sharks need to be in the tank just to breathe.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like this is tempting fate.

Cubs won, Trump is president, and now the Wild and Caps get to succeed. Where's the playoff :toxx: thread?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike_V posted:

I am not ready for Playoff Posters though.

Chicago won a game on a night I made a post so my self imposed taboo was broken! Just in time for playoff panic!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Powershift posted:

if the flames go 4-0-0, the oilers and ducks 1-1-2 and the sharks 2-1-0, we get a 4 way tie in the pacific at 100 points.

Make it happen!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RC Cola posted:

So I really don't want the Hawks to play Nashville
Worked out well enough last time.
Blackhawks will lose in the second round this time though

Kilza posted:

Oh me of little faith.

FTFY.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Blackhawks are very bad when I show up, including a loss during the stanley cup finals, and breaking their "leading after two period" streak. So, I'm willing to sell my services to Nashville, or Calgary, or whomever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Olympics is good and cool, but these extended seasons are wearing on me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Unlimited overtime, but ever whistle the number of skaters goes down from 5, 4, 3, to 2 and then it's the shoot out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

I am a fan rooting for something I have no control over (and a lot of our rookies who got hot in the middle/late in the season are turning back into pumpkins)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DuhSal posted:

It would be hilarious if Kessel scores to help eliminate the Leafs from playoff contention. Would rather that didn't happen but I admit it would be funny.

Extra points in over time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Extra points in over time.

This guy wanted it for the leafs and the monkey's paw gave it to Chicago. Literally the oposite of anything I predict comes true.
So, uh, bad news Caps fans. (and Mnnisota fans who wanted to go to the finals)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Furnaceface posted:

I know Im in the minority but I love passing plays so much more than sick dangles.

https://twitter.com/NHLBlackhawks/status/850869048560672773

Quick had to scramble from one side to the other and back again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RC Cola posted:

Wolves won in OT. Good times

I heard they were being adopted by Vegas. What happens to players on the Wolves who are on contracts with the Blues? They don't suddenly become Vegas property, right?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
3 goals. 3 teams eliminated.
makes you think.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Number19 posted:

I haven't watched a lot of hockey lately, but have vaguely paid attention. Are the Hawks simply a team that has played too much hockey over the years and ran out of gas? Or is there something else going on? Is Nashville that good? That series result is a real shock.

So don't let their record fool you, this wasn't a good season. They tricked everyone by playing REALLY hot in February and most of March but if you watched them early you saw that they were a middle-of-the-pack team. They had some big losses to playoff teams (Like a 6-0 to Washington) but then those two golden months rolled around and they steamrolled into first. At the same time, teams ahead of them (Minnesota) just imploded in on themselves. So April rolls around, and they lose four straight inducing some really bad teams and back into the playoffs. So the playoffs are about to start and Anisimov is back in the lineup (I'm sure we'll find out later he's actually still hurt, because he played like a pumpkin that turned into an even larger pumpkin) and here is a fast team in Nashville, that is just flying to the puck and the old Chicago defense just can't keep up. These are All-Star players every year. They've olympic medalists. they've won three cups, and the conference finals. They refuse to be eliminated in less than 7 games. They haven't just played too much hockey they showed a stat in game one showing us how they had their rookies and everyone else has played 100 plus playoff games. If you were to add up the amount of games these players played over their career it would be hard to find a group who played more. So the superstars are all pushing 30 and above (Seabrook turned 32 today) so they're not too old but like you said they've played a lot of hockey. This year and last is what decline looks like. So the superstars are old and tired and the young rookies, who managed to find their game in the middle of the season learned the hard way that the playoffs are a whole different level. It was supposed to be a rebuild year, so we didn't expect Shmaltz, Hartman, Hayden and Kero to do much except learn how hockey is played in the NHL. You look at their journeymen players, like Kruger, and you'll see they actually played pretty well. Dennis Rasmussen scored a goal! Then there's the luck, which they had gently caress and all. For example game one was only 1-0 with the only goal of the game being a lucky bounce in the first period followed by 40 minutes of Chicago domination. Game 3 was tied on a bad call. Crawford threw a puck into his own net tonight when it got lost in his pads. Next is Peke Rinne. This man stole three games for Nashville (which two be fair, were already being stolen by Crawford). Two road shutouts to start the series, and general divine intervention and he only gives up three goals in four games. I don't care how much better the Preds are than the Blackhawks, you don't get a GAA below one, in the playoffs, without some absurd play. Reminder: Only one of those three goals was at even strength, And it wasn't just him. Nashville's Top line was skating circles around Chicago's top line and the whole team just outplayed Chicago in nearly every facet of the game.
So in summery:
They old.
They unlucky.
Nashville played really well.
Rinne is a god.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

After he made this post they never won again. So really it was all to spite him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hifi posted:

could chicago have kept teuvo and bickell?
Yes, but it would have been worse. Remember Bickell retired this season because of MS and it explains his rapid decline from Playoff Hero to Contract Albatross. They needed something to offer in addition to Bickell or no team would take him.

quote:

chicago didn't really make any deadline deals either. people poo poo on the vermette trade a while back because he sucked in the regular season but he put up 7 points in 20 goals, which is looking better than the hanzal deal right now.
Vermette was a center who could win faceoffs. For a puck possession team you can't have only player above 50% and the next two under 40%. This was the role Mikael Hand-of-Zeus played in the 2013 cup run, and it was Vermette's in the 2015 run.

quote:

it's been thrown around but it really does feel like we're in a new age of hockey now that chicago lost and LA didn't make it
There's still the Ducks behind Getzlaf and Creepy Roary, and the Penguins with Crosby and Malkin, but if We get an Oiler / Leaf finals it might be a preview of things to come.

• Locked thread