Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Almost time for the playoffs!
With the last spots still up for grabs, who will make it! Will the Flyers somehow snipe one? Nope. Will CBJ somehow pull off the President's Trophy? Maybe, if the Caps played like they did in Arizona more.

Is The Streak over?

Yup.

e:

MononcQc posted:

couldn't not do it

A SPECIAL WELCOME TO THE FOLLOWING WHO HAVE JOINED US
:rip: On April 9th, these lovely teams moved in :rip:
New York Islanders
Tampa Bay Lightning
Philadelphia Flyers
Carolina Hurricanes
Detroit Red Wings (Killed by Ken Holland)
New Jersey Devils
Winnipeg Jets
LA Kings
Dallas Stars
Arizona Coyotes
Vancouver Canucks
Colorado Avalanche

:rip::rip: First Round Losers :rip::rip:
Columbus Blue Jackets
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
Toronto Maple Leafs
Chicago Blackhawks
Minnesota Wild
San Jose Sharks
Calgary Flames.

:rip::rip::rip: Second Round Morons :rip::rip::rip:
Washington Capitals
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
Edmonton Oilers

:rip::rip::rip::rip: Conference Final Fuckheads :rip::rip::rip::rip:
Ottawa Senators
Anaheim Ducks

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sedative posted:

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/848316155584421888

This just happened. He's alert they're taking him off on a stretcher.

:stonk:

Do they know what happened?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

The Oilers are 1st in the Pacific in April. This is not a joke.

Probably will be 1st to be eliminated though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

violent sex idiot posted:

the oilers have returned, babe

Four games only! Catch them while they're still here!

(I'm sorry, I'll stop)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Have you watched a sharks game lately? In their last 10 games, the oilers are 9-1-0 with wins against both Anaheim and San Jose. San Jose are 2-8-0 with losses to Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, and Nashville, one of which they'll play in the first round.

The bracket again sets up the battle of alberta and the battle of ontario, but a couple hilarious scenarios exist now. Calgary is only 1 point behind San Jose, and nashville is only 2 points behind, so if they continue their slide, calgary could kick them down to the first wildcard slot, putting them up against the leaders of the pacific division, the edmonton oilers(ooh that feels good), and nashville could knock them down to the second slot kicking them over to the other side of the bracket with the Blackhawks and wild.

edit: if the panthers win all 4 remaining games, the losers of next saturday's Sharks-Flames game will face Chicago in the first round.

I was making 1st/1st/1st jokes. Let me make my bad jokes in piece before you rip them apart!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, at least Jack Johnson Sportgame worked tonight:

https://twitter.com/1stOhioBattery/status/848690491529076736

One thing to say:

:shlick:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

How the hell have the Caps only had 42 man-games lost to injury all season? That's insane.

Saving it all for the playoffs, duh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/ArizonaCoyotes/status/848942677722669058

Ekman-Larsson will miss the Coyotes final 3 games after his mother died from cancer.

:smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thufir posted:

Bettman must have a megaboner at the idea of using the Olympics as a bargaining chip in the next lockout.

gently caress Bettman. gently caress the owners more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

i am the bird posted:

Who will the US and Canada send then? NCAA and major junior players not under NHL contract?

probably AHL players without an NHL contract.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

Alternatively, let the Canadian women's team play in the men's tournament as well.

After that shameful performance against the US? Sounds good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

The NHL covering up concussion problems and such is a way bigger problem than a money fight with the IOC and IIHF, who are also scummy and greedy

As a whole, gently caress major sporting orgs :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

It sucks that we won't get to watch McDavid and Crosby on the same team next year thanks to the NHL being dumb.

Allow me to paraphrase DJ Exile here:

"If you want to increase popularity of your sport and the first slide of presentation on how to do so isn't 'COPY THE NBA', you're doing it wrong."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

T-Bone posted:

Bettman started in the NBA :science:

(there's a long running conspiracy theory that the NBA sent him over to ruin the NHL)

At this point, I'd believe it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So.

http://www.tsn.ca/how-the-nhl-can-prevent-players-from-going-to-olympics-1.715216

Burn the whole thing down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wonderllama posted:

Not around Marchand, he doesn't.

:vince:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:laffo: forever. Seriously how do you give up four unanswered to this year's AVS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

NHLPA could force the cage issue if they wanted and the NHL wouldn't have much of a defense. "Oh yeah we totally cool with our assets worth millions getting their face smashed in and care about it so much we'll force a lockout to keep visors." Good luck defending that.

But the players just don't give a poo poo because rawr hockey players are just that tough!

Until there's some momentum nothing will change.

Who pushed visors, NHL or the PA?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

How about settling tie games with a fist fight between each team's highest paid player.

Find out who really wants it more.

This.

Real talk:

Remove the loser point unless you take it to the shootout. There, incentive to avoid the shootout.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Krime posted:

Okposo has super mumps.

So does Letang.

and Stamkos.

It's all a cover.

Mumps all the way down!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fateo McMurray posted:

watch them put up a banner about it

More or less sad than the one the Colts put up that one time?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wtc::barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Time for Leafs fans to go into full on panic mode

E: also lol, I appear to have popped my probation cherry after 5 years for a lovely name joke

What is rivals.com?

Rivals.com is a sports website known for really stupid puns. For example, "Avalanche of Suck" is ok, but "Avasuck" is not.

The long and the short of it, no modifying someone's (or a team's) name to bash them, really.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Edmonsuck Suckers
Connor McFartHead

Brain Curry posted:

Milan 💩cic

:redass:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Hey I ate a probate for that and he only gets a spanking? The injustice!

Rabble rabble rabble

Mod sass. Punishment: :redass:

(real talk: I didn't give you the probe, but it's more contextual than that. Your pun was because a player annoyed you, Jamwad's was them being a smartass)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Huggybear posted:

I'm guessing meningitis.

That is a lovely loving disease and it royally sucks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know in Milwaukee somewhere there's a house with both Packers and Bears flags out front and a "House Divided" banner in the window.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jordan7hm posted:

Ottawa will win the cup and bring in a new era of terrible garbage hockey as everyone realizes boring systems are the hot new way to win.

Somewhere, Tim Duncan smiles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816569

Playoff thread?

Playoff thread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

Jim Benning decided this team was a piece or two away from being a playoff team so didn't sell at last year's deadline, made load up trades leading up to the draft by dealing away picks and prospects, signed a big name free agent and the team actually got worse.

Is that the worst lack of foresight by any GM in the history of the sport?

RWAS will probably want a word with you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So this means Holland and Benning are getting extensions?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Iginla tied for the team lead in goal scoring in LA post trade deadline.

Also hit 1300 career points on the dot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duckman2008 posted:

Kings won two cups in the last 5 years. I would take 3 bad contracts for two cups.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MononcQc posted:

couldn't not do it

:perfect:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

inferis posted:

I said the name but what I was getting at is what's the point of having a league that's women (plus a few men i guess).

I think it's time you stopped talking about this, because you don't have a clue.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

eXXon posted:

Who's ready for the two-line pass rule to come back? Replace every long breakaway pass with more pre-faceoff jostling, please.

:chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tampa loses their best player, barely miss the playoffs, and at the trade deadline offload a NMC contract and gain a draft pick. Yeah, I think he's doing pretty well.

UNLIKE ANOTHER PLAYER TURNED GM JOE SAKIC

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LumpyGumby posted:

On the plus side if Detroit takes 40 more years to be really competitive again, then that might be around the same time the Avs do too. Would be nice to have that rivalry again.

Roy vs any Detroit goalie inspired my love of goalie fights

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There, proper, proper title.

:dadjoke:

• Locked thread