Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Mike_V posted:

Today's Preds/Blues game is going to decide who gets 3rd in the central, I think.

This is probably true. They both seem to have easier remaining schedules than Calgary though so I could see both still avoiding Chicago in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Oh hey, Nashville successfully backed into the playoffs. Thanks for sucking, Kings!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

RC Cola posted:

So I really don't want the Hawks to play Nashville

Mutual but I think it is destined.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Bettman must have a megaboner at the idea of using the Olympics as a bargaining chip in the next lockout.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

Who will the US and Canada send then? NCAA and major junior players not under NHL contract?

There are also plenty of mediocre American and Canadian players in the KHL and other European leagues. Like Barry Brust and Nigel Dawes which are totally not names I just made up.

edit: lol Dawes got Kazak citizenship so he could play for them at Worlds so I guess he is out.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Mike_V posted:

You don't want to see the next Gates Orlando light up the Olympics?

That's a pretty sweet name, tbh.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Just occurred to me that this olympics stuff is overblown because they'll be cancelled once Trump starts a war on the Korean Peninsula.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Mike_V posted:

In another twist to this whole dumbass saga, apparently Vladdy Sobotka is coming back to the Blues this year and signing an extension.

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/849999020386910209

I fully expect him to be total garbage. I think this also means the Blues are going to bribe Vegas to take Lehtera.

The Radulov maneuver.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

That anonymously quoted dude has to be AsinHowe, right?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Man, didn't expect Murray would get the axe too. 3 years seems like a really short leash for a GM.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Buffalo is still paying Cody Hodgson almost $800k a year until 2023.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Number19 posted:

I haven't watched a lot of hockey lately, but have vaguely paid attention. Are the Hawks simply a team that has played too much hockey over the years and ran out of gas? Or is there something else going on? Is Nashville that good? That series result is a real shock.

I feel like in the past, Chicago had a great top 6 and good depth. This year their depth didn't produce and their top 6 got shut down. Part of it was Nashville really clicking at the right time and getting good bounces but the Hawks never really looked like they would win the series.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ummagumma posted:

Heck, they usually could count on 3 scoring lines and then use the Kruger line to flip the ice. They usually had a lights out top 4 blue line, too, but I think age has taken its toll on some of those guys.

Yeah I think the age isn't helping. IMO Panik, Kane, Hartman, and maybe Schmaltz were the only forwards that seemed regularly threatening.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I still think the NHL wimps out on recapture penalties, especially the Weber one. They backed down on the NJ Kovalchuck punishment that wasn't even as bad.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

I know the point here is that the Canadiens can't draft but some of his numbers are off (depending on when he put together the data). Montreal is at 6 players, Pittsburgh is at 9. Just makes me wonder how correct the others are.

They look correct, who is missing for MTL? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006929.html

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

If you don't learn the primary language of the species that's on you, Frenchie.

Mandarin?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

So am I the only one that finds it hilarious this ad started showing up only after the Blackhawks were eliminated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1ElUAI9dA

Curious about the logo usage too.. they got rights to both the Blackhawks and Blues logo, I guess because Gatorade has a deal with the NHL?

No, you are not the only one. I get a good laugh every time I see it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I assume they wouldn't have been able to resign him under the cap / he wanted a better shot at #1? Wonder what that means for Lack/Ward?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Thank god the system has been put into place to help struggling teams like the Flyers, Stars, and Devils out after they've buried themselves in problems.

I mean, the Devils have been bad for a while

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

And the Devils maintain a monopoly on active players taken at 1-1 who have never played an NHL playoff game.

Poor Yak City too, so far

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Stiev Awt posted:

Come to Nashville, Jordan.

Yes, this. Join the Nashville stable of small defensemans with Ellis, Alex Carrier, and Samuel Girard.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Especially when their grand plan is nothing more than adding vowels to make the spelling different without actually changing the pronunciation. Congratufuckinglations on condemning your crotch fruit to spell out their name to every single person they meet.

Kaeden
Kaedyn
Kaedehn
Kaedenn
Kaed-N
Caydin
Cayden
Caydyn
Caydehn
Caydenn
Cayd-N
Caedin
Caeden
Caedyn
Caedehn
Caedenn
Caed-N
K-din
K-den
K-dyn
K-dehn
K-denn
K-d-N
Caidin
Caden
Kaden
Caiden
Caidyn
Caidehn
Caidenn
Caid-N
Khaedin
Khaeden
Khaedyn
Khaedehn
Khaedenn
Khaed-N

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Overwined posted:

To the people laughing about the Rangers home "away" game, doesn't this benefit them? They effectively now get one more home game than anyone else.

Yeah it benefits them, I think we're more laughing at how absurd it is.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Despite SAS's traditional opinion of him, I'm thinking Carlyle should be getting a lot more credit for his coaching. Ducks really seemed to make adjustments that frustrated the Preds a lot and the last 3 games were super tight.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I just went through the Capfriendly protection / expansion draft thing and looking at rosters I'm thinking Vegas ends up with a pretty decent d-corp and goalies and pretty bad forwards.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

The most interesting thing about them is their goaltending will be pretty good. They're still gonna be real bad though. I'd say worst in the league but Colorado still exists and didn't fire Bednar.

I dunno, LV might be able to trap their way to a respectable-for-expansion record.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis being signed for the next 2 years at combined $10.25m is looking pretty cool.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Because there will already be plenty of buzz about new jerseys, there's no need to dilute that by rushing thirds out as well. Roll an extra one out for each team over the next couple of seasons when the initial Reebok surge has died down and you'll sell tons more.

Yeah, they want to space stuff out so there's always a hot new thing for people to buy.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They have 2 now!

The second one is 30 though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

They should move the winter classic/ASG so they coincide and do the whole week outdoors and that's it

Outdoor skills comp would be the raddest poo poo

Have the all stars compete in Crashed Ice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC635rC_1Us

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Both of this book's authors have now been fired for being jackasses on social media.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Trotz not getting an extension and being basically a lame duck is pretty rare in the NHL too so he must really be on thin ice.

That's what happened when he ended up leaving Nashville too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I still think they can be on the bad side of mediocre, rather than worst in the league.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

No time out after icing just means that no teams will save their time outs and we'll get more coach's challenges.

Apparently this had already happened to some degree. Timeouts after icings were way down after the challenge started.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I really don't understand why the penalty for an incorrect challenge is the loss of a timeout. The only reason I can see is that it's because football does it that way, even though timeouts in football and hockey have entirely different significance. In football losing one of your three timeouts can have a substantial impact on the outcome of a game and clock management. In hockey it just means your guys might be a bit less rested when you need them.

I think getting a challenge wrong should result in a delay of game penalty. It's a punishment more in line with the spirit of what occurs in football, and that's exactly what it is (the coach wasting everyone's time). It might even cause teams to hesitate using them in those situations where it comes down to the grainiest single frame to determine if a guy was onside or not.

Who am I kidding? Coaches would just challenge anyways and refs would be terrified of influencing the outcome and everything would be successful no matter what.

I think the way challenges are working now completely misses the point of why people wanted challenges in the first place. People want challenges to correct obviously blown calls (like Duchene's famous offside goal), not to make sure the call was perfect. IMO if an offside isn't obvious in real-time, it's close enough that it should count. I think the refs and linesmen are probably going to want to get it right once they review it, so they don't look like assholes, which is why we end up with 10 minutes of them staring at slowmo on a tiny screen. I think they should put a time limit on the review, like 30 seconds, or only show them the replay in realtime. That would save them some face, limit the time it takes, and should still catch the worst examples.

Goalie interference is a little more complicated I guess.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think it's possible to put a time cap on anything. What's the point of a review if it's not to make sure something was correct in the first place. If it's "correct so long as you're certain within 30 seconds" then it's not really a review, it's more a confirmation. It's the same with putting an arbitrary time limit on how long before a goal is scored can something be reviewed. What's to say a missed offside 40 seconds before the goal didn't fundamentally change the outcome of the attacking play?

Rather than trying to limit when they can take place or how long they have to be resolved, I think the best course of action is to discourage teams from making a hail mary shot at overturning a goal by making the punishment for being wrong actually meaningful.

I am in favour of scrapping goalie interference as reviewable though. It's a judgement call at the best of times, don't make it more complicated than it already is.

"Inconclusive" is already a possible outcome, adding a time limit just broadens the pool of situations that will be inconclusive. And I think that's fine, 95% of the game is played by one standard: what the officials can see in real time. Whether a goal actually goes in or not seems like a reasonable place to have a different standard, but getting down to whether a player was 3ms offside or whatever, which a linesman staring at him in realtime could not determine, and the player themself could probably not perceive or do anything about seems like bizarre unnecessary nitpicking. And, unlike a goal review, it is a question of whether active play should have been stopped, and what happens after, so you make offsides calls more impactful in ways that cannot be reviewed. For example, in game one if Forsberg had carried the puck across the line exactly the same, but then turned it over and the pens had scored on a rush, it would have been just as much of a missed call by the linesman, and just as important to the outcome of the game, but unreviewable.

I mean, I also think discouraging them would be good.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Oh yeah, the best outcome is to do away with the coach's challenge entirely but the league seems unwilling to do so despite it being wildly unpopular with fans. Matt Duchene being offside by a country mile one time does not warrant all this faffing around with iPads.

Also both Nashville and Colorado were last in their divisions that year. Though had Nashville won that game and everything else stayed the same, they would have finished ahead of Carolina and probably not been able to draft Seth Jones. Really makes you think.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

hifi posted:

I think i'd trade any attempt at fixing the offsides challenge for being able to challenge penalties. Everyone in the NHL repeats the mantra of "well we gotta get it right" and then it seems like every other game there's a slow motion shot of a guy whiffing on a high stick and getting called for it anyways.

That would probably make the crowd way more mad, more often.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

IIRC one of the answers to character questions about Rads last summer was "He's got a wife now! He's a family man!" So maybe we're in for a wilding now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Preds are either about to trade one of their 4 good defensemen to somebody that can protect him or are going to give Vegas a pile of goodies not to take one, right?

Or protect all 4 and expose some pretty good forwards.

• Locked thread