Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really enjoy how they can't even hide their contempt in that announcement.

And the NHLPA has now publicly confirmed that it has no interest or intention of being extorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it will actually have less talent than a World Championship

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's even funnier because this is the best group of young American talent on forward probably ever

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really do hope Ovechkin goes through with it. If he goes I could see others following.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

iospace posted:

Allow me to paraphrase DJ Exile here:

"If you want to increase popularity of your sport and the first slide of presentation on how to do so isn't 'COPY THE NBA', you're doing it wrong."

Bettman started in the NBA :science:

(there's a long running conspiracy theory that the NBA sent him over to ruin the NHL)

Powershift posted:

It sucks that Mcdavid won't win olympic gold for 20 years, but i'm comforted in knowing Marchand never will.

Retirees and prospect olympic competition sounds fun, though. Ryan Smyth passing to Jaeydin waznitsky-macdonald for the gold will never match crosby to mcdavid , but whatever.

Ryan Smyth is dead.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DJExile posted:

Tonight's Flyers/Devils game is going to be one of those amazing gong shows with both top lines resting and like 70 PIM isn't it

I'm surprised they haven't called Gazdic back up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

do you guys think Connor is going to hit 100 points

I think he tops out at 60-75 but it depends if he gets a lot of PP time with Laine

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

rise! rise! rise!

That's what Matt Martin is telling his elbows to do.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

shyduck posted:

Someone's getting injured in Newark tonight. Flyers have Morin activated and the Devils have a couple of their tough guys up.

they really don't, it's a bunch of AHL college guys and what passes for top six talent in New Jersey these days. No Prout, no Gazdic -- that's all the toughness the Devils have in the system.

I mean Miles Wood fights for some reason but he is not in any way shape or form a tough guy. He shouldn't even be a default tough guy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Gio posted:

none of those guys are the next wayne gretzky though

Jagr was #5!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

What's happening exactly? Paul Maurice is bringing in every Ohio player's family for the game?

Yes, in hopes of finding his real dad.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Looking at Sinsalo's stats, dude would make like 7m/yr if he put some of those years up now

Those are like 30 point seasons in the 80s.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
so Matthews is OK right because that knee on knee was brutal and Marchand shoulda impaled Dotchin instead

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hell of a tank, Canucks, you were too lovely even for the Devils.

quote:

Uh, wow. I hadn't paid attention to anybody other than my own team.

Isn't that kind of your thing?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought Juolevi looked pretty good in camp, but that's pretty meh production for his +1 year.

e: Although London scored a lot more last year, so not unreasonable.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zodijackylite posted:

My favorite part of the Buffalo rebuild is that they only had six picks in the draft where they got Eichel.

I mean they did have 11 in 2013, 9 in 2014, and 10 last year. This isn't exactly Vancouver.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

he was a coach on the Penguins early 90s Cup teams, head coach of the Whalers for a bit, an assistant on the Senators with some GM stuff in between I think.

Famously, after he was fired by Hartford, Pat Verbeek said it was the best thing that happened to the Whalers because no one respected him and all the other teams made fun of them.

you gotta post the article:

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/sports/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

quote:

We said McGuire was overemotional.

When the hallway curtain opened after a loss in Boston, McGuire was found by the media wildly smashing sticks against the wall. When the door opened after a loss in Pittsburgh, McGuire was seen knocking furniture around the coach's room.

We said he was full of himself.

Many times he privately said after a game how he outcoached the other guy. But it was something never really made public until May 3, when McGuire proclaimed that no coach in the NHL ``can outwit me.'' That quote ran in The Hockey News and raised eyebrows all over the NHL.

His fascination with trying to outwit the other coach may hurt the Whalers in the long run. Instead of playing kids such as Robert Petrovicky or Kevin Smyth long after it was apparent the team was out of the playoff race, McGuire would fastidiously match lines, go with aging veterans and make sure certain faceoff alignments were always followed. Instead of development, he seemed just to want to squeeze out two points.

Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens.

On the bench, players said McGuire would taunt the other team, saying he couldn't believe the opposing coach was allowing him certain line matchups. This braggadocio led Pittsburgh's Jaromir Jagr to mock McGuire in December. McGuire got Jagr for an illegal stick, and after Jagr jumped out of the penalty box, he scored on a breakaway. Although he had scored big goals in two Stanley Cup championships, Jagr called this overtime goal the biggest of his life because he humbled ``that know-it-all.''

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

He wants to, anyway.

I'd take him back on the Devils in a hot minute but he needs to bring beautiful prospect Igor Rykov with him

same, why not

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sounds like Sutter might still be looking to coach:

quote:

“I wasn’t really looking for…” Sutter remarked, likely referring to when Lombardi called him up in 2011. “I’m not going out soliciting. I have one of the best records in the history of the National Hockey League. If somebody is getting ready to win, that’s what they do; you hire really good coaches when you’re getting ready to win. Until you’re doing that, you don’t.”

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Seems like a pretty good move by the Hurricanes. Certainly more upside than Lack/Ward.

Well, maybe about the same upside as Lack if he isn't completely broken. Man I had no idea Darling played in the SPHL, what a ridiculous route to the NHL.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 29, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ward has a NTC so it's probably Lack who goes lol

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
devils are back baby

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

if the canucks won one of their last eight games they'd be drafting 1st

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
get that big WHL gently caress, sign Kovy, 10th seed inc

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/s...009%26page%3D18

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I didn't realize there was that much debate over Hischier vs. Patrick.

Hischier did look loving great at the WJC.

quote:

Ray Shero, New Jersey Devils General Manager
"Yes please, I'll take either. How's that?

"They’re outstanding players and Nolan, he’s obviously with injuries this year, I think it's been difficult, but everybody recognizes the talent he has and certainly hockey pedigree. And you see a kid from Switzerland with that kind of talent and you’re looking for centre icemen, but I think everybody in this position is not just looking for centre icemen, you’re looking for good players. And there are a number of good players here.

"Over the last couple of years you’ve had generational players and it's nice to see them prove it on the ice and you see a kid like Auston Matthews get 44 goals this year, from Arizona, that's fantastic. And obviously Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, all these guys.

"In those drafts everybody’s got 1-2 and then from three to 10 maybe everybody’s got a different list — I think everybody might have a different list from one to eight at this point.

"I can’t speak for other teams, I think, if we had the first overall pick, I think we have a pretty good idea, but again, I'd love to have that problem."

quote:

1st round CHL picks since lockout with higher GPG% of team GPG than Nico:
Tavares: 29%
Stamkos: 25.7%
Kane: 23.4%

Hischier: 22.6%

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 30, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Montreal did it first, technically.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

LumpyGumby posted:

They won him two Cups.

CLEARLY, we didn't win him enough.

well I mean he kinda won the first one

corn on the cop posted:

There's no consensus right now:

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-hischier-in-tight-race-for-no-1-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.736258

the swiss boy is beautiful so i lean him

Yeah I think I'd rather have the higher end skill but I dunno if Patrick ends up a Benn/Getzlaf type that'd be cool. Knowing Shero though he's leaning Patrick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hall-Hischier-Kovalchuk
Henrique-Zajac-Palmieri
Zacha-McLeod-Cammalleri
Wood-Quenneville-Bennett
Blandisi/DSP

Greene-Severson
Moore-Shattenkirk
Merrill-Santini
Mozik

Schneider
Kinkaid

eXXon posted:

No actually gently caress those two teams. Luckily this is isn't a great lottery to win but probably better than Yak City.

devils need to sign Yak

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

glynnenstein posted:

The original sin was the Pens stealing of Crosby from the Caps, the worst most deserving team in the league.

The Pens stole Lemieux from the Devils way before that

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder who Dallas takes. Sportsnet has that Finnish d-man ranked 3rd. They've already got two pretty good Finnish prospects on D with Lindell and Honka, I wonder if they'd take another.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's the best NHL be a GM out there, which isn't saying a whole lot I guess, but it's pretty good. They just added the NCAA as playable which is cool. Make sure and get The Blue Line Rosters and the logo/face packs if you get it.

I should run another sim of our be a gm teams this offseason.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There's also a lot of minutiae I don't really like. I enjoy building a team and all that, but I don't like having to renew scouts contracts and crap like that.

There is some minutiae I wish they had though. Like I wish they had a way to expand/edit the league (maybe a commissioner mode I dunno), and an escalating salary cap. The staff attributes/abilities/interactions are also way behind what you see in FM, and it'd be nice to see more media events like you see in FM (although maybe there's a mod that does this? I should look).

Aye Doc posted:

i am counting down the days until we can do another offseason draft, it's the best part of the season for me and my awful teams

Same! One year I'll draft a fourth line that plays NHL games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The timing matters a lot. It's definitely programmed in that the AI will ask for less (especially if they're bad) in February and around the draft (especially if the player is on an expiring contract or underperforming on a big contract on a bad team). You'll see players drop a * value all the time.

e: Checking out team needs is worthwhile too, different teams will value different players/prospects/picks depending on their needs/philosophy (rebuilding/win now/etc).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 1, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gaudreau just got Matt Cooked on a late hit vs Germany. I think he's OK though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/StevenEllisNHL/...-192552205.html

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The WC is kinda brutal this year. Gaudreau got hit really late vs Germany and now:

https://twitter.com/cmoresport/stat...23post472129669

Not a super hard hit, but definitely late and he definitely didn't see it coming. Schmaltz didn't look great going back to the bench.

e: looks like a concussion

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 8, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah, maybe. Landeskog is a dickhead in the NHL too.

e: annnnd Larkin gets boarded by Lindholm. Angry Europeans everywhere. Larkin seems OK though.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 8, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder what the hell his value is. My guess is, that at least for 2-3 years he's a 50-65 point player which is a lot of value but obv he has baggage.

There should be a lot of interest but who knows -- I'm sure he'll want a decent amount of money too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
thread: would you want Kovalchuk on your team for let's say 6m a year at 3 years and what would you trade for him

• Locked thread