Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Who will the US and Canada send then? NCAA and major junior players not under NHL contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

iospace posted:

probably AHL players without an NHL contract.

Oh, duh. I just lumped AHL in with the NHL for some dumb reason.

Well, I'm excited to see the US ice its best roster in years.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 3, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Schlesische posted:

Wow, Dylan Larkin did not have a good sophomore season.

He regressed a bit and I'm sure was a victim of the "opponents learned him good!" idea but he's also been jerked around by Blashill. They're training the kid to eventually be a center so why on earth do they keep playing him at wing on the third line? To be fair to Blash, he eventually reversed this strategy at least. But man, Larkin hasn't gotten much support.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Gio posted:

i wouldnt be surprised if the wings win the rest of their games and they lose out on a lottery position

Holland gonna trade that first rounder to dump Ericsson and pick up a third rounder so he can make a run at [insert soon-to-be overpaid UFA defenseman]. New streak, baby.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Toronto would be fun to watch in the playoffs but boy would it be hilarious to see them snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory and miss the postseason.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Of course stranger things have happened, but people are acting like the Leafs have already thrown this away and it's a coin flip from here on out. They haven't, Sportsclubstats still lists their chances of making the playoffs at 88.5% which are very good odds. If they don't pick up a point on Saturday and the Isles and Tampa win outright, then there's some concern.

Basically they gave themselves 3 chances to get a win. They were essentially up 3-1 in a series and now it's 3-2. Odds are still on their side, people are just panicking because well yes the Leafs have a history of blowing things.

Oh, for sure. That's why I used the "jaws of victory" metaphor. They basically have to go 0-2 and then one of NYI or TB have to win out. It's not super likely, but the schedules and the cosmic irony are not in favor of Toronto.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is Ken Holland still employed?

I don't think there's any way they fire him going into the new arena or right after Illitch died. He probably finishes out his contract and then moves on to President of Hockey and Pizza Operations or whatever the gently caress next year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Or he just stays until he dies because he has no desire to give up the power and no one in the organization has the balls to tell him to gently caress off

I forgot to add that he'll install Kris Draper as figurehead GM.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Thufir posted:

That anonymously quoted dude has to be AsinHowe, right?

I would 100% believe it, and he's not wrong.

That said, what a hilarious person to use as evidence in that article. Someone who "used to work for the Ilitches" is meaningless as an authority on the subject of what Ken Holland believes or doesn't believe. They might as well have literally just pulled a post from AsInHowe or anyone else in RWAS.

edit: upon reading the rest, that article is pretty poo poo and we learn nothing from it. Holland's free agents haven't panned out, the Wings haven't found a star in the late rounds of recent drafts, and Holland refuses to 'blow up the team.' Duh. The idea that Yzerman would save the franchise goes completely unquestioned other than to say that Chris Ilitch sucks -- which is true, but that's kind of irrelevant to whether or not Yzerman is a GM wunderkind.

RWAS could write a better article about Holland if we all took turns posting one word at a time. I'll start:

Fire

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 18, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yzerman may have been better if only because he isn't Ken Kal Holland but I don't know that I buy the arguments. There are too many variables to just suggest that Yzerman's success in Tampa would've also happened in Detroit.

1: would he have had the same power to jettison players like he has done in Tampa?
2: would he have had the same confidence to do so given his longer relationship with players in Detroit?
3: would he have the same supporting staff considering Detroit's sycophantic and incestuous hiring schema?
4: would he have received support from fans and management to rebuild upon taking over?
5: would he be a more conservative GM in Detroit where his legacy is on the line?
6: would he have had a similar stockpile of assets to work with?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

6 more refers to assumptions that the team wouldn't have pursued the same general strategy in the early 10s. The rest of your evidence is just "Steve Yzerman is a god" so I don't know what to do with that.

Look, I agree that Steve Yzerman probably would've been better based on Holland's godawful run during the same period and Tampa's general success, but that argument requires a lot of assumptions.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The Detroit envy mostly boils down to a) fire Ken Holland and b) Stevie Y nostalgia. It's not even clear that Yzerman was going to be successful when he went to Tampa, so the argument is ahistorical.

But yeah, Yzerman is a good GM, has done really well for Tampa, and would be better than Ken Holland.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

In Holland's defense, locking up DeKeyser didn't seem like a terrible move at the time. So, uh...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Barring some crazy outlier season next year, I doubt Holland will get a new contract. I'm going to be the voice of positivity and incredible delusion for RWAS.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

There are five different forwards from the 2002 cup team I would rather have running the team than Ken Holland

Kris Draper will be GM by 2019 so I hope he's one of them.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Twitter is dragging him so hard. It's glorious.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

DJExile posted:

Local NHL ratings are out. CBJ saw a massive increase to a 2.09 local. Buffalo leads with 6.22. Anaheim on bottom with a 0.22.

Detroit lost a third of its viewers this season which isn't surprising. Colorado lost two-thirds. Holy christ.

How do bad/good runs influence other sports' viewerships? I remember hearing an argument awhile ago about how hockey fans generally just like their team v. other sports fans who are more invested in their respective leagues as a whole (or maybe this was just with football, which has a shorter and more compact schedule where it makes sense to watch a greater % of league games).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Not that it wasn't already a concern with the firings, but poo poo like that Chayka news would worry me even more if I was a GM interviewing in Buffalo. Pegula, more like Caligula.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

It is truly a shame that St. Louis, the epicenter of racial progress, will not be competing for a Starnley Cap.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

They should move the winter classic/ASG so they coincide and do the whole week outdoors and that's it

Outdoor skills comp would be the raddest poo poo

I've been saying this for a couple years now. They need to cash in on the spectacle.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

It's this logic that has led them to increase the number of outdoor games in a season

It's kind of the opposite, though. It can't be a spectacle if it happens a million times a year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I hope they also add Oates and the team does nothing but pass to each other.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Preds should trade for Kovie and Schneider and make a run next year.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Folks, Shayne Gostisbehere, whose birthday is 4/20, got a contract extension on 6/9

420 blaze it

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The Detroit Red Wings will win a game in the 2017-2018 regular season.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanreal/status/874249296069234689

I've seen 14 teams make the SCF in my 11 full seasons of hockey watchin' since Lockout 2: Gary Boogaloo. Of those, I've seen 6 teams win, and have only seen one team not named Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Los Angeles win since 2008.

We're essentially back to this:

'95 - Devils
'96 - Avalanche
'97 - Red Wings
'98 - Red Wings
'99 - Stars
'00 - Devils
'01 - Avalanche
'02 - Red Wings
'03 - Devils

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The NHL had a good run of diversity starting with the Tampa cup.

Tampa
Carolina
Anaheim
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Chicago
Boston
LA

And they'll probably see another good run upcoming. Chicago (probably) and LA are done, and it's only a matter of time before Crosby is dead.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

If Letang is healthy the Pens have a good shot at a three peat too. Not a lot of significant roster turnover happening. Granted even if you're the best team you've got like a 15% chance of winning the cup or whatever so there is that.

Pens probably have room to add a defenseman, too, once Fleury is gone, yeah?

Edit:
gently caress, Pittsburgh is in great shape with the cap. They'll have to pay out a lot to RFAs soon but they're already 12m under and a lot of their older veteran contracts are expiring. And the Kessel/Malkin/Crosby/Letang/Murray core is locked in with great contracts.

gently caress Pittsburgh.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 12, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

2003 Blues: Spent $62 million, eliminated in round one
2005 Blues: Spent $28 million, finished dead last

Yeah but they tied for last with everyone else, which is true parity

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

Yakupov-RNH

He said superstars

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Is it even a guarantee that Vegas picks Fleury? Aren't there a lot of goalies available right now?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit

Nielsen
Zetterberg
Nyquist
Tatar
Mantha
Athanasiou

Green, I guess

Mrazek

And then who gives a poo poo.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

hifi posted:

he's a poor mans radim vrbata

Mikael Samuelsson??

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

bewbies posted:

Why in the holy hell does Todd Nelson not have an NHL job? Teams should be fighting over this guy.

fire holland
fire blashill
hire nelson

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Goddamnit, the thread title made me think that Detroit had actually traded for Girardi and I was ready to rage

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I just realized that sports talky guys, especially the Canadian ones, are calling Vegas the "Goldaknights" by dropping that first n sound. I'll never not hear this again.

Go goldaknights.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

How the gently caress does Drouin not get a 1st?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

T-Bone posted:

I mean he sorta did, Sergachev is that but more ready. You mean like a low first instead of the 2nd in addition?

Also why are the Habs wanting to trade Galchenyuk besides ~Bergevin~ -- their forwards actually look decent now with Drouin.

I'm an idiot and misread Sergachev.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

What about a package of four defensemen? Four is objectively greater than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Tavares-Eberle could be fun to watch.

• Locked thread