Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Ummm I think you mean Hobey Baker trophy winner Kevin Porter and Memorial Cup Champion Tristan "what a goddamned stupid first name" Jarry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Wonderllama posted:

I can't believe the caps are gonna let the pens win the Stanley cup again. I'll never forgive them.

Yeah, cause when I think of teams that can stop the Pens, the Washington Capitals shoot to the top of the list.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

DJExile posted:

Oh drat, I didn't know Murray was on the chopping block too :stare:

E: where the hell does that leave Buffalo at this point?

Jack Eichel.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
CBJSprague24 sorry that this is how your guys season ended, after having by far your most successful regular season and then having to draw the Pens in the first round. I want you guys to win a playoff series. CBJ deserves it.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
MAF posted a .933 behind a really shaky defense on the first shot but if you guys were watching, after the initial shot and MAF's awful rebound control, his defense bailed him the gently caress out over and over again. Dude wasn't absorbing pucks or directing them to the corner, he just straight up laid loving eggs into the slot and waited for a defensemen to clear the puck.

So, while the bad D led to the scoring chance, his poor positioning and rebound control led to a better scoring chance instead of shutting that poo poo right down. The Penguins were not good in the defensive zone, they were bad and lucky and CBJ deserved better than they got.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

grack posted:

Columbus had awful goaltending, awful coaching and they were incredibly undisciplined. They deserved exactly what they got.

All I'm saying is they probably should have been in more games than they were . This is probably a 6-7 game series with more 1 goal games if Pittsburgh got punished for their mistakes and CBJ had .900 goaltending.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

grack posted:

I am trying, and failing, to figure out exactly what the gently caress point you're trying to make here. Columbus played like poo poo and Bobrovsky forgot how to goalie. It's mind-bogglingly stupid to say they "deserved better" because based on how they played, they got the exact result they deserved.

Sorry this is so late. I'll try to be as clear as possible. The bounces for Columbus? They were the bad bounces. The bounces for Pittsburgh? Very much good time bounces. If the bounces are not so good maybe for Pittsburgh in the 2nd round, they are going to be losing the hockey games.

I hope this helps clear it up!

vvvvv it's all good my man, not sure how to explain a team playing really really well not being rewarded for it and a team getting out played and not getting punished for it in a way you could understand, so you just enjoy that torts hate boner.vvvvvv

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 22, 2017

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
The first period of literally every Pens v. CBJ game was Pittsburgh getting absolutely dominated in puck possession and chances. In fact, the only game that CBJ won is the one where Pittsburgh got punished for giving up shots and leaving huge rebounds in the first period.

Again, ya'll fuckin twisting the hell out of what I said. I said that the series goes 6 or 7 with CBJ losing if they get slightly better goaltending from Bob and they were able to cash in on really bad positioning and rebound control on Fleury.

Yeah they did some undisciplined poo poo but they were fast, worked really hard, and played some drat good hockey. You don't just happen to fire 50 loving shots against the same team that held the San Jose Sharks to 4 SOG in the final period of an elimination game for the loving Stanley Cup.

Lastly, why ya'll so hostile about me giving a team some praise? Especially CBJ of all teams. Like, what the gently caress?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Potentially not fielding the most talented squad when faced with impossible odds of getting to the post season, letting your young guys get some minutes against NHL talent, and not throwing good money after bad by potentially risking injuring your few and precious valuable assets, loving HOGWASH. How dare you break MY immersion.

Amuse me, sports players and businessmen.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Of all those names I found Kyler to be most offensive. Like, Kyle or Tyler, just fuckin pick one.

Those vessels of the parents unfulfilled hopes and dreams must have the middle names that can only be pronounced by a two stroke engine and hinges of a barn door.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Legitimately, the only Sequoia I've ever known was a black women.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I often wonder what happened to Stanley Cup winning goal tender "The Fortune Teller" Cristobal Huet. Not enough to google search it, but just enough to be like "man why do people think you can't ditch a goalie after he wins you a cup. Chicago did it twice."

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Oh man Anderson under loving siege.whoops not the GDT

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Levitate posted:

Can't wait for Ovi to bail on the NHL to go to the Olympics and all the articles that will be written about his lack of leadership and how he's responsible for the Caps not winning

I've specifically read things wherein the Russian national team is floating the idea that they will not allow NHL players under NHL contracts and will ask for players resignations before they are able to participate in the Olympics. This could just be a rumor or someone's good idea to poach Russian NHL talent back to the KHL.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I remember a game probably 4 -5 years ago, maybe more. It was a road game for Pittsburgh against Nashville. Close game, and the Pens ended up losing. The tenor of that mother fucker was that of a playoff game in the middle of the regular season. I remember quite vividly the PBP guys talking about how great a Preds v. Pens playoff series would be but how unlikely it would be to come to pass because it would have to be a SCF game and WELP.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Awwww hell yeah, that's the off-season, scintillating and dynamic discussion we've been waiting for.

First we'll talk about how only one is special despite it drawing middling ratings and not actually boosting the NHL's national profile. Then we talk about only the popular teams get outdoor games. Then we talk about the weather again, then bring up the outdoor Vegas preseason game.

Finally, we'll land at its natural conclusion where we all realize that an overwhelming majority of hockey revenue is generated by gate and concessions and not television deals. Being able to double or triple your home game gate while splitting the concessions between the venue is great business. Tack on the money the team and the NHL make by adding one-off jerseys it makes no goddamned sense not the add as many outdoor games as you can.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Gio posted:

winter classic was an already stale gimmick that was murdered by league over-saturation. once the novelty of having an outdoor game wore off it was just one of eighty-two boring regular season games.

Exactly, they should have one for every team in the league.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

ElwoodCuse posted:

This hasn't been true since they cancelled season. It's WHY they cancelled an entire season.

Your right, it's not an overwhelming majority it's just a modest majority. The only operating statement I could find is a 2009 Coyotes sheet and even their gate, concessions, and misc beats out their local broadcast and NHL revenue sharing totals. That's before the crazy Canadian television deal and NBC deals so it could wash that away but the Coyotes are historically not a huge draw.

Also, this loving operating statement is like "WOW Arizona is losing money like crazy."

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Wonderllama posted:

Congrats on being a senior Pittsburgh hockey fan.

Listen to this dude here, he knows a thing or two about Pittsburgh sports fans because he lives with the majority of them in the gulf coast of Florida.

It would suck so much if central Floridans that luckily got rich just decided to move to Pittsburgh. That's essentially what happened to Tampa. No wonder you are so bitter.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Infidel Castro posted:

After that series vs. Pittsburgh, may I suggest the Washington Honkies?

I prefer the Washington Crackers. Fulfills a dual purpose of being racist and also illustrating that they crumble under any pressure.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Whoops not GDT

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

hifi posted:

arizona does this and the problem is that nobody wants to see the california teams or the bad teams back east, and now you can throw in vegas/arizona as teams that the other side is going to have a hard time filling the arena half full

On one hand, you can't bank on opposing fans to fill your home arena. On the other hand, wow, the difference between Las Vegas and Scottsdale as tourist destinations. One business plan is a bit more tenable.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
gently caress man, now I like Towesy.

poo poo, I made his name an endearing fauxnickname.

This is the power of mutual hatred.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hahah they ain't calling poo poo all night. Gotta call an early super fuckin weak one to get the guys worried it's gonna be a tight game and just slowly let it turn into a poo poo show.

Whoops not the GDT! Sorry loser thread, uhhh, they aren't playing hockey. Don't worry, you aren't missing anything.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
It's because the Chicago cubs and Leicester City.

Also Chelsea won it's 7th.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Gonna be a boring rear end expansion draft because GMGM doesn't want to get his rear end force fed back to him by every active GM because he was a dick and swiped a good player using the entry draft fair and square. Remember the last time we saw a loving offer sheet and how that ended a career.

GMGM gonna take every backdoor make good deal to draft a weak rear end team and take on garbage salary to make sure he doesn't make waves and get blackballed immediately. Hell if Vegas knew what the gently caress it was doing it would have gotten some no name idiot to BPA the expansion draft then shitcan the temp idiot after a year and bring in a vet to "clean up the mess." That way you can actually score good players and contracts from the NHL squads the way the expansion draft is supposed to allow, without getting the blowback that playing by the rules would garner you.

Oh well, they don't have fans to disappoint anyway.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

The Golden Man posted:

This seems like a really weird opinion to me and I'm genuinely curious to see if you're right

Honesty, Holmgren got shunned by every GM in the league because he legitimately offersheeted Nashville of all places. Shut out by everyone because of a single offer sheet to a Western Conference team. You don't think GMGM gonna get the deep dick if he fucks over multiple teams who gave out limited NMC's like candy years ago to their vets and fringe core players because they were an easy value add to a contract that didn't affect their bottom line?

Dude is going to roll with concession deals or get rolled. He wouldn't be able to find a front office job in North American hockey because everyone knows everyone. Hockey is still hockey even when you are wearing suits and these people would think you are taking liberties with their carefully planned out team.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

The Golden Man posted:

I think there's probably a large "I could do that but I won't" unwritten rule poo poo attached to offer sheets that's not going to apply when every team is in the same situation here maybe

My opinion is all based off of speculation which is based off rumors of deals already been struck. Rumors I am hearing have at least 8 teams with a deal with Vegas that GMGM is going to pass on their player in lieu of another, lesser player and he can expect compensation in the way of picks. poo poo could be way off but the amount of politicking that goes on with just a normal draft and free agency I can only imagine how weird this is going to be.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
This photo makes me laugh so hard. I'm just imagining that the Pens parade is just Justin Shultz getting tanked while walking in shorts and a jersey.

https://twitter.com/melwedde/status/875029581476093952

Hahah the goddamned people cheering this dude public drinking completely out of context.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hey guys, I'd like to trade this boring for some exciting.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Over much much much over. You have heard of an Arizona team that has been propped up for a better part of s decade right?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
My favorite thing about goalies is they only ever fit in two categories. Fun loving goofball weirdos or the biggest rear end in a top hat for a franchise for generations.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Also, Fluery is the longest tenured Pittsburgh Penguin and most definitely was a franchise player here in Pittsburgh.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I believe The Fortune Teller, Crystal Ball Huet was a very very bad goalie who won a Stanley Cup.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Sup motherfuckers, I can't say if GMGM was trying to be on good behavior or he is just a suuuuper lovely GM but he has wiffed on literally almost every pick except Marchy I think. Wowza. That D pairing.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Sorry, just saw that Eberle trade and Cheecher needs to have a cross stitch that says "lord forgive me I'm back on my bullshit" next to his phone.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Capuano looks like he can be found just off screen in Yankeesfan.gif.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Levitate posted:

Seems more a Mets fan

The flopsweat and despair imparts that.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
You know what will really put the Caps over the top? The same dudes except older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Wait, I'm not up on my Canadian politics but ain't the current PM a gigantic upgrade from poor stomping, conservative idiot that was in there before or do all Canadians hate all politicians?

• Locked thread